gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Last month we got the trippy first issue of Grant Morrison's MULTIVERSITY. As a threat to the entire Multiverse has been discovered, we get a chance to visit other worlds. With this current issue, it's a continuation to the story but also serves as its own self-contained one-shot.

The story mainly focuses on two world's at war. With the barrier between the different Earths weakening, we see some of the citizens from two Earths. Surprisingly, the specific Earths aren't mentioned in the issue. For those that want to know, the solicits tells us it's the heroes from Earth-20 against villains from Earth-40. It's always fascinating to see different versions of familiar characters. This lets us see characters such as Doctor Fate, Abin Sur, Vandal Savage, Parallax, Lady Shiva, and more.

There's a great feel to the characters from Earth-20 and you get a sense of the scope of the dangers they're facing. Often when we come across new or different characters, it can be a little difficult to get fully invested in just a one-shot. You need to care about the characters and Morrison does make that happen. We're obviously thrown into the middle of a story but we get enough information, without it beating us over the head, to get a grasp of the situation.

Chris Sprouse's art is perfect for the world we see here. You immediately feel the pulp super-hero vibe. Seeing the designs makes you wish you could see more of these characters. Perhaps we will in some of the other one-shots, if they survive the war here.

The Bad

Because of the format of these issues, this doesn't quite follow last month's MULTIVERSITY issue. The idea is for each to be separate and tell their own stories while still contributing to the overall story. You're left wanting to see more of a continuation from that issue. There's also being thrown into the world, trying to get acquainted with everyone, and fast-forwarding a bit to an epic war against worlds.

The Verdict

Pack your bags because Grant Morrison and Chris Sprouse are ready to take you to a different Earth. With the story of MULTIVERSITY continuing, we pay visit to Earth-20 and get to see the heroes of this world. The introductions are brief as some of DC's big villains from Earth-40 have managed to crossover and both worlds are in the midst of a full scale war. The pros and cons of this issue is that it is pretty much a self-contained story. You can dive right in without fully needing to know what happened before. The downside is we don't get an immediate continuation from last month's MULTIVERSITY book and we can't be sure if we'll see any of these characters in the next. Morrison excels at fleshing out new and familiar characters and you can't help but wonder what he'll give us next. It's a grand adventure that leaves you hungry for more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'll agree that this issue felt disconnected from the last one. I also feel like it was missing the meta-commentary that was in the first issue.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

@dagmar_merrill: Awesome! Love seeing other reviews. I do agree about the earrings.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Really didn't like the first issue, too "meta" and weird. And too much wordy dialogue and monologues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Yeah, it may be in her personality though she was pretty snarky when she was defeated. It doesn't make the line any less awkward just makes it seem a bit less out of nowhere.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Trouble for me was that the characters were here for this issue and gone for this issue, it's hard to get a feeling for them in that short amount of time.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i liked it but that cliffhanger tho

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I'm staring to think that all of these issues are going to be cliffhangers.

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue

BlueBeetle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlueBeetle1

Eh. Didnt hate it or love it

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: it was supposed to be written that way. Other earths should feel seperate. Morrison will tie it all in eventually

kazekaine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I'll agree that this issue felt disconnected from the last one. I also feel like it was missing the meta-commentary that was in the first issue.

That's because its seperate one-shot telling a different tale while referencing that they all face the same enemy, i don't see how this is a bad it explained from the get-go, 6 one shots and Two main issues Multiversity #1 and 2

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because these issues don't have the New-52 logo on the cover, are they actually part of mainstream continuity? Or is this series just a big "What If?..."

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a 5/5. Although I wish it was longer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@xwraith said:

That's because its seperate one-shot telling a different tale while referencing that they all face the same enemy, i don't see how this is a bad it explained from the get-go, 6 one shots and Two main issues Multiversity #1 and 2

I remember that, but I still feel like it could have a little more connection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: They do have a Connection. Both of them had that haunted multiversity comic in it how significant that is will come into play later on. It's worth noting in Morrison's Seven Soldiers he did something similar and while you could see what was connecting them all the last issue really cemented that "these stand alone were a crossover and you would never know!"

In short - There's probably more to the picture here. Trust Morrison. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: They do have a Connection. Both of them had that haunted multiversity comic in it how significant that is will come into play later on. It's worth noting in Morrison's Seven Soldiers he did something similar and while you could see what was connecting them all the last issue really cemented that "these stand alone were a crossover and you would never know!"

In short - There's probably more to the picture here. Trust Morrison. :)

I do. I read Batman R.I.P. about three weeks ago, and while at first I was thinking "what the hell is going on" a lot, by the end I was like "oh, now it all makes sense".

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Captain13

Pure gold. 5/5

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didnt like this as much as the first issue probably because i dont really care fir the original versions of the characters in this issue. 3/5 for me hope the next issues better

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

didnt like this as much as the first issue probably because i dont really care fir the original versions of the characters in this issue. 3/5 for me hope the next issues better

You didn't like the Indiana Jones/Doc Savage-version of Doctor Fate, the boastful Immortal Man, or the high-flying Black Hawks?

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to read it today since I was so busy yesterday reading every Future's End lol.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

loving multiversity , like exiles and xtreme x-men i love alternate versions of superheroes

JSAVen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Kudos to Morrison, for bring back Immortal Man, the best thing by far.

Vandal vs I.M. Classic.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving Multiversity so far. This issue was awesome.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else here notice the "Superman created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster" credit even though Superman was apparently nowhere to be found in this issue?

cheluprim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has become one of my favorite series now :) I thought these versions of the characters were super cool and would LOVE to see a whole lot more of them in an ongoing series. Which makes me sad cause I won't :'(

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait! so the last issues story wont be continued?

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait! so the last issues story wont be continued?

Later, at Multiversity #2, where everything finally connects.