The Mighty Thor #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This is an early spoiler-free review of THE MIGHTY THOR #1 by Jason Aaron, Russell Dauterman, and Matthew Wilson. It hits comic shelves and the digital market on Wednesday, November 18.

While Jane Foster is now Thor, there are multiple threats that she must handle, including trying to beat cancer. That's the short and spoiler-free synopsis of the book, but don't let that fool you. This is a large and epic first issue. It's really hard not to get into specifics because there's so much to talk about in this opening issue, so we'll tip-toe as much as possible.

First and foremost, this is an outstanding place for new readers to jump on. Yes, there has been a ton of changes in the past few years with Jason Aaron taking over the Thor books, but it's all summed up here pretty well through Jane's captions in the opening scene. The issue really hits the idea home that what this book is dealing with is a person who is dying, trying to be a hero, even if it kills them. It's something we've seen in books in the past, but it's really the driving force of this issue and creates an instant connection between the reader and main character. We feel for Jane Foster and want to see her overcome cancer, so she can continue saving the world.

There is a much bigger story going on here as well that connects Earth to the other realms and the story is paced incredibly well and has this excellent, fluid movement from the first page to the last. Aaron is really growing the world in which these characters operate and his whole run with the mantle of Thor has done wonders with grabbing new readers, which is exactly what this issue will do.

THE MIGHTY THOR also shines in the art department. The team of Russell Dauterman and Matthew Wilson create this cinematic piece which highlights the tonal emotion of each scene. It's chaotic where it needs to be with the way the skewed panels are laid out and it's slow moving and engaging in other scenes, with a more standard and classic layout. The colorwork is bright but everything works well on the page and the shading is perfect. This is the art team you want telling this story. In addition, Joe Sabino does an excellent job with the lettering, jumping between some well-fitting fonts, and the lettering placement is perfect for leading the reader's eye across the page.

THE MIGHTY THOR #1 is a smashing success. It's one of the best first issues we've seen in quite some time and while this whole story is steeped in continuity, this is an insanely new-reader-friendly book. Aaron, Dauterman, Wilson, and Sabino have a huge hit with this first issue. Even if you're not a fan of Thor, THE MIGHTY THOR will be the book that will turn you on to the character. I highly recommend checking this issue out.

MeleeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

the story is good but bring our old thor with new amazing powers suprassing odin

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can practically feel all the comments about how Jane Foster isn't Thor coming.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I wish Aaron would go back to stories like the God Killer and that environmental arc. All these new ones feel too childish,

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

This could get ten stars and people will still hate it due to the concept.

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThunderingThorFan

"We feel for Jane Foster and want to see her overcome cancer, so she can continue saving the world."

Who is this "we?" Oh, the alleged huge amount of "new fans" that have failed to materialize. Gotcha! Well, the only thing I'm doing is rooting for the cancer to take her down hard and painfully for the anger she's caused me and others. I've ALWAYS hated Jane Foster but now I abhor her. So much so that I can't even stand to hear the name Natalie Portman anymore. Please Odin. Knock the hammer to kingdom come and wait TIL she reverts! Then, send Thors deadliest enemies to rip her to shreds! Nothing would give me greater pleasure to see! MWAHAHAHA!!!

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThunderingThorFan

@inferiorego: I read the first three crap issues. Worst waste of money I ever made. I am a THOR fan. The only one there is. The MAN! I would've accepted Sif or Tarene or Valkyrie in his stead without his name. I will NEVER accept some human loser stealing what has nothing to do with her! End of story. Humiliating him is part of your "awesomeness?!" Spare me. Is THOR the main character? No. Is his story front and center? No. Then I don't give a damn! Nothing is "awesome" without him. She is pathetic. Like anyone who is a real fan would buy her as a hero.

She's being propped up by force to look cool. She is not. She looks stupid. Like a homeless woman with fashioned trash cans on her. Even in Thors current clothing, he looks more Godly than she does.

I want to see GODS! Not pathetic humans who get sick. Adding humanity to any God is idiotic. They are by definition perfection. We are not. So I'm not missing out on anything but saving money. That said, I will be here every review to tear her down!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#9 pikahyper  Moderator

@thunderingthorfan: tone it down, if you keep up this attitude you might not be around long enough to complain about the next issue.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@inferiorego: I read the first three crap issues. Worst waste of money I ever made. I am a THOR fan. The only one there is. The MAN! I would've accepted Sif or Tarene or Valkyrie in his stead without his name. I will NEVER accept some human loser stealing what has nothing to do with her! End of story. Humiliating him is part of your "awesomeness?!" Spare me. Is THOR the main character? No. Is his story front and center? No. Then I don't give a damn! Nothing is "awesome" without him. She is pathetic. Like anyone who is a real fan would buy her as a hero.

She's being propped up by force to look cool. She is not. She looks stupid. Like a homeless woman with fashioned trash cans on her. Even in Thors current clothing, he looks more Godly than she does.

I want to see GODS! Not pathetic humans who get sick. Adding humanity to any God is idiotic. They are by definition perfection. We are not. So I'm not missing out on anything but saving money. That said, I will be here every review to tear her down!

...You're a very sad man, but I guess at least you're honest.

tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan: god bless you sir or madam. finally someone who gets it. this whole pc bandwagon among things is destroying comics, its even worse when fellow comic fans turn into SJW White Knights and blindly accept any piece of dung flown at them.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dark_Stranger

@thunderingthorfan - Let it Go.

Anyways. I'm for a change, as long as it's a good change, and done well.

I know a lot of people aren't happy about the whole Jane Foster, thing.

But I actually find it intriguing, and worth seeing where it goes.

tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: i dont think empty threats from comicvine white knights are actually....scary or threatening. growing a pair is the first requirement on the threatening quota, along with not being a tool.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kid_jakeriv
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beholdthevison: Actually I'm quite a happy man really. But they've messed with my two favorite heroes for far too long. Taking their iconic gifts and passing them on to other crap characters. Btw- it's a figure of speech to expound my hatred for Foster. I do have a life. I rarely post here.

And thanks @tedbundy654321!!!!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#16 pikahyper  Moderator

@tedbundy654321: meh, I don't make empty threats and I've banned people for less, his posts are toxic and if they or any like them continue and I see them I will do something about it.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 inferiorego  Staff

@thunderingthorfan: god bless you sir or madam. finally someone who gets it. this whole pc bandwagon among things is destroying comics, its even worse when fellow comic fans turn into SJW White Knights and blindly accept any piece of dung flown at them.

It's the Illuminati bruh

tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inferiorego  Staff

@pikahyper: yes, moderating a comic book website will be the highlight of your pitiful life. dude just go and do something that someone will care about than trolling people on a review. jump off a cliff or something. you won't be missed.

Only warning. Don't talk to people like you're better than them. We're all on this site. We all like comics. No reason to belittle others.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 inferiorego  Staff
    tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: i feel like somewhere in the multiverse is one. all seeing eye thor or somethin.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pikahyper: Is he breaking any rules? He could post less boldly and maturely but he isnt trolling or harassing anyone (unless comics are people to or he was cussing and you edited his posts), all im seeing is him posting a blunt opinion which tons of Thor fans like me, @asgaard, @thor_parker82, @conner_wolf, @lvenger, etc agree with for the most part (never hated Jane before Aarons PR Stunt).

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dark_Stranger

Some people are really taking this Thor stuff WAY to seriously.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Is he breaking any rules? He could post less boldly and maturely but he isnt trolling or harassing anyone (unless comics are people to or he was cussing and you edited his posts), all im seeing is him posting a blunt opinion which tons of Thor fans like me, @asgaard, @thor_parker82, @conner_wolf, @lvenger, etc agree with for the most part (never hated Jane before Aarons PR Stunt).

Indeed, a blunt opinion is not trolling, just because someone dislikes a poorly written comic and you think it's not poorly written, doesn't mean they are trolling.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inferiorego  Staff
    Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cgoodness: its all good. some people just have nothing better to do and being a moderator is like working at mcdonalds for this guy. he is pitiful, feel sorry for him, because he is part of the bandwagon and displaying empty threats most likely gives him a stiffy.

Ya no, thats rude

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: ok. Then let he or she, who has NOT insinuated that they are better than anyone else, be the first to cast the stone! Stating that I'm missing out on "awesomeness" due to my insinuated closed mind kind of makes you sound like you are superior too.... Just saying......

YosemiteScam2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read all the posts and i just can't see where is the proportionality that CV moderators normally have!

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

Meh...not touching this with a 70 feet pole.

As a fan I will speak with my money. I was definitely not a fan of the way Thor was depicted and treated recently, especially all for what felt very much like a publicity stunt. Now if this was all leading to something meaningful in the future for Thor as a character, I'll be more than happy to come back to this comic if necessary.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inferiorego  Staff

Hi folks.

I don't care if you hate Jane Foster Thor. I don't care if you love it. I don't care if you're down the middle, but please, talk to each other like civilized human beings. It's a comic and if you feel the need to personally insult someone because you don't agree with them, that's silly.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: ok. Then let he or she, who has NOT insinuated that they are better than anyone else, be the first to cast the stone! Stating that I'm missing out on "awesomeness" due to my insinuated closed mind kind of makes you sound like you are superior too.... Just saying......

That wasn't the intention of the post. I apologize that it was taken that way.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi folks.

I don't care if you hate Jane Foster Thor. I don't care if you love it. I don't care if you're down the middle, but please, talk to each other like civilized human beings. It's a comic and if you feel the need to personally insult someone because you don't agree with them, that's silly.

Agreed

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Batman3000

Whoa can't believe it got his heated in a review.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
    deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: yes, moderating a comic book website will be the highlight of your pitiful life. dude just go and do something that someone will care about than trolling people on a review. jump off a cliff or something. you won't be missed.

I lol at the obvious troll alter account created just to make these posts.

Also I trump your insult with nihilism, nothing matters!

tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well this escalated.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inferiorego  Staff

@opalance: nothing as a concept, the villain from Neverending Story, or nothing as a "thing?"

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TrueMarvel

Jason Aaron is a fantastic writer. The issue is that they STILL have not explained Why or How Thor Girl came to be. That is a smack in the face to Thor fans, and actually an insult to comicbook readers intelligence.

At this point, I;m not pushing for Thor's return. I no longer care. What I am pushing for is HOW AND WHY decades worth of continuity was crapped on to make Thor Girl happened.

1. No explanation of why Odin couldn't Pick up a Hammer HE FREAKING CREATED
    2. No explanation of why Jane Foster is worthy of the hammer. She is NOTHING like any previous worthy one
    3. No explanation of how/why the inscription on the hammer changed. Only Odin has the power to do that, or something more powerful than Odin did it. BUT WE ARE READERS STILL HAVE NO CLUE AFTER HOW MANY ISSUES?
    4. No explanation of how Jane even ended up on the Moon
    5. No explanation of why Thor can't pick up the Hammer
    6. No explanation of what Nick Fury whispered to Thor to make him Unworthy.
    7. No explanation of why the Hammer is killing Jane DESPITE The fact there is ALREADY a precedent that the hammer HEALS its wielder.
    8. No explanation of why the hammer turned Jane into "Thor" even though no previous wielder was turned into Thor. Other than Thor's mortal persona, no one has ever changed INTO Thor by wielding his hammer
    9. No explanation of why the hammer is more responsive to Jane(a non Asgardian), than it is to Thor (the guy whose power and name is literally on the hammer)

I could EASILY list these unanswered questions. This isn't about a woman being Thor. This is about why in the hell did have to be so forced down our throats in such a way that it is insulting. Miles Morales doesn't get backlash. Why? BECAUSE HE HAS A FREAKING ORIGIN STORY. We know why he has powers. We know how he has powers. And we know what lead him to using them for good. We know NONE of these things for Jane. And that is NOT GOOD WRITING. it is bad. It is neglectful!

This issue is only a good jumping on point, because NOTHING HAS BEEN EXPLAINED. There is no continuity to catch up on. It's just one adventure with Thor Girl after another. Any issue is a good jumping on point lol. There is nothing to learn.

They don't have to give us back the real thor. What they do have to do is EXPLAIN THEMSELVES. It is hard to accept change as it is!. It is even harder to accept change when the reason for that change is kept from you. The people who are STILL critizing this change have merit. I actally consider this WORSE than Superior Spider-man's origin execution. At least there was no mystery of how it happened. They didn't just throw Spider-Ock at us with no explanation and tell us to deal with it.

Rant over. Hopefully you pro-thor girl people, can kinda understand where I am coming from. Thanks for reading

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EarthsMightiest

If we have to endure Thordis then at least tell us what Fury whispered that started this mess.

tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tedbundy654321

@earthsmightiest: he whispered the SJW will destroy your corporeal form from the inside and replace you with natalie portman in thor 3.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_stegman  Moderator

Not since Man of Steel have I seen something escalate so quickly.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.