inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

In 2003, 20th Century Fox adapted Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN, a forgettable film that angered star Sean Connery so much that he quit acting because of it, although he's done some voice-over work since then.

According to Variety, Fox is looking to do a reboot based on the graphic novel. Ira Napoliello and Matt Reilly will be overseeing the reboot, which centers around Victorian-era literary characters: Captain Nemo, Dr Jekyll, the Invisible Man and others.

Back in 2013, a television series was being developed as well, but Fox never ordered it to series. No news yet on when this film is set to come out but we'll keep you updated.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Should be stop motion, Wes Anderson should direct

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

I would've preferred a TV series because there is so much you could flesh out of these stories, but this is good too.

I say Keira Knightly for Mina!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Oh Hollywood, you just love screwing Alan Moore don't you?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

Hehe.

I imagine Moore's face when he learns the news.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lurkero

What the hell? Are people asking for this?

No, unnecessary. Bad, Fox.

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm afraid.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd be happy if they did this instead:

No Caption Provided

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mutant God

I like the 2003 film

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By judasnixon

Hehe.

No Caption Provided

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the 2003 film

Me too...It sure was underrated IMHO.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

I'm not so sure I want this...

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

100 Times YES!!!!

I'd be happy if they did this instead:

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon said:
@captainmarvel4ever said:

@squalleon said:

Hehe.

No Caption Provided

He shaved?

So basically...Alan Moore is Cousin It if he didn't shaved.

XP

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

I honestly like the movie, I know it has a ton of problems but I still like it

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There already is a live-action version of LoEG. It's called Penny Dreadful.

Jaymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant_god:

If Sean Connery had just been able to watch Sean Connery instead of being Sean Connery, maybe he would have liked it too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm open to this. I like it when they adapt Alan Moore stories and it pisses him off. Even if some are good like Watchmen or V for Vendetta he'll still cry about it to his snake god.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@goonage said:

There already is a live-action version of LoEG. It's called Penny Dreadful.

I was just about to say that.

LemmyCaution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to go so well...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By amazing_webhead

my dad will love this...

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Hehe.

I thought the same thing - imagined him grabbing his head and saying "Not again." before going off into a long rant. Here's hoping they stick closer to the spirit of the series, and avoid being so bombastic.

I think it's because he's one of the few writers that can write an original story full of new ideas, even if he is taking established characters. He actually manages to make stories that take superhero and adventure concepts both modern and adult while inserting some fun. I do consider him a wizard in that way.

Avatar image for 12_percent_of_a_plan
12_Percent_Of_A_Plan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked LoEG. My uncle and I enjoy watching it, even with its problem.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never read LOEG so i have nothing to compare the movie against. I liked the movie well enough when it came out but I also liked Constantine (Film) when it came out. Then I read some Hellblazer comics and realized that while the Constantine film is still enjoyable as a supernatural/action/thriller, it has nothing to do with the source material which pisses fans off. I've never understood why a studio would pay for the rights to a property and then change everything about it except the damn name. So until I read some LoEG comics, I cant really get excited for the new film.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@kritikalmassx: I like the look for the 80's league. I just hope this reboot is more graphic and edgy than the previous one

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mutant_god said:

I like the 2003 film

Me too...It sure was underrated IMHO.

Whoa.. So I'm not the only one?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes please

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahaha, Alan Moore just tore down his house with is bare hands after hearing this.

But, I'm pretty meh about this news. I haven't read the comic yet, so I don't have any attachment to the series. But the first movie was a pile of steaming garbage and was so bad it made Sean Connery quit acting forever. So, I have little faith any studio (especially Fox) can make this a good movie.

SlimJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was, shall we say, less than impressed by this movie when it came out in 2003. I had actually read the graphic novel so I was expecting the film to be in line with Alan Moore's acerbic vision. Being 14 at the time- and not much of a movie person- I didn't realize how Hollywood loves to mess with things.

If they're really rebooting LoEG then this needs to be a HARD R-rated movie. With blood and boobs and full frontal male nudity...basically, do what @goonage said and just be 'Penny Dreadful'.

GoblinAlGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just rewatched the film and read the first trade not so long ago. Very much excited for this.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

They should make it a show. It could be like Penny Dreadful, only not boring as f*ck.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I am in the camp that liked the film. Obviously the source material was much better, as it always is. Glad to hear the reboot, looking forward to it. Would like to see other incarnations of the League as well hopefully.

And that 80's one? yes please!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I am in the camp that liked the film. Obviously the source material was much better, as it always is. Glad to hear the reboot, looking forward to it. Would like to see other incarnations of the League as well hopefully.

The thing that seemed especially dumb to me about the first movie was that the original comic was already so cinematic in tone and pacing that if they'd adapted it shot for shot it could have been an amazing movie, maybe even just as good as the source material in it's own way.

But I have to disagree that the source material is always better; Sin City was a great movie, basically done shot for shot from the comic, and ended up being a far better way to tell the same story. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is pretty campy, but I still think it holds up better than the original comic. And The Crow was an instant cult classic inspired by a comic so bad I can't believe anyone thought it would be a good movie in the first place.

And other films, like X-Men: First Class or The Dark Knight are so different from the source material that there isn't really a basis for saying one's better or worse.

As for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it's one of my favorite comics ever, but that doesn't mean it couldn't make an equally good movie if it were done well. And if it's not done well, well I still have the comics anyway, so to me there's really nothing to lose by trying, and maybe a good movie to gain.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@cosmicallyaware1 said:

The thing that seemed especially dumb to me about the first movie was that the original comic was already so cinematic in tone and pacing that if they'd adapted it shot for shot it could have been an amazing movie, maybe even just as good as the source material in it's own way.

But I have to disagree that the source material is always better; Sin City was a great movie, basically done shot for shot from the comic, and ended up being a far better way to tell the same story. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is pretty campy, but I still think it holds up better than the original comic. And The Crow was an instant cult classic inspired by a comic so bad I can't believe anyone thought it would be a good movie in the first place.

And other films, like X-Men: First Class or The Dark Knight are so different from the source material that there isn't really a basis for saying one's better or worse.

As for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it's one of my favorite comics ever, but that doesn't mean it couldn't make an equally good movie if it were done well. And if it's not done well, well I still have the comics anyway, so to me there's really nothing to lose by trying, and maybe a good movie to gain.

cool. a lot to discuss here!

1. so...we agree that the movie was cool?
  2. Ahhhhhh. Source material is always better, no matter what...hands down, every time. No way around it, it's like a curse. I like your cited refences though, and agree with Sin City, TMNT, and The Crow.
  3. agreed. They both...........lacked much. Yet had some highlights for us. care to elaborate on yours?
  4. elaborate on specifics why?
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#38  Edited By The Impersonator

I thought the first movie was enjoyable.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@cosmicallyaware1 said:

cool. a lot to discuss here!

1. so...we agree that the movie was cool?
  2. Ahhhhhh. Source material is always better, no matter what...hands down, every time. No way around it, it's like a curse. I like your cited refences though, and agree with Sin City, TMNT, and The Crow.
  3. agreed. They both...........lacked much. Yet had some highlights for us. care to elaborate on yours?
  4. elaborate on specifics why?

1. If you enjoyed LXG, I won't argue the point or say you shouldn't, but I went in with low expectations for it and still didn't like it. I knew they were changing a lot about the story, but it wasn't even that the film lacked virtually all of what I liked about the comic so much as that it didn't have anything I really did like. It's a matter of taste, I guess, but I just found it charmless.

2. So if you agree that at least those three examples are exceptions to your statement, then perhaps it's not always the case anyway.

3. To me, The Dark Knight is really the Joker's movie, and it's Joker is so singular and different from any other prior version that it seems like comparing apples and oranges; that said, regardless of how it compares to the source material, it's simply a great film. A good Batman/Joker film, sure, but really just a great film period.

As for 'First Class, while it changes a lot from the source material, I find (unlike LXG) it actually adds more character to the story than it loses by being unfaithful, most notably with the addition to/of Mystique's story. Making Mystique central to the story made the whole group dynamic between her, Xavier, Magneto, and Beast a lot more interesting than that of the original team from the comics. And her power works well to add elements to the symbolism that were never considered in the source. And her central perspective in the group made a story, which at it's core is about otherness, not be a simple binary between the perspectives of two strait, white supermen.

4. I'm not sure what you mean.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have preferred a TV series but anyway a reboot movie is good too. At least not another superhero movie.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the 2003 film

Me too, it wasn't horrible at all. I mean when you compare it to movies like Daredevil, Electra etc I never understood the hate this movie got.