inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Vertigo's 8-issue mini-series, THE KITCHEN, takes a look at crime in the 70s and what happens when a group of wives take over their husbands' territory. The book is written by Ollie Masters, with are by Ming Doyle, and colors by Jordie Bellaire. There are three issues left and Masters talked to us about this book and where it will be headed.

COMIC VINE: For those who have missed out on this book, can you tell us what it is about?

OLLIIE MASTERS: ​​It's a crime book set in '70s New York about three Irish mob wives who take over their husbands' gang. At its core it's about family, violence and gender roles.

​​CV: Where did the idea for this book come from?

​​OM: I never know how to answer that one! At the time, I was reading about gangs in '70s New York, specifically Irish ones and I thought it was a really interesting period to write about but it needed something else. I didn't want to just retread the same old gangster story. So I thought about it being the wives who take over, which seemed like a more interesting way to write about that period in time and meant I could talk about sexism and gender roles but wrap it all up in this gritty gangster story.

​​CV: One of the really great things about this series is that is really captures the time period. When tackling a period piece, what steps or measures do you all take to make this book fit into that world?

​​OM: We did a lot of research, mainly photos and videos to get the look of it right. I think if you can make it look right (and Ming has done an amazing job doing that) then that's most of the battle won. Other than that, just do your best to get things accurate but at the same time, don't feel like you need to overload your book with your research. It's important that you know it all but it doesn't mean you have to cram it all onto the page.

​​CV: Have you ever worked on a book with this much feathered hair before?

​​OM: Ha! No, but this is one of my first books, so I don't have much to compare it to!

No Caption Provided

​​CV: Is Tommy's influence on Angie going to be the undoing of Angie, Kath, and Raven?

OM: I don't want to give anything away but I'd say Tommy is (at least in the gangster world) a positive influence on Angie. He's teaching her how to stand on her own two feet and not take any crap from anyone.

CV: ​​More importantly, how are their husbands returning to the streets going to affect the women, who have come a long way in the past four issues?

​​OM: The husbands won't work with their wives and Kath, Raven and Angie aren't going to give up everything they've built. So there's going to be a lot of heartache and a lot of blood.

​​CV: This book does play a lot with power dynamics within the world of crime. What do you find compelling about this layer of THE KITCHEN?​

No Caption Provided

OM: I find it interesting because it's so fragile. Even the boss of a major crime family can be taken out if he pisses off too many people. That must be a crazy way to live, never sure who you can trust.

Also, it's the devotion these people give to the life. It's a 24/7 job that only pays well when you're high up in the chain but people risk their lives for it. I find people who wholly devote themselves to something (even if it's something bad) really compelling.

​​CV: What is it like writing women during this time period who didn't fit the society stereotype of the "Suzy homemaker?"

​​OM: I'm really happy to show a different side to things. It's always fun to write characters who have everything against them, and this case, they have their entire society's perception of their gender working against them.

Also in a weird way, it's made me feel better about our society right now. Don't get me wrong, things are still seriously messed up when it comes to gender politics and we have a huge way to go but at least we've made some progress since the 70s. It's not enough obviously and in some places we're regressing, but at least we're moving in the right direction.

​​CV: If either of you were involved in crime, in Hell's Kitchen, in the 70s, what would your role be?

OM: I can't fight and I'm awful with numbers, so I'm not sure how well I'd fit into the criminal underworld. I used to do bar work, so maybe I could just work in the bar where all the criminals hang out. ​

Thanks to OIllie Masters for talking to us about the book and make sure to check out THE KITCHEN from Vertigo Comics. Issue #5 is currently on sale.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

If there was ever a book meant for television, this is it.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2