• 89 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Let me start by saying I really love Spider-Man. When I started reading comics, I got all the back issues and MARVEL TALES reprints. Usually when you see a review start off along these lines, you know there might be some trouble coming. I'll admit, when I first heard the idea of Spider-Man going global with high tech gadgets and vehicles, I wasn't sure what to expect. This obviously isn't the old Spider-Man many are used to. Maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing.

We come into the issue with some major changes having taken place. This is a result of Secret Wars, which obviously hasn't finished yet, and the established 8 month period that have passed since. That means we have time for all these changes to have occurred.

In some ways, the series does pick up from where we were before Secret Wars. Parker Industries may have suffered a little setback but Peter was on his way to establishing the business. Here, he's taken it farther than we could have imagined. It make sense that Peter could have a successful high tech business. This is the guy that created web shooters when he was fifteen. It's always been a matter of him finding the time and focus to use his brilliant mind. Before this issue went on sale, there were some comparing Peter to Tony Stark. That is actually specifically addressed in the issue. There are some clear differences between the two.

With Peter traveling the world and having "Spider-Man" as his bodyguard, there are some new possibilities. I'll be the first to say I miss the days of Peter swinging around New York, taking pictures of himself in action in order to sell them to the Daily Bugle to make ends meet. That's why we have our back issues, reprints, and trade paperbacks. Having Peter create new tech is allowing him to evolve. He's not the punk kid superhero he used to be. Although, if he's going to be allowed to evolve, it's still a shame Marvel won't let him "evolve" into a marriage.

There are some moments in the issue that will take some getting used to. Spider-Man developing tech for S.H.I.E.L.D. again makes sense but is still a little weird. There were some moments where the dialogue was a little too tongue in cheek. But this is Spider-Man we're talking about. He's the King of bad puns. Seeing the citizens of Shanghai completely adore him during a high speed chase felt like too much. It does show Spider-Man has been able to upgrade his public image as well.

We do have some new characters to go along with the new situations. There are several returning faces as well. This is definitely a new chapter in the life for Spider-Man. Dan Slott took Peter in a new direction with the Big Time story arc. This is just taking it even further. And while it seems like things have completely changed for Peter, I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to completely mess things up and lose it all. That's what the Parker Luck is waiting for. There is, of course, a crazy cliffhanger ending as well. Giuseppe Camuncoli does a fine job making things familiar mixed in with all the incredibly different surroundings. You can tell he's having fun with the issue.

There is the downside of the $5.99 price tag. In its defense, this is a really big oversized comic. Besides the main story, we get five back up stories featuring the other Spider-Man related characters such as Spider-Man 2099, Silk, Jessica Drew, the Web Warriors, Miles Morales, and the return of a recently seen villain. The first four stories are five pages with the last containing seven. These stories weren't completely necessary for this issue. It felt like a continuation of ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL POINT ONE. The stories are great and get you excited for each individual series. It just may not have essential to force them upon Spider-Man readers. Also, there will be diehard Spider-Man fans that simply do not want a change on this level.

The Amazing Spider-Man is back. Dan Slott is once again moving Spider-Man forward in a new direction rather than fall back on the same old stories we've seen many many times. The changes are pretty big and will definitely take some getting used to. It's always nice to see a publisher allow characters to grow and change instead of keeping them locked in the same status quo forever. While some of the changes may be questionable, I'm definitely on board to see where it all goes. Giuseppe Camuncoli's art captures the new direction nicely. We have new faces to go along with the new locations as well as a return of many and some unexpected characters. We're off to an interesting new start. This may not be the Spider-Man you're used to but you'll definitely want to see what happens next. With Dan Slott, you never know what he has up his sleeves. This is Spider-Man and Peter Parker living up to their full potential.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

The fact that Marvel's writers address the people's complains INSIDE the comic, doesn't make either the comic better or de-values the question.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"This is Spider-Man and Peter Parker living up to their full potential." Perfectly sums up what excites me about this series.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am ready for Dan Slott to leave Spider-Man.

RedHood1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dan Scott should have been replaced for ANAD marvel

Mcaraballo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mcaraballo77

so spiderman decides to be peter parkers body guard....um why would a super hero do this? he has never been for hire? listen i understand you want to push spiderman to evolve... notice i said push.. this is a very bad concept. it makes sense if he stayed in NY!! but i get it we have two spidermans now. we are getting miles pushed down our throats now he is spiderman. and peter is whatever this is. this is to get new readers. but anybody who has read spiderman knows this doesnt feel right. grow up and evolve like this is not how the peter we know would grow up to be. since one more day marvel has been pooping on spiderman. im all for change and evolution of a character but this makes no sense at all. addressing them doesnt make it make sense. i hope if fails. i hope noone follows this crap. Peter should be in ny. married. miles should be called something else. marvel isnt getting anymore of my money. until they wisen up this is crap.

Mcaraballo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideycap: full potential according to whose vision? not peters.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Stahlflamme

The fact that Marvel's writers address the people's complains INSIDE the comic, doesn't make either the comic better or de-values the question.

Thor started it...

Mcaraballo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

"This is Spider-Man and Peter Parker living up to their full potential." Perfectly sums up what excites me about this series.

I'm excited for it as well!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well let's give it a shot... if your a spidey fanboy you will. I know im on board for it.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcaraballo77: I've always thought that Peter's vision was to help as many people as possible. If that's the case then it makes sense for him to go global and finally push his skills and intellect to the limits.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except his marriage and love life.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a decent enough start he's very Stark esk but when it comes down to it he's true blue Peter Parker. I also enjoyed the inclusion of Hobie Brown and Mockingbird. The setup with the back stories were pretty cool too though they didn't really show off Miles all that much and I'm not sure how I feel about a 6 month pregnant Jessica Drew fighting crime (Still interested to see if it's Clint's or not though).

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Superior Spider-Man, but I think Slott has run his course. ANAD would have been a perfect time for him to be end, but he just won't stop! How come we can have new writers on different books, keeping it fresh, but he can't try something new. I guess he did try something new with Silver Surfer, but I just want a new take on Spidey. Please Dan, for the fans, stop doing Spidey.

Mcaraballo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideycap: help people yes. that were in trouble where In NY where he lived and where his life and loved ones are. he was never a global hero. its a great concept but it doesn't fit right to evolve like this. its another gimmick for more readers. if everyone loves it great. but im done. this isnt the peter i grew up with. the concept of spiderman being a body guard is ridiculous. shows to others that his interest and responsibilities lie with peter parker. im a spiderman fanboy and grew up with him but this doesnt feel right at all and im not going to spend money to see where it goes either. Im older now, married and they couldve done so much better with spiderman. done with slott.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do I have an image of the Simpson's Comic Book Guy saying: "See, women have cooties and this is what Spider-Man can do without all that icky 'family' stuff. All he needs to be awesome is to stay away from girls."

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it does serve as INSIGHT. Explaining why a decision is made can make all the difference.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of me wants to get all of these number ones, bag them and wait to read everything until after this secret wars silliness is over so I don't feel like I'm displaced in time while reading my comics. I hate when companies do this.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Peter Parker, but I was tired of reading comics where he was just a photographer for the Daily Bugle or Mayor J. Jonah Jameson. After years if felt like Peter had never grown up at all. Spider-Man should always deal with Peter having to make choices about the responsibility of being Spider-Man vs. His personal life, but it doesn't mean Peter has to continue to be immature and unable to pay rent and stuff like that. He can still have problems but they need to be more mature problems that people deal with. I really loved what BIG TIME did for Peter because it got him a Job doing what he was good at. Inventing stuff. Parker Industries was just the next logical step of that.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well let's give it a shot... if your a spidey fanboy you will. I know im on board for it.

Well said.

@mcaraballo77: I've always thought that Peter's vision was to help as many people as possible. If that's the case then it makes sense for him to go global and finally push his skills and intellect to the limits.

Also well said.

@ducey13 said:

I love Peter Parker, but I was tired of reading comics where he was just a photographer for the Daily Bugle or Mayor J. Jonah Jameson. After years if felt like Peter had never grown up at all. Spider-Man should always deal with Peter having to make choices about the responsibility of being Spider-Man vs. His personal life, but it doesn't mean Peter has to continue to be immature and unable to pay rent and stuff like that. He can still have problems but they need to be more mature problems that people deal with. I really loved what BIG TIME did for Peter because it got him a Job doing what he was good at. Inventing stuff. Parker Industries was just the next logical step of that.

And thank you.

I will endlessly complain about One More Day until it get's fixed and I will continue to praise JMS's run on Spider-Man. JMS had the character grow up, do new things, and strengthen the relationships he had with his loved ones. One More Day reverted the character back to a point in his life he'd long grown out of. I'm looking forward to this run with cautious optimism because I like it when Peter/Spider-Man is written as a competent adult who has learned from all he's been through.

Avatar image for misternefarious
MisterNefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mcaraballo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misternefarious: @aros001:great points. i was tired of the bugle as well. i just rather have him in ny and miles somewhere else. that would make me at least give it a try. i love that he is growing up but growing up and not hooking up with the women he loves makes no sense in a human stand point. but in light of one more day they will not even go near that area.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This breaks my Spidy lovin heart. It's Peter Starker.

Avatar image for misternefarious
MisterNefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Ah it tickles my spider-lovin heart. Pete finally gets to use that big brain. He gets to live up his potential. I can't wait to see where it goes.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tony_Shark

I do like how Peter has grown after SW in his idealogy. I am glad Ramos isn't returning as an artist either.

I do wish that there would be more consequence to what Ajani did or that they have kept the reveal of the last page secret for a little longer.

This was an awesome issue.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was really good. the inclusion of the Prowler, Mockingbird and the Horizon lab team really sold me on this issue. and I can't wait to see the return of Doctor Octopus

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pass

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@donmeca2020 said:

Well said.

@spideycap said:

Also well said.

@ducey13 said:

And thank you.

I will endlessly complain about One More Day until it get's fixed and I will continue to praise JMS's run on Spider-Man. JMS had the character grow up, do new things, and strengthen the relationships he had with his loved ones. One More Day reverted the character back to a point in his life he'd long grown out of. I'm looking forward to this run with cautious optimism because I like it when Peter/Spider-Man is written as a competent adult who has learned from all he's been through.

exactly !!! that's the whole point in comics, is to try and whisk the reader away and try new and different things that are out of the ordinary.... as i said prior i will continue to read spider-man as long as they don't do anything lame to make him "diverse" and appeal to people whom have no idea of the character.

Ramior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowlock said:
@spideycap said:

Except his marriage and love life.

That the only thing who prevent me to read this comics.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sammo21 said:

I am ready for Dan Slott to leave Spider-Man.

+1, +2,+3 etc... If this was any other Marvel Title, I'd have dropped it long ago. To his credit, the most recent pre-Secret Wars stuff was decent. To be fair, I haven't got this issue yet, but I was really hoping for a new writer.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blackspidey2099

@dernman: More whining from you? Peter is as smart as Stark - therefore, it only makes sense for him to use that intellect in some way, either as a CEO or research scientist. Not only is this beneficial for him, it also enables him to help more people, which has always been his life's goal. Therefore, if your heart really loved Spidey, you would be besides yourself with joy.

The one thing that could be improved would be Peter married to MJ - other than that, this is AMAZING!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did they do that? A straight article or interview?

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@squalleon: addressing some reader's disliikes in the comic itself has gotten redundant. Redundant usage = redundant writer. I'll be looking for those negative reviews for the TPB

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I didn't like this

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

They mentioned a common complain in the comic.

@ducey13 said:
@squalleon said:

But it does serve as INSIGHT. Explaining why a decision is made can make all the difference.

Not when you simplify the reason for the complain and demean your audience.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book was a lot of fun.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@squalleon said:
@mark_stephen said:
@squalleon said:

They mentioned a common complain in the comic.

@ducey13 said:
@squalleon said:

Not when you simplify the reason for the complain and demean your audience.

Well at this point I think the fans who still hold the incompetence of OMD/BND against them just don't matter to marvel anymore. If in fact they ever did. They dug the trenches after OMD/BND and kept lobbing new Spider-Man stuff into no-mans land and found a new fan base or enough of the old fan base has just given up the fight. It's all about sales numbers and as long as Slott's numbers are good then this is the only Spider-Man that marvel is going to put out. For fans of the old Spider-Man as the reviewer says "That's why we have our back issues, reprints, and trade paperbacks."

That's it, marvel won, the marriage is history (and if you look at his current wealth Peter really made out by selling his marriage to marvel's version of Satan), MJ will probably soon be in Tony Starks bed. If you want any Spider-Man at all this is all you're going to get. I think the longer we complain the more marvel will just laugh at us.

Truthfully I find myself intrigued at the prospect of this Spider book, it reminds me of the Superman Family the way it's being described here. Still I've no interest in picking it up at 6.00. Oversized or not that's just too high a price to pay.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcaraballo77: Definitely understand and respect your point of view. I've just got a lot of (possibly unwarranted) hope that this will be a good new direction.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Squalleon

@mark_stephen: The complain has to do with Slott changing Peter to "Tony Stark-lite".

Its not only the OMD people.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@squalleon said:

@mark_stephen: The complain has to do with Slott changing Peter to "Tony Stark-lite".

Its not only the OMD people.

To marvel I think they would all be the same. This is now Spider-Man and there is no going back.

TWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see how they tie regent into it I liked him in renew your vows

TWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc ock is back

Doc ock is back

Doc ock is back

Superior Butler bot

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@twalker said:

Doc ock is back

Doc ock is back

Doc ock is back

Superior Butler bot

Wait are you serious?

TWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TWalker
exaffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pick it up but I have so much I still need to read. I really liked superior Spider-Man. What's the general consensus from die hard spidey fans? Good first issue?

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hiddenlight

This issue was majestic, by far the best launched this week, at least for me.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't read it yet since I have no money currently but it's definitely on my wish list

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dernman

@misternefarious said:

@dernman: Ah it tickles my spider-lovin heart. Pete finally gets to use that big brain. He gets to live up his potential. I can't wait to see where it goes.

There are many ways they could have done that without turning him into Peter Starker and throwing the core of Spider-Man away. but you know that OOC Fan-Fiction is all the rage right?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dernman

@blackspidey2099 said:

@dernman: More whining from you? Peter is as smart as Stark - therefore, it only makes sense for him to use that intellect in some way, either as a CEO or research scientist. Not only is this beneficial for him, it also enables him to help more people, which has always been his life's goal. Therefore, if your heart really loved Spidey, you would be besides yourself with joy.

The one thing that could be improved would be Peter married to MJ - other than that, this is AMAZING!

ni;dr

More pathetic justification to support OOC fanfiction from you? Haven't we done this dance already where you already got a warning?