gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

With each issue, Dan Slott shows us that Peter Parker's return to his body after Doc Ock hijacked it won't be an easy thing. Sure, Peter was able to get his body back but now he has to deal with the fallout from what happened while he was away. Slott keeps throwing new problems Peter's way and it continues to add to the tension of the book. What fun would it be if everything was completely perfect?

The biggest problem Spider-Man will have to deal with is Black Cat. Doc Ock showed no mercy and not only punched her in the face, he left her to be arrested. This lead to the downfall of Felicia Hardy and everything she's built for herself. She's not happy. Peter also has to deal with his new company, the girlfriend Otto got, Mary Jane's new boyfriend, as well as a bunch of people who hate Spider-Man more than before.

We also find out a little more on the mysterious female with spider-powers.

Humberto Ramos knows how to pour energy into his artwork. There's just something familiar and welcoming whenever he draws a Spider-Man issue. At the same time, it almost looks like he's added some tiny tweaks to Black Cat's look. Whether it's Spider-Man in the middle of some catastrophic action or close ups of the civilians in his life, his attention to detail and emotion is great. When Black Cat bares her teeth and claws, you will feel her anger.

The Bad

It's understandable that Felicia would be ticked off. She makes an interesting opponent for Spider-Man. It does seem like a complete change in her character, even though she started out on the wrong side of the law. The idea of Felicia putting innocent lives at risk or possibly teaming up with Electro seems a bit much. Her logic and reasoning is...interesting. She doesn't care why things happened the way they did. She just wants revenge. Of course we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Mary Jane's quick arrival and the specific mention of her boyfriend on the news felt a little too convenient.

The Verdict

Spider-Man is back and it looks like the old Parker luck is still around. Peter Parker is back as Spider-Man and Dan Slott is making sure it's not simply more of the same old thing we saw before. It's great to see the beginnings of the next chapter in Spider-Man's life unfold. Slott is setting the stage for new problems for Spidey as well as fleshing out the world around him. Humberto Ramos' art adds a fun and frantic feel to the story but also lets you feel the emotion the characters are feeling. Black Cat has declared Spider-Man her enemy and it feels a bit much but you can't argue that it'll be interesting to see how this story continues to develop. Dan Slott is keeping us on our toes and you never know what will happen next.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

I'm as big a Black Cat fan as anyone but Felicia's character does seem a bit off. I understand she's pissed but she isn't this cold blooded. I was excited for her return but she seems hardly herself.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I'm as big a Black Cat fan as anyone but Felicia's character does seem a bit off. I understand she's pissed but she isn't this cold blooded. I was excited for her return but she seems hardly herself.

There's no "but" my friend.
This is not Felicia.This is a brain-washed needy girl.

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Egie_Asemota1

Finally, Marvel found something useful to do with this useless Catwoman/Femme-fatale knowckoff. She's not just Peter Parker's booty call and she has some damn motivation and a chance to use her skills well.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not started on this series yet, how is the book handling Anna-Maria?

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mary Jane must have been on a ride a long to get there that fast :-|

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: @theacidskull: Yeah I'm not overly thrilled with Felicia's characterization. Which is weird than Slott is writing her so poorly because he wrote her pretty well in Big Time.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

I think it's pretty obvious: Venom switched minds with Black Cat.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

*sigh*

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly, this is F*cking ridiculous, you'd think that she'd give him a benefit of the doubt considering their history, but noooooo, she doesn't care, as long as SPIDER-MAN dies, it's all good.

Pathetic writing.

Horendous characterization.

@punyparker: @theacidskull: Yeah I'm not overly thrilled with Felicia's characterization. Which is weird than Slott is writing her so poorly because he wrote her pretty well in Big Time.

He wrote her poorly in Big Time too......if you're nit-picky with the writing,like me, you'd understand.......maybe her motives and ideas were okay,but her dialog was poor.
Here,she's just a crazy supervillian hoe.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy said:

Like it had.
Anna is still the best written character there.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maddpanda531

@wardishy said:

Like it had.

Anna is still the best written character there.

Still loving every scene with Anna-Maria. She's my favorite addition to the Spider-Man family in years.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Her personality and character was intact. She may not be the quintessential example of Felicia but she wasn't bad. Her language may be a bit different but that happens with different writers and as time moves forward. Peter talks a lot differently now than he did in the 80s. So was it the BEST written Black Cat? No, but it's proof he does know how to write her. That was my point.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maddpanda531

I'm really not liking Felicia's new costume. The shoulder eye things are very weird looking.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still loving every scene with Anna-Maria. She's my favorite addition to the Spider-Man family in years.

True.Excellent character.

@punyparker: Her personality and character was intact. She may not be the quintessential example of Felicia but she wasn't bad. Her language may be a bit different but that happens with different writers and as time moves forward. Peter talks a lot differently now than he did in the 80s. So was it the BEST written Black Cat? No, but it's proof he does know how to write her. That was my point.

You're right,on everything.

Also,Slott writes a bit old school,in a world where everything shows us that modern dialog is the best way to go.....that ruins it for me.
No depth in characters.Spider-Man is funny,so Peter and Spider-Man should talk funny-ly.Cat is sexy,so Felicia should talk dirty,with constant sexual remarks.MJ is struggling with Peter,so she should complain about it,and be very needy in every encounter with Peter etc etc.......there's a pattern....no surprise element.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ILLO_29

So, it only took Slott 3 issues before he started twisting characterizations to fit his story lines I thought he'd wait a little longer. This was my biggest issue with "Superior" was how he took all the supporting cast and just dumbed them down to make his story work instead of working the story to fit the characters. I'll give it a read and see maybe just Black Cat is just fueled by rage and she'll catch herself we'll just have to see.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Yeah everyone has fallen into a character stereotype of themselves. Felicia has always been a bit of a wild child, but she wasn't a "hoe" as you said before. Now it seems like all she does is make sexual remarks. Peter seems to have lost so of his depth he had pre-Dying Wish as well. It's still early in the return and I'm going to have faith characters become multi-faceted again though.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker: Yeah everyone has fallen into a character stereotype of themselves. Felicia has always been a bit of a wild child, but she wasn't a "hoe" as you said before. Now it seems like all she does is make sexual remarks. Peter seems to have lost so of his depth he had pre-Dying Wish as well. It's still early in the return and I'm going to have faith characters become multi-faceted again though.

I lost hope.I will gain it again,when another writer takes the mantle.

I hate how Felicia is written......when Ock showed up,and punched her(issue 20 of SSM) her first comment was "And here i thought tonight would be only work and no fun" ......WHAT possible fun would you expect from Spider-man ,if you haven't been screwing for like a long time,and you haven't spoken since Big Time?.....OH! and she "dumped" him for Daredevil.....i always found that extremely weird.

There's no need to mention quoted from the new ASM series,i disagree witht he direction,so basically every quote will be a wring one,for me....
Have you read Evil that men do?.....now that's how Licia should speak,and that's how they should interact with Spider-Man......she still loves him,feels stuff for him,but above all they have pure love for each other.Friendship.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Completely agree. Evil was my favorite personification of her as well.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Felt kind of short and not too much happened but still a nice issue. Although, I too am finding Felicia's actions to be very strange and very out of character for her.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Ugh...this is why I prefer Catwoman

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On its own, this was an entertaining and fun book. Spider-man comics have just gotten really outlandish in their plots and mixed up in their characterizations over the past several years even by the standards of comics. I just go back and read more of the old Spider-man stories, they seem to be better.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 owie  Moderator

Yeah I am on board with the problems with Felicia. This is just stupid. She's not the kind of person who would just go around teaming up with supervillains to get revenge, or act in this way in general. It's totally out of character. And honestly, if you completely change her personality, AND you get rid of the cleavage, what's left her as a character? :)

I'm dropping this book. It's a bad sign for the direction he's going.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poor black cat i can understand her reason but teaming up with electrode ain't gonna end well. Same for anna maria bring up back spock work but oh well i liked the issue.

Hope he and felicia can work it out some how maybe pete finds a way to let her get her respect back and lay off his back. It's not the right time for him to have an enemy that can affect his luck having a vendetta against him.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By comedy_brosUSA

@punyparker:

Felicia is Crap in this issue. it was soo poorly written. He even explained to her what happened. but no. She was like "forget you spider-man I just want you dead." That isn't like Felicia at all. I feel like Slott left out a lot about Felicia for us to give a crap about her being mad at Spider-Man. cause she was monologuing ( which the ones in this issue were soooooo badly written) about how before Spock attacked her, she had a lot of cool stuff and she was living it large.

Also, Slott has tried WAY.TOO.HARD. in this volume to make ASM look like An episode of "spider-man and friends" mixed with "spider-man(1967)." In this issue alone there are so many campy things. Definitely considering dropping the book. if I don't then I'll have to reset the way I think of ASM and just take it as a joke. Slott should've quit after SSM. I agree with you on that. He's just gonna go until he quits probably. because he IS "the biggest Spider-Man fan."

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker:

Felicia is Crap in this issue. it was soo poorly written. He even explained to her what happened. but no. She was like "forget you spider-man I just want you dead." That isn't like Felicia at all. I feel like Slott left out a lot about Felicia for us to give a crap about her being mad at Spider-Man. cause she was monologuing ( which the ones in this issue were soooooo badly written) about how before Spock attacked her, she had a lot of cool stuff and she was living it large.

Also, Slott has tried WAY.TOO.HARD. in this volume to make ASM look like An episode of "spider-man and friends" mixed with "spider-man(1967)." In this issue alone there are so many campy things. Definitely considering dropping the book. if I don't then I'll have to reset the way I think of ASM and just take it as a joke. Slott should've quit after SSM. I agree with you on that. He's just gonna go until he quits probably. because he IS "the biggest Spider-Man fan."

Read my review,i say the same things as you do....

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa said:

@punyparker:

yeah. I was gonna comment on both ASM issue 3 reviews but I figured I wouldn't. but I think a lot of people agree with what you were saying in your review. what you said in your review is what I thought when I was first reading the issue and judging by the comments, others agree. Personally, I would've liked slott out after Peter's death, but seeing how SSM was kind of his "well-known" story, I guess I'll let it slide. I just wish he kept Stegman bro..... I would've liked all of Slott's stories a lot more, and even with slot's stupid humor, Superior spider-man seemed more like a dark humor story. That's why I liked issues 1-4, 9-10 and the 2099 arc.

I noticed Ramos' art in this issue, or this volume, looks "less choppy" if that makes sense? And the way he draws Spider-man is a lot different in this issue. Electro is out of place in this issue and the whole plot of this arc is annoying too. it's the overused "we will kill you spider-man" crap we've heard for years, except every other writer seemed to pull it off better. At least change up the game a bit Slott. I think I would respect Slott more if 1.) he writes his characters truthful to their characterizations. 2.) Kept Stegman in longer/ uses other artists rather that Ramos or camuncoli. and 3.) gets rid of his stupid humor he always puts into his comics at unnecessary places. I don't have anything against Dan Slott, I just think Spider-man isn't an "amazing" book anymore.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@comedy_brosusa said:

@punyparker:

yeah. I was gonna comment on both ASM issue 3 reviews but I figured I wouldn't. but I think a lot of people agree with what you were saying in your review. what you said in your review is what I thought when I was first reading the issue and judging by the comments, others agree. Personally, I would've liked slott out after Peter's death, but seeing how SSM was kind of his "well-known" story, I guess I'll let it slide. I just wish he kept Stegman bro..... I would've liked all of Slott's stories a lot more, and even with slot's stupid humor, Superior spider-man seemed more like a dark humor story. That's why I liked issues 1-4, 9-10 and the 2099 arc.

I noticed Ramos' art in this issue, or this volume, looks "less choppy" if that makes sense? And the way he draws Spider-man is a lot different in this issue. Electro is out of place in this issue and the whole plot of this arc is annoying too. it's the overused "we will kill you spider-man" crap we've heard for years, except every other writer seemed to pull it off better. At least change up the game a bit Slott. I think I would respect Slott more if 1.) he writes his characters truthful to their characterizations. 2.) Kept Stegman in longer/ uses other artists rather that Ramos or camuncoli. and 3.) gets rid of his stupid humor he always puts into his comics at unnecessary places. I don't have anything against Dan Slott, I just think Spider-man isn't an "amazing" book anymore.

We didnt like what Slott was doing.That doesn't mean he wasn't doing it well.He was.
Now we don't like what Slott is doing BECAUSE he's not doing it well........

Ramos is bad here....he was good in the previous 2,but here he sucks.....the whole issue sucks.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By comedy_brosUSA

@punyparker:

\\

@comedy_brosusa said:

@punyparker said:

@comedy_brosusa said:

@punyparker:

We didnt like what Slott was doing.That doesn't mean he wasn't doing it well.He was.

Now we don't like what Slott is doing BECAUSE he's not doing it well........

Ramos is bad here....he was good in the previous 2,but here he sucks.....the whole issue sucks.

No Caption Provided

what do you mean? you said you think he's doing well, but then you say you don't like what slott is doing because he's not doing it well. I don't know what you mean about? do you mean about characterizations? sorry, I'm confused bro.

and yeah, issue 3 all around sucked. and Mary Jane was her normal Slott characterized self in this issue so I didn't expect much change.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what do you mean? you said you think he's doing well, but then you say you don't like what slott is doing because he's not doing it well. I don't know what you mean about? do you mean about characterizations? sorry, I'm confused bro.

and yeah, issue 3 all around sucked. and Mary Jane was her normal Slott characterized self in this issue so I didn't expect much change.

I say,we DIDN'T like what Slott was doing (Ock as Spider-Man,the whole story premise itself) but he was doing it well(writing,characterization for most protagonists,story etc)
Now we LIKE the premise of the story(Peter Parker as Spider-Man) but we DON'T like Slott's take BECAUSE he's NOT doing it well(writing,characters,story)

Slott should send MJ to Colorado,or something, and be done with it,so we won't be tortured anymore.........he's incapable of writing her.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa said:

I say,we DIDN'T like what Slott was doing (Ock as Spider-Man,the whole story premise itself) but he was doing it well(writing,characterization for most protagonists,story etc)

Now we LIKE the premise of the story(Peter Parker as Spider-Man) but we DON'T like Slott's take BECAUSE he's NOT doing it well(writing,characters,story)

Slott should send MJ to Colorado,or something, and be done with it,so we won't be tortured anymore.........he's incapable of writing her.

ok, thanks for clearing it up. I agree with you on that statement. And yeah, Slott just writes her as a nuisance and that's honestly how she comes off when you read his characterization of her.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Felicia's new status quo will finally make her a new foe for Jessica Drew as was originally intended by Marv Wolfman when he planned to use her in Spider-Woman's first series. Although, I would love to see Jessica Drew, Natasha Romanov, She-Hulk, and Psylocke assume the role that was once reserved from Black Cat: Close friend, ally, and companion of Spider-Man/Peter Parker.

BadLuckCoderre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By BadLuckCoderre

She does seem off, I'm sure. But I think we should all look at the big picture. Sure, Spidey decked her and left her to be arrested. But before that, before Superior, Spidey didn't want to be with her. So maybe all the things in the past have been closed up in her but now she is letting it all out. Makes sense.

Avatar image for eagle_vision11454
Eagle_Vision11454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@punyparker:

Kevin Smith took a lot of flak for the three-year gap between issues three and four of this mini-series. I’m not going to focus on that, because he’s nottheonly high-profile writer from another sector of the entertainment industry guilty of neglecting their comic book work for their day job, and moaning about the publication schedule distracts from the utter horribleness of the finished product.

First hitting shelves way back in 2002, “Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do” starts off innocuously enough, with Spidey and Black Cat teaming up to take down a heroin pusher named Mr. Brownstone. Okay, red flag number one. If you’re going to do a serious story about the drug trade, don’t name your villain after a Guns N’ Roses song. For someone whose entire shtick revolves around being a pot smoker, Smith sure likes his dated drug references. Another red flag? Mr. Brownstone supposedly molests teenage boys. We’re really going down that road, Kevbo? Terry Dodson’s art is pretty and all, but we’re starting to get an icky vibe here.

Round about issue three is when the trouble really begins. Turns out Mr. Brownstone has a brother, Francis Klum, who can teleport stuff and is transporting heroin into people’s bloodstream. Okay, not a terrible plot development. Smith’s definitely come up with worse. So Mr. Brownstone drugs Black Cat and the issue ends on a cliffhanger as he’s about to rape her. Wait, what? How did we get here? Where’s Spider-Man? Hopefully Smith will get back on track next month. But then this happened:

Flash forward three years later. Smith has contributed to the end of the “Bennifer” era with “Jersey Girl” and“Identity Crisis” has made rape the hottest comic book trend since the foil-embossed hologram cover. So Smith decides to ride this trend and make “Spider-Man/Black Cat” the rapiest rape comic that ever raped.

We now find Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in Riker’s for supposedly murdering Mr. Brownstone in self-defense. Matt Murdock shows up and gets all Elliot Stabler and insists on a rape kit, but, wait, Felicia says she wasn’t raped. So many twists and turns! This is like the “Memento” of comic book rape stories.

Then Spider-Man insists they break Felicia out of prison, and Daredevil agrees because, uh, Smith really needs an action sequence to distract from all this rape talk. Luckily Francis teleports in and uses his powers to make Spidey and Daredevil fight. (He can also control minds apparently.) Turns out Mr. Brownstone has been sexually abusing Francis for decades and forcing him to teleport drugs in a weird psychosexual relationship that should have stayed in Kevin Smith’s head. So he finally snapped, and when he saw Mr. Brownstone attacking Felicia, Francis teleported into his brother, causing him to explode from within. Oh, that old trick.

Then poor Nightcrawler gets dragged into this mess, because he’s a teleporter and what’s another guest star going to matter at this point anyway, and explains that Francis comes from a long line of Nazi-engineered teleporters who– What the what?? This is a Spider-Man comic, right?

Meanwhile, Felicia insists Francis turn himself in, but he plays the “you don’t know me!” card. Oh, but as it turns out, she does, in fact, know him. Because she too…was raped. Yep.

In an extended flashback, we learn that Felicia was the victim of a date rape during her freshman year at Empire State. She didn’t report it because she doesn’t want to be “just another statistic.” And thus, Smith lets a rapist go unpunished just so he can explain why this huge character defining moment in Felicia’s life never once came up before. Oh, but instead she learns how to fight so she can go all Charles Bronson on her attacker. But then he dies in a car crash, so there’s zero dramatic resolution. Back in the present, Felicia and Francis bond for like a second, but then Spider-Man and Daredevil show up and completely misunderstand the situation as usual and everybody fights. A gun blows up in Francis’ face and he flees, swearing revenge on all parties. (Despite the fact that he just bonded with Felicia over their shared trauma.)

First of all, for all intents and purposes, the story was over by issue five. Felicia didn’t kill Mr. Brownstone, it was his teleporter brother getting revenge for years of abuse. Fine. Weird and totally creepy for a Spider-Man book, but fine. There is no reason for the final issue and its polarizing twist. There is no reason for Felicia Hardy to be yet another female character whose tough, independent attitude is explained away by sexual assault. Black Cat is indeed now a statistic, but of a different kind. Smith basically just threw this major life and continuity changing event into the mix because he didn’t know how to end the story.

An epilogue finds Francis buying the Mysterio costume from Kingpin. Because remember how he turned out to be the villain in “Daredevil: Guardian Devil,” the only passable superhero comic Smith has ever written? Well, now Francis is Mysterio, so its like Mysterio is the bad guy again! You liked that before, right? Forget about all that creepy incest stuff and Black Cat sharing her deepest secret with a borderline psychotic stranger, because Mysterio is back! (Except that Francis Klum eventually stopped being Mysterio, but whatever.)

Look, no one is saying that “Spider-Man” comics can’t deal with serious issues. But if you ever need an example of just how far off the map superhero comics went in their forced attempts to go “dark” during this decade, look no further than “Spider-Man/Black Cat.”

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eagle_vision11454: I appreciate the long reply,but why did you write a description od "Spider-Man/Black Cat : Evil that Men Do" ?.....

Eagle_Vision11454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: It shows off how horrible and stupid that storyline was.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: It shows off how horrible and stupid that storyline was.

Maybe,but the characterization and writing,is one of the best Black Cat has got over the years.....now that maybe considered not too good ,as well,but what can you do....

Eagle_Vision11454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: You'd be wrong

That's your opinion,with which i don't agree.
I thought the writing was cool.Story may be problematique,but writing's nice.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By animehunter
Eagle_Vision11454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers