undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Puny Parker simply cannot catch one single break. After helping defeat the Inheritors and saving the Web of Fate from the machinations, and wild knifings, of Doc Ock, he’s returned to the proper world, only to be accosted by reptile-based super villainy, though likely not the first one you’d expect, and be confronted with the fact that his company is about to lose out a massive bid to build a super-villain prison to Alchemax. Oh and the Black Cat’s still after him in her much more driven way, and Alchemax is doing a little industrial sabotage, super-villain style. Dan Slott and Christos Gage have their own Spider-Man Team-Up to handle writing this issue, and it goes mostly well. The Iguana’s a great second (or third)-tier villain who seems genuinely put off by Spidey’s rude method of fighting him (while on the phone. Kids these days) and sounding like he as some legitimate, ironic grievances. The second half of the issue also focuses much more on Black Cat and her continuing transformation, helping to cement both the idea of it and the motivation behind it, and that feels like something that was really missing. Clearly she had the right to be angry after being brutalized by Superior Spider-Man, but to take it as far in the other direction as she did felt unearned, and this segment helped bring her reasoning into more solid terms.

Humberto Ramos returns to pencils, bringing his wild, kinetic style back to one of the characters best-suited to it and early on in the issue, this does indeed feel like a homecoming. Spidey’s back fighting a strange, somewhat goofy, foe in all his angular, animate glory and Ramos’ pencils do a great job of blocking and creating the illusion of motion just as Victor Olazaba’s inks do tremendous work and lending weight and impact to the action, helping to create a sense of life and animation. The colors, by Edgar Delgado, flesh that sense of life out, giving the panels verve and setting a more light-hearted tone than what’s been the focus of the past several issues.

The Bad

As great as it feels coming back, it also feels like Spidey, and us by extension, are stuck in a loop. Nothing has changed for his life outside of being Spider-Man since Superior Spider-Man and obviously he’s been through a lot, but since there was no time to adjust to the new status quo, this issue feels like a retread. Beyond that, Parker’s life post Superior felt like there was a lot of room to tell new, interesting stories but Parker Industries is beginning to feel like the Bugle 2.0, complete with shouting boss, platonic ally and even a heated rival within the same industry that will likely become something much, much more dire.

While the visuals look great in action, the parts of the issue that are more staid and subdued actually wind up looking like they’re lacking in detail and falling flat. The art looks rushed, particularly near the issue’s end.

The Verdict

A slight stumble is hardly unexpected after a story as consistently great, epic and even world-shattering as Spider-Verse and while it’s good to see Peter return to his more grounded roots, it’s also beginning to feel rote and in need of some shaking up. This will hopefully be a minor speedbump on the road to re-establishing the status quo and re-establishing the new direction for Spidey to go in.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Man, 3 out of 5? Ouch. I haven't read it yet, but as an enormous Superior Spidey fan (as anyone that reads my comments on Spidey reviews probably knows at this point), I kind of don't want things to go back to business as usual with Peter. The first arc of this series was pretty good, but I can't help but want Peter gone. SpOck had years of storytelling potential, so to see him brought to an end while Peter goes back to the ol' Parker Luck is frustrating. I'm counting down the days until we figure out what the "sleep mode" panel from the epilogue of Spider-Verse turns out to mean.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant believe they brougth ramos back ugh

and whave i felt like i read this issue seeral times before?

spiderman talks on phone while fighting an enemy, when he has to be at a place in time for special event as peter parker?

and how many times are gonna see black cat sulk about losing her stuff? geez get on with it SLOTT

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By HumanRocket

Series is becoming really bland at this point. I was hoping that Spider-Verse would shake up Peter's life a bit, but nothing really came out of Spider-Verse that changed the status quo. Might take a break from this book til things start to pick up.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Black Cat stuff was interesting.

Her powers might be what caused her change in personality.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ParaChomp

I haven't read Spider-Verse yet but it's a shame Spider-Man's once again stuck back in a loop while the rest of Marvel's cast is evolving in some form. Hope that poster they teased a while back is built up to.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the time, I like Dan Slott's writing and I absolutely love his enthusiasm for the character, but I think it'd be really cool if they let someone else take over the series, if only for a little bit.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: You've got that right, I really miss Otto as Spidey, screw the status quo.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horrible art, basic and uninteresting story. Get rid of Slott and Ramos and this series might be able to redeem the glorious title of the "Amazing" Spider-Man. The only reason I am buying this book is because of the title. How come every other spider book can get it right? Ultimate Spider-Man has been 100 times, Spider-Gwen is fresh, and Spider-Man 2099 is exciting. Not to mention the many other good spider titles. As much as I want this series to be good, I don't see it happening with this team. That's not to say i don't like Slott because I think his Silver Surfer series is solid.

Avatar image for everybodyhateschris
EverybodyHatesChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this was a fair rating from @undeadpool. I too think it is 3 out of 5. The issue was just another one of those Peter is bad at being on top of things because his plate is full. I am a huge (Big Fan :p) of Spider-man but this issue was plain and was mostly setting up what to come. But not such a great follow up to the crazy event of spider-verse. Especially if you still riding the high from that event. I did enjoy the Black Cat back story that puts an interesting twist to her story development.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring it as solidly as you want, my issue is, Black Cat has never been a villain and portraying her as one is something I simply can not abide.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issues like this are why I've never really been able to get into Spider-Man much. When he continually has bad luck and can't get anywhere on time or keep things together, it's not really funny or dramatic anymore. It's been happening for forty or so years.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

When's the upcoming crime thriller arc gonna happen again?

bdelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: agree completely. I am officially on break from spider-man. Superior was frustrating at times, but at least it was interesting!

great_k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see Slott admitted this week that Spider-verse was initially supposed to be a Superior Spider-man driven title. Makes sense now why Otto is the outstanding character in most of series: creating portal jumping tech, building spider-army, convincing Ben to join spider-army etc... explains why Peter felt like he was just along for the ride for most of spider-verse.

Seriously it is obvious that Slott has no motivation to write interesting Peter Parker stories since he created Superior spider-man. Peter Parker is not a boring character and his appearance in thousands of issues since his start as a high school student to where he is now, including something like 3 ongoing solo titles in the 80s, is a testament to this.

Slott is incapable of bringing out the best of Peter Parker spider-man into comics. The author is the weak link not the character.

I've said it time and time again. Slott writes excellent Superior spider-man stories so marvel should just give him his own alternate reality Superior title and get some one capable of writing good Peter Parker stories to work on Amazing.

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay I am just going to say this, "PETER PARKER GROW UP! YOU ARE AN ADULT!!! DELEGATE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES!!!"

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott has been off his game lately. Spider-Verse was fun, but the story wasn't amazing. I loved Superior Spider-Man, but I feel after that its kinda sucked. Plus I want Stegman back on art

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egie_asemota1 said:

Okay I am just going to say this, "PETER PARKER GROW UP! YOU ARE AN ADULT!!! DELEGATE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES!!!"

thank you, one of us needed to tell him that

this is literally the WORST he's ever been, I used to want to be pete, now I'm embarrassed to read his stories

great_k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By great_k
@dathomiesilversurfer said:

@egie_asemota1 said:

thank you, one of us needed to tell him that

this is literally the WORST he's ever been, I used to want to be pete, now I'm embarrassed to read his stories

The problem is Slott's writing not Peter Parker. Slott has no idea how to handle the character.

All this negativity should be aimed at Slott.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to suggest it but maybe like Moffat on Doctor Who, Slott's time on Spidey is up. When i came back into comics, Slott was at the helm and it was honestly the first time I loved Spider-Man. Because Slott was willing to do all these outrageous and daring ideas. Similar to how I loved Moffat's approach to a dark and unknown danger in Doctor Who (The Angels, The Silence, etc).

But after a while its obvious that fresh blood with new ideas (not someone willing to pilot Peter back into his glory days or glory emotional phase) is needed. I love what Slott is doing in Silver Surfer. Maybe after Secret Wars we will see him venture onto another book and Spidey will be under the reigns of someone else.

Note I'm not adding to the Dan Slott hate here. I've met the man and he's a big fan of the character and I still hold Superior Spider-Man as one of the best Spidey stories I've had the pleasure to read. I just think maybe it's time for a changing of the guard and new projects.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: Agreed. SpOck was too daring of an idea to go quietly like he did. I wanna know about that sleep mode more than ever now.

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@parachomp: i hope the 'Renew your Vows' secret wars comic retcons that mess.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't buy the Black Cat stuff. She would have lost all that rage and motivation by now.

takashi_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im really getting tired of the art in these issues.

deathcamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deathcamps

I am getting kinda bored of Dan Slott at this point and want something new, wouldn't have minded if he left the title after Spider-Verse even for a little bit maybe.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, 3 out of 5? Ouch. I haven't read it yet, but as an enormous Superior Spidey fan (as anyone that reads my comments on Spidey reviews probably knows at this point), I kind of don't want things to go back to business as usual with Peter. The first arc of this series was pretty good, but I can't help but want Peter gone. SpOck had years of storytelling potential, so to see him brought to an end while Peter goes back to the ol' Parker Luck is frustrating. I'm counting down the days until we figure out what the "sleep mode" panel from the epilogue of Spider-Verse turns out to mean.

I missed this; what was the 'sleep mode' panel?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@mickeymayhew: After Otto got slammed into the group he told the computer in his watch now and she went into sleep mode for 100 days.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pray Otto comes back as Superior Spidey

Buddy_Baker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Buddy_Baker

I haven't read that issue yet, my German mailorder sends my pull list delayed. I just want to write down my thoughts about Spiderverves, since I guess no one visits the threads about the older issues anymore haha.

While it got some quite enjoyable parts, the main story was mainly just "Hey, let's just fight in unclear visualisations, then hop in another dimension, then fight again. Oh wait, an interesting conflict is about to happen...n'aw let's spare this to the spin off titles (which Buddy_Baker doesn't read) and flee and fight and flee and fight again."

This may sound a bit harsh, but that's how I felt about that. Others too?

I think Slott wasn't right about "You'll get the story even though you don't read the other Spidey titles." I got it mostly, of course, but it felt like I was missing so much story pieces that would have make this event much more of a blast for me. (I know though this event was mainly to see a bunch of Spider-Mans kicking butts and having fun with that. Which at least worked partly to me.)

The other issues of this run were just okay for me, too (the one with Ms. Marvel was quite funny and the tecent Annual stories by the other creative teams were highly entertaining for me though!). But I'll stick around though, because, as I said, I still quite enjoyed it.

I only started reading Spider Man since this new volume. I'm still quite new to subscribing US comics and always thought starting reading Spider-Man again while he is "superior" isn't a good starting point. I regret that a bit, I may pick up the trades of Slotts Superior Spider-Man.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... with all this negativity toward Amazing Spider-Man, which I'm happy to see kind you, really means very little if his sales keep exceeding 80k an issue. I personally have dropped all spider books in protest over the portrayal of Black Cat as being a psychopath and the latest issue where she tries to burn people alive for buying items she once possessed is absolutely ridiculous.