undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

If there's a central theme uniting Spider-Man’s most famous tales it is, surely, that of the hard-luck story. Even now, fifty years and massive character changes later, Spidey is, at his heart, that same teenager trying to show up on time for a date while foiling a villainous octogenarian in a flight harness. The fact that it has been over five decades of these stories and Dan Slott STILL manages to find ways to make THIS one seem like the biggest, most desperate struggle yet is a testament to his skill as a writer as well as his creativity. The “safe zone” of the Captain Universe Spider-Man has come crashing down at the hands of the gargantuan Inheritor patriarch Solus, scattering the Spider-Totems and giving the series a massive injection of hopelessness. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...well except MAYBE for one final destination. Slott manages to keep all his ducks in a row (no Spider the Duck...I JUST realized there’s no Spider-Duck and that weirdly bums me out), though of course some of the totems receive a bit more to do than others. He also does a great job of throwing in a few legitimately funny and fun moments that help break up the sense of total, imminent demise, which is a nice touch and a good acknowledgement to the true tone of Spider-Man. Many of the lines converge in this issue, and while the battle is a brief one, the final image hints that this series isn’t done dishing out surprises.

Giuseppe Camuncoli handles the pencils and things take a turn for the sharper, more jagged and jaw-clenching poses. Not just from the characters, but the visuals themselves evoke more angry tension than Olivier Coipel’s smoother, more fluid look. It suits the shift in tone as things have become more ragged in short order and Cam Smith’s inks are a testament to that as well. Smith gives the characters a real sense of weight and speed, sending them crashing through the panels and across the pages while Justin Ponsor’s colors remain dark and ominous without ever becoming overly grim or forgetting how to illuminate and brighten when they’re called to.

The Bad

This issue crosses the line that previous ones had walked right up to: the tie-ins are more directly referenced and, more importantly, more necessary to fully understand what’s happening this issue than ever. There are many problems with this, but one of the biggest is that a fairly substantial event near issue’s end apparently gets committed in an issue of SPIDER-WOMAN that has yet to come out, and it follows from an extremely important development, one that directly ties into the plot of the main book, from the previous issue. Seeing characters flit in and out of the Spider-Versecore title on recruiting drives is one thing, but having critical events happen that directly impact the events here happen in a whole other book, particularly one that isn't yet available, feels like a bridge too far.

The Verdict

Perhaps the problems of the tie-ins has been more pronounced in the past and it simply hasn't been as noticeable because this is the first a tie-in hasn't been available readily, but in either case this is a strong issue in what has, so far, been an enormously satisfying event. The visual changes match the tonal ones and make the whole series feel like it’s entering a new act, and if what we see at the end is any indicator, it’s definitely going to be the final one. At every turn, whenever some reveal or event feels like it could either be one of the best or one of the worst things, Slott manages the former every time.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spider-Duck would make for an awesome mini series.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Leopardon!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I just love the idea that the Spidey Mobile is the Spider totem from some Earth.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am dropping this title till spiderverse ends i.e.march

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roaris87

Is there a specific order these should be read? Obviously ASM is number spider-verse 1-4 so far, but is all the other stuff must read too? Or could I get by just reading ASM?

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@roaris87 said:

Is there a specific order these should be read? Obviously ASM is number spider-verse 1-4 so far, but is all the other stuff must read too? Or could I get by just reading ASM?

You can get by just fine by just reading ASM, that's what I've been doing.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For an issue that was propped up to be a massive slugfest, I felt like there wasn't a ton of cool action

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've been enjoying it since they started the whole story. some complained they didn't know the reading order, you can easily check the last page of any Spider book and it'll tell you the reading ordering.

as for reading the other spider titles in order to fully understand the whole BIG story. i would recommend it. you can see what the scarlett spiders are doing, then you see whats going on with Spider woman and spider man 2099.

However once this event is over, i'll stop reading Spider-woman..... shes not worth the the few extra bucks out of my wallet for a regular pull for me.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By roaris87

@roaris87 said:

You can get by just fine by just reading ASM, that's what I've been doing.

Cool, thanks! I may check out some of the spider-verse one shots, some of those looked interesting

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By oldwasher

I literally laughed out loud when I saw the uncle ben spider totem

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87: I would actually recommend reading Spider-Woman as well. You could get by with just ASM but I personally would feel a little lost. Some key things have happened in Spider-Woman more so than the other tie ins like Scarlet, and 2099.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Duck would make for an awesome mini series.

Seconded!

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

So wait, if I wait till Spider-Woman 3 comes out, will that make whatever development takes place in this issue be more worthwhile? I have the issue but I haven't read it yet.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Review was too generous imo.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I agree with the 4 stars, also sick cover!

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it hilarious that they decided to add that goofy Japanese Spider-Man in the mix (Wow including the kid manga version, and the other mangaverse Spidey)! But RIP to his robot. :(

Loading Video...

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I literally laughed out loud when I saw the uncle ben spider totem

Uncle Ben is such a spider-cliche appearance.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By Teerack

This issue had me pretty intrigued. Just kind of wish all this Spider-Verse stuff would be out and don't cause it's a good story but super dragged out.

Yamara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this spiderverse is not that interesting. they need hurry up n finish it

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The series is getting better every issue. Wasn't blown away by the lead in issues or SV 1, but it picked up with the SpOck/Peter confrontation in SV 2 and kicked in the doir with 3 and 4 imo. I'm not always a huge Spiderman fan. I usually prefer more serious books, but this story has been epic. Definitely the best Spider story I have ever read. Seeing the totems get crushed just never gets old (poor monkey, lol). Hoping this story continues for a while. I was surprised it got 4 stars at 1st glance, but reading the explanation it makes sense. I'm not reading the tie ins (I only read 1 book a day, can't fit all the spider titles in) so I understand the complaint. Doesn't detract from the overall story too much yet, but that seems like a main thread certainly. We'll see how they handle it going forward.