undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

There’s an art to filling in plot holes ahead of time that often goes overlooked and underappreciated. The two teams of Spider Totems battling the Inheritors were kept safe in their gathering dimensions by very different plot devices: one the literal cloaking device and the other the Spider-Man who kept the power of Captain Universe, rendering attacking him completely untenable. This, of course, creates the question of why he simply didn’t solve the problem himself, which Dan Slott had preemptively answered by making it clear that if he left his universe, his power did not follow him. After this issue, and after finally having the reveal of the Patriarch of this vicious, vampiric family Solus revealed, that option is off the table. Nowhere is safe and everyone is in danger! Slott does a great job making each of the Spider Totems feel unique and like they’re being given their own voice, making it all the more painful when one of them is lost. That’s actually one of my favorite things about this series as a whole, and it’s on full display in this issue: the actual emotional impact of one of these characters dying, which further serves to heighten the sense of tension as it death comes quickly and for just about anyone, it seems. We also drop off and check in with a few more characters as they try to rally as many troops as possible to this cause. We also get to see current 616 Spidey square off with his Superior counterpart, and there’s something oddly thrilling about both the battle and the very idea behind it.

Olivier Coipel brings his stunning, fluid visual style to this book, and reminds everyone who he’s one of the best artists that can be drawing Spidey. The fighting takes up most of the issue, but never looks boring due to Coipel’s smooth, flowing visual style, but he’s certainly no one-trick pony. The Inheritors are hard-hitting bruisers, particularly when Papa Solus bursts onto the scene. These are characters that dig in and fight in stark contrast to the Spiders leaping and flitting about, and Coipel gives the vision of a pure potential energy just before it’s unleashed. This is contrasted against the battle at the beginning of the issue of Spider VS Spider which is pure agility and very few actual strikes. Coipel also inks the issue alongside Wade Von Grawbadger, John Livesay, Victor Olazaba and Mark Morales, giving the characters weight and form, helping the reign in what would otherwise be an incredibly chaotic scene. Justin Ponsor’s colors are the final ingredient to the visuals, bringing a dark, dour look that would normally be out of place in a Spider-Man comic, but considering the subject matter, it seems right at home.

The Bad

We get two more here and for some reason it grates a bit more than last issue, even though it’s far fewer instances. We essentially lose two pages setting up titles that have already come out and seem to be doing just fine on their own.

While Coipel does a fantastic job on pencils, there are a few panels where his characters wind up looking just a bit...warped. It only happens in close-up and it’s very rare, but because of how good the rest of the visuals look, it stood out a lot.

The Verdict

This is the most intense Spider-Verse issue yet, and for a series that’s been this cranked up for this long and managed to SUSTAIN it, that is definitely saying something. Slott’s managed to take an epic, far-reaching story and given it an intimate, personal feel that actually puts a lot of emotional investment in its massive cast. A cast that the artistic team makes look incredible in almost every single panel they appear in, balancing action with impactful character moments. If you’re any kind of Spider-fan, you should be reading all of Spider-Verse, but if you can only check out one book, it should be this one.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

LOVE THIS ARC

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Great issue. I wish the Amazing vs. Superior fight had been longer though.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By oldwasher

I've literally waited all day for this review. very well done. One question I have for someone who has read the issue is how did captain universe Spiderman die? it said in issue 9 he had godlike power and could kill the inheritors easily as long as he remained in his own universe

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tony_Shark

So Peter needed plot armor to beat Ock? Cool -___- Spock FTW

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RevivalMH

This was easily the best issue in Spider-Verse so far. It makes the wait for #12 so much harder. Things are about to get pretty crazy for the Spiders.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VanderSEXXX

ok guys I wanna ask about continuity. Is this event happening before or after the events of Axis? I just couldn't get it out of my head. Sorry. haha

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By averywetfrog
oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldwasher
Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is the name of the guy that defeated captain universe?

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This whole event has been pretty cool.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@averywetfrog: i read the comic. it was amazing, but do you think solus defeating captain universe was PIS?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've literally waited all day for this review. very well done. One question I have for someone who has read the issue is how did captain universe Spiderman die? it said in issue 9 he had godlike power and could kill the inheritors easily as long as he remained in his own universe

Earlier, it showed one of the Inheritors draining a Genis-Vel, so apparently their powers are effective on cosmic powers.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@averywetfrog: i read the comic. it was amazing, but do you think solus defeating captain universe was PIS?

This guy was supposed to be the top dog amongst the Inheritors and since he is a new character they had no idea exactly how strong he is. i thought solus defeating captain universe was an awesome way to show how much of a threat they are dealing with. Slott also gave a perfect reason as to why captain universe's powers had no affect on him.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By The_Waffle

@tony_shark said:

So Peter needed plot armor to beat Ock? Cool -___- Spock FTW

Plot armor? lol, Superior Scum-Bag lost that fight because Peter Parker is the better Spider-Man :P It was a flawless victory as well, Ock didn't tag Pete once lmao.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was also a really good issue. Definitely the best so far. With that said the fight between Spidey and SpOck was pretty short. I kinda wish it took up half the issue at least seeing how this battle was a build up from the start. Hopefully they duke it out again. Besides that this issue was filled with great characterization. After seeing the final page of Morlun holding Benjy, I can not wait till issue 12!

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Coipel is gone now until possibly the finale (unless solicitations change) Guiseppe C takes over now. While not a bad artist, Coipel is the selling point for me here and has set the bar HIGH imo. I hope the shift is not too jarring. This event, while wholly silly when you think about it should not work at all but it pulls it off. Quick and dirty and really self-contained if you only want to collect Amazing it has surpassed my expectations...I may glance the next issue though and wait for Coipel to return instead of spending the money, I already have the HC from Amazon coming at the cheap "oops" price.

Prophet924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are absolutely correct about the best part of this issue. The confrontation between Superior and Amazing was worth the price of the book.

I wonder if Slott will plant a seed of the full of hubris Ock somewhere to grow later. It's clear Ock will gain some respect for Pete's leadership. That glimmer will revisit Ock after Norman breaks him down in Goblin Nation.

The rest. Just a jumbled chaotic mess. It's no stretch that the evil aristocratic leeches would strike at the safe spot to strike terror into the spiders. Their bravado and braggadocio hide the fact that the spiders coming together will be their end. Good riddance. Morlun/Solus and their like are just after thoughts when their gone. They really don't matter. What an empty existence. Go munch on some totem essence then go out again and munch on some more.

That aside. A truly epic confrontation is watered down to two pages of "I'm all powerful, no one can defeat me. MU ha ha ha!" Ok. Seems the really easy way to resolve that part of the story. The Enigma Force should have vaporized the threat. Would have been much more interesting to have Cosmic Spidey give up his power freely to save the Scion.

I agree the eating of power is less impactful than a vampire sucking the blood from its victim. But seeing the lifeless husk is gut wrenching. Slott is allowing the characters uniqueness shine when it comes to the spiders. I agree it hurts to see them taken down.

This was an issue much life a roller coaster ticking up the hill. A big drop is coming.

Thwipp!

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: And both times that Peter tagged him were when Ock was standing still. Spider Sense doesn't work. Also, yeah it was plot. Ock doesn't know that it is the future version of him, so he stopped fighting. Peter knew. How is that not the plot working on his favor?

uggiboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uggiboogie

Continuity Error: By the Time Miguel defeated Daemos the Six-Armed Spider-Man is already dead..so he shouldn't be there to swing along with the corpse..

No Caption Provided

Still hope that Ben Reilly will survive this Event..please don't hurt him..:/

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Other is Kaine, spiderman's clone. The Scion is Benjy, spiderman's son. And the Bride is Silk.
Way to go, Slott, what a twist!

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Waffle

@tony_shark said:

@the_waffle: And both times that Peter tagged him were when Ock was standing still. Spider Sense doesn't work. Also, yeah it was plot. Ock doesn't know that it is the future version of him, so he stopped fighting. Peter knew. How is that not the plot working on his favor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Wow I actually thought you were trolling in that first comment lol.

• I'm pretty sure Spider people don't trigger each others senses. Ezekiel never triggered Pete's back in the JMS era and even that abomination Silk doesn't.
  • If Otto was as 'smart' and 'superior' as he gloats he wouldn't have let his guard down (twice). Plus Octavius had those mechanical Spider arm contraptions so the fight seemed pretty balanced to me.
  • You want to talk about plots working in the favor of others? Peter should have won that dumb brain fight back in Superior Spider-Man #9. It was his brain/body, he had the home field advantage, there was no reason he should have lost that fight but he did anyway, so get over it.
Glorious panel, get rekt.
Glorious panel, get rekt.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rubear

@the_waffle said:

...and even that abomination Silk doesn't.
Otto also lost the fight because he is a murderer.

• Peter should have won that dumb brain fight back in Superior Spider-Man #9.

I have a bad news for you...)
Otto was in shock because Peter asked him to show his winning move, to kill him.
And no, he shouldn't. One word: Massacre.

Avatar image for austinmrkieross
austinmrkieross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter vs otto was done right peter pulled his card showing he is the worst to lead in this situation and lord solus defeated universe because they feed on the life force energy of totems and the enigma force is a primal force pure life

The only reason solus won was that he was old enough and strong enough to contain and completely consume him meaning morlun and his siblings could beat universe they would only lose because they would not be able to contain/consume him aka he would just ve overloading them past there limit of life force they could handle think about what solus says while killing universe----your precious primal force of creation you poor fool that is pure life force. The power my brood Feaats on And while it may be too much for any of my children to handle i am the first of my kind and my hunger knows no limit

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

And no, he shouldn't. One word: Massacre.

Oh please, Slott set Peter up the moment he wrote that story just so he could give Otto some ammo to use against Peter. It's just like when Slott had Peter interfere with Otto's surgery on that little girl, it was completely out of character for Peter but Slott made him to do it to look bad.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rubear

@the_waffle:

- All right. Show me your winning move. Kill me.
- What? But you are an early point in my timeline. I can't...

That's look like shock enough for me) He was shocked by this idea, their was no realisation that it would affect him)
And about Massacre. You are speaking from outside the Fourth Wall. Form inside that's Peter's fault. He saved bloody maniac from sniper, result - dozens more victims. Spock, however? He ended him. So this Massacre will not kill anyone. That's the point. Of course, Spock was|is too much arrogant, but his more humble and friendly version, some mix between Peter and Spock would be ideal Spider-man.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Waffle

@rubear: Yeah, that's what I meant with Massacre, Slott allowed Otto to use those dead victims against Peter to justify his 'superiority', That 'No one dies' rule Slott forced Peter to adopt was absurdly ridiculous. Slott's Peter actually thinks maniacs like Massacre could be cured, which is idiotic and naive. I don't think Peter should have killed Massacre, but he should not have saved him either IMO

Ugh I'm over analyzing this stuff way too much, I'm just glad Superior got his @ss handed to him.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone notice in this issue that Six armed spider man is in yet in 2099 he's dead ._.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Monkey...No!!!!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#40  Edited By StMichalofWilson

The Peter vs. Superior fight was fun. The fight between Solus and Captain Universe Spider was ahem, shocking. However the real scene that got me was between Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen. It just felt so nice for Slott to include that moment.

Oh, and when Solus says, "My Hunger knows no limit" Somewhere in the galaxy Galactus is like, "B**** please"

Prophet924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The confrontation between Capt. Universe Spidey and Solus wasn't shocking. It was fully expected. Solus doesn't fear the spiders anymore than a lion would fear a gazelle it's going to eat. Even if the gazelle has nigh unlimited power. Would Solus take out Galactus? He too feeds on pure creative powers/energy. Yea I know silly. But that is where Slott left it.

The Solus fight was like the action in Power Rangers. We know the ultra mega powerful photon blast is going to destroy the bad guy in the end no matter what the villain does. In this case the table is flipped. Solus has the ultra mega energy munching stomach. Spidey had no chance. Just like those Power Ranger skirmishes are empty, so too was this. Some may say this makes the villain seem more scary. I'm just waiting for the story to flip and the spiders will have the super ultra mega Inheritor vanquishing power. It's gonna happen.

A much more shocking resolution would have been seeing Capt U Spidey wailing on Solus and crew. Only to see the Inheritors' guile and Capt U Spidey's sense of doing the right thing betray him. He has to loose that unbelievable advantage to make a last ditch effort to save May, Benjy, Pete...Then the evil aristocratic power leeches feast on him. That would have been shocking. Thus was more disappointing.

But thus story Slott is weaving is massive and I'm sure page space is at a premium. So this may just be the sacrifice to have the confrontation between Superior and Amazing as well as touching base with the rest of the spiders.

That being said this is one heck of a tale. I'm rooting for a great payoff like Slott has done in the past.

Thwipp!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Loved the issue, apart from the tie in setups. As a big Superior fan, I feel cheated on having a good Peter vs. SpOck showdown, but the way in which Slott did it at least makes sense. And after some of the character progression that SpOck had made by the end of his series, it's been a bit weird to return to the over the top arrogant version of him from earlier in his series, so I'm glad he's being taken down a notch. Plus I loved his attempt at a joke.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I guess. This plot honestly seems rather contrived. I mean, mutiple universes of Spider-Men which seem to really only be serving to introduce new characters who immediately go off and get their own series. I'm sorry, just can't get behind this story arc.

Folfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stmichalofwilson:

That scene was more valuable for me than the others, as epic as each of them was. I'm surprised most reviewers have slip through it and don't mention it. It doesn't have much impact on the story, but it does on both characters.

uggiboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uggiboogie
No Caption Provided

CyanidePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Sony really wants to renew interest in the Spider-Man series, then there should be immediate plans to start using the Spider-Verse as the basis for their own shared universe, not some stupid Sinister Six movie or Venom Carnage whateverTF that means. Give us more Spider People and open up all these alternate dimensions. Make the Spider-Man franchise into an insane headtrip scifi series, and I'll be there Day 1.

MyBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moronic storyline.

Multiverse sucks.

Spider-Ham says it all.

Slott sucks. How long will they let him ruin Spider-Man?

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must admit, I saw The Enigma Spider-Man death scene coming but I just wasn't ready for it. Some of these Spiders grew on me and I just wasn't ready to let them go. The Assassin Spider-Man for one (poor Alex, she's gonna be devastated), The Noir Spider-Man (hope he manages to recover, he barely survived), The Multi-Armed Spider-Man (the guy grew on me with his science mumbo jumbo), The Monkey Spider, just to name a few. Anyway The Scion has been revealed and now that we know time travel can play a part in this, questions about who Karn might actually be and the origins of The Inheritors have risen. Is Jennix his world JJJ? Could he be his world's Parker? Can Solus be Loomworld's Ben? Is the Karn actually the Scion who somehow traveled into the past and raised as in Inheritor!?! It could explain why we never see him actually absorb any life force what so ever -_- remember those puncture marks from his fork, they are like spider fangs.

Only Slott can tell..the bastard lol I love and hate that man

Prophet924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think Benjy is going to grow up but being Karn? That would be really twisted. Not out of the realm of Slott's twisted humor. But there is plenty of teased evidence to show there will be a grown up Benjy in this story.

There is a shadowy/blacked out spider character on the cover Spider-Verse Team Up issue 3 sitting next to May. They delayed revealing the last section of the giant mural teaser image. It has a teenaged Spider character in the prominent corner designating importance.

Karn does exhibit some energy manipulation ability. He shorts out Superior's weapon in Superior S-M edge of Spider-Vedse issue.

Thwipp!

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By HolySerpent

There killing off the best of spider-men