6 Developments from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's been months building up to Spider-Verse, a large-scale, multi-universe Spider-Man story. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 marks the first part of the Spider-Verse. Written by Dan Slott, drawn by Olivier Coipel, and colors by Justin Ponsor, this issue revealed quite a bit about what is going on in this story as well as a few familiar faces returning. Let's take a look at some of the developments from this issue.

Warning: There are spoilers from the issue below.

6. Master Weaver controls how Morlun and company gets to the different Earths

No Caption Provided

How is Morlun and his family jumping from world to world? That's been one big question on many fans minds in the preludes to this arc. Here, fans learn that a character named "Master Weaver" uses a device to spin webs that open portals to different worlds, so the family can feast on their favorite dish: Spider-People. In the epilogue story, there's a spread, drawn by Giuseppe Camuncoli, with Cam Smith on inks, and Antonio Fabela on colors, that shows a great amount of detail to what the full web looks like.

5. Kaine Parker is the Other

No Caption Provided

Daemos finds himself face-to-face with Kaine Parker, the Scarlet Spider, and before he decides to feast on his essence, Daemos discovers there's something very special about Kaine: he's the Other. Kaine is a key component to something going on here. Luckily, other Spider-folk come and save him. But later...

No Caption Provided

We find out that there's a trinity of important Spider-people in this story line. We know that Kaine is The Other, but we also learn there's The Bride and The Scion. Lord Solus knows the location of them all. Who are these characters and what does all of this mean in the big picture?

4. Spider-Gwen joins the fight

No Caption Provided

Lots of Spider-Men and Spider-Women have been joining the fight against Morlun and his family, and now all the forces are in the 616 Universe to team-up. It wasn't much of a surprise but lots of people will be really excited to see Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 make her way into the book. Fans also like to call her Spider-Gwen. And yes, she's many folks new favorite. This is her first appearance in the 616 and certainly not her last, so get excited Spider-Gwen fans!

3. Peter Parker is the greatest Spider of all

No Caption Provided

Here's the biggest twist in the issue. All the Spider-characters, from different universes are showing up in the 616, but why? Well, it's revealed here that the Peter Parker/Spider-Man from the 616 universe is the greatest of all the Spider-People. What makes the 616 Peter Parker so special and more than that, what makes any of the 616 Spider-People more important than the others? There are lots of other Spider-Folk that are more powerful than the 616 Spider-Man. Obviously, more will be revealed as the series goes on.

2. Verna attacks Miles Morales and Jessica Drew with her "dogs"

No Caption Provided

One popular Spider-Man we haven't really seen is Miles Morales, the Ultimate Spider-Man. Lady Verna fetches the hounds, but the hounds happen to be Silver Sable, Fireheart (Puma), and Kravinoff (Kraven the Hunter) from various worlds. She seems to be taking a lot of firepower to hunt down a young kid and a clone, isn't she? Most of the time, one of the family goes on their own to kill the Spider. Does that mean that either Miles or Jessica are either the Bride or the Scion? Or is it just as Verna said: she like young spiders.

1. The bad guys are all fighting over the 616

No Caption Provided

There's a little bit of a family feud happening on Earth-001 AKA Loomworld and there's no Steve Harvey to break it up. What they're fighting over is the right to dine at Earth-616. Morlun wants to go there but so does Daemos. Is this the first crack we've seen in the family's armor? Can their fighting over food be their undoing? As of now, Morlun and company seem incredibly powerful and unbeatable. This rift between Daemos and Morlun will most likely continue in future issues, so let's see where this is headed.

There you have it. Part 1 of Spider-Verse is in the books. If anything, this issue really taught readers more about Loomworld and Morlun's family than anything else, but there's a lot to take in here. What did you think of this issue? Where do you think this story is going?

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cool, indeed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this certainly helps me understand things

BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isn't the bride Silk i could have sworn they said that in issue with the original sin tie in

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the reason that 616 spidey is "the great of all" is because he fought morlun alone and won (kind of) twice. no other spider can say they pulled that off.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't sure if this was gonna be to much spider overkill for me (Spider Island), but this has been really good.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By SoA

i believe they messed up when they called ult universe 610 instead of 1610

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

God I hate "The Chosen One" tropes.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so Silk (the queen/ bride) 616 pete and kaine are important so it is obvious miles will be the scion.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Writing's still meh, but it's getting interesting.

at least we dont have to suffer through Ramos art this issue.

did you see the issue where he drew Mayday's MJ? She looked exactly like Maria cept w/Red Hair. I head-desked.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

didn't we already know that the Master Weaver was transporting Morlun's family and that Kaine was the Other?

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

Looks interesting. Can't wait to read this all in trade. Hopefully, Slott doesn't kill Kaine, he's my favourite (Scarlet Spider fans forever!).

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaine being the Other isn't exactly a new development

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The issue was really mediocre but I liked when the story was telling about Morlun and Daemos and their sisters. While when the story was around in the Spider-Verse it was really weak and uninteresting at least for me.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This is very interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue so much. Btw did anyone else catch Spider-Rorschach in the Master Weaver's web?

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@inferiorego I'm not really up to date on what's going on with Spidey and Spider-Verse, but hasn't it already been stated that Silk is the bride?

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

From what I could gather, the Spiders consider 616 Peter to be the greatest of them all is because he is the only one that has fought one of the Inheritors, mainly Morlun who is one of the most powerful, and actually managed to defeat him, something no other Spider is capable of doing.

The Master Weaver was an enemy of the Inheritors and he was responsible for killing the mother but they tamed him and turned him into their servant.

Daemos is the eldest yet he is not the heir, Morlun is, who is stated to be Solus's favorite.

Unlike her brothers, Verna doesn't do most of the dirty work herself and prefers to have her "dogs", mainly comprised of different versions of Spider-Man's rogues to do the hunting in her place. The villains seem to be cannibals, as they have no problem feasting on each other.

The Spiders' main HQ is Captain Universe Spider-Man's world, as the Inheritors are no match for him in his world. If he leaves, he will become just another Spider-Man and that's why he can't join the others on the field. He also seems to be in charge of taking care of Benjamin Parker, Mayday's brother.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

"Peter Parker is the greatest Spider of all"

And...this surprises you? The main protagonist is always the chosen one, man.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How is Peter greater than the Spider-Girl version of Peter that already had his life together and a family?

Cause he's the only one to repel one of the invaders, he's beaten Morlun, twice.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bride is Cindy Moon Aka Silk

The Scion is either Miles Morales or Peter Parker

The Other is Kaine Parker

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AmazingSpiderDan

The Miles Morales we see in this issue is apparently from Earth-610, not Earth-1610. So unless he gets killed off, and we get Brian Michael Bendis' Mile Morales from Earth-1610, I guess we're getting an alternative version of Miles.

I'm more excited to see the issue where Superior Spidey meets Amazing Spidey. I wanted Peter to have some meaningful dialogue exchange with certain Spider-People, like with Gwen, Ben, Mayday, and Miles, but I'm not much of a fan of Slott's writing, so I don't think I'll be all too interested in reading his ideal "meaningful" dialogue exchange. The fact that Ock and Peter meet is enough to get me to buy.

The art was amazing this issue.

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EscGamer

@bigggheadtj: I think you are right on that, I remember Morlun saying something along those lines.

@soa: Yeah I caught that too. is it reall Miles or another Miles? I'm not sure either. Although if it is Ultimate universe it could explain Peter's return.

So here's what I can figure out:

1. Loomworld (Earth-001) is the same as any other Earth. There's a Robbie, a Doc Ock, so on so forth. So that begs to ask who exactly are the Inheriators? Sure they have names but is that their true identities? The last time I saw a being from another world consuming Spider Totems was the Parker of Earth-11638 aka The Ghost Spider, formerly The Amazing Spider. He consumed every Spider he could get his hands on to become the most powerful being on his Earth stronger then even Galactus.

2. LS (Lord Solus) favors Morlun because he is the one who will inherit the role of the head of the family. From the bit of dialogue Daemos an Morlun got from LS it sounds like they know Daemos will meet his end before his father, which is why Daemos is going all out Hiroshima on his hunts. As for when who knows....oh wait Slott does.

3. Kaine is The Other, we knew something was special about it because well it's part of the reason why Morlun got trounced by Ol' Webhead during The Other. The Bride has been mentioned before as being Silk. So does that must make Peter the Scion. He is the only Spider to give Morlun the ol' one-two boot twice, albeit at nearly the cost of his life but hey a win's a win.

4. Morlun makes excuses because he can't beat anyone in 616, Black Panther even beat Morlun by sending him to hell...literally. So yeah he's staying away for a while longer.

5. Lastly as I said in #1 Loomworld is just another Earth, so can Master Weaver be that worlds Peter? Could explain why he keeps making Peter or someone similar to him the Spider-Man. I'll let that one linger for future issues but this what I can see so far.

Quick update: I just remembered The Weaver itself could be Earth-001 version of the Spider that bit any and all of the Spider-Men and Spider-Women on every earth. Madame Web (Julia Carpenter) did say that Peter is at the center of the Web of Life and Destiny, where it just so happens to be where the Weaver sits and spins the multiverses Web of Life and Destiny . That being said, Karn could be that worlds Parker, seeing how he never likes his hunts and using a weapon that leaves two puncture marks like a spider's fang..sneaky Slott is sneaky. But we'll find out more as the story goes.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

There is something about Spider-Gwen's costume that I think is really cool. Jus how it's draw is great.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta love a Steve Harvey family feud reference

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DrellAssassin

@amazingspiderdan said:

The Miles Morales we see in this issue is apparently from Earth-610, not Earth-1610. So unless he gets killed off, and we get Brian Michael Bendis' Mile Morales from Earth-1610, I guess we're getting an alternative version of Miles.

I'm more excited to see the issue where Superior Spidey meets Amazing Spidey. I wanted Peter to have some meaningful dialogue exchange with certain Spider-People, like with Gwen, Ben, Mayday, and Miles, but I'm not much of a fan of Slott's writing, so I don't think I'll be all too interested in reading his ideal "meaningful" dialogue exchange. The fact that Ock and Peter meet is enough to get me to buy.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@inferiorego Kaine became the other back in his own series not in this issue so it's not a development it's just established from like 2 years ago in Yosh's run.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Do I need to read Edge of Spider-verse, to understand what's happening in Spider-verse?

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

considering scion means a child, I assume the spider-scion is May the Spider-girl.

Or a reboot of the cross-gen comic.

Or with it also being a plant graff, maybe Miles. I'd say another spider-clone, but they already have Kaine.

Or a spiderman from an earth were he is a car.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I need to read Edge of Spider-verse, to understand what's happening in Spider-verse?

Not at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is true that Kaine became "the Other" a long time ago in his Scarlet spider series, the fact that his being the other has signifigant meaning to the Inheritors is a new revelation from this issue, and so is the existence of a "Scion" as well as hints to what ever Silk's status as the "Bride" actually means.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingspiderdan said:

And here I was thinking they made an Alt-1610 due to the stuff Bendis is doing with Ultimate Spider-Man to avoid conflict.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I still don't get why The Family needs to consume Spiders People..? Why not Black Panther who by all accounts has a stronger tie to his animal totem then Spider-man does?

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:

@amazingspiderdan said:

And here I was thinking they made an Alt-1610 due to the stuff Bendis is doing with Ultimate Spider-Man to avoid conflict.

Yeah, me too. I figured since Bendis didn't want any part of Spider-Verse, Slott decided to make an alternative Miles. I wouldn't mind an alternative Miles, since Bendis has his own big thing going on, with Peter Parker's "revival/return" in the Ultimate comics. I feel like the two conflicting stories would cause some confusion since Spider-Verse is said to feature "every Spider-Man", but they wanted to make sure "Peter Parker in the Ultimate Universe stays is dead".

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

isn't the bride Silk i could have sworn they said that in issue with the original sin tie in

was thinking the same.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

same here, and my thoughts on the scion is Mayday. hmmmm

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

i believe they messed up when they called ult universe 610 instead of 1610

That's something I was wondering about. I had to look at it a few times to make sure I didn't miss the 1, but then saw it was repeated again. I'm guessing it's a typo, unless theres another Miles Morales and Jessica Drew (cloned from Peter Parker) that are spider characters in another universe. It's plausible, but I think it's a typo.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By greenlucario

@bigggheadtj said:

same here, and my thoughts on the scion is Mayday. hmmmm

That'd be great for the character, some significance and character development would be welcomed by this fan. But with how she's been written so far I'm not holding my breath.

SpiderVerseTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@escgamer: thanks for being the only one in this comment section to point out that we still don't know who the Pete of 001 is! This will be a big deal down the line for sure and I can't stop guessing how they will reveal this. My best guess is the weaver, it seems to make the most sense. There are a couple other possibilities though.

As far as the Scion goes, I found a few interesting definitions:

n.noun

A descendant or heir, especially of a wealthy or prominent family.

A detached shoot or bud from a plant that is joined to a rootstock in grafting.

Using these definitions I'd personally conclude that it's one of two people. Karn, considering his prominent family or Ben Reilly considering his relation to Peter.

Then again Morlun is the only person with the title of "heir" in the story so....

Hardhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers