undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

There was a lot of speculation as to what last issue’s reveal would mean for the Spider-Verse (the general concept, not the event), and even Marvel U at large, and while those questions have yet to be answered, and likely won’t be until next issue, the development of the ruined Earth-3145’s spider-totem proceeded with Dan Slott’s usual effective economy. In just three short pages we learn the differences, and they are legion, between this spider-totem and the ones we’re used to and moreover are made to care a surprising amount about them. We even get some insight into how the world came to be the way it is and what this totem feels his role in it was, but the real standout here is actually the Superior Spider-Man of 616. Otto is in rare form, not only connecting two critical dots, but saving the day in one of the most unlikely ways for that character. It’s great that, even knowing his ultimate fate, Dan Slott isn’t afraid to let him have the spotlight when it’s called for. That’s merely the highlight in what turns out to be a great character-driven issue with a ton of small, powerful moments.

I’ve often been a fan of Giuseppe Camuncoli's pencils, but he’s in rare form in this issue, giving us characters that look, at times, powerful, lithe, agile and intimidating all at just the right times. The action scenes that are rapidly cut to function amazingly and look incredible, particularly a few of the more shocking moments, and there’s a great, meaty sense of power and kinetic impact to the entire issue. Cam Smith’s inks can’t be understated in their role of that, lending the characters a lot of their gravitas and presence while emphasizing how dark and grim things truly have gotten. Things are never too dour though and we can thank Justin Ponsor’s colors for that. This entire event has been a great crash-course on how to make the visual language of a comic book dark without removing any sense of hope or even whimsy from it, and a huge part of that balancing act goes to Ponsor’s colors. This team’s been great throughout the series, but in this issue it really feels like they hit on something special.

The Bad

This issue is all over the place in terms of its storytelling, and it’s understandable with all the various threads that need to come together that things might get a little breakneck, but having Silk make as boneheaded a move as she does, even without having ALL the information, felt like it was needlessly upping the stakes. Mayday is understandable, she's younger and has more of a stake in the person being kept on LoomOr if not needlessly, then at least inorganically.

Without warning the final issue of SCARLET SPIDERS is entirely given away. There’s no indication at the start of the issue as to which one should be read first and the most major plot points of the issue are spelled out in great detail. While this does mean that the tie-in isn’t necessary, it would have been nice for the recap page to at least say that the events took place after SCARLET SPIDERS #3.

The Verdict

Developments from other issues aside, this is an example of some incredible buildup to a final showdown. The outcome of the events might be a foregone conclusion, to some extent, but that hasn’t dulled interest for exactly HOW things shake out and especially WHO walks away. Slott’s done a great job with building the reader’s attachment to a lot of these totems, and the various tie-ins have built them even more, so even if it’s almost certainly assured that 616 Spideys walk away, who ELSE does is still a great source of suspense and anticipation.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can't wait for this to end

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God dammit Kaine and Ben both killed like that ?! . They better have an awesome finish for this ...

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope SpOck sticks around.

GeneralTekno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of want to go back and reread the Goblin Nation arc now with the knowledge that, on some level, SpOck knew he was on borrowed time.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it. I was one of the dupes that bought all the tie-ins this week too. That's fine because it was great readz.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My only complaint was that they spoiled what happened in Scarlet Spiders 3. I was going to read that after reading AS, but I just didn't care after I found out who of the three Scarlet Spiders died.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spock finding out when peter come from was the best part

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

#8  Edited By shroudofsorrow

For me, I think the most satisfying part of this issue was: Solus getting killed mid-sentence. After being played up as such a big bad, I found his being killed off so quickly and easily to be kind of hilarious. Satisfying too.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS ISSUE. Due to the fact that Dan Slott will probably not be granting my ultimate wish of putting SpOck in the 616, I feel like the fact that so far he's been mostly reduced to arrogant outbursts has been a let down. This story could be the character's last, and to have him not have a proper spotlight seemed to be disappointing. Enter issue 13. For the first time in the event Slott shows the character depth that SpOck has, and boy is it great. I really liked that he had SpOck come to the realization that Peter was in fact a later version of himself, yet he buried the issue (for now) in order to deal with the task at hand. I also liked that he had Peter take note of his Ana Maria computer, as I'd like for Peter to at least see that SpOck is more than his arrogant exterior. Anyway my only complaint with this issue was that a lot of it was resolving story lines that took place in other books, but honestly I don't even care. It's been too long since we've seen some SpOck moments, and this book did it. Here's hoping we get some more in the final issue of Spider-Verse and (fingers crossed!) beyond.

Avatar image for ghost_rider_888
ghost_rider_888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ghost_rider_888

@wowlock: at least kain got to be a total badass

hope he isn t really dead

Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
Scarlet_Spider_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone please just tell me Kaine isn't dead.

mi7ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mi7ch

I read the preceding Spider-Verse tie-ins that were released alongside this issue so I was aware of their plotlines going in, but I'll agree that Marvel should have been a bit more forward about the reading order. I follow Dan Slott on Twitter so I knew to read this issue last, but for those who aren't following him a bit of a heads up would have been nice.

That's a small gripe compared to what we get out of the rest of this issue, though. Great action and a great SpOck moment. Who knew he could be such an excellent motivational speaker?

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Silk annoy anyone else?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

Does Silk annoy anyone else?

So... your spider-sense is tingling?)

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

cmpunk4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up my issues today. was awesome reading kind of hate to see spider verse end. Been loving all the alternate spider men and spider women And way to go Kaine/scarlet spider, kick some inheritors ass!!!

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By MixMastaMicah5

This was so good.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By oldwasher

I honestly didn't really like how solus was killed so easily in this issue, because he was built up to be a majorly powerful villain and kaine just seemed to kill him so easily so I honestly hope he somehow survives for a final fight with the spiders. I also hope kaine isn't dead. Overall this was a great issue.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY DID I READ THE SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS!?!?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. SpOck and Kaine were awesome. Looking forward to the next issue and what their final fates actually are. If this issue was in fact Kaine's final fate, at least The Other went out in a blaze of glory.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am actually being won back. Scarlet Spiders was amazing, but, yes, this issue diving in without saying the reading order?? Come on!

I can't believe I'm saying it, but for once in many years I'm actually looking forward to some Spider-Man titles.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue as well as the tie ins. I am however disappointed about ben supposedly being killed and same thing with kaine.....

Hopefully at the end of this story,people whom we all thought were dead aren't.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man this was great issue

Avatar image for ultimatehulk10000
ultimatehulk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The Die is cast!", best quote ever by SpOck.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I don't think Kaine is dead. The Other has healed people from far worse than what he got. He'll probably be back in the next issue so the Other, the Bride and the Scion can take down the Inheritors.

uggiboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've waited 18 Years for Ben Reilly's return..and then they kill him off again just like that..:(

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt: Yes. You could replace all of her word balloons with: "I am terrible" and nothing would be changed.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CurrentThor2015
No Caption Provided

This is my favourite SpiderVerse issue so far, Superior Spider-Man finding out Peter is his future self is what I've been waiting for, so pumped for the finale now.

Also SpiderGwen and Silk making the jump to Loomworld together was awesome.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I hope i see more of spider-man India and Spider man UK later on. Really loved them together.

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheDanquah

I hope that we get to see more stuff with the Spiderwomen. They are a funny trio.