k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an issue of TMNT that was basically just Bebop and Rocksteady fighting the Ninja Turtles and their new allies? It would be pretty awesome, right? Well, it looks like the people at IDW agree because that's exactly what this latest issue is all about! I mean, a grand total of 3 pages don't revolve around the characters in this fight. Yeah, it's a little weird having Karai able to beat the goofy duo on her own and then having all of these formidable characters struggle with 'em, but it's still an entertaining way to illustrate the point that these two goons are total beasts in this universe. Yeah, they're still dumb and funny, but man, they're ridiculously tough, too. They may not be as skilled or as bright as their enemies, but they make up for that with absurdly high endurance, durability, strength and healing. Having Slash sitting most of the fight out feels like a missed opportunity (I would throw all of my money at IDW for a chance to see an extended fight between Slash and those two), but, thanks to a gifted art team, the way he's removed is a thoroughly cool moment. A vast majority of this issue is just crazy action and Tom Waltz makes it such an enjoyable time. This isn't just punch after punch; there's variety in here and it's a lot of fun. I really loved Herman the Hermit Crab's role in the fight. His answer to what else he's hiding in the dumpster had me cracking up.

The bonding between Mr. O'Neil and Casey really seems like it's giving April's dad the kiss of death. You know, give us a good emotional connection to a character right before killing them off. Maybe I'm just always expecting the worst from these stories (for the characters, that is), but it seems like this would be a perfect way for Hun to get back at his son and cause some major drama in Casey and April's relationship. But hey, maybe this is just their way of giving the book extra heart. Casey went through a rough time with his own father, so it's nice to see him connecting with another one. The guy certainly deserves a loving family. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this is their way of finally giving Casey some much-needed warmth from others or if this is yet another thing that'll eventually bring more darkness into his life. And that ending? Way to build the hype!

Artist Mateus Santolouco and colorist Ronda Pattison put so much work into these panels and they continue to impress me. This is a pretty crowded and hectic issue, yet it never comes off as rushed. Sure, it's a bummer that backgrounds occasionally vanish, but the character work and coloring is so strong that it's pretty easy to overlook that. This is a pretty savage battle, yet their work manages to make it walk a nice line between fun and badass. It's never too violent, but it's not totally watered down, either. Their work gives the fight so much vitality. There's a number of panels here that made me smile and the electric bit is terrific. The decision to fill the more impactful panels with shades of yellow, orange, and red really sells the intensity of the moment, too. This was more than noticeable in the bit with Slash. With regular coloring, it still would have looked great, but the focus on those shades really adds more weight to the moment.

The Bad

As much as I love all of the action, the only real plot progression is on the final page -- everything else fun and there isn't much substance to it. It's not a big deal, but still worth noting. A minor criticism is Master Splinter's role in this issue. At one point he seems oblivious to a projectile (it's unclear why) and the other time he's kind of just standing around while the others continue to battle. Yes, it's revealed he's coming up with a plan, but you'd think he'd be more active when his sons are in such danger. If Karai's skills and tactics allowed her to get the better of this duo, it's a little tough to swallow Master Splinter having trouble with them. I understand you can't have him just leap into action because he's the most skilled and it could end the conflict, but it was a little odd having him not do anything for most of the time.

The Verdict

TMNT #40 is a massive amount of fun. They take the simple idea of Bebop and Rocksteady vs. everyone else and turn it into a total blast. It's funny and intense and the art team makes the whole experience a total joy to look at. If you simply want to enjoy a massive, animated brawl, you're going to get your money's worth and then some with this one. Sure, it feels like everyone else is being downplayed to boost just how tough Bebop and Rocksteady really are, but it's still such a good time. Oh, and that final page? It's sure to get any TMNT fan thoroughly excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

It really did feel like this issue was just one long fight, but I still loved it.

Will Alopex and Raph really become a couple?

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@xwraith: I got that vibe all throughout this issue. I wouldn't mind if they did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Still amazed by this cover love the colors

Gilad_the_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay, I am more interested in Donny's story though.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Still amazed by this cover love the colors

Yeah, the cover's great. It's a little surprising it doesn't sell the fact this is mostly about Bebop & Rocksteady, but still really impressive.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xwraith said:

It really did feel like this issue was just one long fight, but I still loved it.

Will Alopex and Raph really become a couple?

she does bare a striking resemblance to Ninjara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@danhimself: There's a rumor that Alopex was created because, for legal reasons, IDW couldn't use Ninjara (note that this is completely unconfirmed, and I've also heard that IDW does own the rights to Ninjara).

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I definitely agree with the verdict of this issue. It was a pure joy to read. It was fun, well illustrated, great fight, and a great ending in both the fight and the issue (with Donnie and his robot).

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By comicbookfan93

Bebop & Rocksteady always crack me up love them! Really hoping April's dad sticks around

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xwraith said:

@danhimself: There's a rumor that Alopex was created because, for legal reasons, IDW couldn't use Ninjara (note that this is completely unconfirmed, and I've also heard that IDW does own the rights to Ninjara).

I don't know...it's kind of confusing...I don't think that she ever belonged to Eastman or Laird for Nick to buy her along with the rest of the rights to the TMNT characters...her TMNTpedia page says that she was used after the Archie comics by her creators Dean Clarrain and Chris Allan in Furrlough a Radio Comix book....I'm not sure if that means that Dean and Chris own the rights to her or if Kevin and Peter just allowed them to use her since they created her

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@xwraith: Fox Turtle babies!

I'm not sure whether that's cute or terrifying.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@k4tzm4n: yeah had no clue it was going to be a big battle until I saw the preview, but it's not the first time in comics that a cover has been misleading. I finally read this issue and loved it, great review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: yeah had no clue it was going to be a big battle until I saw the preview, but it's not the first time in comics that a cover has been misleading. I finally read this issue and loved it, great review

Thanks! Yeah, I get the point of the cover (they're rushing into action), but I imagine highlighting the big brawl on it may capture more attention? Eh, whatever, it's still an awesome cover!

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was a little surprised how powerful they made B and Rock the past two issues, in the cartoons they made them get bodied so easily in the goofiest ways but then the comics are more serious and darker so lol. I hope they make it into the next film.

@xwraith said:

@dark_guyver: I wouldn't either.

lol me too a little but perhaps they'll just be friends, that would be weird if they liked made out and stuff lol

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Well, considering that she showed up in the 30th anniversary comic, I'm pretty sure she's not exempt from IDW's usage. Sure, it was a story from Murph and Allan themselves, but if there were rights issues you'd think they'd exempt her from usage altogether.

Avatar image for halloweencelts666
halloweencelts666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers