Superman: Lois and Clark #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Dan Jurgen's CONVERGENCE SUPERMAN was one of my favorite Convergence titles. As fun as it has been getting to know the post-Flashpoint version in the New 52, this was a return to a more classic Superman many of us grew up with. Having Superman back with Lois Lane (and still married!) was fantastic. At the end of Convergence, they, along with their newborn son, went off to save another Earth and we weren't quite sure what their future would hold. Until now.

The biggest shocker is where they ended up. They are now on Earth-Prime. The opening pages show this Superman about to make his move when the New 52 Justice League was fighting Darkseid. Think about that. He's been around for the five plus years we've been reading about since 2011. This makes things more interesting that I imagined. Clark, Lois, and their son will have to tread carefully as they've, obviously, been living in hiding. How much longer can this last? There's a lot of potential here but the main thing is, we have our old Superman back. Will he interact with the other Superman? We've seen that before when the Kingdom Come Superman journeyed back in the previous JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA series.

The art by Lee Weeks and Scott Hanna and colors by Brad Anderson are great. You can immediately distinguish between the New 52 characters and the classic Superman and Lois. They feel like they're in their own little corner of the world while still fully integrated into the current DCU. The little changes such as Superman's beard or Lois' haircut are nice touches.

As this is the first issue in the new story, there is some set up that has to take place. This is necessary but does slow things down just a tad. Some of the dialogue is clearly to help guide us through the situations and obviously won't be necessary to this extent as the series moves forward. While there is a lot of potential, there is also the risk of things getting a little awkward or just falling flat. I trust Jurgens' plan, whatever it may be, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a tiny bit concerned what could happen if this Superman meets up with other heroes and villains.

If you've been enjoying the current Superman titles but still can't let go to the previous version we had, you absolutely need to check this series out. Dan Jurgens and Lee Weeks have brought back the Big Blue and it feels like it was just yesterday we were reading his adventures. While it is still Superman and we have been reading Superman comics since the New 52 change in 2011, there's a clear and different voice going on. Having him on Earth-Prime really opens the door for some potentially crazy stories. If you're a Superman fan, you owe it to yourself to read this book.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

All I gotta say is this book was awesome and

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Lois and Clark live in my hometown. Lancaster, California. Can't believe it. That's right. Lancaster is the new Smallville.

I'll tell my family to look out for the Whites lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

this was good

ZeroSuitUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... I guess I'm dropping all current Superman titles for this one (at least until Truth ends). Also... I still think this was a really stupid move on DC's part. I was just getting use to the New 52 Clark, but then they reintroduce the Pre-52 version? Why? I know fans wanted him back, but you should have given him his own universe. Actually... The New 52 should of just been an alternate reality meant for new readers (kind of like the Ultimate). Whatever though. Few DC books interest me as of right now.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Lol, wth, CV? You give out 5 stars like it's candy, but this is only a 4 star?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator
MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MaxSavage

@allstarsuperman: Right?! Every time I see a four star review, I just think it was an "okay" read. This was actually pretty good, with some really good premises. This is at least 4.5 stars, so basically 5 on the CV scale.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By justice teen

Well it now people got Superman and Lois back, so they can stop bashing on SM/WW. Hopefully the NEW 52 couple last as long as them, and continue to have a interesting stories. Honestly I would prefer if he ended up on Earth 2 and help them out, but they already have their superman.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After hearing things about this, I'm gunna be sticking to Earth One Superman.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkmount1: Yea. Jurgens said its in tribute to Perry White. Man I wish they would use that guy more. Such an underused character.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This book could of been a mess but surprisingly it works well with the cards it was dealt its crazy that in once issue it's already become the most interested Superman title.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Is... Is Dan Jurgens reconstructing the DC Universe? Jurgens, instead of trying to fight against the New 52, is actually working with it to tell stories that clearly shows the OLD STYLE is still a viable option and can work DAMNED well in this case. Hell between THIS and the Bat-Mite series? I'm liable to believe we can get the Pre-Flashpoint FEEL back at least before all is said and done.

Same universe.... But basically ignoring inconsistency that was the New 52.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

This was an awesome start to a series that I cant wait to read more of. I just hope it doesnt get cancelled.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an awesome start to a series that I cant wait to read more of. I just hope it doesnt get cancelled.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I enjoy it

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It was good. A bit short for a first issue, the first issue is supposed to hook the reader but this didn't do it for me. It needed some extra pages.

My only other complain is Lois' author nickname. And that's such a nitpick.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is... Is Dan Jurgens reconstructing the DC Universe? Jurgens, instead of trying to fight against the New 52, is actually working with it to tell stories that clearly shows the OLD STYLE is still a viable option and can work DAMNED well in this case. Hell between THIS and the Bat-Mite series? I'm liable to believe we can get the Pre-Flashpoint FEEL back at least before all is said and done.

Same universe.... But basically ignoring inconsistency that was the New 52.

If you read the Multiverse story arc than you can recalled that the main villain in it refereed to the current multiverse as multiverse-2. Now I don't know how many multiverses there are, but I assume there are 3. One for pre-Crisis, one for for pre-flashpoint, and one for the current continuum.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tony never rates a comic below four stars not saying this deserves below four stars but im waiting for him to rate one HONESTLY

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would just give New 52 Superman the Superman title, and pre52 Superman should take over Action Comics. Same with Barman. Detective and Action should go back to their original numbering and feature the pre52 universe, Superman and Batman continue the current. Same with JL and JLA. That way EVERYONE wins. I personally love both versions, but I do miss the classic boy scout Superman.

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lantern1210: I always thought having both Superman/Action and Batman/Detective in the same time period was wierd. I quite like your idea.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modsbehating: http://www.comicvine.com/reviews/batman-the-dark-knight-23-4-joker-s-daughter/1900-2229/

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked this up on recommendation from LCS guy. Loved it.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was a good, solid issue

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

sadly it's only a 12 issue mini

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Man, I thought this was a new ongoing series.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: spread the word about the series...maybe we'll get lucky and it will do well enough to get DC to do an ongoing

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This comic was OK. I might read issue two if it sounds good

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By VickBat

@danhimself said:
@darkdetective27 said:

sadly it's only a 12 issue mini

What mini? where did you hear that? I report on the series and never heard it..

If end, it happened as green lantern lost army, this serie return in January with a new name Green Lantern: Edge of Oblivion..a continuation of this serie..

http://www.newsarama.com/26340-new-green-lantern-corps-swamp-thing-and-poison-ivy-series-in-january.html

With Clark and Lois should spend equal and these 12 chapters (if that's true) be a phase and continue. Please stay in Prime Earth and Superman back with Wonder Woman.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedailybagel  Moderator

So they're basically saying that pre 52 clark has been around the whole time but hasn't even attempted to help in any time of crisis because he wants to stay in hiding?

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So they're basically saying that pre 52 clark has been around the whole time but hasn't even attempted to help in any time of crisis because he wants to stay in hiding?

Lol, when he meets the new arrogant one, he's going to slap some sense into him.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thedailybagel  Moderator

@bat_girl_cc: it'll probably be that inevitable 'passing of the torch' moment.

Although honestly I don't mind how new 52 superman has been characterised. He holds the same values as regular superman and would put pretty much anyone before himself, but he's more human and flawed. Like what happened when he was being beat down by the cop in disguise and he eventually fought back in self defense, something pre 52 suoerman wouldn't do. But I do hope that if they fight pre 52 suoerman wins.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By TheExile285

Really enjoyed the first issue. Hope this series turns out good. I do kind of wonder why Clark doesn't where any type of mask if he's trying to keep his presence secret. Also, I love how he describes the differences between his world and earth prime.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really didn't like this, I hate the idea of having another Superman in the world. This is the kind of confusing storytelling DC needs to stay away from, it's so alienating, especially to new readers. Not to mention that everyone knows the Suprman/Wonder Woman relationship is temporary, and that in the end he will end up with Lois, why give people this now? it feels like such a waste of a slot.

@fastestmanalive: Perry's actually been getting a lot of use as of late, recently in both in men of Tomorrow, and in Batman/Superman.

@thedailybagel: @lantern1210: Pre-52 refers to any continuity before the New 52, meaning it could refer to Flashpoint, Post Crisis, Pre Crisis, or the Golden Age, you need to be more specific when referring to a version of Superman. Also yes, I know which one you are referring to in this case, I'm just saying that with DC's long history of multiple continuities, universes, and timelines, it's important to be specific.

@smart_dork_dude: It's not the New 52 anymore, that ended months ago.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Same universe, so until they reboot it again in 10 years(Which at this rate seems likely) I'm calling it that.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: The term you're looking for is continuity, and no it's not. The current continuity is Post Flashpoint. The New 52 was a line of comics that started out at the beginning of this continuity as a jumping on point for new readers.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Well don't count your melons before they grow chickens dude. Multiversity states the "Post-Flashpoint" Multiverse is actually Multiverse-2. It's not such big stuff, it's a mere copy of the original! And copies never last long. Look at Ben Reilly!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I get what you are saying, but I dont think this is really a series that is for new readers. It seems like its a series to appeal to old Superman fans and fans of Superman/Lois Lane who feel alienated by the New 52. I guess I dont really know how much damage this will cause to the continuity, but I doubt it will be that much damage especially with DC's new focus on story over continuity. DC is wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Clearly they want to keep Superman/Wonder Woman around longer and figure this will keep people from complaining that Superman inst with Lois Lane.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: It's not that, what I'm worried about is that it makes the current DCU as a whole more complicated, Don't get me wrong, I love nay I adore ideas and stories like this, I loved Multiveristy, and if Convergence had better writers I would have loved that too. However when you introduce elements like 2 Supermen living in the same world, but one is from another continuity/universe/timeline/whatever general McGuffin you universe suddenly becomes a bit more complicated. Heck one of the biggest reasons DC felt the need for a new reboot was because fans felt the DCU was getting to cluttered and hard to follow, so a big part of the New 52 was trying to make a simpler DCU, and leaving all the crazy fun else world multidimensional stuff to mini series like Multiveristy that took place outside the main DCU. Now having series like this that bleed out of comics like that make me worry that DC is heading down a very problematic road.

Again I hope I'm getting worked up over nothing and this is just a fun little series that will introduce some cool ideas or lead to a bigger story later on, as well as a bit of a throwback for older fans, and that it won't hinder any newer readers or more casual fans, but part of me is worried that comics will become a bit more impenetrable. This also goes for Marvel too, I'm not so crazy about a lot of the post Secret Wars decisions. As always I'll hope for the best.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: This could be problematic especially if handled poorly, but so far it seems like it wants to keep things simple and just show the basic differences between the worlds. I dont think this will try and go too deep into the stuff you mentioned and go too continuity heavy. I could be wrong about this.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: Really all we can do is wait and see. I'll at least say this, Dan Jurgens is a writer I very much trust and admire, so at least that's a good sign.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god, and ghandi that John Romita JR is not drawing this.

Psycho_Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Psycho_Soldier

Not a fan of Superman

but this setting and him as a grown man, a family man and Lois as a mother, wife & fighting the good fight made me really enjoy it

obviously the fact that Kara, Hal & Barry are still alive gives me some hope

+ are they wipping of the Wildstorm mess? Hank Henkshaw was in Team 7 and seemed to die there, here he's been for years in space and jus crashlanded on earth, what will be of the N52 Cyborg Superman? where is N52 Supergirl?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep...

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Zadoulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has one of the best Superman I've read lately. This is awesome and I hope this won't get cancelled like some of the others.