Follow

Superman/Batman

Team » Superman/Batman appears in 1080 issues.

Superman and Batman, the two most recognizable characters in comic books, frequently team up to tackle threats that neither of them can handle on their own, each bringing their own special talents to the fore.

The Special Relationship.. Superman and Batman of course.

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

Philosopher's pipes to the ready ladies and gentlemen.

DC arguably have not one but of the two of the most iconic symbols in entertainment but which of the two symbols is on your chest? What colour's your cape? Do you prefer to bask in the sun or dwell in the shadows? In order to travel backwards in time, do you have to get shot by an evil god or does it take a few laps of the sun?

I jest but when it comes down to it, I think most people have a preference between the two.  Out of fairness, I must say I definitley prefer ol' Bat.  Not slight on Supes but this is probably due to the animated series when I was growing up and my first DC comic was Batman's Hush.

However that said I don't think I'll be joining a Barbatos cult, shunning the sun alien any time soon because I find the relationship itself as fascinating as the characters themselves.  Credit to DC, over the decades they have cultivated these two characters into harmony with one another. 

No Caption Provided

Here are two beings seperated from their parents at tragically young ages.  One adopts a planet, the other seeks to adapt to his new world.  A child is plucked from a ship and it's at this point I believe Clark Kent is born.  However with Batman, the gun rings out and a child is left kneeling by his parents.  Just as I believe Clark Kent came into existence when adopted by the Kents, I think Bruce Wayne died with his parents in that alley.

Whereas Clark dresses up as a symbol, Superman, Batman dresses up as Bruce as a disguise.  I always come back to Jim Lee's great pictures of each of them looking over their cities, it sums it all up for me.  On a side note, when The Dark Knight was nearing release in the UK I heard one comparison.  Superman is how America sees itself, Batman is how the world sees America.

Anyway, what I want is a nice area to just simply discuss.  What are your thoughts on their relationship? When have you seen / read it being summed up really well?  What likes/dislikes about these two together do you have? 
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Demas

Grant Morrison sez:

In the end, I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as a story of Everyman. We’re all Superman in our own adventures. We have our own Fortresses of Solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super–pets, our own “Bottle Cities” that we feel guilty for neglecting. We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with.

I felt I’d really grasped the concept when I saw him as Everyman, or rather as the dreamself of Everyman. That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are.

Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. That guy’s Superman day and night.

Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell. He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman.

He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale. His worries and emotional problems are the same as ours... except that when he falls out with his girlfriend, the world trembles.
    Dr_Columbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr_Columbo

I have always seen Superman as the Dream of every American and Batman is the Goal. Where as Superman power is unattainable he is the dream of all. To fly have super strength, all  people around the world have wished for it at some time. However it is a pipe dream. Batman is human but also perfection. It is possibility. but with hard work there is always a price. As for the dark and light side I have know comment and my thoughts are just ramblings. This is a topic that could go on forever 

No Caption Provided
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By batman_is_god
    @.o0Johnny0o. said:
    " Philosopher's pipes to the ready ladies and gentlemen.

DC arguably have not one but of the two of the most iconic symbols in entertainment but which of the two symbols is on your chest? What colour's your cape? Do you prefer to bask in the sun or dwell in the shadows? In order to travel backwards in time, do you have to get shot by an evil god or does it take a few laps of the sun?

I jest but when it comes down to it, I think most people have a preference between the two.  Out of fairness, I must say I definitley prefer ol' Bat.  Not slight on Supes but this is probably due to the animated series when I was growing up and my first DC comic was Batman's Hush.

However that said I don't think I'll be joining a Barbatos cult, shunning the sun alien any time soon because I find the relationship itself as fascinating as the characters themselves.  Credit to DC, over the decades they have cultivated these two characters into harmony with one another. 

Here are two beings seperated from their parents at tragically young ages.  One adopts a planet, the other seeks to adapt to his new world.  A child is plucked from a ship and it's at this point I believe Clark Kent is born.  However with Batman, the gun rings out and a child is left kneeling by his parents.  Just as I believe Clark Kent came into existence when adopted by the Kents, I think Bruce Wayne died with his parents in that alley. Whereas Clark dresses up as a symbol, Superman, Batman dresses up as Bruce as a disguise.  I always come back to Jim Lee's great pictures of each of them looking over their cities, it sums it all up for me.  On a side note, when The Dark Knight was nearing release in the UK I heard one comparison.  Superman is how America sees itself, Batman is how the world sees America.Anyway, what I want is a nice area to just simply discuss.  What are your thoughts on their relationship? When have you seen / read it being summed up really well?  What likes/dislikes about these two together do you have?  "

AGREED.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I like Clark/Superman more than Bruce/Batman, but I love Gotham more than Metropolis.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AMS

Yeah that works for me,

Superman is what the whole world, well most of it maybe aspires to be, yet Batman is the reality of following those aspirations.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By jumpstart55

While I wonder why I didn't make this thread.  Any way I like both characters for different reasons, my fascination with the two started when I watched watchmen for the first time, seeing how very different yet so similar Doctor Manhattan and Ozymandias were I immediately drew a connection between Superman and Batman there go my everlasting fascination for Supes and Batman.

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By batman_is_god
    @jumpstart55:
    yeah, Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan are kind of parralel to Batman and Superman
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Primmaster64
    @AMS said:
    " Yeah that works for me,  Superman is what the whole world, well most of it maybe aspires to be, yet Batman is the reality of following those aspirations. "
    jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jukeboxheroabc

I think the best way that describes their relationship is in Batman/Superman #50 I believe when they both agree that they are each the brothers the other didn't have.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @jukeboxheroabc said:
    I think the best way that describes their relationship is in Batman/Superman #50 I believe when they both agree that they are each the brothers the other didn't have.
    True, they compliment well what each other lacks.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @jukeboxheroabc said:
    Which one got the personality?

ZING!
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @TheCrowbar said:
    Which one got the personality?  ZING!
    C'maaaaaaaaaan, that is unfair.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @jukeboxheroabc said:
    Indeed :)

No Caption Provided
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @cattlebattle said:
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @jukeboxheroabc said:
    Indeed :)

No Caption Provided
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!!

Talk about dislocated shoulders right there !
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Feliciano2040: or a crushed sternum maybe??
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @cattlebattle: Well, there's always the layers of kevlar on the suit, so MAYBE he doesn't have a punctured lung, just maybe !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.