#1 Posted by theoneA7 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems that a lot of people do not like the Superman books(Action & Superman). Would DC ever cancel his books, or just keep putting new creative teams on them? I don't think that they would, because Superman is seen as DC's flagship character, and what does that say about DC if their most popular character does not have his own book.

#2 Edited by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in any decently run universe.

#3 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a zero chance of them canceling Action Comics.

#4 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

I would consider dropping DC comics as a whole, due to being one of the most PO'd guys in the world.

That'd be like if Marvel said that they were going to get rid of Cap or Hulk. I would go nuts...and not in a good way.

#5 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd reboot him a million times before it comes to that.

#6 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that DC would ever cancel Superman because he's too iconic in the public to be cancelled. If the Superman series is not selling well, DC will probably find a creative team that will eventually catch people's interest.

#7 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Edited by RDClip (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

DC would never cancel the two man Superman books (Action Comics and Superman) because they are still two of their flagship titles and have been around since the orginal days when DC was still National Publishing. Doing so would be an indicator that DC is slowly allowing itself to die and has lost all hope.

I know that there will always be great writers out there who can write great Superman stories.

And I doubt Supes will ever do numbers so bad that he would be in fear of being cancelled. Sure, he isn't the top seller, but he still is within DC's top 10 sold books every month and is still their most well known hero in the mainstream media.

#9 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I couldn't conceive this happening.

#10 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

It is possible for dc to cancel all monthlies and just switch to graphic novels which might make more sense.

#11 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Highly unlikely. Though the Superman books don't sell as well as some, they're still better sellers than most.

#13 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Never, its friggin superman we're talking about here. There's some stuff dc would never get rid of, not matter what

#14 Posted by Xwraith (19295 posts) - - Show Bio

NO

#15 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6417 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think DC cares if people don't like them, as long as they're still selling highly.

#16 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought people liked action comics ?

So they don't, and I like it, so I'm in turn is cool for being different !

#17 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

DC will never cancel Superman...Ever.

#18 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Superman is the thing that started the whole Superhero genre,there's no way in hell!

#19 Edited by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

My LCS owner swears Supes books outsell Batman (just at his shop anyway), which I still doubt, but he insists that is true.

#20 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6248 posts) - - Show Bio

Would you ever cancel food and water.

#21 Edited by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62 said:

I would consider dropping DC comics as a whole, due to being one of the most PO'd guys in the world.

That'd be like if Marvel said that they were going to get rid of Cap or Hulk. I would go nuts...and not in a good way.

haven't they cancelled just about every Hulk book?

and I'm not talking about "relaunch cancel" I'm talking "cancel cancel"

#22 Edited by The_Tree (7720 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Unchained and Batman/Superman have a chance at cancellation if they underperform, but Action Comics or Superman will never be cancelled.

#23 Posted by Wolfrazer (7158 posts) - - Show Bio

The day they do that, is when the world ends.

#24 Posted by Celestialseed (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a chance..The trinity is the only characters they ever cared to promote..=)

#25 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

They may cancel some of his titles (it has happened before) but never Action Comics.

#26 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, Batman, Detective Comics, and Action Comics could sell 10,000 issues combined and DC wouldn't cancel them.

#27 Posted by TDK_1997 (14983 posts) - - Show Bio

Books like Superman Unchained or Batman/Superman may be cancelled if they don't sell at all but they will never cancel Action Comics or Superman.

#28 Posted by supeprimeisfanboyjiz (28 posts) - - Show Bio

No, they will not cancel their flag ship comic. Sales aren't that bad for either. Just not as high as the "Movie Comics." We shall see if Man of Steel increases sales for Superman. I think that it will, esp if the movie is as good as The Watchmen and 300.

#29 Posted by Endanger (133 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonea7 said:

It seems that a lot of people do not like the Superman books(Action & Superman). Would DC ever cancel his books, or just keep putting new creative teams on them? I don't think that they would, because Superman is seen as DC's flagship character, and what does that say about DC if their most popular character does not have his own book.

Wait, did you just say that a lot of people don't like Action Comics??

What have you been reading? Action Comics has been praised mostly by fans, saying Morrison's run was one of the best. It's easily better than Detective Comics....it's not even close.

#30 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Not really, but I get the confusion. See Loeb's "Hulk" was taken over by Jeff Parker, who eventually turned it into Red She Hulk. Incredible Hulk became Indestructible Hulk. For around the last seven years or so there's been a main Hulk book and another one that focuses on a tangential character like Red Hulk or Red She Hulk.

#33 Edited by theoneA7 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@endanger said:

@theonea7 said:

Wait, did you just say that a lot of people don't like Action Comics??

What have you been reading? Action Comics has been praised mostly by fans, saying Morrison's run was one of the best. It's easily better than Detective Comics....it's not even close.

I have been reading both the Superman books and enjoy them for the most part. There have been a few issues that I did not like though. I have read on various comics forums that people don't like them. But that could be people just not liking the character.

#34 Posted by lightsout (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman & Action Comics aren't going anywhere, they might replace a different Superman title with a new one (like back when they had titles like "Adventures of Superman" or "Man of Steel" etc).

#35 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonea7 said:

It seems that a lot of people do not like the Superman books(Action & Superman).

If you you knew how well the books were selling relative to the others you would know why this first statement should NOT have been included in your topic...

Superman's books are selling average to above average while comics like Stormwatch and Batwing are on deathwatch, yet DC is fighting to keep them going...sufficient to say that if there are a lot of people who don't like Superman's books there are a lot more that like the majority of each of DC's other titles even less...

If you want to talk about whether or not DC would cancel a Superman title if it didn't sell well (relative to other comics), that is another topic altogether...

Here is a chart we did in the Batman thread (this was after the 1 year mark for DCnU). It was mainly to show Batman and success, but you use it to check out, we compared the big 3 Heroes. Ive checked anything related to GL, SM, and WW. The new Talon comic is doing well too for Gotham...

JLI was cancelled, but was not on deathwatch ....

Updated found the data for Aquaman and Talon, both are in the 50k range. Talon was in the 50k but was in the 37k ran for November only, no data on December yet. I'd leave it in the 50 range until they post new numbers, besides that's range it would have been in at the time of that article.

Here is the link where they got the raw data

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012.html

And of course the data I used for this list (they used the data above)

http://comicbookrevolution.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=58&Itemid=82

CategoryBatman & FamilyBatman Family on TeamNon-Batman
Allstar
(100k<Sales)
Batman
Justice League
-
High
(80k<sales<100k)
---

Mid

(60k<sales<80k)

Batman The Dark Knight

Batman and Robin

Batman Incorporated

Detective Comics

-
  • Green Lantern
  • Action Comics (SM)
  • Earth 2 (Green Lantern)
Avg

(45k<sales<60k)

Nightwing

Talon

-

Flash

• Superman
Low
(30k<sales<45k)
Batgirl
Batwoman
Catwoman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Teen Titans (trinity Jr)
World's Finest (also power girl)
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Green Lantern New Guardians
  • Red Lanterns
  • Supergirl
  • Wonder Woman
Justice League Dark
Danger
(20k<sales<30k)
Birds of Prey
Suicide Squad(H Quinn)
-All Star Western
Green Arrow
  • Superboy
Dial H
Ravagers
Deathwatch
(0<sales<20k)
Batwing-DC Universe Presents
Deathstroke
Demon Knights
Firestorm
I, Vampire
Legion of Super Heroes
Savage Hawkman
Stormwatch
In the process
of being
cancelled
--Blue Beetle
Frankenstein Agent of Shade
Grifter
Legion Lost
One year later
(cancelled)
Justice League Int.-BlackHawks
Hawk and Dove
Men of War
Mr. Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
Catpain Atom
Resurrection Man
Voodoo
GI Combat

Batman (& family)

1. Batman - Allstar (100,000+)
  2. Batman The Dark Knight - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)
  3. Batman and Robin - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)
  4. Batman Incorporated - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)
  5. Detective Comics - Mid:(60,000 to 79,999)

Bat Family

1. Catwomen - Avg:(45,000 to 59,999)
  2. Batwomen - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  3. Batgirl - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  4. Batwing - Low:(0 to 19,999)
  5. Nightwing - Avg:(45,000 to 59,999)

Teams with Bat family

1. Justice League (Batman) - Allstar (100,000+)
  2. Justice League International (Batman, Batwing) - cancelled
  3. Teen Titans (Red Robin) - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  4. Redhood and the Outlaws (Redhood) - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  5. World's Finest (Huntress) - Low:(30,000 to 44,999)
  6. Birds of Prey (Batgirl & various) - Low:(20,000 to 29,999)
  7. Justice League of America (Catwomen) - ?

Comics with Batman/Gotham Related Characters

1. Talon - spawned from Batman and family crossover event - Avg:(45,000 to 59,999)
  2. Suicide Squad (Harley Quinn) - Low:(20,000 to 29,999)

#36 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely not.

#37 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if Dan Didio decided to start doing bathsalts

#38 Edited by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

If they were planning a new Superman series, then yeah.

#39 Posted by Black_Claw (3007 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman books have as big of a chance of getting cancelled as batman books. In other words, ain't gonna happen.

#40 Posted by Mangakid1995 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Action Comics, Hell No he's they're flagship character. Although anything else Superman related like Superman Unchained or one of his extended family like Supergirl or Jimmy Olsen(lol) then yea if its not selling theyle get rid of it.

#41 Posted by russellmania77 (15663 posts) - - Show Bio

They would prolly try to make him as strong as silver age version or kill him off again before doin all that

#42 Posted by PowerHerc (84990 posts) - - Show Bio

They might reboot them and/or renumber some but DC will never not publish at least one Superman comic.