Would Black Bolt's scream hurt Superman?

• 78 results
kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@wishiwassuperman: Underatandable the battle foeums don't always bring the most intelligent conversation at times

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Wolverine008

@wishiwassuperman said:

I could be wrong but it seems like Black Bolt's scream is reminiscent of Black Canary's (as opposed to say a Silver Banshee). In which case it would offer some impact or concussive type resistance to Superman, but over-all not do much to him I wouldn't think.

As for the idea of Thanos being oh-so powerful - again I could be wrong but isn't he only really that powerful when he has the infinity gems and gauntlet? Without those I didn't think he was anywhere near as powerful - in which case, if you're talking a battle, then I would expect Supe's to take it. However sure , if Thanos has his infinity gems and gauntlet combo and is all powered up - he should beat a normal Supe's. But then one could argue "well Superman could sun dip for like a few hours or go and expose himself to a blue star" in which case I would give advantage Supe's again, and on and on it goes until the end of days with "what if's" and special circumstances being thrown in about a fictional fight between fictional characters.

The fact is Superman pwns all other superheroes and villains because - well he's the boss, basically. He's been around longer than all of them, inspired most of them and their creation... if for no other reason than that, Superman is king. ;-P

Thanos without the Infinity gems and gauntlet would still beat Superman to death with ease.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wishiwassuperman:

Oh, wait. I see the point you were making about debating who's stronger being pointless with powers changing due to story, writers, and interpretation now. Sorry if I came off rudely in my first response to you.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#54 SC  Moderator

@wishiwassuperman said:

No, not really. Admittedly I'm not very well versed in Thanos, but as I understand it, he's an equivalent to Darkseid right? Add in the infinity gauntlet and he's basically as powerful as TOAA? The Thanos/Darkseid comparisons are obvious given one was a direct rip-off of the other, but of course Marvel and DC have different approaches in showing how powerful their characters are, so even then it would probably be hard to compare the two even at their "normal" depictions.

In the end though I find the "who's stronger" type arguments mostly pointless these days since it's 1. Always changing depending on what a writer wants to accomplish and 2. All very much how someone chooses to interpret a feat. I get its fun sometimes to speculate and discuss, but there's always some group of fanboys who take it all way too seriously. It's why I avoid the battle forums normally.

This is a nice considered and intelligent post!

Thanos was originally visually more similar to Metron and he even had a fancy chair design accompanying him (Starlin was a big Kirby fan) in Jim Starlin's mind. Thanos was also originally a lot skinnier as well, but Roy Thomas his editor and subsequent artists thought Thanos looked better with a bulkier look, so he started to share more visual qualities with Darkseid and since they both respectively fulfill a similar spot as top tier badass villains well. In modern times especially the two are a lot more comparable, but mainly due to both's development I would say than original conception.

Without the Gauntlet Thanos is considered pretty tough, like you said fictional characters and all (I agree with that idea a lot) - writers will depict him as capable of beating Silver Surfer to near death. Also a few of Thanos loses were retconned so he didn't look as vulnerable either heh heh. Oh and with the Gauntlet he is powerful but he actually had a story where he attained the "Heart of the Universe" something that implied he did actually become as or near as powerful as the "TOAA" so with the Infinity Gauntlet hmm its a bit hard to compare.

Oh and with Black Bolt and your earlier comparison, hmm Black Canary might not be that helpful - Black Bolts voice is apparently meant to affect and disturb the particle/electron interaction field. So its meant to destructive on an absurd level that involves a lot more pseudoscience heh heh. Hope that helps flesh out the characters a bit more.

I agree with your second paragraph's sentiment too.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@wishiwassuperman:

Oh, wait. I see the point you were making about debating who's stronger being pointless with powers changing due to story, writers, and interpretation now. Sorry if I came off rudely in my first response to you.

All good man - I figured you'd see it eventually. ;-D

@sc said:

This is a nice considered and intelligent post!

Thanos was originally visually more similar to Metron and he even had a fancy chair design accompanying him (Starlin was a big Kirby fan) in Jim Starlin's mind. Thanos was also originally a lot skinnier as well, but Roy Thomas his editor and subsequent artists thought Thanos looked better with a bulkier look, so he started to share more visual qualities with Darkseid and since they both respectively fulfill a similar spot as top tier badass villains well. In modern times especially the two are a lot more comparable, but mainly due to both's development I would say than original conception.

Without the Gauntlet Thanos is considered pretty tough, like you said fictional characters and all (I agree with that idea a lot) - writers will depict him as capable of beating Silver Surfer to near death. Also a few of Thanos loses were retconned so he didn't look as vulnerable either heh heh. Oh and with the Gauntlet he is powerful but he actually had a story where he attained the "Heart of the Universe" something that implied he did actually become as or near as powerful as the "TOAA" so with the Infinity Gauntlet hmm its a bit hard to compare.

Oh and with Black Bolt and your earlier comparison, hmm Black Canary might not be that helpful - Black Bolts voice is apparently meant to affect and disturb the particle/electron interaction field. So its meant to destructive on an absurd level that involves a lot more pseudoscience heh heh. Hope that helps flesh out the characters a bit more.

I agree with your second paragraph's sentiment too.

Thanks for the info. I remember reading about the creation of Thanos and the editor (as you mentioned Roy Thomas) making a comment about making him more like Darkseid. If I remember right the whole thing was because he (Starlin) was a fan of the New Gods stuff at the time, hence the inspiration.

The gauntlet and Thanos info I appreciate - helps me fill out my knowledge a bit better.

As for Black Bolt/Black Canary - yeah as I looked into it a bit more I realized even they were pretty different. Marvel's wiki says it's comparable to a nuclear blast at maximum damage level (and supports the pseudoscience you mentioned regarding being a blast of particles - specifically electron based that he absorbs from the surrounding environment apparently) - so it's obviously very potent, but considering the types of characters being discussed (Superman, and Thanos apparently) I maintain in those specific cases it wouldn't be too damaging - Superman I can comment on specifically and he is more than capable of walking away from a nuclear blast (except in TDKR where Millar felt he would be almost destroyed and needed to absorb energy from plants and other life forms... like seriously?!?!? This is why Superman fans point to that book being a completely ridiculous example of the character... anyway, I'm getting off topic.)

If the damage level however has been adjusted further and is higher, maybe it could be more damaging that I currently assume.

prinplup45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By prinplup45

Yes.. a lot.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@jldoom said:

@yung_ancient_one: In a noncanon movie...

I. First time I ever seen someone use "noncanon" argument against a benefit for a character.

II. That does not change the fact that Superman is shown to be ridiculously strong and defies logic on several accounts.

III. So would BlackBolts scream hurt Superman?

( +)

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#58 SC  Moderator

As for Black Bolt/Black Canary - yeah as I looked into it a bit more I realized even they were pretty different. Marvel's wiki says it's comparable to a nuclear blast at maximum damage level (and supports the pseudoscience you mentioned regarding being a blast of particles - specifically electron based that he absorbs from the surrounding environment apparently) - so it's obviously very potent, but considering the types of characters being discussed (Superman, and Thanos apparently) I maintain in those specific cases it wouldn't be too damaging - Superman I can comment on specifically and he is more than capable of walking away from a nuclear blast (except in TDKR where Millar felt he would be almost destroyed and needed to absorb energy from plants and other life forms... like seriously?!?!? This is why Superman fans point to that book being a completely ridiculous example of the character... anyway, I'm getting off topic.) If the damage level however has been adjusted further and is higher, maybe it could be more damaging that I currently assume.

No probs! Oh and yes I agree with you as far as Thanos and Superman. They may not be as physically big as cities, but they are a lot more dense relatively and how they receive and withstand injury is a lot different, which is great as far as dramatically speaking. The idea of such characters appearing around a massive amount of rubble and destruction and looking banged up but still standing. Another point of comparison that might help you as far as these Marvel characters is that Sentry in his more heroic days was usually seen as sharing the same ball park as Superman with writer intent and fictional abilities.

There was a story where Sentry and Blackbolt were on opposing teams but they essentially kept each other in check because they knew the environment around them would be worse off. A crucial part of one issue was Sentry holding back because he believed Black Bolt was holding back. At one point Black Bolt made a move buy Sentry didn't act and all the characters present were thrown around a bit but no serious injuries. Iron Man ordered Sentry to attack but he still didn't want to, his explanation being he knew it was only a whisper and the assumption being it wouldn't be wise to force a more extreme situation? That was a cool story to me, and a punch wasn't thrown between those two characters but they did have a show down of sorts.

I could imagine a Superman and Black Bolt story would be similar, given Superman's concern for innocents and environments and just general concern even for enemies he faces let alone those he knows may have moral/ethical grounds for actions. We would have two powerful and mighty characters who both spend their lives holding themselves in check for the safety of others put in a situation where force may... may be necessary. I think Superman may end up with a tattered uniform and lots of blood dripping but he would still probably capable of continuing on and even capable of beating Black Bolt after (Black Bolt expending energy to attack that way) - At least I think that, if thats how a story played out and that, that would be most interesting and exciting for both characters. Thor and Black Bolt have fight in the funny books as well, but that was not quite as epic or intense, after Thor hit Black Bolts Tuning Fork headpiece with his hammer and that apparently really hurts since it threw Black Bolt threw a loop. Heh heh.

Heh heh its okay I understand what you mean with Miller and his writing. ^_^

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By z3ro180

I don't think it would hurt him physically but it would do a number on his super hearing.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A scream? Would definitely, inarguably hurt Superman. More to the point, given the way its (mostly) been portrayed, theres a legitimate chance that it kills him. Pretty poor showing against Thanos though :-\

Anyway I would say the believable range of responses range through:

a) severely injured but still conscious

b) unconscious and badly hurt

b) dead

NoBody134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would

prinplup45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By prinplup45

no it wouldn't

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By JLDoom

@yung_ancient_one: Well, it is noncanon. It would be like if I said Superman can reverse time. He can only do that in the Donner movies, nowhere else.

Well, that's up to personal opinion. There's definitely some more ridiculous showings than others but every character has dumb feats.

And considering its recent effect on Thanos? Yeah of course it can hurt Superman, although I don't think he'd be left limping or anything, but he would be hurt no doubt.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It'd give Supes some pain and discomfort but Supes would be able to handle the full force of Black Bolt's voice.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@jldoom said:

@yung_ancient_one:

I. Well, it is noncanon. It would be like if I said Superman can reverse time. He can only do that in the Donner movies, nowhere else.

II. Well, that's up to personal opinion. There's definitely some more ridiculous showings than others but every character has dumb feats.

III. And considering its recent effect on Thanos? Yeah of course it can hurt Superman, although I don't think he'd be left limping or anything, but he would be hurt no doubt.

I. Ok

II. Good point.

III. Okay then. I don't know how badly Thanos was hurt but alrighty then.

( +)

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@yung_ancient_one: Thanos was bleeding and everything, so I'm sure Black Bolt's scream could take quite its toll on Superman.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

He has super hearing, so I would think so.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Bezza

@jldoom said:

@yung_ancient_one: Thanos was bleeding and everything, so I'm sure Black Bolt's scream could take quite its toll on Superman.

Hmm, there may have been a bit of blood, but basically Thanos stood there with Black Bolt screaming in his face, took it and then pile-drove him into the ground with instant KO. I wouldn't say Thanos was exactly hurt. However, I think Superman has the best durability of pretty much any super-hero I can think of, so it would be interesting to see how he stood up to a full blown scream!

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By green_skaar

Yes, of course it would hurt him, can't believe this is even being discussed!?!?

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos durability> Supes durability. Supes would suffer more damage than Thanos I just don't know how much more...

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it can

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos durability>supers?

He has a shield,that could be tank odin blow or planet explosion,but no shield?No

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If thanos is more "durable" than supers.it's just because Death dont want to thanos dies,she save thanos,he just cant dies

So,that put him even above SA superman"durable",but i dont think this should be classified as durability

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Supes will get hurt, but he is tough enough to survive.

Avatar image for alessandro_souzamarques
alessandro_souzamarques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would severally hurt him. Thanos had a bleeding mouth and a ear bleeding. Sure it was all he had but it would be MUCH worse to Superman.

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sebast_Allen

Scans of it please, supes will be severly beaten or just koed

dami24434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman surely won't tank it, he will be bloodied and even KOed. silver banshee has given him trouble this is no brainer

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman has survived black holes so it shouldn't. however, any writer can do whatever he wants to do.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it would.