• 80 results
#1 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been thinking about this for the passed cople of days and i cant figure it out. i know more aboout supreman than i do green lantern but to be chosen by the ring of the green lanterns you must have a pure heart and soul or something like that but when they talk about superman it seems like you couldnt get more pure so i will ask again,

why hasnt superman ever become a green lantern or any other color lantern for that matter?

#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

he has been a green lantern

and I say he could easily be a blue lantern

#3 Posted by Djinn (778 posts) - - Show Bio

i really dont know about the dc comcis but it might be because superman is already very powerful and people are complaining about him beign to powerful and to give him a ring would make fans that think that not so happy, but i dont know

#4 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
to be chosen by the ring of the green lanterns you must have a pure heart and soul

um.... no....

to be chosen as a ring barer of the Green Lantern Corps you have to show that you can overcome true fear and have pure Willpower....

there are a couple of other requirements like Honor and the ability to do the right thing, but the ability to overcome True Fear and Willpower are the two big ones

M
#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

oh, also, the GL Corps already has a Sodamite called Daxam Yat... wait, no, a Daxamite called Sodam Yat.... he's basically a Superman clone anyway, he;'s just missing the personality lol

M

#6 Posted by StormAmazonPheonix (286 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
"I have been thinking about this for the passed cople of days and i cant figure it out. i know more aboout supreman than i do green lantern but to be chosen by the ring of the green lanterns you must have a pure heart and soul or something like that but when they talk about superman it seems like you couldnt get more pure so i will ask again,

why hasnt superman ever become a green lantern or any other color lantern for that matter?"

Because that would make him, even more of an over powered retard.
#7 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
StormAmazonPheonix said:
"DEGRAAF said:
"I have been thinking about this for the passed cople of days and i cant figure it out. i know more aboout supreman than i do green lantern but to be chosen by the ring of the green lanterns you must have a pure heart and soul or something like that but when they talk about superman it seems like you couldnt get more pure so i will ask again,

why hasnt superman ever become a green lantern or any other color lantern for that matter?"

Because that would make him, even more of an over powered retard."
best post on this thread
#8 Posted by StormAmazonPheonix (286 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for that, man.

#9 Posted by bumnut (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"oh, also, the GL Corps already has a Sodamite called Daxam Yat... wait, no, a Daxamite called Sodam Yat.... he's basically a Superman clone anyway, he;'s just missing the personality lol

M
"

"sodomite" that sounds so wrong lol
#10 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
bumnut said:
"Methos said:
"oh, also, the GL Corps already has a Sodamite called Daxam Yat... wait, no, a Daxamite called Sodam Yat.... he's basically a Superman clone anyway, he;'s just missing the personality lol

M
"

"sodomite" that sounds so wrong lol"
*sigh* get your head out of the gutter
#11 Posted by bumnut (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
SUNMAN said:
"bumnut said:
"Methos said:

M
"

"sodomite" that sounds so wrong lol"
*sigh* get your head out of the gutter
"

*sigh* o.k. boss ;-)
#12 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe they explained that with the fact that Superman is not native to sector 2814, and therefore cannot be a lantern in it. But since he lives on Earth he cannot be a lantern of the sector Krypton was in either.

I think this relatively makes sense.

#13 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause he doesn't need to be. He is powerful enough to smack around those green policeman.

#14 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"he has been a green lantern

and I say he could easily be a blue lantern
"
i know they have shown him being a green lantern before but i mean like main conintuity long period of time type of green lantern
Djinn said:
"i really dont know about the dc comcis but it might be because superman is already very powerful and people are complaining about him beign to powerful and to give him a ring would make fans that think that not so happy, but i dont know

"
yea but that would make me think that they would want him that much more to have a suped up super being on their side with little to hurt him that much more.Methos said:
"DEGRAAF said:
to be chosen by the ring of the green lanterns you must have a pure heart and soul

um.... no....

to be chosen as a ring barer of the Green Lantern Corps you have to show that you can overcome true fear and have pure Willpower....

there are a couple of other requirements like Honor and the ability to do the right thing, but the ability to overcome True Fear and Willpower are the two big ones

M
"

lol yea thats why if you quoted the rest of it you would see i say "or something like that" and "that i know more about superman than i do green lantern" but all the requirements you listed superman has alsoMethos said:

M
"
if that is the case i would like to see more of him.StormAmazonPheonix said:
"DEGRAAF said:

Because that would make him, even more of an over powered retard."

good point except for the fact that imo hes not a retard and it never hurts to have more powerAtPhantom said:
"I believe they explained that with the fact that Superman is not native to sector 2814, and therefore cannot be a lantern in it. But since he lives on Earth he cannot be a lantern of the sector Krypton was in either.

"
see this makes senseStrongestOneThereIs said:
"Cause he doesn't need to be. He is powerful enough to smack around those green policeman. "
yea but like i said earlier it never hurts to have more power

#15 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

well Hal jordan is a total prick maybe thats why hes a good gl cause he dont give a dam about anything so he does fear anything...superman has some fears like loosing his loved ones which seems to be a constant threat so maybe thats why the ring doesnt choose him.

But in terms of will power I say hes totally got that down hes been through alot and carried the weight of the whole universe and always come out on top so hes not running second place in will power to any gl.

#16 Posted by Stormultt (5317 posts) - - Show Bio

hes already very powerful and a little overrated...yes Overrated so no he should stay original

#17 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
if that is the case i would like to see more of him.

Read the Corps book then, he appears more in that with Kyle and Guy than anywhere else... though saying that, he hasn't really done anything aside from getting his ass handed to him by every lame villain that crosses his path lol

M
#18 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they consider him a threat? I mean after all he is already incredibly powerful, you don't give more power to the already powerful, that's a freaking mistake!

#19 Edited by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio
G'bandit said:
"Maybe they consider him a threat? I mean after all he is already incredibly powerful, you don't give more power to the already powerful, that's a freaking mistake!
"
if its superman i think he would still be ok even with more power
Methos
said:
"DEGRAAF said:

Read the Corps book then, he appears more in that with Kyle and Guy than anywhere else... though saying that, he hasn't really done anything aside from getting his ass handed to him by every lame villain that crosses his path lol

M
"
lol that is  pretty dumb if a person as strong as superman and green lantern gets his but kicked every fight
#20 Posted by King Saturn (224035 posts) - - Show Bio
I like Superman the way he is... but I wouldnt mine if he became a Blue Lantern... for a little while at least

lol
#21 Edited by Kid Deadpool (39 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"but I wouldnt mine if he became a Blue Lantern... for a little while at least

lol
"
nahhhh.

DEGRAAF
said:

..... because he's just not.
#22 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's ridiculous enough as he is.

#23 Posted by inferiorego (23211 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"DEGRAAF said:

M
"
Sodom is a big part of this months issue, I just finished it.
Staff
#24 Posted by Kataklysmo (859 posts) - - Show Bio
What do they mean by true fear?

What is willpower to the GL corp?
#25 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

Well isn't Mogo really close to where Krypton is/was as after Superboy-Prime was flown through Rao, or whatever the sun is called they landed on Mogo. So that explains why Kal has never been ofered a ring, as his sector already has one.
Kataklysmo said:

"What do they mean by true fear?

What is willpower to the GL corp?
"
Willpower is what allows the Corps to use their rings, no will, no cool shapes.
The Lanterns have to overcome the most frigthening moment of their life otherwise their rings won't work on yellow. or something along those lines

#26 Edited by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the most important think is that the Green Lantern Corps has their own agenda. Green Lanterns work for the Guardians, they have a system of rules they have to follow and they are placed where the Guardians want them to be. Superman do just whatever he feels it's right.

The Guardians gave the Ion powers to a guy with all the Superman's powers. The  Ion is the most powerfull thing a Green Lantern can have, or become, right?

So extra-power shouldn't be a problem to Superman, also he already showed the ability to use a Green Lantern Power Ring, and there are other Green Lanterns who don't work in their home planet, so I don't think Superman had to work in Krypton's sector, especially because Krypton don't exist!!!

#27 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

i would just like to see him as a lantern

#28 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
"i would just like to see him as a lantern"
Read Batman: in darkest knight and Superman: Up up and away.
#29 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
your the only one
#30 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

BECAUSE HE'S SUPERMAN....duh.

#31 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio
AtPhantom said:
"DEGRAAF said:
Read Batman: in darkest knight and Superman: Up up and away.
"
batman in the darkest knight is just about batman w the ring right?

Superman up up and away does have superman in it as a green lantern?

SUNMAN said:
"DEGRAAF said:
your the only one"
yea i highly doubt that
#32 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
"AtPhantom said:

SUNMAN said:
"DEGRAAF said:
your the only one"
yea i highly doubt that
"
find 20 people who want to see Supes as a GL
#33 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"BECAUSE HE'S SUPERMAN....duh."

#34 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i dont know 20 people that like comic books.

#35 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman isn't a Green Lantern, because that would really suck something major. Why would he need the ring? What more could he accomplish with it?

#36 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

im not necessarily saying he should get one im just kinda wonderin why it was never offered.

also how strong of a green lantern would he be

#37 Posted by the Social Moth (36 posts) - - Show Bio
StrongestOneThereIs said:
"Cause he doesn't need to be. He is powerful enough to smack around those green policeman. "
I heard that the ring could replicate kryptonite rays...if this IS true then there is some degree of effort
And, and dont attack me for it, Smallville had any continuity to the Superman main continuity, then there is the fact that he does doubt himself, but that happens to every hero one time or another...GL's use their will...superman's 'Will' is his fist
#38 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman was ment to be the Greatest Green Lantern of Them All and Be the leader or the Green Lantern Corps when The Guardians of the Universe passed on. It says it all here http://www.supermansupersite.com/1972.html

this might just be some writers view but i like this story alot and wish this was the beginning of the superman story

#39 Posted by Scarecrow4 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the reason is because Superman chooses not to be a green lantern just as Batman does; They don't feel they need the ring to help the greater good.  Superman has been offered the ring a few times just as batman has and he's turned it down every time because he simply does not want it.    

#40 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's another possibility: Green Lanterns are chosen from their respective world's native population.  Superman isn't from Earth originally, so he can't be the GL for sector 2814.  Furthermore, his home planet of Krypton is gone and therefore doesn't require policing by the GLC.  Or perhaps Krypton's sector of space has a planet with a more worthy inhabitant?

#41 Posted by bonesboy08 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

he does get a lantern ring in the 853 century dc one million anybody (it hasn't been reconed as far as i know)?

#42 Posted by NightFang (9988 posts) - - Show Bio

BECAUSE HE'S SUPERMAN AND IT WOULD BE OVERKILL.

#43 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL.

#44 Posted by Kentaxx (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

He was offered a ring, but he turned it down saying he didnt want that much power

#45 Posted by MrDirector786 (43531 posts) - - Show Bio

In Up, Up, and Away, GL offered him his ring, but he was happy the way he was, though he eventually gets his powers back. If you're wondering how he lost his powers, he went through a red sun with Superman Prime to defeat him and lost his power in the process for a whole year because apparently he didn't want to be Superman but he wants to be Superman again during Up Up and Away. Just read Up Up and Away and Infinite Crisis.

#46 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

because the guardians shouldn't be that stupid. But it doesn't hold up when they give daxamite's rings. Sure give the most powerful race a ring bearer and if he goes rogue prepare to be screwed

#47 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

yea but lead is easier to find than kryptonite. THey could defeat daxem a ring if he didnt already kill him self

#48 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman has enough power. He needs to go back to pre crisis Superman were villians can actually stand a chance against him.

#49 Posted by Stefano (346 posts) - - Show Bio

because he doesnt belong to earth's sector

#50 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe they explained that with the fact that Superman is not native to sector 2814, and therefore cannot be a lantern in it. But since he lives on Earth he cannot be a lantern of the sector Krypton was in either.

Mmmh, it does.

Also, I think that Superman has to overcome a lot of doubts and disadvantages, but seldom actual fear. It's more suited for people who don't have a lot of power on their native worlds (with some exceptions), because they know how to rise up from the mass and face stuff others don't with no means.