Why is only Superman called overpowered/unrelatable?

• 125 results
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By SC  Moderator
Its probably less of a power issue, and more of a consistency issue tied directly into popularity (because lets face it, a bunch of characters are inconsistent power wise)  

Hulk and Thor aren't as popular as Superman, not in general, and not even within their own universes. They in turn are other character's "Superman" too in a sense, (Wonder Man, maybe)  

All three characters above will 'lose', but how much they win, and how big they win when it matters? Well, thats usually tied into how important and popular they are. Supes tends to do quite well here compared to Hulk and Thor, and I think Hulk gets to this more than Thor, but Wolverine is up there too, ditto Spiderman a little bit, but a lot of his appeal has nothing to do with power. Hulk and Superman it does more.  

Lack of being relatable as a criticism of Supes, can be a bit lazy, but it can be true in a general sense, but really it varies on the story, and depiction, and people identifying certain traits. With Hulk its pretty easy to, with Supes and Thor, sorta depends. Everyone can feel like an alien, or feel that people lack seeing the good that they do, or the super part of themselves, lots of people like fighting and hammers and DIY lol
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Primmaster64
@Valtot said:
" superman you can relate to on doing good things helping people, hulk on your just angry all the time and wanna  destroy things, batman you just wanna dress up at nighttime as a bat and go around beating up criminals, thor you can relate to if u carry a hammer and go around fighting monsters. Out of all these who can people relate to the most? "
lol
OminousFlare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By OminousFlare

Because helping people is sooooo realistic in the modern world.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people are stupid and uneducated on the matter.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Because their idiots who don't read comics and think they're automatic experts on the character by getting superficial knowledge from tv shows and movies.

loplopool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beacuse hes really powerful until you get a little rock where a 5 year old could shoot him with a shotgun

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Its mainly because they've never read about him or they only care about the pre crisis stuff. People who say he's unrelatable then say that a billionaire who romps around at night using 127 different types of martial arts and makes plans that always work is what most people are like. Superman is basically the average Joe, never mind that he can fly or bench press a planet underneath that is man just trying to get the job done. The man has more power than most characters and yet he still holds back and protects people. With his incredible hearing he can hear everything happening to people and he knows he can't save them all. He goes to work and people think he's silly or that he's not popular yet he still tries to be a good person. Why? Because that's what he see's in us and he inspires to be like us. The guy has no planet and there about three others from his planet, the other two want to kill everyone while the other one doesn't fully understand what it is to be human. In a total sense he is alone and unlike the other more relatable character he doesn't brood, he puts on a happy face and helps people. In my book that makes him more relatable than any other character.

saintutd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By saintutd

They are bloody idiots! I hate it when people say "oh he's not relatable" well duh! Go watch flipping eastenders for that crap!

Also I love bats as much as the next dude but he's the most unrelatable character out there! Most fanboys say "bat man is relatable that's why I like him" no he's fu#king not!!

Superman needs to be powerful, the writers need to stop being lazy and up their game that's all

Avatar image for whowatchesthewatchmen
Whowatchesthewatchmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Superman doesn't wear "panties" anymore either.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#110 vance_astro  Moderator

S\o to everyone who thought I was serious about the "wearing red panties" thing...

Avatar image for jordanisntsuper
JordanIsntSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hulk doesn't have super brains, someone could outsmart him. Superman is not only super strong but super smart as well. I think superman's abilities do get ridiculous sometimes. I saw a youtube clip of some animated superman movie and superman was able to read thoughts and do amazing stuff with his mind, and for me that's too much. And Superman is more popular than a lot of these other characters you guys are mentioning so of course you are hearing more opinions about him than less popular characters.

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By BloodyNights

I personally find Wolverine, Superman, and Hulk....possibly Thor but I doubt it on him. Boring, not unrelateable. Heck add Supergirl, Powergirl, and whoever else who is retarded strong, and heals from everything. Minus Deadpool...he is funny :D

I feel like instead of needing some type of plot hax to win, these characters need plot hax to lose. Which makes me feel like...I don't really care that they've been thrown into the sun, stabbed a hundred times in the gut, or whatever random thing that could happen to them. Because they simply will not die. I guess I feel that there should be some type of risk to being that character. I know Superman has his occasional weakness, but it's not really exciting to me to see that for the 50th time. lol

I guess it's semi off topic. But instead of being unrelateable I just find his adventures more boring. Probably because I can't see the earth shattering punches in full motion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@irishx said:

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:

"Spider-man has incredible powers, dates hot women and has strong ties in the superhero community, yet people claim he's relatable "

He's also human. Superman is an alien. That might make a little difference.

If Superman was raised on Krypton, your argument would be valid. But he was raised on a Kansas farm, sooo.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jimishim12

He's the ultimate generic concept and a dull status quo, he is like prototype fanfiction character, except he predates OCs and jumpstarted the superhero genere, but in all tons of characters have vast scopes of being more exciting with their characters and stories and Supes himself just spells out his character as simple as possible, he's Super.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Ignorance and blind hatred, he's the most popular superhero on the planet. Like I said before, when you're at the top, people tend to look down on you.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Jimishim12

@the_stegman:

He's the most well known and presented face of the text book superhero, as a character and especially a popular one. Batman is the face and pretty much the most beloved superhero in the world.

Spidey is second.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he is extremely overpowered. He isnt that relatable either but its not as bad as people say it is. Or maybe it is, I can't relate with a guy who misses his train to work a few times a week on purpose just to feel normal.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By youmessinwithme

The first post interests me because

in my opinion Thor, Silver Surfer and Martian manhunter all are overpowered(the first two vastly).

Superman imo is just on the cusp. when they write him benching the earth for 5 days without his armor that makes him stronger or any sunlight without really straining himself... yeah than He is overpowered.

No problem with his average showings in the new 25 though.

*new 52

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bullshit about Magic being any of a game changer, Superman just has to be proactive towards it and overcome it with his vast power set I don't see this being a problem. Who's the say Superman himself isn't a mystic creature, despite his backround intergrated in science, I mean he has broken the laws of physics and reality plenty of times in the past. Superman I believe if he wanted to could be a transcendent being just like his Superman one million version if he wished, he can pretty much do anything if he wants even apparently outrun infinity. Magic, maybe Superman is a combination of super science and pure divinity as he's basically alien jesus sometimes there for can beat arcane power with his awesome holiness and pure nature.

Heres a thread about him punking "Magic"

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=371890&pagenumber=103

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the ultimate generic concept and a dull status quo, he is like prototype fanfiction character, except he predates OCs and jumpstarted the superhero genere, but in all tons of characters have vast scopes of being more exciting with their characters and stories and Supes himself just spells out his character as simple as possible, he's Super.

Well said. I like Superheroes well enough but ultimately they're outmoded relics and Superman is the dominant archetype of this concept.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is overpowered. If you read silver age superman you know what I'm talking about but even now he is still overpowered

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By PowerWoman

@jayc1324 said:

Superman is overpowered. If you read silver age superman you know what I'm talking about but even now he is still overpowered

No,superman too weak,he just push planets,even not close to a universe level

"Even the mightiest beings among them are like MICROBES to me!"

"That REALITY isnt real to me!everything is what i say it is!"

"My imagination and reality are virtually indistinguishable"

"All exstence,except me,might as well be a figment of my imagination"!

Beyonder is overpowered,others charater was weak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: well its not just his strength its all his other powers combined with his strength

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: How that overpowered?

When there have a charater:

"That REALITY isnt real to me!everything is what i say it is!"

"My imagination and reality are virtually indistinguishable"

"All exstence,except me,might as well be a figment of my imagination"!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: would you agree that a cartoon show fits those descriptions? A figment of imagination, reality doesnt apply.. Sounds like a cartoon almost. Well superman had to be depowered for the justice league cartoon. If you're so powerful that you have to get depowered in a cartoon to make everyone else look good I would day you're overpowered

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: No,superman still too weak for me,untill superman sneeze destroy Omniverse i would said he was overpowered

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#127  Edited By jwalser3

Why is everyone talking about superpowers in this matter. Any superhero would be considered unrelatable if that's the case. Superman, could be relatable in the sense that he is the good everyone wants to be.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By PowerWoman

@jwalser3: Because people dont want to superman too "powerful",they are belive superman too powerful,so others hero look like weak
though i think superman really make everyone look like a joke,but that not mean he was too powerful,when you know who is beyonder,toaa,superman just a joke level for them