Why is only Superman called overpowered/unrelatable?

• 125 results
jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Edited By jointron33

Why do people never pick on Thor and Hulk?

jasraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jasraj
Why is this not in the Superman forum?
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MrDirector786

Mainly because they're trying to find an excuse to hate Superman but they become hypocrites in the process. They say Thor and Hulk can beat Superman, but according to them Superman is overpowered and yet Hulk and Thor, who they claim are more powerful, are somehow not overpowered.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Thor's hammmer

I would say Thor is unrelatable aswell, as for overpowered I would say neither Thor or superman are. I really like both characters 

solar and Specter are overpowered
Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Demas

Deadpool is popular and not particularly relatable.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Green Skin

What I don't understand is how you always hear about Supes being over powered, but you never hear the same about Martian Manhunter. From my understanding he's just Superman with some extra powers thrown in.  He must not be popular enough to hate on.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Spider-man has incredible powers, dates hot women and has strong ties in the superhero community, yet people claim he's relatable 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Magian
@MrDirector786 said:
" Mainly because they're trying to find an excuse to hate Superman but they become hypocrites in the process. They say Thor and Hulk can beat Superman, but according to them Superman is overpowered and yet Hulk and Thor, who they claim are more powerful, are somehow not overpowered. "
Thank you!
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Primmaster64
@MrDirector786 said:
" Mainly because they're trying to find an excuse to hate Superman but they become hypocrites in the process. They say Thor and Hulk can beat Superman, but according to them Superman is overpowered and yet Hulk and Thor, who they claim are more powerful, are somehow not overpowered. "
:D
Avatar image for killer_of_trolls
Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

@jointron33:
seariously, why nobuddy here knows the answer, I'll just tell you, because when some writers would do stuff like make superman back in pre-crisis snease  galaxy away although he reseaved  hearting punches from people who just can't be imagined in that level,  or boy prime ripping through AM who eats universes, WTF(what does it matter if he was tired),  or shattering reallity itself with a punch( What ever that means) superWTF, all people saw was a broken wall of ice.    there are more stuff, I think you get the point, I mean for instance it would be very worthless to argue using such feats in the battle forum and they were infact ignored everytime someone mentions stuff like that or posts a scan.       well, that's mostly it, I am glad I could help.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By IrishX
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"Spider-man has incredible powers, dates hot women and has strong ties in the superhero community, yet people claim he's relatable  "

He's also human. Superman is an alien. That might make a little difference.
JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By JairamGanpat
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Spider-man has incredible powers, dates hot women and has strong ties in the superhero community, yet people claim he's relatable  "
1 out of 3 aint so bad :p
Avatar image for nightcrawler1212
nightcrawler1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nightcrawler1212

because superman is overpowerd
Avatar image for ghostrider_fan1
ghostrider fan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ghostrider fan1

maybe they pick on supes(sometimes i do too i admit) because he was the beginning of overpowered superheroes. people also may not pick on Thor or hulk because in marvel Thor and hulk are the only really powerful people on earth(save for maybe the Ghost Riders but they don't fight cosmic beings) while on the other hand DC has almost every big hero except batman be very powerful and/or equal to supes in power also his strength level always varies because of the hate on him sometimes he can move planets and others he needs help move one planet and to be fair im ok with supes i like thor more though because he's mostly on his own on earth with his power level save for hulk but still respect him either way  

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ssejllenrad
@MrDirector786 said:
Actually they're different. The ones that hate him cause he's "overpowered" are usually not the same guys that think Superman could easily be defeated. But they're two sides of the same hatin' coin...
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By agent9149
@jointron33:  super man is not overpowered...he is really weak to magic and is basically
i dont like him cause hes such a boyscout
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrDirector786
@ssejllenrad said:
" @MrDirector786 said:
Actually they're different. The ones that hate him cause he's "overpowered" are usually not the same guys that think Superman could easily be defeated. But they're two sides of the same hatin' coin... "
Actually I have seen people who call him overpowered and think that people like Hulk and Thor can beat him and they actually say that Hulk and Thor aren't overpowered. Granted, I've only seen like maybe 2 people like that but I'm certain there are still more out there.

@ghostrider fan1:
I personally think another reason may be that Thor isn't as popular or as well known as Superman. Until the announcement of a Thor movie came up, I doubt that many people knew about Thor at all, at least compared to how many knew about Superman.
batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By batman_is_god
@MrDirector786 said:
"Mainly because they're trying to find an excuse to hate Superman but they become hypocrites in the process. They say Thor and Hulk can beat Superman, but according to them Superman is overpowered and yet Hulk and Thor, who they claim are more powerful, are somehow not overpowered. "

Preach brother. 

Plus Superman is more popular. Nobody likes to like the character they think is popular. That is why more and more series start with knock off characters (like Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog)
batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By batman_is_god
@IrishX said:
"@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"Spider-man has incredible powers, dates hot women and has strong ties in the superhero community, yet people claim he's relatable  "
He's also human. Superman is an alien. That might make a little difference. "

@IrishX:
Spider-Man being human has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that he is not this 6'2" stud with a career (usually) and he is younger than most heroes (his classic depiction is a high schooler, typical age group of comic readers) that makes him relateable. While he dates hot woman, he has regular dating issues.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ssejllenrad
@MrDirector786: Really? Baah! Haters truly suck!
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Superman is overpowered.

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!
@MrDirector786:  Funny enough I have a friend who hates Superman in what he represents but yet loves Captain Marvel to death.
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrDirector786
@ssejllenrad said:
" @MrDirector786: Really? Baah! Haters truly suck! "
Yeah. To be honest, a lot of the reasons I've seen people have for hating Superman seem to be excuses to hate him if you ask me. Many also hate him out of ignorance and misinformation.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@batman_is_god said:
" @MrDirector786 said:
"Mainly because they're trying to find an excuse to hate Superman but they become hypocrites in the process. They say Thor and Hulk can beat Superman, but according to them Superman is overpowered and yet Hulk and Thor, who they claim are more powerful, are somehow not overpowered. "
Preach brother.  Plus Superman is more popular. Nobody likes to like the character they think is popular. That is why more and more series start with knock off characters (like Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog) "
This. So much this.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I hate Superman because he wears red panties over his tights with a belt.

I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Because of DC's marketing of the character over the years might have something to do with it. You know, like Superfriends! People don't know about the source material or care about it in general love to complain about him as an excuse to never read comics, like annoying manga fans that I normally socialize with in my school. I love Superman, I admit I use to be one of the people who hates his character but after reading a couple of his stories including the 1930's reprint origin changed my perception.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danhimself
@Vance Astro said:
" I hate Superman because he wears red panties over his tights with a belt. "
but it's ok for Batman to do the same?
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#28  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

hulk is relatable to certain people because hes an outcast. someone who is constantly being pushed around by authority, Spider-man is misunderstood because for the most part hes an average joe  he deals with constant relationship problems and financial dilemmas  i personally have never seen Superman as perfect or overpowered but as a role model i  still think Supes is awesome and always will
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!
@danhimself:  Hell yeah, Batman is dark. He also runs around with a boy and endangering his life by fighting an never ending battle.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@danhimself said:
" @Vance Astro said:
but it's ok for Batman to do the same? "
Yes because his panties are black.
Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Supermans struggle is with peoples expectations of him so people can relate to that. Hulk is relatable because of his struggle and the fact that he is an outcast. I guess you could say that Thor is relatable if your struggling to live up to your fathers expectations but i don't relate to Thor I find his series epic and fantastic not relatabel.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Something that I've found that's really odd is that there seems to be some kind of schism amongst Superman fans where they have to disparage Bruce Wayne. It's really weird.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrDirector786
@Vance Astro said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Vance Astro said:
but it's ok for Batman to do the same? "
Yes because his panties are black. "
What about Wolverine and his bluish-black panties or Taskmaster and his white panties?
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!
@MrDirector786:  Acceptable, because those were designed by the bad girl of the eighties/nineties Pat Benatar.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@MrDirector786 said:
What about Wolverine and his bluish-black panties or Taskmaster and his white panties? "
Wolverine doesn't wear them anymore and Taskmaster doesn't wear panties he wears Ralph Lauren briefs for men.
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrDirector786

One thing about Superman and relatability. Superman isn't supposed to be relatable. He's supposed to be an ideal person that others want to be like - not some hero who everyone can relate to. And really, being relatable doesn't necessarily always make a character better. A good character is a good character whether or not they are realistic or imaginative.

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea of an alien wearing blue spandex being 1000x times more powerful than their own favourite hero, can pi** off a lot of people.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@MrDirector786 said:
" One thing about Superman and relatability. Superman isn't supposed to be relatable. He's supposed to be an ideal person that others want to be like - not some hero who everyone can relate to. And really, being relatable doesn't necessarily always make a character better. A good character is a good character whether or not they are realistic or imaginative. "
Why do you like Superman (If you do in fact like him)?
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@agent9149 said:
" @jointron33:  super man is not overpowered...he is really weak to magic and is basically i dont like him cause hes such a boyscout "
I agree with this I hate boy scouts they just piss me off
but yet i love Captain America hmmmm odd
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrDirector786
@Vance Astro said:
" Why do you like Superman (If you do in fact like him)? "
I like him because I think he's an ideal hero and is an inspiration not only to regular people but to other heroes as well. He may not be relatable and may be perfect but he's the kind of person others should strive to be like - not in powers but in actions. His powers are great but it's really his personality and what he does that really make him what he is. His creation back in the 1930s is also what would spark the creation of many other superheroes in the future. So if it wasn't for him, we may not have all the other heroes we see in comics today.
batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By batman_is_god

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

"Something that I've found that's really odd is that there seems to be some kind of schism amongst Superman fans where they have to disparage Bruce Wayne. It's really weird. "

The opposite is true too. Many Batman fans have a thing against Superman. That is fading though.

@hydrabob said:

" @agent9149 said:
" @jointron33:  super man is not overpowered...he is really weak to magic and is basically i dont like him cause hes such a boyscout "
I agree with this I hate boy scouts they just piss me off but yet i love Captain America hmmmm odd "

That's just because you hate DC though. Cap is Marvel so you are willing to like him.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Thor's hammmer said:
"Supermans struggle is with peoples expectations of him so people can relate to that. Hulk is relatable because of his struggle and the fact that he is an outcast. I guess you could say that Thor is relatable if your struggling to live up to your fathers expectations but i don't relate to Thor I find his series epic and fantastic not relatabel. "

Exactly, i personally dont like to relate to characters myself.
Overkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Overkill
@Vance Astro said:

You mean like, I dunno, almost every superhero ever created after Superman?

Oh wait, they weren't wearing red. Cuz it's such a big difference. Silly me.
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#44  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

"No one wants to look up to you anymore Superman.  
They dont want to strain their necks." 
              -Lex Luthor
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Vance Astro: You're baiting fanboys aren't you? Ehehehehe!
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Primmaster64

Marvel sucks

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IrishX
@batman_is_god said:
"@IrishX said:
"@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
He's also human. Superman is an alien. That might make a little difference. "
@IrishX: Spider-Man being human has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that he is not this 6'2" stud with a career (usually) and he is younger than most heroes (his classic depiction is a high schooler, typical age group of comic readers) that makes him relateable. While he dates hot woman, he has regular dating issues. "

Yes being human does have something to do with it. I've already stated in a private convo with the threads originator that spidey being a character with a geeky reputation shouldn't be compared to the "Man of Steel". There's more than one reason why Spidey is far more relatable than Superman and being human is one of them.
Avatar image for theworldbreaker
Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Theworldbreaker

People just try to find reasons to hate on sups, i dont think he's overpowerd unless we are talking PC or Prime.
Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Valtot
@Overkill said:
"@Vance Astro said:

i could name over 100 other characters who wear underwear on the outside   

and another reason people hate superman is because hes one of the most powerful characters in comics but can  be brought down with magic, kryptonite, red sun rays. 
ok thats not true whoever sparks rumours like that is silly superman is weak to kryptonite but isnt gonna drop just being around it unless in like 10 minutes and has proven hes more resistant than usual in current comics with other kryptonians dropping when hit with kryptonite but he stands. 
k second is magic hes not weak to magic at all and is actually incredibly resistant to it but not on par with his invunrablity, he has knowledge of magic so knows how to overcome it, and currently has a magic dispel aura on him to proven otherwise in comics 

3rd is red sun rays which superman has shown many times that it takes a while and high doses to weaken him and they freeze his powers not drain them.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By PowerHerc

I guess the haters concentrate on the best.