Why I Hate Man of Steel

• 68 results
BigSupermanFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know not liking this film is a controversial viewpoint to take - but I think I have some valid reasons as to why this film just didn't work for me.

Man of Steel, in my opinion, was not only terrible in its own right but also served to sully and disgrace the reputation of Superman in the public consciousness.

Who in their right mind thought that Superman outright snapping Zod's neck and murdering him in cold blood was a good idea?

I went to watch the film with some friends and found myself in the position of the only one genuinely despising it; this is an effort to fully articulate some of the points that really annoyed me with Man of Steel:

That's my video I created fully explain my reasoning. The funny thing is, I could have gone into a lot more detail with this video - getting even more specific and longer with the runtime - but these are the major gripes I had - chiefly dealing with plot and character.

I'd appreciate any counterarguments or rebuttals from you guys.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting points.

The whole "Kal-El snapping Zod's neck" fiasco has been addressed a huge number of times so I'm not even going to bother counter-arguing that point. Most of the stuff you pointed out there was purely from opinion and not facts, this showed in how most of your arguments was basically calling something "stupid" because you didn't like it. I, for one, found the film very interesting and breathed new life to Superman. MoS, for me, was different from all the other Superman films and that's probably what made me like it the most, that and the amount of action it had. I'd happily watch this film again..

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the people rants about a movie because Rotten Tomatoes told them what to think!!!
So the people rants about a movie because Rotten Tomatoes told them what to think!!!

Another one of this, repeat the same thing and shw how much people ignores or overlooks about Superman and how much nostalgia there is in the world.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh....another I don't like MoS thread, huh? We were due for one. I mean its been almost 24 hours since the last one.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Such a retarded thread. I mean c'mon, I'm not even a fan of Superman and here's a "BigSupermanFan" complaining about the movie!! I thought the movie was great!!!

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a retarded thread. I mean c'mon, I'm not even a fan of Superman and here's a "BigSupermanFan" complaining about the movie!! I thought the movie was great!!!

The thread is more redundant than retarded, since it's the same sh** that has been said over a million times.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets play a game, lets go and count how many of these are and at the end of the year we post the number and show they just simply said the same Rotten Tomatoes and how much this overrated bloggers have brainwashed the internet.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So where the hell are the valid points the OP is supposed to give? I see ignorance and a refusal to let go of the Silver Age version of Superman but I don't see any validity...

I really don't see the point of this thread. It's bland. It's superficial. It's shallow. There is nothing wrong with hating on the film as long as one can intelligently defend one's critique. Otherwise it will come out as pure whining and ignorant.

Want a good pro-Man of Steel review? Read @k4tzm4n's review.

http://www.comicvine.com/reviews/man-of-steel/1900-1840/

Want a good Man of Steel review that is doubtful of the film? Read @lvenger's review.

http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/a-super-disappointment-my-man-of-steel-review-spoi-1471461/#126

Both have opposing takes on the film but both have good insights from their respective points-of-view. Not lame-ass whining.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: give it a year and Man of Steel wil get praised for being a great film.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets play a game, lets go and count how many of these are and at the end of the year we post the number and show they just simply said the same Rotten Tomatoes and how much this overrated bloggers have brainwashed the internet.

Let's play a better game. I know a hacker who can triangulate some (not all) of the IP address locations of some of these bloggers. I have a rifle... Wink wink!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just more curious to see if the OP abandoned their thread. I am forgiving when people create a thread because they didn't see an old one or something, but there is no way they missed the other threads with the same opinions...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

New flash douche bags NOT EVERYBODY LIKED THE FILM AND THEREFORE HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I propose a drinking game, go to the Superman and General Discussion forums and take a shot every time you see an MOS thread.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By w0nd

@jonny_anonymous said:

New flash douche bags NOT EVERYBODY LIKED THE FILM AND THEREFORE HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT

yeah but why don't they just repost in another thread that already goes on about hating it instead of making 7 of the same page. The same goes for people saying they like it...?

I mean if it offered something new then sure, but when they say they are listing valid reasons and then they least the same opinions 20 other people posted about I don't see the point.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@w0nd: I only made 1 thread and it was on opening weekend

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

yeah but why don't they just repost in another thread that already goes on about hating it instead of making 7 of the same page. The same goes for people saying they like it...?

I mean if it offered something new then sure, but when they say they are listing valid reasons and then they least the same opinions 20 other people posted about I don't see the point.

The same reason different pepole review the same comic instead of all just commenting on the first review

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I don't hate it. I just didn't think it was the best superhero movie I've seen. Might sound weird but there was too many explosions and the style of the movie was too much Zack Snyder for a Superman movie.

I'm talking about the sea of skulls Superman was standing on, bit too much.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By w0nd

@joshmightbe said:

@w0nd: I only made 1 thread and it was on opening weekend

I didn't say you specifically lol I didn't name names. I wasn't calling you out haha

and how come no one posts reviews in the man of steel board?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ssejllenrad

@jonny_anonymous: giving reviews is one thing. Complaining about the damn thing over and over despite being addressed on other threads is another. Like the irritatingly high amounts of threads dedicated to dissing the IM3 twist, or DKR plot holes, or redundancy of ASM, etc. Opinions and reviews are OK to be repeated as long as they are fresh. Otherwise they are pointless. Especially if they are mostly about whining.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssejllenrad

the style of the movie was too much Zack Snyder for a Superman movie.

Good thing Supes and Zod didn't do this in the mind-probe scene! Nyahahahahaha!
Good thing Supes and Zod didn't do this in the mind-probe scene! Nyahahahahaha!

RAC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before MOS my favourite Superhero movie was Avengers. Christopher Reeve superman also killed Zod and he didn't feel anything when he did but no one seems offended by that. Dont understand why there is a problem with destruction in a movie with an alien invasion. It would have been unrealistic for everything to go down and no damage was done to the city. loved the action but I can understand if some argue that superman could have appealed to Zod while they were fighting. Don't think it would have worked though if my whole purpose in life was just lost and the people I blamed were in front of me don't see why I would listen I no longer have anything to lose. I would have found it hard to believe if superman had managed to talk him out of fighting. Just glad this movie was not as boring as Superman Returns. I loved the story line in Superman Returns but it needed a different villain or Lex shoud have has his le suit in the movie.

As to the buildings being destroyed I remember people evacuating the buildings. When people did die most died in the streets running. By the time Zod and superman were fighting they were mostly empty. Some say superman could have lead the fight somewhere else. I say how if it was before when he had a chance of rebuilding Krypton he might have followed Clark if he flew away. But by the time they were going to fight all he cared about was revenge he no longer had a reason to follow Clark in changing the location of the fight, he wanted to cause maximum damage. Lastly I am ok with Clark killing Zod in that setting he had no choice. What was he suppose to do with Zod I could understand the outrage if it was someone he was able to restrain. But it was someone with military training, just as strong and fast who was hell bent on revenge. Zod or the family life is not always a fairy tail ending. Superman made a tough call but one that saved a family and potentially millions. Where would they keep Zod that he would eventually escape and start killing. Look what happened in Superman Elite he captured Atomic Scull he escaped and the first thing he did was start to kill again. Not saying he should have killed Atomic Scull just showing an example. I was ok with him capturing Atomic Scull as he could restrain him safely and killing him after already defeating him would have been cold blooded as we all know he try's to find the last drop of good in someone. But killing Zod in MOS is different Zod was not safely restrained and lives were immediately threatened.

Superman is my favourite hero but before MOS steel if there was a real invasion and I had to pick a hero to defend the earth I would have chosen Marvel's Thor at least I would feel more confident that if it came to it he would make tough decisions based on the situation. Life is not that simple were in a war you can say you will not kill 100% of the time.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars reviews destroy Jake Lloyd life, many of you have to remember he was Anakin Skywalker in Episode 1, many crittics decide tobe mean with him and blame him for all the movie mistakes, people blame Jake Lloyd all his Newsweek and other attack him, they attacked a kid and no one saw there was something wrong with that, they call him Mannequin Skywalker, this cause people blame him in his everyday life even when they should had blame Lucas for all this crap.

Haters detroy a life, he is very damn mad at this point and he is very damn violent about Star Wars, he used to love Star Wars, but thanks to the reviews, he got bullied with Mannequin Skywalker thing, people attack him because the reviewer said he was the guilty one.

He said: 'Other children were really mean to me.

'They would make the sound of the light saber every time they saw me. It was totally mad.'

'My entire school life was really a living hell — and I had to do up to 60 interviews a day.'

Lloyd felt so much anger towards the George Lucas directed film that he destroyed all of his Star Wars memorabilia, and only reprised his role as Anakin for five video games.

The youngster decided to take early retirement from acting as he was no longer able to fit in at school.

He said to a magazine: 'I've learned to hate it when the cameras are pointed at me.'

Jake, whose mother is an entertainment agent, admitted in an interview Scifitv.com that he doesn't like wacthing the film anymore and he blames George for that.

He said: 'When you have something like that there's a lot of expectations for it to meet the standards of the public and I don't think George did that.

'For me to go back and watch it now would be kind of creepy.'

Quick some one post this in Rotten Tomatoes
Quick some one post this in Rotten Tomatoes

All the negative reviews i see about the movie are terribly biased to Marvel and how they make the movies.

Becooling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of steel was good but not great. Superman is a god and makes it his goal too protect the people around him, then how come he lets Zod and his goonies kill millions of people? In the dark knight movies, Batman made it his Job for no one too be killed. Just look at the scene where the SWAT team is coming in and about too kill everyone, Batman makes sure no one gets killed. Superman cause a whole city too be destroyed and kills everyone even the innocent people in the buildings, there not punching bags for Zod and Superman, there where people work and live in. If superman had the power too kill Zod in one fatal snap of the neck, wouldn't he do it in the first place. It would have been a very clever idea too make it where the final battle was in the ship where both of them don't have powers.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Great Post. You are a True Superman Fan. Don't let these Sheep tell you otherwise this movie targeted the lowest common denominator and any sequel will under-perform at the box-office now that 50% of the audience will not come back.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So superman is a god uh i am sorry but if you like superman being a god then to me superman is a hypocrite cause he is just like his enemies if we try to say superman is above us which in ways he is but isnt then arent we proving his enemies right. I mean Brainiac and Darkseid they see themsleves has gods so where outting superman in there place has well. So you want me to think he is a god to save every single one of the humans when he is fighting someone who can move like him. So you want the superman that can save every single person basically acting like Godman not superman. This is the crap i hate if superman where to act in that fashion it makes him no different from brainaic or darkseid who think themsleves already perfect. I like the film it was a flawed film also don't BS MOS is by far the highest rated superman film to audiences meaning for 30 years the audience didnt care for superman intill 2013 which i found surprising.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

lol, just be happy you got a movie that most people enjoyed and not another Green Lantern or Superman Returns...

sage1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of steel was good but not great. Superman is a god and makes it his goal too protect the people around him, then how come he lets Zod and his goonies kill millions of people? In the dark knight movies, Batman made it his Job for no one too be killed. Just look at the scene where the SWAT team is coming in and about too kill everyone, Batman makes sure no one gets killed. Superman cause a whole city too be destroyed and kills everyone even the innocent people in the buildings, there not punching bags for Zod and Superman, there where people work and live in. If superman had the power too kill Zod in one fatal snap of the neck, wouldn't he do it in the first place. It would have been a very clever idea too make it where the final battle was in the ship where both of them don't have powers.

The statements I've outlined just goes to show how ignorant one can be and still try to critique something and since I'm really bored right now I'll try to correct these statements

1. Superman is not a god. He is a Super-MAN. He has all these super-powers but he tries to be human and that is one of the most important part of his mythos. The fact that he doesn't think himself above humans despite all his powers is what make him special to me.

2. He didn't let Zod kill anyone. Nowhere in the film was there a scene where he stood back and allowed Zod kill anybody and that is basically the reason why they where fighting in the first place.

3. Did we watch the same movie? As far as I recall it was Zod doing all the destroying and Superman doing his best to stop him.

4. That's the whole point, he didn't have the power to snap his neck immediately, Zod was as strong as him and was bred to be a warrior from birth and the only advantage Superman had was that he was more experienced with his powers and that advantage disappeared when Zod learned to fly. That chance was the only chance he was probably going to get.

5. No it would not be a clever idea, I would go as far as calling the idea.....lets go with not clever. Nobody wants to see to regular guys fight in a superhero movie we already have enough of that in regular action movies, one of the reasons people or at least I go to a superhero movie is to see a superhero slugfest.

The only thing you got right was that it was not a great movie it had it's flaws like every other superhero movie out there but it was a fantastic start in the trilogy and I'm looking forward to Man of Steel 2.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More arguments from both sides. From what I've seen both sides have Douchebags who insult the other side for having a different opinion. All the times where Superman killed were a result of bad writing.

Death Of Superman(bad writing)

Superman 2(bad writing)

John Bryne scene(bad writing)

I like how the pro-side keeps citing crappy examples to make up for that stupid scene at the end of MOS

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: So no perfect Superman is bad writting? and here i was with the idea of Perfect Superman and BatGod being poor writting, when are perfect examples of great writting.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I never said Superman was perfect, that's just something you came up with in your own mind. Superman hasn't been perfect since the silver age. I was just stating that all the examples people cite suck and most aren't even canon anymore.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

Threads like this make me miss the Iron Man 3 hate threads.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@the_stegman said:

At least that really was crap, as both a movie and a comic film.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I still haven't seen Iron Man 3. Wish I knew why people thought it was bad.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

@lvenger: Is it still in theaters around you? I say watch it and see for yourself.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

People are mostly mad because of The Mandarin being a decoy. The movie was pretty good besides that.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@lvenger said:

@the_stegman said:

The armours were useless, it was painfully unfunny. There were enough plot holes to fill a Bendis comic. The villain was barely a villain, he was arguably less selfish than Stark has been. Just a completely terrible movie. Literally nothing good about it. And the after credits scene was completely freaking ridiculous, to the point that it both mocked the movie and presented an enormous plot hole. Also, PEPPER POTTS. PEPPER EVERYWHERE. PEPPER POTTS 3; THE MOVIE.

My dad, who loves Iron Man and whose favourite film is Avengers, hated it. It wasn't just me. Total garbage.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

At least that really was crap, as both a movie and a comic film.

You liked MoS?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:

@the_stegman said:

The armours were useless, it was painfully unfunny. There were enough plot holes to fill a Bendis comic. The villain was barely a villain, he was arguably less selfish than Stark has been. Just a completely terrible movie. Literally nothing good about it. And the after credits scene was completely freaking ridiculous, to the point that it both mocked the movie and presented an enormous plot hole. Also, PEPPER POTTS. PEPPER EVERYWHERE. PEPPER POTTS 3; THE MOVIE.

My dad, who loves Iron Man and whose favourite film is Avengers, hated it. It wasn't just me. Total garbage.

I see. Good thing I'll probably just hire it on DVD to see what all the fuss is about. Although from the sounds of it, this doesn't add anything to the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is a disappointment.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@the_stegman said:

Loading Video...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehh both IM3 and MOS largely failed to meet expectations in their own ways.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08: To me, MoS let me down slightly, but IM3 let me down greatly.

d0npierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you wanna see a perfect movie go watch Fight club and shut up...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

I respect your opinion, but both largely failed to meet expectations for me. I don't think either is really better than the other.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: He wasnt perfect in the Silver Age.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Comic books canon have to be the biggest joke ever, onea day Jason has red hair and the next s black with white and the next one he is just black.

Also its a movie, is not going to follow the canon, this is not Marvel.

That why the nerds always fail, their insane vision of how things should be.

I see movies without any expectation, after all that is the best way to enjoy life.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@the_stegman said:

That made me lol

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Eternal19

@eternal19: He wasnt perfect in the Silver Age.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Comic books canon have to be the biggest joke ever, onea day Jason has red hair and the next s black with white and the next one he is just black.

Also its a movie, is not going to follow the canon, this is not Marvel.

@wolverine08 said:

That why the nerds always fail, their insane vision of how things should be.

I see movies without any expectation, after all that is the best way to enjoy life.

out of context scans don't prove anything. I could show scans that show batman in the bed with robin, but that doesn't mean that batman was gay. Its common knowledge that supes was shown as an unbeatable perfect god in the silver age.

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so, it's a big thing he kills zod in man of steel, but it's ok that he does the same thing in the books and superman 2?

No Caption Provided

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mos was a damn near perfect superman movie. at least in my opinion. they did ruin lois but she eventually learns who clark is any way no point spending 3 movies to get there. i wish there was more clark kent with the nerd glasses but him putting them on at the end was sweet. other than that superman was the hero he should have been