#1 Posted by MuyJingo (1650 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonians were supposedly one of the most advanced civilizations before the planets demise.

They have been showing to be very advanced scientifically and having had the capability of space flight for some time.

How is it they had not come across a yellow sun before and replicated the effects?

Humans can reproduce the effects of a red sun, so I'm sure Krypton scientists could have reproduced the effects of a yellow sun...

Theories?

#2 Posted by Clark_EL (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: They know about yellow suns and the powers they can get from them, but I believe it is possible they just wanted to stay on Krypton or they did not want powers. What is the point of a civilization with powers and one without powers, they are still the same.

#3 Edited by Teerack (5841 posts) - - Show Bio

They couldn't get off their Planet. It was so big that the gravity of it made it hard to launch stuff and it had really dangerous solar winds. Jor-El and his brother were the only ones to build crafts capable of of escaping the planet which is how Superman and Supergirl are here. Hel was in a prototy[e ship, but he never went back to Kyrpton so they wouldn't know if it worked or not.

#4 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it strange how there's only a few Kryptonians alive which means seeing one is extremely rare, yet when these aliens see Clark they are never ever surprised with how strong he is. I'm just saying if they have no knowledge of how Kryptonians get power (which as far as I know they don't) from the yellow sun shouldn't they be shitting bricks when they see how strong he truly is when they expect him to be a lot weaker, like normal human strength?

#5 Posted by w0nd (3278 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it strange how there's only a few Kryptonians alive which means seeing one is extremely rare, yet when these aliens see Clark they are never ever surprised with how strong he is. I'm just saying if they have no knowledge of how Kryptonians get power (which as far as I know they don't) from the yellow sun shouldn't they be shitting bricks when they see how strong he truly is when they expect him to be a lot weaker, like normal human strength?

I liked in young justice when Mongul shows up, he says something like "you think kryptonians are the only ones who absorb yellow sun radiation" and nothing more, leaves just enough info for the viewer to assume more than one race can

....daxamites another example

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about all the aliens that Superman beats or helps, that he doesn't kill or imprison on Earth. Think about the alien invasions he's turned away. They have to go somewhere. They have to tell somebody what happened to them. And those people tell other people.

Chances are, by now, even in the New 52, if you're an alien who ends up on Earth, you probably know what Superman is capable of and on what side of him you want to be on.

#7 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The explanations for superman's powers were changed over the years. Initially, all the kryptonians were evolved with capabilities like super insects and had powers even on krypton. The yellow sun explanation was added later so it probably has more loopholes. With the super insects origin, it is understandable that they won't survive the explosion of the planet. With the increase in Superman's powers making him possibly able to survive the explosion of a planet, the people on krypton were no longer allowed to have super powers and some excuse was also invented why the kryptonians did not do much space travel in order to reduce the number of kryptonian survivors. I think it is much simpler to just let the kryptonians survive and get rid of the explosion of the planet.

#8 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure in one of the origins it explained that the Kryptonians were once a large Space empire that eventually erupted into Civil War. Once returning to Krypton, all space flight was banned hence why no ships were ever seen evacuating Krypton at the time of it's death.

#9 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5383 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by w0nd (409 posts) - 13 hours, 54 minutes ago - Show Bio

@tacos_kickass said:

I liked in young justice when Mongul shows up, he says something like "you think kryptonians are the only ones who absorb yellow sun radiation" and nothing more, leaves just enough info for the viewer to assume more than one race can

....daxamites another example

Or when H'elspont said Supes wasn't the first Kryptonian he'd killed. How can their powers be legendary and only two survived ?

#10 Posted by MuyJingo (1650 posts) - - Show Bio

@clark_el said:

@muyjingo: They know about yellow suns and the powers they can get from them, but I believe it is possible they just wanted to stay on Krypton or they did not want powers. What is the point of a civilization with powers and one without powers, they are still the same.

They have a military. At the least they would have used it to enhance their soldiers. At the least.

#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:

@clark_el said:

They have a military. At the least they would have used it to enhance their soldiers. At the least.

I think it's about a power-check. Give the power to a few then you'll have an elitist class that would be uncontrollable. Give the power to many and they risk destroying their homeworld when they happen to have a war. As for external threats, I think they pretty much relied on their own tech as opposed to superhuman powers.