Why are people complaining about Man of Steel?

• 70 results
Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I read articles from supposed Superman fans who complain about really dumb minor things for the next superman movie and its getting really annoying. Here are all the complaints that I've heard over the last couple months

1. They changed Superman's costume

1st of all All the people complaining about superman's costume must have not been reading comics for the last year. 2nd of all do all these people really think that this movie is going to appeal to a wide audience if supes is flying around in a baby blue outfit with a red speedo over it People need to realize that its not 1980 anymore and its not like they radically changed his suit, its not like he is wearing all black His costume still looks like a superman costume just modernized for this generation

2. There is no Kryptonite

People need to realize that Kryptonite isnt crucial to make a good superman story where superman is actually in danger. when Actually some of the best Superman stories are the ones that didnt revolve the entire plot around it anyway( All-star Superman, Superman: Braniac, Superman:For Tommorow etc.). And also, why would there need to be Kryptonite when the villian is GENERAL ZOD for Christs sake!

3. An Englishmen playing Superman

This is the last and by far the most annoying complaint that I've heard recentlY. People really need to get over this because this is a really dumb reason to dislike Man of Steel and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it.

So, how do you, my fellow viners feel about all the complaints?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats all bull! imo it shaping up to be great! awaiting the new trailer...ur points are spot on,which makes these complaints appear even more stupid.

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicbook fans are predisposed to complaining. Its in the DNA or something.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read articles from supposed Superman fans who complain about really dumb minor things for the next superman movie and its getting really annoying. Here are all the complaints that I've heard over the last couple months

1st of all All the people complaining about superman's costume must have not been reading comics for the last year. 2nd of all do all these people really think that this movie is going to appeal to a wide audience if supes is flying around in a baby blue outfit with a red speedo over it People need to realize that its not 1980 anymore and its not like they radically changed his suit, its not like he is wearing all black His costume still looks like a superman costume just modernized for this generation

People need to realize that Kryptonite isnt crucial to make a good superman story where superman is actually in danger. when Actually some of the best Superman stories are the ones that didnt revolve the entire plot around it anyway( All-star Superman, Superman: Braniac, Superman:For Tommorow etc.). And also, why would there need to be Kryptonite when the villian is GENERAL ZOD for Christs sake!

This is the last and by far the most annoying complaint that I've heard recentlY. People really need to get over this because this is a really dumb reason to dislike Man of Steel and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it.

Hahaha...modernized for this generation...

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On point Number 2: While I agree that kryptonite doesn't NEED to be in the film, how awesome would it be for Superman, figuring out that he can't take Zod in a straight up brawl after fighting with him, doing something similar to that red son trick in Superman 2, only this time, with a radiation suit and a piece of Kryptonite (and breaking BOTH his wrists). TELL ME that wouldn't be awesome!

For point Number 3: I don't mind as long as his accent doesn't give away that he's so obviously British like a lot of those Power Rangers episodes filmed in New Zealand and as long as he doesn't speak like Christian Bale Batman. I mean, yeah, I can SORTA, KINDA, A LITTLE BIT understand the logic for him speaking in such a voice in the movie, but darn it, there's a REASON that's Christian Bale's Batman voice is now a meme!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I like to actually watch a movie before criticizing or praising it.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta complain about something, how else do you pass the time?

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mpierce2690

I don't think anyone really cares about the second or third points, but the suit just looks genuinely awful because it looks like a cross between Thor and Aquaman. The texture makes it look like shit and the colors are just too dark. It just doesn't look good period, regardless of who the hero is. Maybe it will look better in action, but I seriously doubt it.

Personally, these are the reasons why I'm really disappointed so far:

• Jonathan Kent suggesting Clark should have let some kids die? WTF. This one line alone is enough to make me already kind of hate it.
  • What is with this shit about them being engineered? That's just moronic.
  • How does Zod have this huge army, complete with ships and robots? Could you take a bigger departure from the comics? This is just ridiculous.
  • Lois doesn't feel a connection to Metropolis? She is a staple of Metropolis in every meaning of the word. She's as iconic to Metropolis as Superman is.
  • Yet another "I'm an alien, blah blah blah" storyline? What makes Superman a hero is his human side. It's his values in Smallville that make him want to use his powers for good and save the world. Making him an outcast is a waste of a brilliant storyline. He didn't even know he was an alien until he was a teenager. He doesn't feel like one, he feels like a human, he just happens to not be one. Don't shit on that.

All that said, I'll be first in line for the midnight showing. But they've really made everything look like shit so far. I really, really, REALLY hope to be surprised.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deaditegonzo

@hewhosees: You know the problem with the Kryptonite plan? It doesnt show him facing impossible odds and overcoming them, like facing two enemies on his level, and having to beat them. Basically, Kryptonite is a Deus Ex Machina and a abused plot device, and if Supes does it to Zod and his crew, its just a reverse of the normal cop out.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks freaking FANTASTIC. But then again I don't know much about the character so I don't know if they're doing some things wrong.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MuyJingo

The lack of Kryptonite doesn't bother me, although I think it's odd not to mention it at all since this seems to be a type of origin story.

Nationality of the actor is irrelevant.

I dislike the costume...too much blue. Why not go with the New 52 version with a red belt? I think the blue should be brighter as well.

I'm skeptical of a gritty trying-to-be-realistic nolanized Superman, but can't judge it until I see it.

Not sure what I think of Black Perry White and potentially female Jimmy Olsen.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Seems to be the truth =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What bothers me most is the suit:

1. It has a weird texture.

2. It looks like rubber.

3. An that´s just my own opinion: Superman does not need a colorful suit and a cape.

4. Eternal19: Sorry, for the third point :-)

For me, superheroes in tight, colorful suits with fluttering cloaks are out of fashion. The focus should be on the hero himself and his personality, not his outfit (unless the suit has a function). I have read that in Man of Steel the suit will have a function. But that does not change the weird and colorful look.

And another thing:

Superman came to Earth as a baby. He was adopted by a couple and grew up as a normal human (earthling). That means he knows only what there is on Earth: fashion, technology, etc. For him such a colorful suit would be embarrassing and ridiculous. If he had grown up on Krypton, then he would know the clothes of his home planet. But as earthling? Imagine you had super powers. Would you wear this suit? I think, this is a logic error.

hellmouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the movie costume, it does look like it is made of recycled plastic.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The only thing I have to complain about Man of Steel is that Jimmy Olson might be female. That's all. These other concerns aren't nearly as problematic as people seem to think they are.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: You know the problem with the Kryptonite plan? It doesnt show him facing impossible odds and overcoming them, like facing two enemies on his level, and having to beat them. Basically, Kryptonite is a Deus Ex Machina and a abused plot device, and if Supes does it to Zod and his crew, its just a reverse of the normal cop out.

Ummm...yes it does...

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

So far I don't have any complains about the movie.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stronger

Why the heck did they pick General Zod out of all Superman god damn villains??????

Just pick Luthor or Doomsday or Brainiac or Metallo.....

Da fuq with the DC writers........

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not even out yet, damn

those guys/girls ought to get fat

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

My only real complaint is that its possible that Superman had his powers from birth - and that isn't even confirmed. I would prefer the costume to be brighter but it doesn't really matter.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate said:

Yep

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have no complaints, so far. I will be disappointed if he's born with his powers, but that's all.

I was surprised by Jon Kent's line in the trailer, but I understand the motivation behind it, even for the classic character. He's worried about his son above all else. I think anyone that's worried about that one line in particular will be pleased with the outcome.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

• Jonathan Kent suggesting Clark should have let some kids die? WTF. This one line alone is enough to make me already kind of hate it.

So totally agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

So totally agree.

Me too.

MikeHezekiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MuyJingo
No Caption Provided

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate origin stories so hopefully this doesn't have much of that.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

I don't think anyone really cares about the second or third points, but the suit just looks genuinely awful because it looks like a cross between Thor and Aquaman. The texture makes it look like shit and the colors are just too dark. It just doesn't look good period, regardless of who the hero is. Maybe it will look better in action, but I seriously doubt it.

• How does Zod have this huge army, complete with ships and robots? Could you take a bigger departure from the comics? This is just ridiculous.
  • Lois doesn't feel a connection to Metropolis? She is a staple of Metropolis in every meaning of the word. She's as iconic to Metropolis as Superman is.
  • Yet another "I'm an alien, blah blah blah" storyline? What makes Superman a hero is his human side. It's his values in Smallville that make him want to use his powers for good and save the world. Making him an outcast is a waste of a brilliant storyline. He didn't even know he was an alien until he was a teenager. He doesn't feel like one, he feels like a human, he just happens to not be one. Don't shit on that.

All that said, I'll be first in line for the midnight showing. But they've really made everything look like shit so far. I really, really, REALLY hope to be surprised.

I think this is what the guy who made this blog means

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flazam said:

@mpierce2690 said:

I think this is what the guy who made this blog means

He said "Here are all the complaints that I've heard over the last couple months" and went on to bring up the suit, the kryptonite, and the fact Henry Cavill is english. I don't think that what I said is what he meant.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it believable that Jonathan Kent is dumb enough to have doubts about right and wrong. I am more wary of people who believe in absolute certainty about right and wrong. Bec. of the advances in biotech, it is now quite believable that scientists can create super powers aside from new species. Zod is a general so it is believable that Zod would lead an army. Since Clark does find out he is an alien, he could feel alone aside from feeling different bec. of the dangerous powers.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My feeling too.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

QFT

MirrorWave4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'll admit that, Superman's suit would be a lot more appealing if it was New 52 design

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ssejllenrad

Fans of any earlier source material are predisposed to complaining. Its in the DNA or something.

Fixed!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The primary reason is that we are comic fans and we love to bitch about things.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank God if there's no Kryptonite, this little vid says it best :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rp2f2OcCpQ . Besides it being used constantly, it seems like there's more Kryptonite on Earth then MacDonald's makes hamburgers. Who doesn't have a chunk of a planet a million billion light years away?

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk didn't even know people were complaining. That's kind of dumb to be complaining about Superman being English. Hulk thought the movie was highly hyped.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Deranged Midget

The way I see it mate, if you are excited and you know you'll enjoy the film, it should matter not what others think. See it for yourself and no one else.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they have nothing better to do

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that anyone complaining at the moment will shut up when they see the movie. The creators of Man of Steel are definitely hiding a lot of things....

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Suprman

First I don't judge until I see the film because I have to see the movie in it's entirety before judging it.

Second, based on what I've seen and read so far the only thing I'm concerned about is that Kal-El had powers before coming to earth. It's a definitive part of the mythology and shouldn't change imo. The rest of it I can deal with depending on how it's presented in the movie. As to the costume, make it brighter.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By w0nd

Because you can't please everyone, simple as that. Plus the internet is filled with people who think they can do a better job.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

For those complaining about the Jonathan Kent line, wait until the movie comes out because for all you guys know it was taken out of context for the trailer to make it seem more dramatic.

fartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Jonathan Kent line was really emotional and believable. I mean Pa and Ma Kent never had a child of themselves until they found Clark. If people found out that your kid is superhuman and could possibly be a threat, people would want your kid to be locked down, hidden somewhere. Pa Kent cant afford to lose his son, so even at the cost of anyone's life he'd be willing to sacrifice for Clark's sake.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't agree more with you it's really annoying me to. Also it saddens me that people are complaing that Henry cavil should not play Superman soully because he is English it's just plain stupid.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People complain cause they just love to moan

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I've got one for ya, I showed my friend the newest trailer and he thinks that Cavill actually doesn't look like Superman! I felt like slapping him but I stayed my hand

Skulexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those complaining about the Jonathan Kent line, wait until the movie comes out because for all you guys know it was taken out of context for the trailer to make it seem more dramatic.

This. They do that in SO many movie trailers.