• 49 results
#1 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, we all know Lex is Superman's greatest villian( at least most people feel that way). But who do you think is Superman's second best villian?

I think its Braniac. And I think most of the people who read Superman:Braniac would agree with me

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I can agree with Brainiac. Truth be told, the only other Superman villain in the same caliber I can think of would be Zod. Others like Parasite, Metallo, or Doomsday are more brawlers than nemeses.

#3 Edited by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac, I guess Doomsday deserves a mention too.

#4 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex?

Darkseid is Superman's greatest villain (though out of the regular terrestrial villains he's gotta fight, Luthor is the greatest).

#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg Superman was his chief nemesis in the 90's.

Mongul in the 80's.

Brainiac is conceptually cool but he's incredibly bland and dull,especially the Johns version mentioned in the OP.

#6 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Zod and Brainiac are definitely the second best story-type villains.

#7 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac.

#8 Posted by Perethorn (3569 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor

#9 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Brainiac is conceptually cool but he's incredibly bland and dull,especially the Johns version mentioned in the OP.

Not to mention that Brainiac is constantly revamped and is still most defined by his Animated appearance.

Darkseid is a New Gods and DC villain, more so than a Superman one.

I'll go Doomsday because he's never jobbed, is always relevant (due to his first story) and has the greatest feat (of killing Superman).

#10 Edited by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Not to mention that Brainiac is constantly revamped and is still most defined by his Animated appearance.

I'll go Doomsday because he's never jobbed, is always relevant (due to his first story) and has the greatest feat (of killing Superman).

PROVE to me that Darkseid is more a New Gods and DC villains.

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (15085 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Doomsday or Brainiac.

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

PROVE to me that Darkseid is more a New Gods and DC villains.

Yes, because that's why I come on Comicvine, to prove things to you.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, it's definitely Brainiac. One of the few other noteworthy Superman villains who deserves to be in the Man of Steel sequel. There'd be no shame in taking a leaf from the Animated series' book in making him a Kryptonian AI to make his connection to Superman more tangible.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17856 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex?

Darkseid is Superman's greatest villain (though out of the regular terrestrial villains he's gotta fight, Luthor is the greatest).

Darkseid isn't primarily a Superman villain nor did he start out as one.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

I agree, it's definitely Brainiac. One of the few other noteworthy Superman villains who deserves to be in the Man of Steel sequel. There'd be no shame in taking a leaf from the Animated series' book in making him a Kryptonian AI to make his connection to Superman more tangible.

No shame? This is what they should have done years ago in the comics lol Just change him to a Coluan/Kryptonian hybrid AI and that way you're preserving his heritage while bringing together his original and best incarnations.

#16 Edited by BlackWind (7062 posts) - - Show Bio

Prove Darkseid is a Superman villain? What nonsense is this Jack Kirby created Darkseid to be Orion's big bad and the biggest evil for the New Gods mythos. When written properly, Superman is no threat to Darkseid. At all.

#17 Edited by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

No shame? This is what they should have done years ago in the comics lol Just change him to a Coluan/Kryptonian hybrid AI and that way you're preserving his heritage while bringing together his original and best incarnations.

That would have been an interesting mix. I don't need to ask whether you think this is what should have been done to Brainiac instead of what Johns did? :P

#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@lvenger said:

That would have been an interesting mix. I don't need to ask whether you think this is what should have been done to Brainiac instead of what Johns did? :P

I haven't read Johns' story so I don't want to say one way or the other, but when I saw the initial solicits, I actually thought he was bringing him back to his DCAU style. I was disappointed to discover he hadn't done that.

#19 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (677 posts) - - Show Bio

When he was after Superman, lobo.

#20 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac!

#21 Edited by Deranged Midget (17856 posts) - - Show Bio

Prove Darkseid is a Superman villain? What nonsense is this Jack Kirby created Darkseid to be Orion's big bad and the biggest evil for the New Gods mythos. When written properly, Superman is no threat to Darkseid. At all.

And there you go! Personally, I'm not a fan of seeing Darkseid considering as a Superman villain, let alone as his "greatest" or even on the top five greatest Superman villains. He was never meant to be a Superman threat.

#22 Posted by Teerack (7372 posts) - - Show Bio

I rank it like this

1. Lex Luthor
  2. Brainiac
  3. Darkseid
#23 Posted by RDClip (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Doomsday.

He is pure unstoppable destruction incarnate. He is a mindless brute, so he cannot be bargained or reasoned with. He has not other desire than to destroy (Kryptonians, in particular). And he can never be stopped permanently, whenever he is put down he comes back stronger and more brutal than before.

I like Doomsday because he could be used to show Superman's vulenerability moreso than any villain. I would really like to see a writer use Doomsday to show fear in Superman, an emotion the Man of Steel never shows.

#24 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know..Lex Luthor is more like a supporting character now a days.I'd like Brainiac to be his primary villain. In TAS. Dakkseid was his primary villain and Brainiac his secondary villain.

#25 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2414 posts) - - Show Bio

Top 5 Superman villains in my opinion

1. Lex Luthor
  2. Brainiac
  3. Zod
  4. Doomsday
  5. Darkseid (I know a lot dont agree that hes primarily a Superman villain, but I wanted to put him on the list anyways)
#26 Edited by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget:

@blackwind said:

And there you go! Personally, I'm not a fan of seeing Darkseid considering as a Superman villain, let alone as his "greatest" or even on the top five greatest Superman villains. He was never meant to be a Superman threat.

I agree with this, I like Superman, I like Darkseid, but they should not be thought of as archenemies. That's what Mongul is for, and his personality is more counter to Superman than Darkseid's is anyway.

I would say Brainiac, but eh, I don't really like any modern Brainiac stories, he was cool on the Superman TAS and Justice League, but he's just not all that prevalent, in the Silver age sure.

#27 Edited by Black_Claw (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac. While Superman is an alien, he is viewed as a messiah like figure (super Jesus). Brainiac is the complete opposite and is a true conquerer of worlds. He's a good foil for supes.

#28 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

Lex?

Darkseid isn't primarily a Superman villain nor did he start out as one.

Then how come he's shown up in more Superman related comics than any other Justice League member, how come the New Gods are closer to Superman (or were before the reboot) than any other Justice League member in the original Fourth World (I own and have read all seven volumes), how come Superman was the one to finish him in Final Crises, how come he was a major villain in Superman the Animated series, Smallville, and Superman/Batman and Superman: Our Worlds at War, and how come, out of the rest of the League, he has the best spread against Darkseid?

Face it you deranged midget (hehehe), he may not have STARTED as a Superman villain (just like Thanos didn't start as a Silver Surfer villain), but there's no denying that he's certainly been retooled and repurposed as a Superman villain in the comics and in adaptations (helped by their relatively close connection in Kirby's original Fourth World than any other of DC's heavy hitters, unless you count Jimmy Olsen or The Newsboy Legion as heavy hitters).

This by no means means that I think they should be "arch-rivals" like Batman's relationship with the Joker, but, rather, more like the relationship Bane has with the Bat. A larger than life threat who can challenge the Man of Steel both on a emotional/mental AND physical level all by himself (at least before jobbing takes place), whereas Luthor and The Joker are really only good for the emotional/mental stuff by themselves and with lots of planning.

#29 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex?

Im going to have to agree with this. Except for the last part, because frankly, Lex is more likely (and makes more sense) supporting the big threat than being the big threat himself. Id also put Doomsday over Lex.

#30 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac

Darkseid is not a superman villain

#31 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

You mean like Deathstroke isn't a Batman villain?

#32 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Brainiac, I guess Doomsday deserves a mention too.

No, Doomsday doesn't. After Lex and Brainiac, other fiends more establishedly, historically, more cunningly, all-around greater:

- Toyman

- Mister Mxyzptlk

- Prankster

- Bizarro Superman No.1

- Parasite

- Metallo (personally, I prefer his Bronze-Copper, late 00s appearance / costume (the one retained in Superman Family Adventures, although I find its art beneath my attention, over his John Byrne Terminator-like look)

- General Zod (reluctant "I guess")

Then, maybe, Doomsday, still known, and mostly only known, as "Death of Superman".

#33 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

No, Brainiac is mostly defined in "his" humanoid Silver-Bronze age appearance, perhaps popularly seen in television screens, notably in "New Adventures of Superman" in the sixties, "Challenge of the Superfriends" in the seventies, and "Super Powers Show" in the mid eighties, in intro only, due to in the show itself, it had used its more robotic Copper Age appearance.

#34 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Braniac

#35 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

Uuuh... yeah. Deathstroke isnt a batman villain at all

#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

Yeah Deathstroke isn't a Batman villain.

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Pretty much,Brainiac needs a reboot every 3 years to stay relevant(same goes for Zod).The DCAU version was by far the best,Johns Brainiac had such a dull visual,ill defined power set and the same story(OMG he took Kandor).Frank Miller did that better in DKSA.

#37 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

@ngroove:

Yeah, thats your opinion, I think he does.

#38 Posted by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

the writers and editors for superman

#39 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Pretty much,Brainiac needs a reboot every 3 years to stay relevant(same goes for Zod).The DCAU version was by far the best,Johns Brainiac had such a dull visual,ill defined power set and the same story(OMG he took Kandor).Frank Miller did that better in DKSA.

Yeah...but the problem with the Dark Knight Strikes Again is that it sucked monkey tits.

#40 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees: TDKSA was ambitious at the very least,a failure maybe but a spectacular one.Johns Brainiac story was a snoozefest,completely hollow and uninspired,from Brainiacs looks(just look at the OP's avatar,he's a green skinned Lex Luthor with holes) all the way up to the story it was just dull.

#41 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@hewhosees said:

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Yeah...but the problem with the Dark Knight Strikes Again is that it sucked monkey tits.

Again, this is the Brainiac most people thinks of as "Brainiac":

#43 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

Going with Brainiac as well.

#44 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Most versions of Braniac arent all that different from the others. I agree the DCAU version was great, but I dont agree that Superman:Braniac was a bad story.Johns Braniac did look like Lex Luthor but it Isnt that different from other versions of Braniac who look pretty similar. DKSA was terrible, the art,writing, pacing, everything was horrible and batman was barely in it.

#45 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@hewhosees said:

@stormbox said:

Brainiac

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Mongul in the 80's.

Most versions of Braniac arent all that different from the others. I agree the DCAU version was great, but I dont agree that Superman:Braniac was a bad story.Johns Braniac did look like Lex Luthor but it Isnt that different from other versions of Braniac who look pretty similar. DKSA was terrible, the art,writing, pacing, everything was horrible and batman was barely in it.

This might be an upopular opinion but I think Burtons version of Brainiac was actually the coolest(from the failed Superman movie back in the 90's).Morrison kinda borrowed from that in his collector arc.

The Brainiac story was dull IMO,it was very thin on plot and I did'nt like Brainiac's looks or his ill defined power set.

#46 Posted by tensor (4954 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday an dakseid

#47 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor is #1 and Brainiac is easily #2.

#48 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Braniac

#49 Edited by nappystr8 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Braniac.

#50 Posted by sinestro_GL (3287 posts) - - Show Bio

Tie between Brainiac and Darkseid