#1 Edited by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms as dcs flag ship character? amd polularity

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio

It kind of seems like Batman is already the flagship.

#3 Posted by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by sinestro_GL (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is the obvious choice.

In terms of the icon-factor, after these two, Wonder Woman is next in line.

#5 Edited by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

No one.

#6 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Look iron man might make more money than Spider-Man,hulk,or captain America,but he isn't the flagship,just like batman might make more money at the movies and in comics(that is questionable though),but superman will always be the flagship.

You could say Shazam or superboy,but neither character has that special quality superman has,he is a one of a kind character,bigger than comics,bigger than movies,he is transcendent.

#7 Posted by Teerack (7461 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman basically stole the role Shazam was meant for.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24768 posts) - - Show Bio

No one can replace Superman in Icon status, Seriously his symbol is the second most recognizable symbol on Earth behind the Christian cross, basically the only person or thing more Iconic than Superman is Jesus. What other comic character can compete with that?

#9 Edited by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is really the only comic character who could replace Superman as an icon.

#10 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: no he could,and has replaced him only in the cool category,that's it.

#11 Posted by consolemaster001 (6131 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#12 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5331 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is more popular than Superman an has been for a long time.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24768 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by waezi2 (8492 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Supergirl? She could change her name to Superwoman.

#15 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Steel.

#16 Posted by waezi2 (8492 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

@mysterioususername: that would make things alot more interesting considering marvel has ironman

#18 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys i love Steel too,but as "the" superman it wouldnt work.

shazam might have the raw power,but would be useless in detective or rescue stuff.

supergirl would just punch everyone and everything first,so thats a no.

Martian manhunter is to alien,in more than one way.

if cyborg could fly,and consistently did it,he wouldnt be a bad choice

superboy would be a good choice if he gave a shit about being a hero,which he doesnt.

#19 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman already makes more money for DC, so see him as the logical choice.

#20 Edited by Punisher141 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Kon-el (Superboy)

#21 Posted by Durakken (1591 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on what model dynamic you are looking for. In the Trinity Dynamic which is Superman (Hope), Batman (Justice), Wonder Woman (Truth) then you need someone that also has that "Hope" attribute. Who that would be I don't know. I don't think there is another Hope character out there... maybe Tim Drake in the sense that he represents Humanism and as such represents a form of hope. Booster Gold could be rewritten to make him represent hope, but it would be a betrayal of his character. The only character that represents hope really is Stephanie Brown that I can think of, but that doesn't work for Superman simply due to not being out in the open. So I dunno...

As far as in the Ultimate Marvel dynamic where you have a young Spider-man as the flagship... That's easy. Barbara Gordon from her early years.

#22 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

My go to answer is Superboy for pretty much every answer,and he could work here,if he wanted it.he has a good heart,he knows right from wrong,he has the power,and lineage,but he doesn't want anything to do with being a hero or inspiring others,until he does,he can not be superman.

#23 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one person can (and has) replaced Superman. The Mighty Hopeman aka the hero of Man of Steel.

#24 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

superman as a concept and persona no one but clark kent he can be replaced i think in some years and if it was maybe forced upon him conner could make a good superman

#25 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssbm: I like the idea of him being forced to be superman,that could create a lot of great stories for kon,in the suit,and out of the suit.

#26 Edited by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr Majestic but he kinda doesn't give a shit. hmmm I geuss Kon-El Superboy but Martian Manhunter could work Shazam also.

#27 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: How Superman was not only created before but the creator's of Shazam based Shazam off of Superman. I love Shazam though.

#28 Edited by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr majestic is a warrior,and doesn't have the same moral code superman has

Martian Manhunter is way to sterile,and alien to have the job

Shazam is a boy in a gods body,he is wish fulfillment comics at their best,but not as the hero among heroes

Kon-el is the closest thing so far anybody has mentioned,and even he wouldn't work,because superman always cares,that's why he is always there for everybody,kon doesn't care,atleast not big pictures,and also not always,more only when the situation is right in front of his face.

#29 Posted by Durakken (1591 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the thing is, you can throw out the "Hope" dynamic, but it is only possible if you want to shift the overall feel of the world. Shazam would be ok as a replacement, but he doesn't represent the same thing and when you put him up with Truth and Justice it clashes so you'd have to kill the entire trinity.

What you could do is toss Batman and Wonder Woman as well and create a new trinity with a new world feel. Shazam + Supergirl + Tim Drake which would give you Wish Fulfillment + Innocence + Reason. You could do Martian Manhunter + Cyborg + Oracle and that would give you a more displaced type vibe. Another interesting trinity if any of them yet not well known, Misfit + Black Alice + Kon-El.

Though I think most people view the future trinity as Kon-El + Tim Drake + Cassandra Sandsmark... And they would together create trinity that is similar to the current paradigm.

#30 Edited by Teerack (7461 posts) - - Show Bio
@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@teerack: How Superman was not only created before but the creator's of Shazam based Shazam off of Superman. I love Shazam though.

I meant in terms of inside the DC Universe. The role Black Atom had in the past was basically what Superman is now before he went crazy with powers. Billy was meant to become earth's greatest champion.

#31 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Did you mean Black Adam. Superman never took the role the creator's of Shazam just copy pasted what Superman was onto Shazam. but when DC acquired him he was reduced to one of Earth's mightiest champion's while Superman was Earth's champion and always will be. it's never changed Superman has always been #1. Billy used to be Earth's mightiest champion when he wasn't at DC. Superman has always been the DC Earth mightiest champion.

#32 Posted by Teerack (7461 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Did you mean Black Adam. Superman never took the role the creator's of Shazam just copy pasted what Superman was onto Shazam. but when DC acquired him he was reduced to one of Earth's mightiest champion's while Superman was Earth's champion and always will be. it's never changed Superman has always been #1. Billy used to be Earth's mightiest champion when he wasn't at DC. Superman has always been the DC Earth mightiest champion.

I did mean Black Adam... and again I'm talking about within the DC Universe... not about the real world...

#33 Posted by Justthatkid (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: @theincrediblesuperhulk8642: @sinestro_gl: Most people might not know who Shazam is and Wonder Woman is in the trinity but sadly people would probably want Batman and the Grayson. Not saying I would because I wouldn't but it would go that way.

#34 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken: see kon is the closest thing,or will be closest thing right now,I'm sure if I thought about it for more than the second I give to thinking I could think of someone else,but kon,in time,will be the perfect replacement,as it should be.

@teerack: billy is the worlds mightiest mortal,and he is,but is Martian Manhunter and Superman mortal,by human standards?

#35 Posted by Teerack (7461 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: I was purely speaking in terms of in the DC Universe.... It doesn't really have anything to do with character popularity or anything like that. I'm talking about if there was no Superman in the DC Universe I could see Shazam having the role Superman has because of his intended role as guardian of earth. As in if we went back in time and there was never Superman I could see Shazam always having his place as the center stage hero in the Justice League and stuff.... not to say Wonder Woman probably doesn't deserve it most, but I doubt DC wanting to put a woman as their lead.

@stephens2177: idk....probably not?

In terms of popularity I would guess Wonder Woman would take the lead and maybe Aquaman could join the trinity.

#36 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Shazam is a good choice until you factor in that he is a kid underneath that god power.sure billy gets wisdom,but he is still a impulsive kid,look how Geoff wrote him.

#37 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: I am talking about the DC U man.

#38 Posted by Justthatkid (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Oh. pass, Mon-El as earth's protector great stroyline how can people trust him if he is like Superman :)

#39 Posted by Teerack (7461 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: You were talking about how the real world has affected the characters in the DC Universe. I was talking about what would make sense for the fictional characters inside the DC Universe from the perspective of the characters. As in if Superman wasn't around the role Shazam would have played in their world.

#40 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: no I was talking about the DCU and how Superman is number 1 in the DCU and if he wasn't around it would probably be Shazam or Martian Manhunter or maybe even Wonder Woman.

#41 Posted by Teerack (7461 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Well looking at your post I don't think you were saying that, but if you were then you'd be agreeing with me...

#42 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: maybe you just didn't understand the point I was trying to get across.

#43 Posted by stephens2177 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I think the DCU NEEDS superman,without him,there would be more secretive vigilante types,and maybe even a kingdom come situation.