#1 Posted by bxhybrid89 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

if superman stayed dead what shape would the league be in? who would be the cavalry?who would take doomsday?and who would take the spot as number one metahuman

#2 Posted by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter is technically already more powerful than Superman so logically he'd be the next in line for Earth's greatest defender. But of course that wouldn't happen.

#3 Posted by Dernman (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Martian Manhunter is technically already more powerful than Superman so logically he'd be the next in line for Earth's greatest defender. But of course that wouldn't happen.

Superman is more than just power. Martian Manhunter as powerful as he is does not invoke the same inspiration and faith in people that Superman does.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@lvenger said:

Martian Manhunter is technically already more powerful than Superman so logically he'd be the next in line for Earth's greatest defender. But of course that wouldn't happen.

Superman is more than just power. Martian Manhunter as powerful as he is does not invoke the same inspiration and faith in people that Superman does.

I do know that but I was just going for a more raw power basis for championing Earth. In terms of faith and inspiration, maybe Wally or Kyle?

#5 Edited by Dernman (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Wally and Kyle come off more like they would be someones peer.

#6 Edited by Baberaham_Lincoln (949 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd pick shazam. His story is pretty inspirational don't you reckon? (referring to geoff johns' recent run on him)

#7 Posted by AlKusanagi (697 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. He's already synthesized a serum with Superman's DNA which will grant him all his powers and abilities, he just hasn't told anyone about it. Because Batman.

#8 Posted by dondave (39930 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair Martian Manhunter is more recognized than Superman outside of North America

#9 Edited by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Oh then it'd have to be Barry Allen who would best fit Superman's role. He's the only other person who comes close to inspiring Superman's level of confidence and hope in the people.

#10 Posted by PeppeyHare (4325 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna second Barry Allen

#11 Edited by Dernman (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Honestly I don't feel it. I just don't see him being expanding out of his universe. Honestly I think the closest one in idea or theme would be Wonder Woman maybe. Though she is so tied to woman centric compared to other female characters.

#12 Posted by bxhybrid89 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: well I would say icon would be the calvary and the one to take on doomsday, while wonder woman would be the number one metahuman, I would say captain marvel but he's still a kid and have alot more to learn.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Diana? I can see why you'd think that but she's treated with suspicion a lot of the time in Man's World.

#14 Posted by Dernman (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I agree that's why I added the second comment. I knew I should have explained better. My bad.

#15 Posted by SoA (5764 posts) - - Show Bio

martian manhunter , he has the abilities and shapeshifts , the answer is pretty easy lol

#16 Edited by SOG7dc (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

The Correct Answer:

NOBODY

#17 Posted by PowerWoman (3639 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 martian manhunter isnt too powerful..or I'm lost something?

However,No one could do that in the New 52

Pre-52,maybe a lot

Pre-crisis,hell....................

#18 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (7613 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by timelord (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@bxhybrid89: I would say Supergirl at least when she is a bit older.

#20 Edited by KidChipotle (14491 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman died and stayed dead, I think the League would band closer together out of necessity to step up. I don't think one individual hero would "take his place" so to speak. HOWEVER, if this were Pre-52 Earth, I'd say Superboy with tons of pride behind that answer.

Online
#21 Edited by MaccyD (5711 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman with prep.

#22 Edited by krspaceT (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure anyone could truly replace him. Everyone is unique, and no one can be a Superman, but Superman. Didn't Reign of the Supermen highlight that?

#23 Posted by RustyRoy (14938 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam.

#24 Posted by stephens2177 (1204 posts) - - Show Bio

In the new 52 nobody,superman is a step above all others.

The JL would take the role as a unified team.

Pre 52 half the hero population

#25 Posted by ComicStooge (17064 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

To be fair Martian Manhunter is more recognized than Superman outside of North America

Wasn't it said J'onn was the Superman of the Southern Hemisphere? (Which would include Australia, haha!)

#26 Edited by TDK_1997 (15894 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of raw power it would be definitely Martian Manhunter but in terms of imspiration probably Wally West.

#27 Posted by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman died and stayed dead, I think the League would band closer together out of necessity to step up. I don't think one individual hero would "take his place" so to speak. HOWEVER, if this were Pre-52 Earth, I'd say Superboy with tons of pride behind that answer.

As awesome as Pre Flashpoint Connor was, I don't think he'd be ready to step up to the mantle just yet if anything happened to Superman despite the alternate reality future of him and Damian as Batman and Superman.

#28 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1654 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman died and stayed dead, I think the League would band closer together out of necessity to step up. I don't think one individual hero would "take his place" so to speak. HOWEVER, if this were Pre-52 Earth, I'd say Superboy with tons of pride behind that answer.

Agreed if such a situation came up(pre 52) I think Conner would take up the mantle(or atleast I would like him to), preferably when he turned 20 or a bit older. Till such time in terms of power Wonder woman, Shazam and MM...actually everyone would have to step up their game. Also they would need to keep people looking up at the sky with hope for tomorrow.

If he died after the formation of the superman squad then no one would have to take his place.

#29 Posted by ComicStooge (17064 posts) - - Show Bio

Prior to the reboot, I would've said MM. He's both powerful enough and has a good enough moral centre to be Earth's champion hero.

#30 Posted by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

Prior to the reboot, I would've said MM. He's both powerful enough and has a good enough moral centre to be Earth's champion hero.

This or Barry for me since Johns brought him back.

#31 Edited by The Stegman (29098 posts) - - Show Bio

No one can replace Superman...but Shazam can try.

#32 Posted by KidChipotle (14491 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

If Superman died and stayed dead, I think the League would band closer together out of necessity to step up. I don't think one individual hero would "take his place" so to speak. HOWEVER, if this were Pre-52 Earth, I'd say Superboy with tons of pride behind that answer.

As awesome as Pre Flashpoint Connor was, I don't think he'd be ready to step up to the mantle just yet if anything happened to Superman despite the alternate reality future of him and Damian as Batman and Superman.

That's exactly why I chose Connor. Because Connor might not be ready or maybe he wouldn't feel worthy or maybe he wouldn't even want to be the next Superman. It would be a coming of age type story, with a different tone than we were used to with the Superboy books of the past. I guess what I have in mind is similar to when Dick takes over the cowl for Bruce. Not that it matters now because Connors dead, or will die, in the New 52 in favor of Jon Lane Kent, but it had a ton of potential.

Online
#33 Posted by mikex20 (3133 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Majestic

#34 Posted by Lvenger (23440 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

If Superman died and stayed dead, I think the League would band closer together out of necessity to step up. I don't think one individual hero would "take his place" so to speak. HOWEVER, if this were Pre-52 Earth, I'd say Superboy with tons of pride behind that answer.

As awesome as Pre Flashpoint Connor was, I don't think he'd be ready to step up to the mantle just yet if anything happened to Superman despite the alternate reality future of him and Damian as Batman and Superman.

That's exactly why I chose Connor. Because Connor might not be ready or maybe he wouldn't feel worthy or maybe he wouldn't even want to be the next Superman. It would be a coming of age type story, with a different tone than we were used to with the Superboy books of the past. I guess what I have in mind is similar to when Dick takes over the cowl for Bruce. Not that it matters now because Connors dead, or will die, in the New 52 in favor of Jon Lane Kent, but it had a ton of potential.

I guess it worked from a story potential but it could come off being similar to Dick Grayson not wanting the Batman mantle even though he's the next best candidate for it.

#35 Edited by stephens2177 (1204 posts) - - Show Bio

Combined effort from superboy,supergirl,steel,and powergirl

#36 Edited by drgnx (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam, kon-el, Thor!

#37 Posted by sinestro_GL (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends in what respect.

Leadership and iconic figure? Superhero? Superpowers?

#38 Posted by stephens2177 (1204 posts) - - Show Bio

Leadership and iconic figure-batman

Superhero-superboy

Superpowers-supergirl or shazam

#39 Posted by RogueShadow (14856 posts) - - Show Bio

Send me in with a crowbar.

Online
#40 Posted by RDClip (1587 posts) - - Show Bio

When Superman died in a 'what-if' story in the 60's, Supergirl took over. I'd actually like to see Power Girl have to take the mantle of number one Kryptonian superhero, since she is the oldest, strongest and most experienced of the rest of the Superman family.

#41 Edited by Captain13 (4338 posts) - - Show Bio

In the DCAU, I'd say Static. He best fits the paragon, respected her mold after Superman leaves Earth.

In the DCnU, it's whomever fits the corporate agenda--from a superman clone to Cyborg. Barry Allen is the most similar in personailty, but he doesn't have the confidence and hasn't displayed the leadership. Superheros trust Batman, but don't like him. So my guess is Dick Grayson--though he lacks the powers.

#42 Edited by stephens2177 (1204 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is a great choice for a leader and inspiration,I would put superboy and supergirl as the power and hero.