#1 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Either MoS tanks in which case they will probably blame it on Superman being box office poison. "We tried everything to jazz up Superman into a darker, more modern, morally ambiguous Man of Steel, but it didn't work ..." Or it is a success and then what ?

It's obvious the makers didn't have faith in Superman as a property and struggled to make this messy, muddled film under a climate of fear.

What happens to the new DC universe if MoS tanks ? Will they try even harder to darkify and betterify future films like Justice League, Wonder Woman etc ? Or will they have to accept that Marvel at least has a working formula and that you can actually make a film embracing a potentially utterly laughable character like Thor, warts and all, as long as you do it with conviction ?

Man of Steel tried to be anything but a Superman film and it had no conviction, no sense of awe and wonder that in my opinion a Superman film should at least try to evoke. Instead we got a muddled flick, overburdened by drama and unnecessary moral ambiguity.

So where does DC/Warner go from here ?

#2 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Well considering MoS had the biggest June opening ever, and it has already made over 230 million dollars I'd say it's obviously far from bombing.

It's pretty obvious you're a little butt hurt over the film for some reason. I personally thought it was a great movie. It set a perfect direction for the DC movie universe.

#3 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

while far from being a perfect movie it was still a good one... as for the tanking... i don't think it's gonna tank... but it should at least make 700 million worldwide to be considered a genuine success.. well i m keeping my fingers crossed

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33897 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_guyver: Can you see a Flash or Green Lantern dark and realistic enough to fit in to the Man of Steel universe?

#5 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2358 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (11420 posts) - - Show Bio

Is just me or people forgets that Returns did everything that Man of Steel haters say and still it failed and they hated the movies, also all the non based on Rotten Tomatoes reviews i have read talk well about this one.

Is amazing how Rotten Tomatoes editor pretty much said their reviewers are a bunch of idiots.

Also people often see Superman as a thing he actually is not, since this movie didnt was about their fantasy of who Superman is they get pissed off, how childish is that.

@dark_guyver: Can you see a Flash or Green Lantern dark and realistic enough to fit in to the Man of Steel universe?

Superman is super fast and super powerfull, how was that even reallistic?, also you remember the last time they decide to go Marvel.

When DC stop this being Marvel thing, they kicked the Marvel butt and made Aquqman sales so big he was selling more that Marvel, so screw the Marvel way of doing things, THIS IS DC!!!

Is time to look for the DC Way!!!!

#7 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1440 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't agree with any of your thoughts on the film I really enjoyed it. The movie set up Lex for the sequel well. As far as the other characters are concerned of course they can fit in here, the sci-fi elements in this film worked really well and if they make a good mature non marvelized green lantern film it easily fits in here,Flash as well, sci-fi elements- Speed force anyone. Plus if they can do this with Superman it won't be hard to do it with the others, granted the script is good. And there can be lots of comic relief when it comes to those characters but when it comes to serious battles joking then is just stupid.

#8 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Or will they have to accept that Marvel at least has a working formula and that you can actually make a film embracing a potentially utterly laughable character like Thor, warts and all, as long as you do it with conviction ?

Pfff...like they made Thor with conviction...or warts and all...

#9 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Is just me or people forgets that Returns did everything that Man of Steel haters say and still it failed and they hated the movies, also all the non based on Rotten Tomatoes reviews i have read talk well about this one.

Is amazing how Rotten Tomatoes editor pretty much said their reviewers are a bunch of idiots.

Also people often see Superman as a thing he actually is not, since this movie didnt was about their fantasy of who Superman is they get pissed off, how childish is that.

@jonny_anonymous said:

Superman is super fast and super powerfull, how was that even reallistic?, also you remember the last time they decide to go Marvel.

When DC stop this being Marvel thing, they kicked the Marvel butt and made Aquqman sales so big he was selling more that Marvel, so screw the Marvel way of doing things, THIS IS DC!!!

Is time to look for the DC Way!!!!

I agree!

#10 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

So...you are basing that off out of the Donner movies then?

Anyway, the movie did not flop, it will probably make 800 million worldwide or maybe more. Who knows? But judging from the criticism it seems the it might be more lighter. As far a JL movie, I could care less.