Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: What do you think of Scott Lobdell's run? (47 votes)

I love it! 9%
It's ok. 30%
It's terrible. 57%

Title says it all.

#1 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's been consistently awful

#2 Posted by EnigmaLantern (763 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly believe he should take a break from the Supes family books, I haven't seen/read one good arc by him involving them (but then again I haven't read all of them so I may of missed a good arc but I doubt it).

I gave up on Superboy after the first 5 issues, and gave up on Psi War after issue 22. Still can't get over how he was, at one point, writing both Action Comics and Superman..

#3 Posted by timelord (873 posts) - - Show Bio

He can not write dialogue he has interesting ideas he just fails in the execution. If you want a fun Superman book to pick up try the latest issue of Action Comics. Gregg Pak killed it

#4 Edited by batmannflash (6227 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty bad.

Snyder's run is good so far and Pak's latest issue in Action Comics was great.

#5 Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelord said:

He can not write dialogue he has interesting ideas he just fails in the execution. If you want a fun Superman book to pick up try the latest issue of Action Comics. Gregg Pak killed it

Greg Pak is great, I picked up that issue today and I loved it.

#6 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (13070 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the He'l arc and his convo with Lex. Overall I think he's okay but his stuff is at times complicated. His Red Hood work is better but even I didnt like his Teen Titans stuff, the art didnt help.

#7 Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like Kenneth Rockefort's art. I met him once, he's a nice guy.

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (13638 posts) - - Show Bio

Psi-War was one of the worst Superman stories I've ever read. I give him credit for doing something different by having him face HIVE and a GL villain but it just was bad. Most of his run has been bad. He's botching Supes and he screwed up Teen Titans, I have slim to none faith in this man as a writer lately. Put me down as "It's terrible."

#9 Posted by batmannflash (6227 posts) - - Show Bio

As I stated above, his Superman is pretty bad. His Teen Titans run is downright terrible but I liked his Red Hood run, but I stopped after Kenneth Rocafort left

#10 Posted by timelord (873 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelord said:

Greg Pak is great, I picked up that issue today and I loved it.

Superman VS a Hurricane you would have to try to mess that up :)

#11 Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing I hated the most was when he fried those iPads in Action Comics. C'mon Lobdell...Clark isn't like that.

#12 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6907 posts) - - Show Bio

SAVE US GREG PAK.

#13 Posted by comicbookfan93 (441 posts) - - Show Bio

I despise it I think it's awful but for those who voted love it I was just wondering why you love it?

#14 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (13070 posts) - - Show Bio

@lieutenant_awkward: If that was aimed at me, I agree but I meant Brett Booth (the Doomsday VM issue was confusing and his art made it worse) and Ig Guara.

#15 Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by ColonelRunAway (363 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (13070 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicbookfan93: Only I did apparently. I liked the He'l arc and that conversation with Lex gave me chills. I thought the action and build up in Psi War was good, the ending not so much. The man wrote a good line in Red Hood about Superman and gave him awesome feats. I would be more between good and okay but I like throwing a dog a bone. I'll agree Teen Titans was bad, I dropped it at issue 10.

#18 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2194 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's okay, He'll have a great issue and then a bad one following it so it's very inconsistent. His ideas are great but the execution is meh. I don't think it's as bad as people think but it's not that great. Maybe I'm not as harsh on it since I'm a Superman fanatic but it's definitely the weakest Superman thing going on right now with Batman/Superman, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman and Superman Unchained all being fantastic. The art is always pretty nice.

#19 Posted by buttersdaman000 (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

Psi War was horrible!! But, for the most part, his run has been ok, full of fun, engaging stories that fell short on the execution

#20 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1806 posts) - - Show Bio

Horrible

#21 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicbookfan93: I vote ok but I'm more towar ds ok to great. I was really impressesed with his start and middle issues of Superman. Those were awesome. The first part of Psi-War too, but his Superman 24 stunk. I was just so put off by it however the voice he's given clark, kat, Lois, Supergirl, superboy and lex has let me give him a lot of slack.

Btw, did you notice kats character difference between Superman and Superman/WonderWoman? In Superman, she's more of a friend and hard working girl bit in SM/WW she is more of a (w) itch. I like both versions, they are the complement of each other.

#22 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (13070 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelord said:

I disagree, that convo with Lex, Supe's and Superboy gave me chill's. Plus when Superman talked to the Red Hood gang was pretty boss.

#23 Edited by SanoHibiki (1951 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s decent enough and much better than what previous authors done with Superman title in New-52. Mind you, plotlines of his comics are interesting and have big potential; some of his issues I would rate as “great”.

#24 Edited by toptom (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_rog_el said:

@timelord said:

I disagree, that convo with Lex, Supe's and Superboy gave me chill's. Plus when Superman talked to the Red Hood gang was pretty boss.

That is true, some of his issues have had 5 stars rating even here on cv and that issue you are talking about was one of them. Even in "superman annual n 1" the dialogues were really good, it's just that sometimes you can have Superman talking to himself or Orion saying "firepits of apokolipts that's hot and melty!". Another small complaint with Lobdell is that his characters tend to have all the same humor, but still, despite his flaws i have enjoied what he has done so far (even psi war, that was really weak at the beginning has managed to get better by the end) and i just loved how he has introduced Helspont rendering him one the most dangerous beings in the universe...and above all by making him a superman's foe.I really can't wait to see him being reintroduced again just to see what Superman will do to stop him.

#25 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad Greg Pak has Action Comics

#26 Posted by Xwraith (23279 posts) - - Show Bio

I refuse to read anything with Lobdell's name on it.

#27 Posted by RDClip (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

In Lobdell's case, familiarity has bred contempt. The more I've read from him, the less I like him as a writer. His Superman stories are boring run-of-the-mill big fight stories with little substance. And his Teen Titans work has been just plain awful. The people that hate Geoff Johns' Titans probably look back fondly at that book compared to Lobdell's Titans (I, personally, really liked Johns' Titans).

#28 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

I expected a lot more hate in this thread TBH. I voted "It's ok". Much like some others here I feel Lodbell has great ideas, so I find them interesting BUT somewhere along the way the idea's execution gets neutered. He'l was a great example of this, and again with Psi-Wars. The over-all idea is good and interesting but somewhere along the way either Lodbell or DC step in and stop it being as great as it could/should have been.

I enjoyed some parts of Psi-Wars a lot actually, such as hints he has latent psionic abilities and powers (although the following issue for this seemed to have rejected the notion all together), and the introduction of Psycho Pirate I thought was great. But then the final ending/climax fell short for me (same as He'l on Earth) - especially as they seem intent on it NOT being Superman who saves the day at the end and having him saved by someone else (He'l it was Supergirl, Psi-Wars ends up being Lois) - which considering it's his own title and it's now been twice in a row - it's annoying and frustrating as a Superman fan. Anyway - over-all though I don't have enough hate for me to dislike him as much as others.

#29 Posted by sage1000 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Like it has already been said, he has really great ideas and you can tell he has a long term plan to his stories which is something I really enjoy in comics. It is his execution and characterizations that usually just reduces his stories to mediocre at best. His H'el on Earth arc started very well, the convo with Lex was great but everything else just fell flat, same with the Culling. Krypton returns is off to a good start and I'm really hoping it doesn't fall.

#30 Edited by 2cool4fun (1623 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, he has ideas but he can't write them good enough. Though to be fair we all have ideas, but there is a reason we are not all writers.

#31 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

It was really good, one of my favourite books, UNTIL THE PSY WAR ARC. That was awful.

#32 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lobdell

Superman is powerful,why people hate it?

#33 Posted by tupiaz (2255 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I refuse to read anything with Lobdell's name on it.

Why?

#34 Posted by toptom (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lobdell

Superman is powerful,why people hate it?

That's not the real reason...well it isn't to most of them. Sometimes (and NOT always) Lobdell can write a weird dialogue and the characterization is not exceptional...but at least with him the stories are interesting and that wasn't really the case with Perez and Jurgens.

#35 Edited by Dra5tik (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Awful, this "dark and gritty" that they're pushing is really just...bad, added onto the fact that Lobdell cannot write for anything says it all.

#36 Posted by Z3RO180 (6856 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped reading when Psy war hit

#37 Edited by AllStarSuperman (24182 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

I stopped reading when Psy war hit

this, I am jumping on for return to krypton, then ill probably get off again.

#38 Posted by toptom (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: Yes, the first issues of psi war were meh but then they've become slowly better, the dialogues were done right (like if they were normal people speaking and not super-heroes) and the art in the last issue was simply outstanding.

Still it's true that psi war can be considered the least interesting of the Lobdell's runs.Have you completely dropped the Superman's title after this or are you going to follow Krypton's return and what comes after it?

#39 Posted by Z3RO180 (6856 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom: I am going to follow Krypton Returns but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to drop the title. Not because it's bad mainly because I'm reading Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman and Unchained.

#40 Posted by Reactor (2807 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be honest, while I'm not a die-hard fan of Lobdell, I've never had any particular issues with him either. It seems more like it's just popular to hate him.