#1 Edited by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

For those who missed this weeks issue of DC Universe Vs. Masters of the Universe. Id suggest avoiding this spoiler cause it was awesome and this would put the Debate to rest on who would win.

Magic Sword Trumphs Supes.

#2 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that it was pretty much accepted that a He-man vs Superman fight would be a pretty close call

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman should be able to beat He-Man easily.

#4 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

That panel seems to be oddly devoid of sound effects.

Allow me to remedy that.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

He-man's strength is variable...he's as strong as the situation needs him to be no matter what...he could easily match Superman for strength

they also had a Superman/He-man crossover in the 80's and they were pretty even

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@vance_astro said:

He-man's strength is variable...he's as strong as the situation needs him to be no matter what...he could easily match Superman for strength

Same thing happened when Superman fought Venom.

#7 Edited by CheeseSticks (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

There you have it, Magic is stronger than Superman

#8 Edited by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

@danhimself said:

@vance_astro said:

Same thing happened when Superman fought Venom.

here are the pages leading up to that panel above

I can't figure out how to put the images in a spoiler block

so SPOILERS

#9 Posted by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

JUST AS A SIDE NOTE TO EVERYONE! DEXTER SOY'S ART FOR THE FIGHT WAS EPIC FROM START TO FINISH!.

Even if you don't buy the whole series just get that issue just for some awesome fight art.

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

At the very least the art is awesome.

#11 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman should know better than flinging his chest through the pointy end of that sword.

#12 Posted by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

@isaac_clarke: But that is the thing, he does not know the sword is magical so he sees it as not a threat.

#13 Posted by sentryman555 (765 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really know much about He-man but I assumed he also had a no killing policy. If I was wrong that completely changes my view of the character O_o

#14 Posted by JetiiMitra (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

If he lives through it, this could just be a healing feat on the New 52's usual level of subtlety.

#15 Posted by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does dc hate superman?

#16 Posted by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

@trodorne: Even though this makes me sick as a superman fan....If you like Decter soy's art you Gould check out the issue 6 crossover of superior spiderman. The art is done by dexter soy and is nothing short of incredible.

#17 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

@trodorne said:

JUST AS A SIDE NOTE TO EVERYONE! DEXTER SOY'S ART FOR THE FIGHT WAS EPIC FROM START TO FINISH!.

Even if you don't buy the whole series just get that issue just for some awesome fight art.

I take it they are controlled by the bad guys..... what issue is it?

#18 Posted by Lvenger (19329 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic sword through the chest. Why am I not surprised with the PIS? And Soy's art was better in Superior Spider-Man 6AU

@sog7dc Superman was winning through the rest of the fight. He-Man could barely keep up and you see the narrative describing He-Man's awe of Superman's power. It was just stupid PIS that saw He-Man get a cheap win.

Not really. He-Man managed to keep up with Pre Crisis Superman for a while but then Superman overwhelmed him eventually. He-Man had to resort to the typical "Break the villain's hold over the hero" cliche as he does here. Physically, Superman has much better feats than He-Man.

#19 Posted by w0nd (3281 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not like the fight was one sided...why would anyone be upset over this lol

#20 Posted by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: Because it is,IMO, yet another stupid weakness for superman. It was always just a vulnerability but now this is a full fledged weakness. And it disgusts me

#21 Edited by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Soy's art is always impressive. Somebody needs to give him an ongoing. And I hate when they do that to superman. Now he is weak to kryptonite red sun AND magic.....why the he'll does he need all those weaknesses?? It's ridiculous to me.

#22 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: 1. No reason to be disgusted over a comic.

2. Since when is Superman weak to red sun energy? He works like a battery

#23 Posted by RisingBean (3870 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Wait, is this in continuity?

#24 Posted by JetiiMitra (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: No idea. I had assumed so, but I guess it might not be.

#25 Posted by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: 1. No reason to be disgusted over a comic.

2. Since when is Superman weak to red sun energy? He works like a battery

1. i invest money, time, and emotions in comics just like a great deal of other people on this site.people get disgusted about things in comics all the time. please dont tell me there is no reason for me to feel a certain way.

2. he has been for a long time much to my angst. just recently in scott lobdells run and in action comics he was shown to be weak under red sun light

#26 Posted by RisingBean (3870 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Until it gets referenced in mainstream continuity, I'd just take it as one of my dream team ups circa 1984.

#27 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: 1. I understand getting upset over comics (Obviously it happens to me as well), but I don't think there's ever a reason to feel physically sick over fiction. Just my opinion of course and I'm sorry if I came off as rude.

2. That's really stupid

#28 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Stabbed

#29 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Magic sword through the chest. Why am I not surprised with the PIS? And Soy's art was better in Superior Spider-Man 6AU

@sog7dc Superman was winning through the rest of the fight. He-Man could barely keep up and you see the narrative describing He-Man's awe of Superman's power. It was just stupid PIS that saw He-Man get a cheap win.

@danhimself said:

Not really. He-Man managed to keep up with Pre Crisis Superman for a while but then Superman overwhelmed him eventually. He-Man had to resort to the typical "Break the villain's hold over the hero" cliche as he does here. Physically, Superman has much better feats than He-Man.

He-Man just had a massive power boost in his series right before he was sent to the DC earth so if he was keeping up with Pre-Crisis Superman before then there's nothing "PIS" about this

#30 Posted by Lvenger (19329 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Have you been reading the series? If so, can you tell me what kind of feats He-Man has performed that put him on a Superman level or chance of beating him? Also there's a massive error in comparing the older version of He-Man to the new one. They're two different characters and your mistake is to compare their feats as if they're the same which could not be further from the truth. Thus the PIS in He-Man cheap stabbing Superman.

#31 Posted by SOG7dc (7004 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: I accept your apology and I think it appropriate to note that I did not literally mean physically I'll I meant to convey I was very upset with this

#32 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't kill him, right? Anyway He-Man and Supes are every match.

#33 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@danhimself: Have you been reading the series? If so, can you tell me what kind of feats He-Man has performed that put him on a Superman level or chance of beating him? Also there's a massive error in comparing the older version of He-Man to the new one. They're two different characters and your mistake is to compare their feats as if they're the same which could not be further from the truth. Thus the PIS in He-Man cheap stabbing Superman.

He-man's power from the beginning has always been that his strength is variable....if he needs to be strong enough to lift Castle Greyskull then that's exactly how strong he is, if he needs to be strong enough to push the moon back into orbit then that's exactly how strong he is...that's the way it's always been

the series has only been running for around 12 or so issues and he just got his power increase 2 issues ago so no he doesn't have a lot of feats...though it should be noted that this could very well be the same He-man that DC published years ago since the series starts with him already being He-man for some time now...plus He-man and his sword are magic based and Superman has always been vulnerable to magic and the New 52 Superman is headstrong and has been shown to barge into situations that he doesn't know enough about...so him assuming that it's just a normal sword and lunging at it only to be impaled by it isn't anything that should get you upset

#34 Posted by Lvenger (19329 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

He-man's power from the beginning has always been that his strength is variable....if he needs to be strong enough to lift Castle Greyskull then that's exactly how strong he is, if he needs to be strong enough to push the moon back into orbit then that's exactly how strong he is...that's the way it's always been

the series has only been running for around 12 or so issues and he just got his power increase 2 issues ago so no he doesn't have a lot of feats...though it should be noted that this could very well be the same He-man that DC published years ago since the series starts with him already being He-man for some time now...plus He-man and his sword are magic based and Superman has always been vulnerable to magic and the New 52 Superman is headstrong and has been shown to barge into situations that he doesn't know enough about...so him assuming that it's just a normal sword and lunging at it only to be impaled by it isn't anything that should get you upset

Is there any confirmation to the plot convenience thing?

And it can't be assumed this may well be the same DC He-Man since there are multiple comic book versions of He-Man along with no confirmation on this point. In regards to the magic comment, Superman's done perfectly fine against magic based opponents in the past who can hurt him.

#35 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@danhimself said:

@lvenger said:

Is there any confirmation to the plot convenience thing?

And it can't be assumed this may well be the same DC He-Man since there are multiple comic book versions of He-Man along with no confirmation on this point. In regards to the magic comment, Superman's done perfectly fine against magic based opponents in the past who can hurt him.

yeah...like I said...that's always been He-man's power

what magical opponents has Superman gone up against in the New 52 who had giant whopping swords and were nearly on par strength wise with him

and DC has published He-man comics in the past...who is to say that this isn't the same He-man?

#36 Edited by Lvenger (19329 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I was speaking more in Pre Flashpoint terms so I can't expect that to carry over I guess.

#37 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: yeah....the new 52 Superman like I said is a headstrong idiot who rushes headfirst into battles where he knows nothing about his opponent....him believing that it's just a normal sword and thinking that it was going to break on him is pretty understandable....he even mumbles "H-how?" when it happens...if it hadn't been for that he clearly would have won the fight...He-man's durability was helping him out but he probably wouldn't have lasted that much longer had he not gotten lucky with Superman's vulnerability to magic

#38 Posted by Lvenger (19329 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: yeah....the new 52 Superman like I said is a headstrong idiot who rushes headfirst into battles where he knows nothing about his opponent....him believing that it's just a normal sword and thinking that it was going to break on him is pretty understandable....he even mumbles "H-how?" when it happens...if it hadn't been for that he clearly would have won the fight...He-man's durability was helping him out but he probably wouldn't have lasted that much longer had he not gotten lucky with Superman's vulnerability to magic

Fair enough, that analysis is a sound one.

#39 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

For me I was OK with it - but in saying that I'm reading this from the perspective it's being done by non-Superman writers. I'm not familiar with the creative team (although I'm loving the art work). The whole thing just seems like there's a limited or uneducated understanding of Superman's powers (among some of the other main DC characters) in the same way for example a non-Superman fan gets all their info from the animated series or the movies. So far it's just kind of depicting the JL members in a really typical fashion, i.e. Superman is strong but has absolutely no brain or gives any thought to anything. Batman is the only one in the team with half a brain and escapes. The entire JL (except Batgod of course) are just powerful morons and are so easy to over-come simply because he has magic (despite the fact that they've all faced magical based villains in the past).

I like the over-all concept and will keep reading it (pretty sure we'll see Superman isn't dead as well) but I'm not expecting the JL characters to get a proper showing of them "in character" so to speak.

Yeah Superman has been "brash" or "hot-headed" in N52 but he's actually been over-coming that aspect as well AND he now knows these characters are magical based - Skeletor would have put that into their heads. There's no reason to think that other characters aren't operating within a magical context. But of course, Superman is just all brawn and no brain and it would never occur to him that he's dealing with an opponent who deals in magic.

#40 Edited by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is there is a limit to supermans power....somewhat. And he was using it in the battle. His Heat Vision can burn up alot of the solar energy Supes stores in his body and using it too long would weaken him over time. I agree that Superman would have one the fight in terms of blows. but you stole the words right from my mouth.

In terms of story this is only issue 2. Im sure this was a ploy by skeletor to either kill he-man or force him to become a fugitive to the law enforcements of the planet. But still a great issue. mind you id have gone a whole other route with Skeletors redesign though....Blarg!

#41 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

hehe i like this if only to see Superman fans squirm

#42 Posted by PowerWoman (3347 posts) - - Show Bio

People dont know who is he-man!?

What!?Even me know who is he-man,how can you guys dont know him??he was very very strong,strong enough toe with toe fight Pre-52 superman,though,he-man isnt close New 52 superman strength level

#43 Edited by toptom (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

....i don't even see where is the problem. A mind controlled Superman, who is evidently having the upper hand, gets wounded by a blade which he clearly didn't suspect it was magical. That's fine by me. On the top of that it is even probable we'll get the round 2, and since we know how cross-overs work it's almost certain that Supes will win the second one, just to mantain the balance.

#44 Posted by PowerWoman (3347 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom: He-man can kill superman just because this is magic..dont know why people sooooooooooooooooooo....

#45 Posted by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

....i don't even see where is the problem. A mind controlled Superman, who is evidently having the upper hand, gets wounded by a blade which he clearly didn't suspect it was magical. That's fine by me. On the top of that it is even probable we'll get the round 2, and since we know how cross-overs work it's almost certain that Supes will win the second one, just to mantain the balance.

That is the thing, I don't think this is cannon for DCU but its cannon for the He-man series. so they could treat this like an Elseworld story and keep supes dead. cause next issue is entitled: FUGITIVES!

#46 Posted by ColaNicole (581 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes is kinda like the bad guy here, of course he's gonna lose, if you can even call it that.

#47 Posted by w0nd (3281 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@w0nd: Because it is,IMO, yet another stupid weakness for superman. It was always just a vulnerability but now this is a full fledged weakness. And it disgusts me

being stabbed with a magic sword? he was always able to be pierced by magic weapons though. This isn't new, it's just superman is so use to not being harmed they made him look like an idiot there lol

#48 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

Word, not to mention the art is gorgeous. No reason to lose it over one single panel.