Superman's super intellect

• 62 results
MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I often see it stated that Superman has a super advanced Kryptonian intellect, and that his brain works faster, that he can comprehend anything near instantly, compute and calculate to the point that mere mortals generally shouldn't have a chance.

When I read Superman comics however, it seems like he never, ever uses these abilities. Mere mortals often end up explaining things to him, or figure things out before he does.

So, could Superman fans perhaps provide some recent examples of his super intellect being used? Or clarify exactly how he uses it, and why he should have an advantage over other genius humans?

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By johnqestion

@muyjingo said:

I often see it stated that Superman has a super advanced Kryptonian intellect, and that his brain works faster, that he can comprehend anything near instantly, compute and calculate to the point that mere mortals generally shouldn't have a chance.

When I read Superman comics however, it seems like he never, ever uses these abilities. Mere mortals often end up explaining things to him, or figure things out before he does.

So, could Superman fans perhaps provide some recent examples of his super intellect being used? Or clarify exactly how he uses it, and why he should have an advantage over other genius humans?

Many writers ignore that he could think and process swiftly and analytically and has an eidetic memory and advanced intellect. Instead we see everyone from Lois to Batman to Lex having to tell, show and explain sometimes elementary stuff to him. It gets really aggravating to see him written like the brawn with little brain. New 52 at least has tried to correct some of that but some writers still write him like the dim Bronze age Superman. The Superman title and JL title probably does the poorest job of showcasing his intellect. New 52 Action Comics by Morrison is the the run that showed how smart he could potentially be and yes he should have an advantage because it is due to his genetics. It is not as if they would have to jump through a hoop to justify it. His race was intellectually advanced.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see where your confusion comes from. After all he is so smart but we rarely see him use his intellect to solve problems. But there are some stories that give us an idea of how much his intellect surpasses that of any human. Lex Luthor, Batman or any other.

In some of the first issues of New 52 Action Comics, we got to see how huge is his raw brain power.

1. In Action Comics there was a story were he wanted to get a glimps of Krypton using Earth's telescopes, has you know telescopes are nothing more than tools that actually allows us to see through time, and in that particular date he wanted to witness Krypton's day when it blew up. So with worldwide coordination and the use of pratically ever telescope on Earth pointing to the place in our galaxy where Krypton was, he was able to get a clear picture. But getting that image was has much a contribution of all those telescopes has it was from Superman. The telescopes provided the information, but it was stated in the comic by one of the scientists that the data being produced even with a quantum computer it would take years to process all the information, but Superman did it in a matter of seconds. And when he inserted the processed data that he had done with his brain, a clear image of Krypton's explosive end, was displayed in the main screen.

2. Again in Action Comics, when Lois was caught in an acident, Superman took her to the hospital, but the doctors, said that due to the extent of the damage there was nothing they could do, so Superman ran to the library, read every article on every field of medicine, and in less than 5 minutes he was doing the surgery on Lois by himself with little to almost no help from the surgeons in the operating room. One even stated that Superman had learned in less than 5 minutes what even a skilled surgeon took 10 years to learn. That and the fact that he did everything without even leaving a scar on Lois, but that was more because of his precise use of his heat vision.

3. And unlike previous versions where Jor-El sent Krypton's knowledge inside some crystal and a AI of his conciousness to teach Kal-El, in the New 52 the only knowledge he had was the information stored in his ship brainiac processor AI. So this version of Superman didn't get free access to a ton of knowledge from his race, in fact it has been hinted that everything he knows about kryptonian technology he mostly figured it out by himself. And seeing that tech was way superior to Earth's tech one can assume that he's way more smarter than he leads on, or to be more precise, what the writers make him to be.

4. His fortress is filled with alien tech, most of which is not even kryptonian. But in one of Superman issues he was cataloging the tech that he had learned from and puting it on display, and in another issue (during the H'el arc, if I'm not mistaken) someone asked him why he had so much alien tech on his fortress and he answered saying that it was mostly tech that he had adquired on his adventures in space and that once he studied it he had deemed it to dangerous to store it elsewhere. This of course we can assume that he studied the tech, understood it and made it sure that it could not fall in the wrong hands, and seeing that most of it are from dozens if not thousands of different civilizations, and doing it all by himself does show an incredible intelligence.

There are other examples. But are only small pieces here and there. Writers for some reason focuse only on his raw physical power and not so much on his mental capacity, which was stated by the Psycho Pirate to be the most powerful on Earth, and I quote "You have the most powerful mind on Earth. Filled with psionic energy, shining like a star. To bad you don't know how to use it" in here the Psycho Pirate was not only refering to Superman's incredible mind but also to psychic powers that he himself doesn't know he has.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By amazing_webhead

The writers often forget that Superman is more than just fists

No Caption Provided
Even I think this is awesome, and I'm a Joker fanboy!

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WeAreMany

If that gow you feel, op, then i suggest reading more. Hes a genius.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many writers ignore that he could think and process swiftly and analytically and has an eidetic memory and advanced intellect. Instead we see everyone from Lois to Batman to Lex having to tell, show and explain sometimes elementary stuff to him. It gets really aggravating to see him written like the brawn with little brain. New 52 at least has tried to correct some of that but some writers still write him like the dim Bronze age Superman. The Superman title and JL title probably does the poorest job of showcasing his intellect. New 52 Action Comics by Morrison is the the run that showed how smart he could potentially be and yes he should have an advantage because it is due to his genetics. It is not as if they would have to jump through a hoop to justify it. His race was intellectually advanced.

See, that's mostly what I've seen. Example like those provided are the exception rather than the rule. It would be much easier to make a case that he doesn't have an advanced intellect than to make a case he does.

@heavenlydarkdragon: Thanks for the examples! It is a shame these are the exception rather than the rule, but I wonder if these feats cross the line into PIS territory, just because this ability is so very rarely showcased. There is a counter example to your fourth point, when he was using a storage container to hold Zod and had mistaken it for a cage...

If that gow you feel, op, then i suggest reading more. Hes a genius.

I've actually read a lot of Superman, which is why I am saying there is very little evidence, or the evidence at least occurs very infrequently to actually show that he is a genius.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By opis34
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo:

Again the problem with the "cage" would never have happened in pre-flashpoint, because New 52 Jor-El didn't thought of every possible scenario and didn't prepared for every outcome. In fact the one that gave the idea to use the spaceship was Lara and not Jor-El.

And seeing that he was sent with no intruction manual in kryptonian tech I think we can cut him a break.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer to this is quite simple. If Superman used his "Super intellect" in every series then he would pretty much be invincible. That and he would take away from characters like Batman, Lex Luthor and Brainiac and characters who heavily rely on intellect to fight him. If Superman used this power the fight would be over in two second. If Lex Luthor came with a super strong robot then Superman just looks at it and immediately knows the robots weak point and how to beat it the fight wouldn't even be a fight. It would just be another comic of Superman looking at a weak point and punching it and winning, and that would be boring and he would have no fans. So they have to kind of sweep that power under the rug and make it so Superman is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So that's why if he is fighting someone like Brainiac he doesn't use that power because it kills the entertainment and pretty much defeats the purpose of having a smart opponent for Superman if he is just going to out smart him in two seconds and win the fight easily.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters:

I agree. Even if he didn't analysed things and went only with the direct approach, he could use his mind together with his seemingly limitless speed, and he could watch things like time had stopped, giving him more than enough time to come up with counters to everything. He would be unstoppable.

And even if he didn't use it combat, and simply used it to improve the tech he already has, he could improve his bio-armor suit to block kryptonite radiation, and if anyone used red solar radiation against him the suit would take the energy and convert it to yellow sun energy. Or even better the suit could emit more powerful types of solar energy making him even more powerful.

In a way Superman's raw mental potential is so great that if he actually used it to its full extent, there would be nothing he couldn't do. And after the silver age, writers have a constant fear of again making him too powerful, so, they make him out to be this powerhouse that only uses his raw physical abilities. A way to chain Superman down. Which I find it to be stupid, seeing that I've followed characters like Mr. Majestic, and in his adventures they knew how to create good and interesting stories without diminuishing him.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ariesxmasters

@heavenlydarkdragon: Exactly you understand exactly what I mean. If they used his "Super Intellect" the character would lose his appeal and be incredibly boring because he would be just way to powerful which people tend to not like. I mean why not just create a guy named Mr. unstoppable and guess what his power is. . . he is unstoppable and unbeatable. Everyone would hate a character like that because of how boring he is and lazy the creators are.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

it would be pretty boring for supes just to swoop in and foil every plan in 3 panels.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MuyJingo

@muyjingo said:

it would be pretty boring for supes just to swoop in and foil every plan in 3 panels.

Yes, so instead of giving him problems that can't be solved by intellect, just write him as less than what he is?

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeremy1989

The answer to this is quite simple. If Superman used his "Super intellect" in every series then he would pretty much be invincible. That and he would take away from characters like Batman, Lex Luthor and Brainiac and characters who heavily rely on intellect to fight him. If Superman used this power the fight would be over in two second. If Lex Luthor came with a super strong robot then Superman just looks at it and immediately knows the robots weak point and how to beat it the fight wouldn't even be a fight. It would just be another comic of Superman looking at a weak point and punching it and winning, and that would be boring and he would have no fans. So they have to kind of sweep that power under the rug and make it so Superman is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So that's why if he is fighting someone like Brainiac he doesn't use that power because it kills the entertainment and pretty much defeats the purpose of having a smart opponent for Superman if he is just going to out smart him in two seconds and win the fight easily.

I would rather see that than Superman being a simple minded hero that only punches things. Besides it would give much more depth to his character.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters said:

I would rather see that than Superman being a simple minded hero that only punches things. Besides it would give much more depth to his character.

You would rather see a comic with 2 pages? If he started using that more frequently how could they make the issue longer? they would add even more useless dialogue just to extend it

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeremy1989

@w0nd said:

@jeremy1989 said:

@ariesxmasters said:

You would rather see a comic with 2 pages? If he started using that more frequently how could they make the issue longer? they would add even more useless dialogue just to extend it

YES. YES I DO. I TAKE BACK NOTHING WHAT I SAID.

Avatar image for senior_cuddlebuns
senior_cuddlebuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

Yeah and watch how well a 2 page book sells. Characters have to be presented by some sort of threat to be engaging. Even though the Flash is a fantastic tv series, i always often wonder why he doesnt use his power to do this, or to do that. But then I realized, that the show would be like 10 minutes long, and not worth my time. But due to the nature of the Flash's powers and how op he is, these thoughts linger and detract from the overall experience.

And really, all this will do is alienate all of Superman's rogue's galleries. How does Lex Luthor contend against supes when superman can be even more intelligent than Lex in 10 minutes, when it took Lex his whole life to be as smart as he is? If Superman is unbeatable, what's the appeal? Even if he always saves the day in the end, he still faces conflict. If it were that superman's intelligence were utilized fully, there'd be no conflict as he'd just instantly stop it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senior_cuddlebuns: It's the worst when someone slow punches him, but in the scene before his reaction time was amazing

Avatar image for senior_cuddlebuns
senior_cuddlebuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: See and those moments are hard to make believable due to the nature of his powers. Watch like Superman breaks into Lex Luthor's research and solves the amazo virus and cures everyone in 1 issue because super intelligence. Yawn.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

Yeah and watch how well a 2 page book sells. Characters have to be presented by some sort of threat to be engaging. Even though the Flash is a fantastic tv series, i always often wonder why he doesnt use his power to do this, or to do that. But then I realized, that the show would be like 10 minutes long, and not worth my time. But due to the nature of the Flash's powers and how op he is, these thoughts linger and detract from the overall experience.

And really, all this will do is alienate all of Superman's rogue's galleries. How does Lex Luthor contend against supes when superman can be even more intelligent than Lex in 10 minutes, when it took Lex his whole life to be as smart as he is? If Superman is unbeatable, what's the appeal? Even if he always saves the day in the end, he still faces conflict. If it were that superman's intelligence were utilized fully, there'd be no conflict as he'd just instantly stop it.

YES.
IT WILL BE PHENOMENAL!!!!!

money_trill45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By money_trill45
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

He's reading a freaking Plato book at a really young age. If you're not familiar with Plato, then I advise you to look it up!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Notes:

1. He very smart it was said in Action Comics 7 that Kryptonians have level 8 intelligence compared to Humans who only have level 3 intelligence which is primitive to them.
  2. One of the top pictures he perform surgery on Lois after absorbing and learning 10 years of medical knowledge in less than 2 mins from medical books and texts and also show in Action Comics 6 he has total perfect recall which allows him to store all information he absorbs.
  3. Heritage: Superman father and family roots come from a long series of the best scientists on Krypton. The Kryptonian civilization was one of the most advanced civilizations in the entire universe. They used their crystals (We have crystals too!) to store as much information as they could get their hands on. All of this knowledge is stored in the Fortress of Solitude. Even without super powers, Kal-El could use this massive amount of knowledge.

They'res also plenty of other stuff too. I would personally scan some comics show casing Superman intelligence (that some people may never seen before) but that will take sometime.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Squalleon

I think writing him super-clever is intimidating for some writers, its like writting him very strong. Being afraid they will not be able to demonstrate his struggle or find a suitable enemy the writers dump him down.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By tensor

That is just a bit too much.Keep in mind with all the stuff in his fortress of solitude to use.With his speed an power and knowledge he would be scary.

Look how Majestic turned out he was created off Superman but with the focus on not really holding back his powers and it is Hard to make good Villains for him.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The writers are intimidated.

carterleavyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

The writers are intimidated.

Yep

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Endanger

@muyjingo said:

When I read Superman comics however, it seems like he never, ever uses these abilities.

He uses his intellect in almost every issue, but in a more subtle way.

All this happened in one single issue, calculating Shrapnel's melting temperature and then outsmarting him with the tin coil:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Endanger

Here's another display of his intellect that anyone could have missed:

Him detecting defects in Cyborg's armor just by looking at it:

No Caption Provided

He does stuff like this almost every issue.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger said:

@muyjingo said:

When I read Superman comics however, it seems like he never, ever uses these abilities.

He really doesn't. Where does he use it in the latest Superman stories?

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Endanger

@muyjingo said:

@endanger said:

@muyjingo said:

What do you mean he doesn't? Me and the users above just gave you bunch of examples where he did use it (and it seemed you didn't read any of those issues)

And in Superman #35 he used his X-Ray vision to figure out the Machinist's mind trick.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger said:

@muyjingo said:

@endanger said:

@muyjingo said:

What do you mean he doesn't? Me and the users above just gave you bunch of examples where he did use it (and it seemed you didn't read any of those issues)

And in Superman #35 he used his X-Ray vision to figure out the Machinist's mind trick.

I mean he doesn't use it in almost every issue. I'm not denying he does use it, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

carterleavyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By carterleavyy

He use it a lot... he just don't flaunt it as much as Batman & Lex Luther if that's where you're getting at? For Example just because he don't use his super breath & freeze breath as much as Heat vision, that doesn't mean he don't have it.

Also if you just follow Superman in the Justice League comic, you won't see it as much because they have Batman for that. Trust and believe it's there and he does show his intelligence quite often then people think.

Not to be rude, but I can tell you don't read much SM comics?

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters:

I agree. Even if he didn't analysed things and went only with the direct approach, he could use his mind together with his seemingly limitless speed, and he could watch things like time had stopped, giving him more than enough time to come up with counters to everything. He would be unstoppable.

And even if he didn't use it combat, and simply used it to improve the tech he already has, he could improve his bio-armor suit to block kriptonite radiation, and if anyone used red solar radiation against him the suit would take the energy and convert it to yellow sun energy. Or even better the suit could emit more powerful types of solar energy making him even more powerful.

In a way Superman's raw mental potential is so great that if he actually used it to its full extent, there would be nothing he couldn't do. And after the silver age, writers have a constant fear of again making him too powerful, so, they make him out to be this powerhouse that only uses his raw physical abilities. A way to chain Superman down. Which I find it to be stupid, seeing that I've followed characters like Mr. Majestic, and in his adventures they knew how to create good and interesting stories without diminuishing him.

i agree 100%

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman uses his super intellect most commonly in combination with his many sensory powers. Actually most of my favorite Superman moments are from when he uses his hearing, vision, and intellect in a new and interesting way that I did not expect.

He doesn't spend his time building robot suits because he doesn't need it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't use his super intelligence consistently.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman should use his super intellect in battle when someone brings kryptonite. just once, i would like to see a battle when someone brings kyrptonite and supes lasers it just before he swoops in. that would make a great elseworld story.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vivide

superman should use his super intellect in battle when someone brings kryptonite. just once, i would like to see a battle when someone brings kyrptonite and supes lasers it just before he swoops in. that would make a great elseworld story.

he could always do that thing he did to (fake) mano in our worlds at war
he could always do that thing he did to (fake) mano in our worlds at war

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

http://imgur.com/gallery/YdSYv

here is a treat for you

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

@amazingwebhead said:

No Caption Provided

http://imgur.com/gallery/YdSYv

here is a treat for you

Thanks. There's a very short list of times I like seeing Joker humiliated, and that just made the list XD

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

The writers should use it more often...

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Endanger
No Caption Provided

- Using heat vision to create vapor and blind the enemies

No Caption Provided

- Finding out the Batcave easily (I assume he's one of the first who has discovered it)

No Caption Provided

-Using X-Ray vision to find the invisible enemy easily

No Caption Provided

-Outsmarting some fire demon by using his heat vision

No Caption Provided

- Batman states that the security that Superman built in the fortress is the best in the world.

No Caption Provided

- He knows exactly what each JLA member is doing by just listening to them.

stevenquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said. My thoughts exactly!

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@money_trill45:

I like these. Is there a way I can view the entirety of the Neodyne panel? To see if whether or not Clark was hired?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By buttersdaman000

@christianrapper said:

He has done something similar to that in an elseworlds story. In Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Batman brought kryptonite to fight Superman. Superman notices this and uses his super breath to knock Batman off his perch which, causing him to lose hold of the kryptonite. As Batman is trying to recover it, Superman swoops in, flys him into the air and OHKO's him. Simple and effective lol.

Mellosassymel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has super intellect like the Flash

The power is described as retaining a bunch of information for a short amount of time for a boost in intellect. Superman isn't really learning anything so he isn't becoming the smartest man on the planet with that power.

It should be enough that Batman has to constantly explain things to superman that superman can't even notice with his microscopic vision.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MuyJingo

@buttersdaman000: I appreciated that for being a cool scene, but I don't think it's accurate. I don't see Bruce being that careless with the one thing that gives him a chance.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@buttersdaman000: I appreciated that for being a cool scene, but I don't think it's accurate. I don't see Bruce being that careless with the one thing that gives him a chance.

It's not about being careless, it's about super breath/super speed vs human grip/agility

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: No, it's purely about him being careless. There were any number of ways he could have secured it instead of just clumsily holding it.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By buttersdaman000

@muyjingo said:

@buttersdaman000: No, it's purely about him being careless. There were any number of ways he could have secured it instead of just clumsily holding it.

Again, not about Batman being careless. The whole setup was to show just how easily Superman could deal with Batman in most situations. Outside of his Super Suits, it wouldn't matter how much more careful Batman is with k-nite vs a Superman utilizing his powers like he did in this comic. If he had it embedded in a ring or gauntlets, hidden in his suit, or whatever, it wouldn't matter, Superman can counter it just as easily.........So, I don't really know what you're trying to prove by dissecting this fight?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Again, it's only about Batman being careless. The setup in that elseworlds book was pretty far removed from how canon Batman would handle it. i.e., he wouldn't be so careless.

Not really sure why you think Superman could just counter it easily, because that's just straight up nonsense. Not trying to prove anything, just pointing out the scene you mentioned didn't really show anything and was somewhat poorly done.