Superman-WonderWoman #23 - Review

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay. Lets get something clear right now. This comic has improved compared to the previous one's.

Clark no longer looks or reads like the Punisher. He does throw the Parasite around quite a bit, but seeing who he's dealing with and seeing that if the plan backfires Diana might also get caught in the crossfire is normal to see him cautious. He doesn't read like the Hulk younger brother anymore, or at least in this issue. Everything he does he does with a purpose in mind.

Diana on the other hand at first she seems to have traded the anger management problems with Clark. Because she's the one more willing to cut the Parasite head or simply trash him around. At least at first. Then she calms down and we even get to see that she and Clark have come to a understanding about why he said what he said at the JL HQ. And they seem much more in tuned with each other.

We find out a few more things. Not agent man, is actually Vandal Savage son. And he wants to kill dear old daddy. Couldn't get more cliché than that. And that this plan is something Vandal Savage has been working for a long, long time. Millenia! So how it connects to Superman now and later on will be interesting to see.

Lets get to the scans...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It was nice to see the whining stop. And see Clark, actually listen to Diana and being able to work with one of his greatest enemies. Without trying to kill each other.

All in all it does show some improvement. It's still far from being what readers actually want it to be. But at this point I'll take any sign of improvement as a good sign.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DieHard200904

Thanks for the review.

Collecting Superman Chronicles right now, but something more recent might be worth trying when I get back to trying current. Good to hear that someone might be getting back to some a@@ kicking as opposed to just being shell shocked.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

So Clark threatening to slice Parasite's arm off doesn't sound Punisher esque at all? That elicited a real groan from me, not just a groan in my head. What terrible dialogue, Tomasi is better than this. Diana was also knocking Parasite a lot around last issue, it's just this issue seems to have highlighted how much Tomais writes Diana like Warrior Woman rather than Wonder Woman. The diplomat and Ambassador for Peace side of Wonder Woman has been sorely lacking for a while now. As for the rest of the issue, pacing seemed off, Vandal Savage's son adds another tenuous sideplot to Truth for readers to follow and the meanness of this Truth series continues to rear its ugly head. And just as I feared, the break up of Superman and Wonder Woman is just as unpleasant as the relationship was.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

So Clark threatening to slice Parasite's arm off doesn't sound Punisher esque at all? That elicited a real groan from me, not just a groan in my head. What terrible dialogue, Tomasi is better than this. Diana was also knocking Parasite a lot around last issue, it's just this issue seems to have highlighted how much Tomais writes Diana like Warrior Woman rather than Wonder Woman. The diplomat and Ambassador for Peace side of Wonder Woman has been sorely lacking for a while now. As for the rest of the issue, pacing seemed off, Vandal Savage's son adds another tenuous sideplot to Truth for readers to follow and the meanness of this Truth series continues to rear its ugly head. And just as I feared, the break up of Superman and Wonder Woman is just as unpleasant as the relationship was.

So are Sm/Ww over for real?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I would hope so, Tomasi is still sticking with the break up in this issue. Plus, in Superman #46, Superman mentions in the inner monologue that Mythbrawl reminds him of how things might have gone with Diana if they'd worked it out. Which implies that Clark is also broken up with Diana outside of the SM/WW series. Though it's possible they could get back together by the end of Savage Dawn/after Truth ends and Clark gets his full powers back.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: I would hope so, Tomasi is still sticking with the break up in this issue. Plus, in Superman #46, Superman mentions in the inner monologue that Mythbrawl reminds him of how things might have gone with Diana if they'd worked it out. Which implies that Clark is also broken up with Diana outside of the SM/WW series. Though it's possible they could get back together by the end of Savage Dawn/after Truth ends and Clark gets his full powers back.

It seems like quite an under the radar way to break up the characters.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DieHard200904

@lvenger: Or why not Clark be single? I mean, it's not like he just can't have some time being unpaired. It seems that DC has gotten a little tight on saying Superman should be paired off with somebody.

Then there's just the good idea on doing some Superdickery, I mean, Superman is rediculous so they might as well have something funny rather than keep running Truth past it's welcome.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

And how many times did Superman threatened other people in the past and didn't follow through... And besides if he was in hooligan mode like he's been shown previously he would've cut off Parasite arm and not just used the hilt of the sword to break the grip Parasite had on Diana.

I know things have been bleak, poor, tragic even. But that doesn't mean we should read every comic has if it was the same.

As for that supposedly breakup, we most be getting different vibes from the comics, because in nowhere it's said they broke up. At best it's hinted that Clark is trying to do things on is own and keep Diana far away as possible.

A breakup of those two characters, when and IF it happens, will leave no room for doubts. But we're both biased on this matter. I want Kal and Diana to work. And you don't. You never did. I could almost bet you'd love to see Lois and him together again. While I simply can't stand to see those two together again, for the thousand time. I'd much prefer to see him and Koriandr together than to watch Lois and Clark painfest all over again. And that should show you how serious I'm about this. I'd much prefer to see him with someone that's basically the exact opposite of him then to see him returning to Lois.

Sure the story telling is still poor, the dialogs the same. But it wasn't the painfest that previous titles were. At least in my opinion.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VickBat

Another son of Vandal? I thought it would be the authentic Root.. Anyone know if Root or not? That man cursed his father... and now I'm dizzy if Root is the son of Firestrom or Savage ..

Hopefully this man is one of those sons of vandal who fought Superman in the coming months, otherwise you have too many children and all I will do is drag this..

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo this is the only Superman title I decided to buy during Truth, and trust me is not because of the quality of the book.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@stelios23: At least it wasn't #21. That one was bad, as in unsatisfying after the buildup leading to it.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they still a couple ? At the end of the truth arc the free issue released a couple of months back where supes says he doesn't love Diana anymore. I ask because I'm a bit confused on this topic.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By suemorphplus209

@z3ro180: At the Start of Dark Truth, which I believe was SM/WW #18, Clark and Diana are sleeping together in the same bed in an apartment, with it being implied that they had sex that night. Diana's opening narration places Clark as still being the object of her affection, this is also after he said,"I don't love you anymore". There's no real direction or consistency in the truth plot at all.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: At the Start of Dark Truth, which I believe was SM/WW #18, Clark and Diana are sleeping together in the same bed in an apartment, with it being implied that they had sex that night. Diana's opening narration places Clark as still being the object of her affection, this is also after he said,"I don't love you anymore". There's no real direction or consistency in the truth plot at all.

No that is before Clark still had his powers.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288: No, it's after depowerment, and it happened two times. It's bad writing when the writers of this arc can't do much but repeat the same event twice. Happened in both #17 and #22 he was depowered in both cases.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288: @suemorphplus209: @z3ro180:

Yes Clark and Diana are still a couple. There's just some people that are just itching to see otherwise.

The after sex scene is a little hard to place seeing that Truth is so bad they aren't even doing it chronically linear. But so far the comic that seems to be farther ahead than the others is Action Comics. The order I believe is this: (old events to recent events) Superman, Batman/Superman, Superman-WonderWoman and finally Action Comics. I might be wrong though.

Either way they're still together and Clark is nowhere near fixing his powers.

From what little we've been shown in DC Comics site, in January the Savage Dawn arc begins. And it all points to Clark doing everything in his power to fix his current situation, even going as far as exposing himself to green K just to see if that still as any effect on him and if it does, if it can fix or eliminate whatever is blocking his powers.

Because we all know Superman powers can't simply be stolen. Not from getting his energy absorbed by those artificial beings or whatever. If he was Spider-Man, The Hulk or some other character that got his powers from radiation, then that could fly. But seeing that's not the case something else most be going on here. And maybe that's where the green K comes in. In previous timelines, in some cases Superman used green K to eliminate alien parasites, diseases, or simple nanotech.

So until then nothing will get fixed, I'm just hoping that at least DC starts throwing more explanations our way. At least so we can start to put the pieces together.

That's assuming of course DC knows what they're doing. Because after Yang last performance where he clearly dismissed Morrison earlier work, I'm not so sure that DC has the reigns of this arc.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stelios23: At least it wasn't #21. That one was bad, as in unsatisfying after the buildup leading to it.

True

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: thanks dude the other two guys didn't really answer my question. As for yang I'm sure some suit over at DC went up to him dropped the idea of truth in front of him and said your idea can wait make this work.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And how many times did Superman threatened other people in the past and didn't follow through... And besides if he was in hooligan mode like he's been shown previously he would've cut off Parasite arm and not just used the hilt of the sword to break the grip Parasite had on Diana.

I know things have been bleak, poor, tragic even. But that doesn't mean we should read every comic has if it was the same.

As for that supposedly breakup, we most be getting different vibes from the comics, because in nowhere it's said they broke up. At best it's hinted that Clark is trying to do things on is own and keep Diana far away as possible.

A breakup of those two characters, when and IF it happens, will leave no room for doubts. But we're both biased on this matter. I want Kal and Diana to work. And you don't. You never did. I could almost bet you'd love to see Lois and him together again. While I simply can't stand to see those two together again, for the thousand time. I'd much prefer to see him and Koriandr together than to watch Lois and Clark painfest all over again. And that should show you how serious I'm about this. I'd much prefer to see him with someone that's basically the exact opposite of him then to see him returning to Lois.

Sure the story telling is still poor, the dialogs the same. But it wasn't the painfest that previous titles were. At least in my opinion.

Too many times in the New 52 for my liking frankly. It's still bad writing that Tomasi had Superman threaten, even if baselessly, to cut someone's arm off. Those words and that scene do not look good when it's Superman who is saying those things and behaving aggressively.

When every Superman comic has included at least 1, if not all of those terms in the story, it's not exactly hard to read Truth as repeating the same approach over and over again.

Previous issues stated that Clark does not want to be with Diana anymore because he doesn't know if he feels the same way about her and also because he doesn't want Diana to defend him in the middle of battle. Moreover, Superman #46 had a panel where Clark mentions Mythbrawl reminds him of how things might have been with Diana if it had worked out. Implying the break up extends outside of Superman/Wonder Woman in Truth.

And I can imagine you would support a dumbfounding relationship like Superman and Koriand'r instead of trying the actually worthwhile relationship Superman has been in. Nor do I have a problem with Lois and Clark for its presentation of the classic Clark and Lois romantic dynamic in their marriage, something I've been missing for a long time in the New 52. Nonetheless, I did say in our previous conversations that I wanted New 52 Superman to stay single and not be with anyone, Lois or otherwise. Keeping Superman single should help solve the

Honestly this issue just confirms why Superman/Wonder Woman is the second worst series out of the bad bunch Truth has put out thus far. It takes the bleak, poor, tragic and edginess stuff and plays it up exponentially.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Technically they're not actually. This page from Superman #46 confirms their break up, at least other evidence contradicts it.

No Caption Provided

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It's so weird seeing that classic and iconic scene of a young Clark lifting the truck infront of the Kents mixed in with all that fight club nonsense. It looks so out of place.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@z3ro180: Technically they're not actually. This page from Superman #46 confirms their break up, at least other evidence contradicts it.

No Caption Provided

Actually it doesn't confirm anything, except that something didn't worked out.

And although Truth as been a chronological nightmare. The timelines from earlier events to more recent events seems to follow this line: Superman, Batman/Superman, Superman-WonderWoman, Action Comics.

So it's the events in Action Comics that are the most recent and the one's in Superman the oldest. And in Superman-WonderWoman they're still together. And in all other crossovers there hasn't been any mention of a breakup.

So lets not get ahead of ourselves and assume too much. And if a breakup is gonna happen it will most likely be after Truth. Not now during this confusion of a arc.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@heavenlydarkdragon said:

Too many times in the New 52 for my liking frankly. It's still bad writing that Tomasi had Superman threaten, even if baselessly, to cut someone's arm off. Those words and that scene do not look good when it's Superman who is saying those things and behaving aggressively.

When every Superman comic has included at least 1, if not all of those terms in the story, it's not exactly hard to read Truth as repeating the same approach over and over again.

Previous issues stated that Clark does not want to be with Diana anymore because he doesn't know if he feels the same way about her and also because he doesn't want Diana to defend him in the middle of battle. Moreover, Superman #46 had a panel where Clark mentions Mythbrawl reminds him of how things might have been with Diana if it had worked out. Implying the break up extends outside of Superman/Wonder Woman in Truth.

And I can imagine you would support a dumbfounding relationship like Superman and Koriand'r instead of trying the actually worthwhile relationship Superman has been in. Nor do I have a problem with Lois and Clark for its presentation of the classic Clark and Lois romantic dynamic in their marriage, something I've been missing for a long time in the New 52. Nonetheless, I did say in our previous conversations that I wanted New 52 Superman to stay single and not be with anyone, Lois or otherwise. Keeping Superman single should help solve the

Honestly this issue just confirms why Superman/Wonder Woman is the second worst series out of the bad bunch Truth has put out thus far. It takes the bleak, poor, tragic and edginess stuff and plays it up exponentially.

I defend such a action because there's nothing there to explore in Clark and Lois. We've seen it all. And what was left unexplored is being explored right now in Lois and Clark. The fanbase from those two can now see them as a family and parents. And that basically closes the circle. All that could be done was done.

Now. If he and Diana breakup, first of all Clark would need some time off. Single for at least sometime. And if the romantic side is to be explored once again, if Maxima was available then I'd much prefer them together. But seeing how they presented her, and even hinted that she's not even interested in men, I can't simply pitch her in as a option. Dr. Shay Veritas would be another good option, but again she's not available. So unless Superman goes galactic or Lourdes from Pax Galactica for some reason gets stranded on Earth, I can't also pitch her in.

Clark options besides Diana and Lois, are other woman that I honestly can't see them bringing anything worthwhile. Like Lucy Lane, that during Lobdell run had her flirtatious moments with Clark, or Cat Grant. But seeing that the teams post Lobdell didn't even troubled to explore the potential of what was started by Cat and Clark, it would be weird seeing anything romantic with those two.

The other only option that to me would be quite interesting to see, would be if a team of scientists from Kandor tested a prototype device to bring people back to their normal size and the volunteer could be a female kryptonian. That would seek out Kal for help and during their time together something romantic might rise among them. Leading to a never before explored option. Kal having a relationship with another kryptonian. There's tons of ways they can explore this. And by far it would be one of the best options, or at least the one never explored before.

But that's just if Clark and Diana are really finished. Which for now, nothing is confirmed. It's DC playing the same old tricks they've been playing even before Truth started, during the previews if you well remember.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DieHard200904

@lvenger said:

I defend such a action because there's nothing there to explore in Clark and Lois. We've seen it all. And what was left unexplored is being explored right now in Lois and Clark. The fanbase from those two can now see them as a family and parents. And that basically closes the circle. All that could be done was done.

Now. If he and Diana breakup, first of all Clark would need some time off. Single for at least sometime. And if the romantic side is to be explored once again, if Maxima was available then I'd much prefer them together. But seeing how they presented her, and even hinted that she's not even interested in men, I can't simply pitch her in as a option. Dr. Shay Veritas would be another good option, but again she's not available. So unless Superman goes galactic or Lourdes from Pax Galactica for some reason gets stranded on Earth, I can't also pitch her in.

Clark options besides Diana and Lois, are other woman that I honestly can't see them bringing anything worthwhile. Like Lucy Lane, that during Lobdell run had her flirtatious moments with Clark, or Cat Grant. But seeing that the teams post Lobdell didn't even troubled to explore the potential of what was started by Cat and Clark, it would be weird seeing anything romantic with those two.

The other only option that to me would be quite interesting to see, would be if a team of scientists from Kandor tested a prototype device to bring people back to their normal size and the volunteer could be a female kryptonian. That would seek out Kal for help and during their time together something romantic might rise among them. Leading to a never before explored option. Kal having a relationship with another kryptonian. There's tons of ways they can explore this. And by far it would be one of the best options, or at least the one never explored before.

But that's just if Clark and Diana are really finished. Which for now, nothing is confirmed. It's DC playing the same old tricks they've been playing even before Truth started, during the previews if you well remember.

Is Big Barda single and available? I mean they could actually do a genuine relationship if she was single and available rather than the lame porno flick story they did back during 1987, when Big Barda was married to Mr. Miracle.

As for Lois and Clark, they stuck in the post-crisis drama of them having, IIRC, two engagement cancellations over the course of years. Recalling how that happened, with the on and off nature before the actual marriage of Lois and Clark occurred, I have generally since then taken a cautious stance regarding if some relationship is really broken up in comics. And even then, a breakup or a cancelled engagement doesn't mean that it won't ever go back for good, or that they won't ever try it again.

I also don't see why Old Clark has to stay completely hidden and can't come out of hiding to new Clark to offer him some wisdom and "pass a torch to him".

Anyways, that's my .02

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

Actually it doesn't confirm anything, except that something didn't worked out.

And although Truth as been a chronological nightmare. The timelines from earlier events to more recent events seems to follow this line: Superman, Batman/Superman, Superman-WonderWoman, Action Comics.

So it's the events in Action Comics that are the most recent and the one's in Superman the oldest. And in Superman-WonderWoman they're still together. And in all other crossovers there hasn't been any mention of a breakup.

So lets not get ahead of ourselves and assume too much. And if a breakup is gonna happen it will most likely be after Truth. Not now during this confusion of a arc.

Um how does "hanging out with the mythbrawlers gives me a taste of what life might've been like had things worked out with Diana" not imply that Superman and Wonder Woman are no longer in a relationship in a series outside of where Superman says he doesn't love Diana anymore? If something didn't work out, that means the relationship is over, even if temporarily. I'm not saying it's done for good, I'm saying that for the purpose of Truth, Superman and Wonder Woman aren't together. The evidence supports that.

What proof is there that the timeline follows that series? Truth jumps all over the place with each series following a different plot point. Thus, in the already muddled continuity of the New 52, there isn't a way of determining which series occurs first. A reading order would have greatly helped Truth.

Again, Superman has mentioned a break up in issue #46 clear as mud so that's your point disproven.

It would be getting ahead of ourselves if one were to claim that this break up was permanent. It's an innocuous and inconspicuous way to break up Superman and Wonder Woman and I wouldn't put it past DC to put them back together. However, for the purposes of Truth, they are no longer together, definitely in Superman's mind anyway. He's actively shunning Wonder Woman and telling her he doesn't want her help throughout Truth, that indicates hostility toward Diana and the thought crossing his mind before he said it.

@azza04 said:

@lvenger: It's so weird seeing that classic and iconic scene of a young Clark lifting the truck infront of the Kents mixed in with all that fight club nonsense. It looks so out of place.

Agreed, the two clash poorly together. One is an iconic scene from Superman The Movie of timeless proportions, the other is an oddly executed parody of Mythology does WWE. It looks and sounds odd for a Superman comic to have those panels together.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's nothing to explore, why is DC releasing a Lois and Clark series where the Pre Flashpoint versions return and are married? Why is that series looking at Lois and Clark raising a son and being a family? Why has there been more development and believabilitly in one well written Lois and Clark moment than all the scenes of Superman and Wonder Woman? The answer is simple chemistry, people are far more drawn to and interested in the romance of an alien sun god falling in love with an earth woman than they are to Superman getting close with another super powered being. Each side has its defenders in the comic fanbase but in the general audiences, they think Superman falls in love with Lois Lane. It's far more hasty and erroneous on your part to claim everything's been done with Clark and Lois when there is still ways of retelling the story.

The whole point of Maxima's infatuation with Superman is because she wants him as a mate to provide her empire with strong and powerful children whereas Superman doesn't want to be in a relationship like that. That was how the Maxima/Superman relationship worked before so even if they retconned the implied lesbian hint Maxima gave in Supergirl, I don't see how they would work as a couple. What's the appeal with Shay Veritas and Lourdes either? The latter was a one time character with limited dimensions to her personality whereas the former is just a work colleague who is also sometimes a bit fearful of Superman. Not the preconditions for a romance there.

The Lucy Lane potential would be very weird once Clark and Lois inevitably get together as they obviously will in the New 52 regardless of whether a few dissenters like yourself like it or not. Cat would be weird since there wasn't a flirty quality to their relationship when they ran their blog. The only other person who I would be fine with Clark dating is Lana Lang but she's with Steel so that's a no go too. I

Firstly Kandor isn't in a position to be utilised at the moment in the New 52 DCU for anything story wise. And secondly I find your Female Kandorian proposal to be honestly lazy, plot convenient and rather cliche if I'm being frank. Again not only does it run the risk of Superman being alienated from spending time with other people (like his relationship with Wonder Woman has led to Superman spend more time among superhumans than he does with normal humans) but it takes the focus away from Clark's supporting cast. Which, as Truth has shown, need to be treated and respected right for the Superman line to go through successful world building.

As I have shown in citing that Superman 46 page and what's happened in SM/WW, they are finished for now during Truth. I'm not naive to Superman suddenly changing his mind about being with Diana once Truth is up though, that could happen once Superman gets his powers, and hopefully his SiD back. It would be a regressive reversal instead of the positive ones that the first two would be for Superman in my opinion.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

If there's nothing to explore, why is DC releasing a Lois and Clark series where the Pre Flashpoint versions return and are married? Why is that series looking at Lois and Clark raising a son and being a family? Why has there been more development and believabilitly in one well written Lois and Clark moment than all the scenes of Superman and Wonder Woman? The answer is simple chemistry, people are far more drawn to and interested in the romance of an alien sun god falling in love with an earth woman than they are to Superman getting close with another super powered being. Each side has its defenders in the comic fanbase but in the general audiences, they think Superman falls in love with Lois Lane. It's far more hasty and erroneous on your part to claim everything's been done with Clark and Lois when there is still ways of retelling the story.

The whole point of Maxima's infatuation with Superman is because she wants him as a mate to provide her empire with strong and powerful children whereas Superman doesn't want to be in a relationship like that. That was how the Maxima/Superman relationship worked before so even if they retconned the implied lesbian hint Maxima gave in Supergirl, I don't see how they would work as a couple. What's the appeal with Shay Veritas and Lourdes either? The latter was a one time character with limited dimensions to her personality whereas the former is just a work colleague who is also sometimes a bit fearful of Superman. Not the preconditions for a romance there.

The Lucy Lane potential would be very weird once Clark and Lois inevitably get together as they obviously will in the New 52 regardless of whether a few dissenters like yourself like it or not. Cat would be weird since there wasn't a flirty quality to their relationship when they ran their blog. The only other person who I would be fine with Clark dating is Lana Lang but she's with Steel so that's a no go too. I

Firstly Kandor isn't in a position to be utilised at the moment in the New 52 DCU for anything story wise. And secondly I find your Female Kandorian proposal to be honestly lazy, plot convenient and rather cliche if I'm being frank. Again not only does it run the risk of Superman being alienated from spending time with other people (like his relationship with Wonder Woman has led to Superman spend more time among superhumans than he does with normal humans) but it takes the focus away from Clark's supporting cast. Which, as Truth has shown, need to be treated and respected right for the Superman line to go through successful world building.

As I have shown in citing that Superman 46 page and what's happened in SM/WW, they are finished for now during Truth. I'm not naive to Superman suddenly changing his mind about being with Diana once Truth is up though, that could happen once Superman gets his powers, and hopefully his SiD back. It would be a regressive reversal instead of the positive ones that the first two would be for Superman in my opinion.

Okay. Here's a few questions then.

Why make Lois and Clark now? Why not months ago or more than a year ago? They didn't need Convergence to do that. No. They chose that the N52 is going through its worst phase yet, and then brought back those two.

You say their marriage and kid brought new stuff. Okay... Then to someone that's been following Superman for +20 years, please tell me, what's new about Lois and Clark in comparison to everything else that's happened? What makes it so groundbreaking? What would that comic teach me, that I already don't know about Kal and Lois?

You say that it's inevitable that Kal and Diana are gonna breakup. You even go to the length of confirming something that's not even confirmed. You read something, interpreted it your way, as you wanted and that makes it so... I'd say you're the one reaching here. Specially seeing that Truth crossovers have been less than forthcoming in details. One moment Clark is in the Mythbrawl trying to find anything he can about Wraith and HORDR, and in Action Comics we see him not only finding Wraith but defeating her. In Superman-WonderWoman they breakout Parasite to find out where all the power that's been stolen was, and they go to find Vandal son. All things that are clearly after what's happening in the Mythbrawl.

And how do we know this?! Because in that issue of Superman he's also wandering about Wraith effects on him and how much he's change, while in Action Comics we see him not only beating Wraith but also learning to see pass his rage. To focus it and use it.

So lets do ourselves both a favor. I won't dismiss your theory of the breakup and you won't dismiss what I'm saying. Because honestly at this point it's starting to look that we're butting heads for the pleasure of it. And trust me. I get no pleasure out of it. It just annoys me a little.

Has for Maxima and any other love potential I keep every word I said. Even when you referred to Maxima you were talking about modern age Maxima. That Maxima died a long time ago. This Maxima can still be redone in the right way.

Honestly I'd really like to know what you see in the Clois relationship, that's there to explore. Because the main reason I read just one issue of Lois and Clark and drop it, was because not only it seemed like a cheap shot doing it know, and doing it in Earth-0 of all places, but it felt and read like a closure story for fans that needed closure on those two pre-Flashpoint relationship. Something I don't need. You may not call it a cheap shot, but looking at the time it was done, and the fact DC didn't chose another Earth, like for example Earth-2 that's lacking a Superman and living Lois, it speaks volumes of this move by DC.

I know it, you know it, heck, everyone knows it at this point.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Okay. Here's a few questions then.

Why make Lois and Clark now? Why not months ago or more than a year ago? They didn't need Convergence to do that. No. They chose that the N52 is going through its worst phase yet, and then brought back those two.

You say their marriage and kid brought new stuff. Okay... Then to someone that's been following Superman for +20 years, please tell me, what's new about Lois and Clark in comparison to everything else that's happened? What makes it so groundbreaking? What would that comic teach me, that I already don't know about Kal and Lois?

You say that it's inevitable that Kal and Diana are gonna breakup. You even go to the length of confirming something that's not even confirmed. You read something, interpreted it your way, as you wanted and that makes it so... I'd say you're the one reaching here. Specially seeing that Truth crossovers have been less than forthcoming in details. One moment Clark is in the Mythbrawl trying to find anything he can about Wraith and HORDR, and in Action Comics we see him not only finding Wraith but defeating her. In Superman-WonderWoman they breakout Parasite to find out where all the power that's been stolen was, and they go to find Vandal son. All things that are clearly after what's happening in the Mythbrawl.

And how do we know this?! Because in that issue of Superman he's also wandering about Wraith effects on him and how much he's change, while in Action Comics we see him not only beating Wraith but also learning to see pass his rage. To focus it and use it.

So lets do ourselves both a favor. I won't dismiss your theory of the breakup and you won't dismiss what I'm saying. Because honestly at this point it's starting to look that we're butting heads for the pleasure of it. And trust me. I get no pleasure out of it. It just annoys me a little.

Has for Maxima and any other love potential I keep every word I said. Even when you referred to Maxima you were talking about modern age Maxima. That Maxima died a long time ago. This Maxima can still be redone in the right way.

Honestly I'd really like to know what you see in the Clois relationship, that's there to explore. Because the main reason I read just one issue of Lois and Clark and drop it, was because not only it seemed like a cheap shot doing it know, and doing it in Earth-0 of all places, but it felt and read like a closure story for fans that needed closure on those two pre-Flashpoint relationship. Something I don't need. You may not call it a cheap shot, but looking at the time it was done, and the fact DC didn't chose another Earth, like for example Earth-2 that's lacking a Superman and living Lois, it speaks volumes of this move by DC.

I know it, you know it, heck, everyone knows it at this point.

If Maxima has to be redone for her to be in a romance with Clark then why cant Lois and Clark's romance be redone? Different jobs, different personalities, etc.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By suemorphplus209

@heavenlydarkdragon: It would make some more sense to me if Old Clark met young Clark, offered him some advice, and did some torch passing. I mean, maybe he can teach him something, because it feels like that is a purpose for an alternate Superman who grew up with the Kents and some guidance from Jor-El, help a younger one with far less of the same in the DCYou. I hope this is what happens, but editorial is fickle. And if there is someone upstairs, that someone sure doesn't mess with our lives like comic editors do, but then again we might be living in an Elseworlds universe :)

Who knows, maybe old Superman might go to Earth 2 or something when his purpose is accomplished.

But comics are a mess, real life is better.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no knowledge about Angle Man at all, but I take it he wasn't the son of Vandal previously?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288:

If Maxima has to be redone for her to be in a romance with Clark then why cant Lois and Clark's romance be redone? Different jobs, different personalities, etc.

Well. Maxima would only need to look a little older, so not to look like Kal was dating someone his cousin age, and maybe they could elaborate on her sexuality and make her for example a bisexual.

Lois and Clark could work but it won't work. Here's why. For Clark and Lois to work again, they would need to be put in completely different roles.

Time and time again I've said I'd like to see Kal help/save the world as both Clark and Superman. Something that also never been done before. Recently I started reading Iron Man post Secret Wars, by advice from a friend. It hasn't really picked my interest has a comic but one thing I did liked. The interactions between Tony and this gorgeous brilliant woman that's also a scientist called Amara Perera. I looked at those and thought to myself "Well this could be something that could/should happen to Clark".

Just imagine things this way. Instead of placing Clark and Lois in the same role over and over again, why not change things!? Like Clark instead of being a reporter he would be the owner and founder of his own tech and bio R&D company. One of the best and biggest in the world. And Lois could be one the main owners of the Daily Planet. She'd still be a Pulitzer winning journalist but she'd also have other responsibilities, the same for Clark. And it would be her interest for Clark Kent, the mysterious genius philanthropist, that would spike her attention. Superman would be interesting for sure, but she'd never look at Superman in a romantic way. It would be Clark Kent that would not only challenge her intellectually but also in terms of personality.

They could start out as him being kind of her secret obsession, while she tried to discover if he truly was this good man or just another megalomaniac lile Lex, they'd butt heads from time to time, even argue, but from the interactions between the two a mutual respect would rise, from that respect friendship, and from the friendship love.

But again I can't stress enough how important it would be to put those two in completely different roles. After all if we want something new about those two, DC can't simply keep putting them in the same situations over and over again, make them fall in love just because, like if there was no other people in the world for either of them. This to me would be adamant if DC ever wishes to see me support Clark and Lois as a couple once again.

@suemorphplus209 said:

It would make some more sense to me if Old Clark met young Clark, offered him some advice, and did some torch passing. I mean, maybe he can teach him something, because it feels like that is a purpose for an alternate Superman who grew up with the Kents and some guidance from Jor-El, help a younger one with far less of the same in the DCYou. I hope this is what happens, but editorial is fickle. And if there is someone upstairs, that someone sure doesn't mess with our lives like comic editors do, but then again we might be living in an Elseworlds universe :)

Who knows, maybe old Superman might go to Earth 2 or something when his purpose is accomplished.

But comics are a mess, real life is better.

They could interact in that way. And it would be interesting to see how both versions would handle each other perspective on one another.

But besides from giving Earth-0 Kal a few lessons on how to use his powers in a more efficient way, and give him a rundown on what happened on pre-Flashpoint Kal life and the choices he made, there's not much there for those two.

It's like I said before. Earth-0 was a very poor choice and one that has I see it isn't bringing anything good or new to the table. Having them adapt to Earth-2 new status quo, would've been far more interesting to see.

That or Earth-10. Now that would've been awesome! The nazi Superman versus the American Superman.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288:

Well. Maxima would only need to look a little older, so not to look like Kal was dating someone his cousin age, and maybe they could elaborate on her sexuality and make her for example a bisexual.

Lois and Clark could work but it won't work. Here's why. For Clark and Lois to work again, they would need to be put in completely different roles.

Time and time again I've said I'd like to see Kal help/save the world as both Clark and Superman. Something that also never been done before. Recently I started reading Iron Man post Secret Wars, by advice from a friend. It hasn't really picked my interest has a comic but one thing I did liked. The interactions between Tony and this gorgeous brilliant woman that's also a scientist called Amara Perera. I looked at those and thought to myself "Well this could be something that could/should happen to Clark".

Just imagine things this way. Instead of placing Clark and Lois in the same role over and over again, why not change things!? Like Clark instead of being a reporter he would be the owner and founder of his own tech and bio R&D company. One of the best and biggest in the world. And Lois could be one the main owners of the Daily Planet. She'd still be a Pulitzer winning journalist but she'd also have other responsibilities, the same for Clark. And it would be her interest for Clark Kent, the mysterious genius philanthropist, that would spike her attention. Superman would be interesting for sure, but she'd never look at Superman in a romantic way. It would be Clark Kent that would not only challenge her intellectually but also in terms of personality.

They could start out as him being kind of her secret obsession, while she tried to discover if he truly was this good man or just another megalomaniac lile Lex, they'd butt heads from time to time, even argue, but from the interactions between the two a mutual respect would rise, from that respect friendship, and from the friendship love.

But again I can't stress enough how important it would be to put those two in completely different roles. After all if we want something new about those two, DC can't simply keep putting them in the same situations over and over again, make them fall in love just because, like if there was no other people in the world for either of them. This to me would be adamant if DC ever wishes to see me support Clark and Lois as a couple once again.

It sounds good although you are turning Clark into Batman, Ironman, and Green Arrow. I have a few ideas. One is that Clark is still a reporter but Lois is works for the district attorney's office as an ADA. Clark does expose` on various social injustices gaining Lois's admiration. She doesn't trust Superman all that much. Another is that Clark is still the reporter but Lois is a supergenius who is very out there. She figures out Clark is Superman but plays along with it not telling she knows. And finally Clark comes to Earth as an adult, with Lois still being a reporter. to summarize Lex finds out about Clark, tries to catch him. Lois tags along. Clark saves the world. Government creates the Clark Kent id Lois acts as his guide to humanity.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By suemorphplus209

@heavenlydarkdragon: Nazi Justice League lol! I remember that story!

But I was thinking a short crossover where old Pre-Flashpoint Clark runs into DCYou Clark and they interact because the young Clark realizes that this is some AU version of himself older. Or perhaps the old one sees someone in trouble and rescues him only to realize it's the Superman of this universe, but I would hope the interaction is short, like you said, just part of an issue. And the old Superman simply leaves the message that his fate is up to him to decide for himself, like Earth-22 Superman said in The Kingdom or JSA - Thy Kingdom Come.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288:

It sounds good although you are turning Clark into Batman, Ironman, and Green Arrow.

I never understood the comparison. Both Bruce and Oliver have little contributions with their intelligence. In Bruce's case it's Lucious Fox that's the real brain behind it all, as for Oliver... Not a fan so can't say anything here.

Either way I'm not saying make Clark a billionaire playboy that's a superhero part-time or whatever. Clark would have a active role in the development of new tech to help mankind go forward.

We could even have Lex at one point trying to convince Clark to join forces with him, to rid the world of the Superman threat, and show that the real heroes, are normal human beings like them. Now this would be a priceless moment.

Also we could stop seeing Superman go to Bruce everytime he needs to have something analyzed. Because that's becoming really irritating.

Clark would bring forth technology the world could absorb and use safely. While Superman dealt with the superpowered menaces.

I can only speak of Bruce because I've been following him for almost as long as Superman. But Bruce is more the philanthropist that gives to charity, builds hospitals, and finances other people research. But he doesn't really builds anything. Or at least he hasn't been shown doing it for quite some years now. The tech is supplied to him by other sources and he uses them to his advantage.

I'd make my Clark Kent, the mind behind almost every tech being developed, we'd see him working on equations, designs, even studying the world news. He wouldn't be one to make parties to hide his secret identity, nor would he parade or pretend to be a billionaire playboy fool. He'd act like any normal human that had an amazing IQ.

And this to me is neither Bruce or Oliver. Maybe Michael Holt aka Mr Terrific, but definitely not Bruce or Oliver.