• 61 results
#1 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

If the wait for the new issue of Superman Unchained is still too long, even if it does come out on Wednesday, feast your eyes on this new preview from Newsarama. I've only had a brief glimpse of it but believe me, it's written MUCH better than the last issue. Superman's actually concerned about people and property damage for one which is a good sign Snyder will be writing the caring Superman over the angry one of the last issue. Anyway go to the link above for the preview and feast your eyes on this alternate/new cover for the issue

#2 Posted by ComicStooge (17121 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Lex is being written here.

The cold, calculating, snake in the grass, scheming-in-the-shadows sort of Luthor (similar to Red Son) is my favourite interpretation of the character. :D

#3 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: You told me you were going to wait for the trade of this series. Have you been following it all this time? :P And yeah I like how Lex is written here too. He can be written in many different ways from misguided genius to cold emotionless monster to critical and ruthless businessman. There are so many facets to Lex's character.

#4 Posted by ComicStooge (17121 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@comicstooge: You told me you were going to wait for the trade of this series. Have you been following it all this time? :P And yeah I like how Lex is written here too. He can be written in many different ways from misguided genius to cold emotionless monster to critical and ruthless businessman. There are so many facets to Lex's character.

I'm not currently following the series. I do intend to buy the trades for the series as soon as they are made/arrive in Australia.

Just basing it off the preview scans I saw though, I'm liking Synder's Lex Luthor.

#5 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1661 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving Lex, both this preview and the one for FE #3 really portray him well.

Though i'm liking how Snyder is writing Superman( COME ON THEN! COME ON! aside) I have some major gripes with somethings being written here in the series, one of which is very evident in this preview itself. I'll elaborate more when the issue comes out.

#6 Posted by Squalleon (6952 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Preview.
Snyder's style of allegorical dialogue matches Luthor's character perfectly.

#7 Posted by SanoHibiki (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh…

From one side, I glad that this far too long period of delay is coming near the end;

from other – if entire sub plotline of Ascension going to be centered around “Evil Russians” again, I will be severely disappointed in Snyder...

Through must admit, Lex playing with action figures is amusing sight.

#8 Edited by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: Ah OK I see.

@ultimatesmfan The only major problems from the series came in issue 3 for me. What other ones are you referring to?

@sanohibiki I think you might be misunderstanding the plot a bit. Ascension aren't Russian based villains at all. They're a group of cyber Terrorists who use technology to wreak havoc in order to show that it's 'evil' and stuff like that. The Russian robots in this issue were hacked into by Ascension to use on Tokyo and Superman.

#9 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1661 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Nothing story related,been enjoying that so far but rather his vulnerabilities, his suit's vulnerabilities, over competence of human tech, It's an argument that has been made before but there are things that are inconsistent with the other super books. Like i said, i'll go into more detail after the issue is out to make sure i'm not missing something.

#10 Edited by SanoHibiki (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

Ascension aren't Russian based villains at all. They're a group of cyber Terrorists who use technology to wreak havoc in order to show that it's 'evil' and stuff like that.

Sorry, but are you sure?

I have impression that in DC Universe level of technological development on Earth is very high (especially in comparison with our reality), so bunch of Cyber terrorists can easily hack into some secret Japanese robots on some hidden base. Why bother with Russian models and smuggle them in Tokyo to ambush Superman?

Anyway, I hope you’re right. It’s been a while since I read Unchained (Lee surely likes to bide his time) so I am a little hazy on details. Hmm… Probably should reread previous issues.

UltimateSMfan:

over competence of human tech

That bothered me too for a while, then I decide that this is reverse-engineered alien tech (gift from Wraith, so to say), so I calmed a little. What I disliked more – its small inconsistencies like that one : in the end of second issue Supes looked half-dead, in much pain and with half of his face in blood, then in the beginning of third issue blood somehow disappeared, Superman looks somewhat stunned but not by any means wounded.

#11 Edited by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki: There's no reference to Ascension belonging to a specific nationality. Their members are hidden by digital masks of Ned Ludd anyway so there's no indication they're from the same nationality. In any case, I don't think the evil Russian plot is coming into play. Snyder's had the Americas, Russians and Japanese collaborating on a space station that fell out of space which Superman destroyed in the first issue. And yes technological development is much higher in the comics than it is in reality though not enough to cure terminal illness or anything too realistic like that.

#12 Edited by SanoHibiki (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

Sorry for raising it in the first place. Just reread previous issues of Unchained.

Somehow I got in my head that Ascension is some shady military off-shot branch with silent support of main forces, so when in middle of Tokyo some Russian robots attacked Supes (and add to that that when I hear the word “Japan”- I getting the association “robots”, so I found it strange that hackers didn’t find some home-made toys to play), I jumped to conclusion.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding. With that out of the way, I can without concerns wait for release of forth issue.

#13 Edited by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki: No problem, I had to re-check the issues too just to see if I was right.

#14 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Thanks dude your right I do want to see this but the down side to havering an ipad is that most launchers that have previews don't work. So the long wait to Wednesday begins.

#16 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Alread saw this but thanks for pointing me towards a thread made for it. It looks extremely good, I'm loving Snyder's portrayal of Lex. But the wait has been long and it seems that issue 5 will be coming out December 31 almost 2 months after this issue...Lee is pressing on my nerves with these delays.

#17 Edited by broo1232 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Lee hasn't being putting his best into this series, or he's just not as good, but this is what I want it looks incredible.

#18 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1501 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I completely agree. I've really liked the first three issues, but the delays are killing my anticipation for each one. I go from excited to anticipating to whatever, when it finally gets here I guess I'll read it. I don't think issue 6 is solicited for January either. I guess it's going to be a bimonthly at best book.

#19 Edited by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainhoopla: Exactly and that really peeves me. At least I'll have Pak's Action to keep me satisfied with Superman. Superman Unchained #6 is coming out January 29 atm but that could change..time will tell.

#20 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: Indeed and an even longer wait for my online subscription to send me the issue :/

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (15910 posts) - - Show Bio

I was telling myself that I shouldn't be excited for the issue but with Wednesday getting closer and closer I cannot wait to get my hands on the issue.

#22 Posted by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by Captain13 (4338 posts) - - Show Bio

At least the arc is only 9 issues, so the long waits will not happen forever--at least if Lee leaves the title like I expect him to. I am just happy there are no fill in artists. This is my favorite Superman story since Superman: Birthright.

Based on the solicit, do you guys think we will be getting some cameos again? I'd like to see Superman lead/delegate tasks again.

#24 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: I think the Justice League might be showing up in next week's issue based on the solicits too. As for other cameos, Snyder has said that the story after his and Lee's arc deals with some current continuity going on in the Superman Family though I'm not sure what that is specifically. Snyder has also said that he and Lee are still in discussions as to whether they'll do another story in this series since it's confirmed as a ongoing and not a limited series. Perhaps some other creative team will do an arc but I foresee Snyder and Lee joining up again based on hints. They both liked working together so it isn't off the cards for certain.

And really, your favourite Superman story since Birthright? Between this and Van Jensen's work on John Stewart in GLC, this must be a good time for you in reading comics. I must admit I haven't enjoyed Superman like this in a while ;)

#26 Edited by Captain13 (4338 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Yup! My top 2 are finally being written the way they should be--and it's happening simultaneously. =]

This arc just reminds me of some of the stuff I saw when I watched Bruce Timm's Superman series as a tyke.

It's just really cool syfy and a cool aesthetic for our noble Superman. I prefer him like this--just a little more down to earth (if that makes sense). No pixies or 70s retreads. If this 9 issue arc holds up, I'll start a petition for WB Animation to translate this into a two-part adaptation. A man can dream, can't he? Especially when a book like this gives him hope. =]

It would be cool to see War World (could translate to a game series) or Volcana, Livewire, Atomic Skull, Magog, Manchester Black, or the Nuclear Man down the line. What would you like to see?

#27 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: The angry scene in issue 3 rubbed me the wrong way otherwise I know what you mean. He is more down to earth whilst displaying some of the more classic characteristics of Superman. Lee's artwork is simply gorgeous as per usual too. I might just sign that petition if this arc is a good one.

Personally, I'd like a good Metallo or Bizarro arc to show why they're classic formidable foes of Superman's. I would agree on War World but Pak's bagsied that in Batman/Superman so having it again in Unchained seems unlikely. In wishful thinking terms, a well done Gog story would be awesome too.

#28 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#29 Posted by Super_Phil (121 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: loving the series atm despite the huge wait on what I thought was suppose to be a monthly series. I guess snyder is busy (with this, batman, wake.... And probably more batman) plus Lee takes ages to do art but u can't blame him when it looks as good as it does. Plus as you said Lvenger after this arc I would love a bizarro story in particular, just seems like he hasn't been seen much apart from maybe one issue of superman and forever evil.

#30 Edited by Squalleon (6952 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: How dare you espresso an opinion about Supermans costume. Fore shame.

#32 Edited by Squalleon (6952 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: Well i was never a fan of it :-P

#33 Edited by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Squalleon (6952 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: NO FOILED BY MY COMPLEX PLAN NNOOOOOOOOO

#36 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan:@theincrediblesuperhulk8642:@z3ro180:@lvenger:Just throwing it out there Newsrama has a preview of Forever evil 3 and shows the new bizarro (who by the way has a better suit than Superman :-P ) and his dynamic with Luthor http://www.newsarama.com/19463-forever-evil-3-preview.html

Already saw it. Looks good not sure how he has a better suit than Superman it's pretty much the same. Supes New 52 look is very good it's pretty much the classic version but with lines and no underwear. Ultraman has a better look though.

#37 Edited by ForeverEvil (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

whats the deal with this? its not canon is it?

#38 Posted by ForeverEvil (4887 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Squalleon (6952 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon said:

@ultimatesmfan:@theincrediblesuperhulk8642:@z3ro180:@lvenger:Just throwing it out there Newsrama has a preview of Forever evil 3 and shows the new bizarro (who by the way has a better suit than Superman :-P ) and his dynamic with Luthor http://www.newsarama.com/19463-forever-evil-3-preview.html

Already saw it. Looks good not sure how he has a better suit than Superman it's pretty much the same. Supes New 52 look is very good it's pretty much the classic version but with lines and no underwear. Ultraman has a better look though.

Well the lines and collar is what i don't like in the new 52 costume and Bizzaro's costume lack those.

#40 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@squalleon said:

Well the lines and collar is what i don't like in the new 52 costume and Bizzaro's costume lack those.

The Lines and Collar aren't that bad I don't understand why people are making a big deal about those. That just may be how Finch Draws him or the inker doesn't do his job correctly.

#41 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: then you need an android device. Launcher works fine on my galaxy ;-)

#42 Posted by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: I wouldn't say better, just more simplistic in design. When done right, the New 52 costume can look really good. It just needs consistency which is hard to achieve due to the piping.

@lvenger:

@foreverevil said:

whats the deal with this? its not canon is it?

I believe it is. In the first issue, Clark is an independent blogger rather than a Daily Planet news reporter so it ties into what Lobdell did with Clark quitting the Daily Planet. Lois is now a reporter rather than a stupid TV producer which didn't suit her skills at all. And Batman seems to be lacking Damian indicating this takes place after Damian's death. Plus Lex is still in prison so maybe this takes place before Trinity War.

#44 Posted by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: the issue comes out tomorrow but I can't shake the feeling that DC will pull an EA and delay the issue again

#45 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: Lee's on track now and given that they've changed the cover to what the issue cover will actually be, I'm almost certain they won't delay it again. They've delayed it for 2+ months now, that should be more than enough time to get the issue to print :)

#46 Edited by Wolverine08 (48218 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex looks badass on that cover.

#47 Posted by toptom (1384 posts) - - Show Bio

the art is wonderfull and the story is getting better with each number... but there is one thing that bothers me a little: i haven't any problems with human tech that is able to hurt Superman but how in the hell a human projectile can burn a hole into a kryptonian battle armor which was told to be indestructible many times over? (however can't wait for it, that was just my nerd self speaking)

#48 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1661 posts) - - Show Bio

So I call Bull$#!%. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the Issue, the direction of the story, the art, Lex the most,but this really irked me. I'm fine with the whole 'red sun bullets' stuff but why the hell did it go through his indestructible armor? Wraith even says it weakens the skin. I mean couldn't the bullets have gone through his palm or gashed the side of his neck? that would make more sense without needlessly weakening him. Just last week in Action annual 2 the armor slows the effect of the red sun on clark and contains the energy left within him.

Consistency DC!!!

Concerning the last two pages, Superman should not have to use the doors of an armored car to ram through anything. If his suit were written correctly he could just hold his forearms in front of his face and do the same.

I like Scott Snyder, he's a good writer who really likes to put his protagonists through the wringer, Batman's a testament to that but with Superman, you have to think bigger and not weaken him to forward the story( Yes empowering humanity sooo much essentially weakens him) IMO making him weaker takes away from the whole Super part. You don't need to deliberately do that to tell a good story ( like i said above, bullets shoud've affected bare skin) So many writers have avoided weakening him,Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Mark waid, Joe kelly...

It might be a small complaint for some but it really irritates me.

Plus can't help but think that Lex Luthor's thoughts are flawed, if the world is so ready for superman what stops them from being ready for other alien threats? Can't be Superman, cause then humanity would be using that stupid excuse as well, we were so worried about the one bee in the house we didn't see the swarm outside...

Anyway for now im just going to enjoy the story and the art and not pay attention to these types of things, unless they're written well.

P.S- Loved Action this week, I mean woah it was Awesome!

#49 Posted by Lvenger (23567 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1661 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Sorry if I spoiled it for you. Just ignore the above post till you read it.