#1 Edited by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

This is how much Superman can bench press, this is his one rep max: ten septillion pounds. I did the math to figure it out.

#2 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

Show us the calculations!

#3 Posted by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: There is so many parts of the caculations that I cant remember, it took me a very long time to figure it out, but I promise, I did it right.

#4 Posted by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

B.U.M.P

#5 Posted by Mr_Winchester (710 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: There is so many parts of the caculations that I cant remember, it took me a very long time to figure it out, but I promise, I did it right.

Compelling evidence sir.

#6 Edited by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

This goes in the Superman forum

#7 Posted by Dzhak (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Do a blog about it, man! Take us step by step through the process. We could do for loads of characters! Then make them line up and compete. Then make them all swap weights and see who is instantly crushed. It'll be a laugh.

#8 Edited by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

@dzhak: @mr_winchester: Guys, it literally took me like 2 hours because I kept on making mistakes, but I finally got it. Sorry for not remembering how I did it, but please believe me, I promise I did it right.

#9 Edited by AllStarSuperman (23011 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool that you took the time to do it. But you should probably show us how.

#10 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1316 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing737 said:

Compelling evidence sir.

Lol. Seems so legit

#11 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (485 posts) - - Show Bio

I want VSauce on this right now.

#12 Posted by Mr_Winchester (710 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing737: I'm curious as to how how you did these calculations, surely you must've written some of it down no?

#13 Edited by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems legit.

#14 Posted by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: I forgot, please read the posts that I put before you start posting.

#16 Edited by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: I forgot, please read the posts that I put before you start posting.

You went on to the internet, claimed to have proved some theory, and then refused to show any evidence. What were you expecting the results of that would be?

#17 Posted by JMG (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225 said:

@nightwing737 said:

You went on to the internet, claimed to have proved some theory, and then refused to show any evidence. What were you expecting the results of that would be?

I believe they call it pseudo science

#18 Posted by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225:
Man, I am trying to be nice. I figured it out and then I didn't even think about giving evidence, because I figured people would trust me. But obviously not. So if you don't believe me, don't post.

#19 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you factor in Blue sunlight, white sunlight, sun dipping, wind pressure, time of day, time of year, age, testosterone level (don't lift right after happy time), who is writing him, diet, dumbbell vs barbell, supplements taken before working out, time between doing that excerise, warmup conditions, previous injuries, additional algebraic/physics equations that actually cancel each other out but make you look brilliant in front of the unsuspecting, etc... ???

#20 Edited by nightwing737 (1103 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: You just made yourself sound like a jerk.

#21 Posted by RustyRoy (14031 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#22 Edited by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is terrible. In an effort to turn it around, I'll go ahead and try and figure this stuff out myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-repetition_maximum

^ that's where I'm going to get the one-rep max formula from. I'm using the Epley Formula to be exact.

The weight of the Earth is approximately 5.972e+24 kg (courtesy of Google). Superman said that he benched the weight of the Earth for 5 days without breaking a sweat, so I'm assuming that he's capable of performing one rep per second. My reasoning behind this is that I'm capable of bench pressing that quickly with my warm-up weight (135 lbs or 61.23 kg).

W = 5.972E24 kg

r = 86,400

1RM = 8.6002772e+28 kg or 1.89603656692902469e+29 lbs

There you go, that's an approximation of New 52 Superman's one rep max. Oh, and it's probably wrong because so many assumptions are involved and we're talking about a comic book character. You're welcome, OP.

#23 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak: 1) Good work at least coming up with something. 2) The scientist in the issue does say to actually test Superman's limits she would need to tap into a trans-dimensional wormhole, so his limits realistically exceed real world calculation.

#24 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing737:

I'm telling you add "10x^3/y" at the start, "y/(5x)^2" in the middle and "5/2x" at the end of every equation (ensure all are on the same side of the '=' sign and only separated by the multiplication function).

#25 Edited by Transformaa (289 posts) - - Show Bio

shyt..i can lift 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.1 pounds too...so im stronger than kal el lol..but that's combining both of our powers together as one lol

#26 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we please stop with all this I did the math crap and just enjoy the character.

#27 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak: Kudos, OP should learn something from that example

1) Good work at least coming up with something. 2) The scientist in the issue does say to actually test Superman's limits she would need to tap into a trans-dimensional wormhole, so his limits realistically exceed real world calculation.

this

#28 Posted by consolemaster001 (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

ok