• 75 results
#1 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who expected Man of Steel to completely kick Superman Returns ass in both the critical and monetary arena? Reviews are still trickling in, but this has me mentally preparing for a letdown that I wasn't preparing for previously.

Superman Returns - 76% RT

Man of Steel - 71% RT

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: I prefer to make up my own mind about movies after seeing them. I know I've loved many movies that critics hated and vice versa.

#3 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't prepare for a letdown.

It's Rotten Tomatoes. As I said before, "Rotten Tomatoes is filled of "professional" reviewers with their heads so far up their ass with expectations, they just can't have fun with anything.".

I don't ever check their site. I'm waiting till the movie comes out. For example, me and my friends thought Great Gatsby was done great! 52 on Rotten Tomatoes. They don't matter. They should never matter.

Oz The Great And Powerful. Loved it. A few You Tube reviewers also enjoyed it. 59 on Rotten Tomatoes. Just ignore them. Sorry if I'm going on a rant, but I hate those bastards so much. Some people are actually convinced to think a movie is bad from their site.

#4 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Eh, I understand that. But frankly I can't think of too many sub 50% movies that I'd call good. Not that we're dealing with that here, mind you.

Perhaps it'll be decisively better, perhaps not. Man of Steel does need to kick all kinds of ass with the public though if WB is going to produce more DC movies.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: Superman returns wasn't really that bad a movie, they just tried too hard to be the old Christopher Reeve movies instead of trying to do their own thing and it just didn't feel right and the end was bad.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (23941 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at taking RT seriously.

#7 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

It only has 40 reviews dude. It can go down or up. You just have to wait...

That being said. RT scored The Hobbit at 65% and I enjoyed the film for what it was. Also, that movie made it to a billion. But given that the stakes were higher in this movie( The whole DC cinematic universe), I really want it to get higher.

#8 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_:

@reignmaker: Superman returns wasn't really that bad a movie, they just tried too hard to be the old Christopher Reeve movies instead of trying to do their own thing and it just didn't feel right and the end was bad.

That's pretty much how I felt about it too.

Lol at taking RT seriously.

WB's execs are. It's secondary to money of course, but you know they're paying attention.

@sandman_ said:

It only has 40 reviews dude. It can go down or up. You just have to wait...

That being said. RT scored The Hobbit at 65% and I enjoyed the film for what it was. Also, that movie made it to a billion. But given that the stakes were higher in this movie( The whole DC cinematic universe), I really want it to get higher.

I loved the Hobbit too. I'm a sucker for Jackson's middle earth though. Yeah, I'm only nervous because of what it means for the rest of the DC's Hollywood future.

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Since most modern critics only really seem to like the cinematic equivalent of tranquilizers I tend to disagree with them.

#10 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: I'm pretty sure Man Of Steel will be awesome. It has only gotten bad reviews because some critics believed they where going to see Donnerman in the screen. I guess the word ''REBOOT'' lost meaning for them.

#11 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

GASP!

Subjective opinions are now becoming facts!?

#12 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Another thread about MOS early score on Rotten Tomatoes?.......

#13 Edited by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Rotten Tomatoes. As I said before, "Rotten Tomatoes is filled of "professional" reviewers with their heads so far up their ass with expectations, they just can't have fun with anything.".

I don't ever check their site. I'm waiting till the movie comes out. For example, me and my friends thought Great Gatsby was done great! 52 on Rotten Tomatoes. They don't matter. They should never matter.

Oz The Great And Powerful. Loved it. A few You Tube reviewers also enjoyed it. 59 on Rotten Tomatoes. Just ignore them. Sorry if I'm going on a rant, but I hate those bastards so much. Some people are actually convinced to think a movie is bad from their site.

Well put. Great advice.

#14 Posted by Superboy101 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would you let someone else's opinion dictate whether you enjoy a movie or not? Go see it and i'm sure you'll enjoy it! People are to smug these days and so critical they can't enjoy anything...

#15 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by Perethorn (3346 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie hasnt come out yet, the reviews are not for worry.

#17 Posted by Z3RO180 (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

I have said it once and ill say it again the day I listen to rotten tomatoes is the day I bear hug an angry bear

#18 Posted by ColaNicole (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it still works out 7/10 for both. If returns was released now it would be panned as where if MOS was released in 2006 it would do better. People are tired of big action blockbusters. I'm fine with MOS having lots of action. About time really.

#19 Edited by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Like it or not, too many movie goers are swayed by reviews, although the general good reviews of Superman Returns did not translate into big box office money, at least not enough to sate WB execs.

Enjoy the movie for yourself.

I will say this about critic reviews: one movie I did go out of my way to check out based on a good review (in this case from Roger Ebert) was Equilibrium in 2002. I really enjoyed the flick, though I recently re-watched it and was less impressed, mainly because I think I am tiring of that style of movie. Still I appreciated the good review and I think Ebert gave that movie a fairer shake than most others.

#20 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe Man of Steel will outperform Superman Returns by a large margin.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/db357e59461c4b554d7e14e1c4e88046/tumblr_mo9te3ogFH1rtxnpfo2_500.gif

#21 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

http://24.media.tumblr.com/678edd93ac3d96a66a99a6bb31f271c7/tumblr_mo8fikWkIo1rhozy4o1_250.gif

#22 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

Man Of Steel is so damn good shows Rotten Tomateos real face, showing how useless selfcentered obnoxious arrogant and mentally challenged those guys are.

Rotten Tomatoes brainwashes people, see how reviews everywhere just repeats what they say and people belive what they say is the truth.

I just hope this evidence Rotten Tomatoes is going to die and we will never see them again.

Seriously, Return got higger reviews, a movie that show Bryan Singer was living in the past and dont understand today society and see a senlessles society thatt is not real and is not there anymore.

Not seriously, see the critics, is because they dont see Christopher Reeve's Superman, they say is a bad movie, how childish and stuck in the past you must be to keep wanting this.

The whole they changed that means it sucks now thing, is very normal thing ask Nolan for all the hate he gets for Batman.

Rotten Tomatoes overrates and underrates movies, everything is black and white for those guys.

They are biased to some genres, studios, actors and directors.

They make The Avenger looks like if it was The Citizen Kane of the 21 Century, based on what hype and a market campaign, yeah they have no real opinions or no real arguments with this movie.

They state their opinions of a movie as absolute fact, if you dont belive the same you are an imbecile fool in their eyes, their opinions is the only one, this is how dellusional those arrogant pricks are.

This guys dont understand the Snakes on The Plane Theory, about knowing what market is going and what is the job the movie has to do, they are horribly biased to "author" movies, but horrribly hypocritical abouu what that means, they like artistic movies that have nothing of art and are just arrogant pretentious movies and hate the ones are honest movies.

They even fail to judge movies by their budget, if a movie cost 1 million buck and gets the same result one that cost 90 millions, it shows how bad the 90 millions buck movie is.

The Internet Movie Database 99.99% of users sucks, but there is a 0.1% that understands this theory and know how actually review a movie unbiased and in a neautral way to see thing.

They belive unnecessarily complicated difficult to understand = Author film and Artistic film,even whn actually is a poorly executed film for an arrogant guys like them.

They are the reason why people belvie critics are nothing more that failed filmakers, that hate movies because they failed and they have to give their hates to people that actually makes movie and never failed in their dream.

I could be a useless selfcentered obnoxious arrogant guy most of the time, i can belive people is stupid for watching movies like Resident Evil, but that dont change i understand the Snakes on The Plane Theory, i understand it goes for a market and is made to work in some way, judge movies based on this and their budgets, i know what movies have failed at doing their job and what movies dont and i dont belive movies like the Hurt Locker are great just for the fact are made so people win awards, i actually belive that is killing the movie industry and is a cancer that it should be destroy.

I like all type of movies, dont matter the budget or the genre i love movies, thing that Rotten Tomatoes dont, so the only thing i have to say to Rotten Tomatoes is EAT SHIT!!!!

Also The Hurt Locker Sucks was the only movie Nominated Worst that Avatar.

#23 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know why critics just don't like this movie. For me, it was the best Superman movie ever. The story/plot was good & the action was amazing. I was walking out of the theater with a smile on my face. I can't imagine someone walking out just saying meh.

#24 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently there are 27 reviews that are rated as rotten that should be counted as fresh.

#25 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Rotten Tomatoes can stick it

#26 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

thats why i just check this site, screenrant and ign

#27 Edited by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:

I find it astonishing they rated Superman returns higher than IMDB!

Also the ratings are now 57% for MOS on TR but 83% on IMDB!

Meanwhile SR got 62% on IMDB vs the 75% on RT

#28 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: It's weird.

Just another idea why critics don't matter. It's all opinion based, and barely mentions strict flaws. It comes down to "WELL, I DIDN'T LIKE DIS SUPERMAN. BAD RATING STAMP"

#29 Edited by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree 100% percent with you mate. I can't believe anyone takes those pretentious losers seriously.

#31 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashknight: You know whol elese is a Regular Show fan?

MY MOM!!!!

#33 Posted by The Stegman (23941 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why no one should ever, ever take RT seriously. The site is a joke.

#34 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

This s**t needs to be rectify. Most of the 'Rotten' reviews should be considered 'Fresh'.

Fix it WB.

#35 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

50% of Critics have lost all their credibility

#36 Edited by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: Can you believe that there are C-,C+, B-, 3/5,3.5/5 ratings that are considered 'rotten'?

#37 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I trust a professional's review over fanboys. Hence why MoS is so lauded here. You'd actually think it was good. Thank God for professional critics!

#38 Posted by The Stegman (23941 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: Well, go there then, I'm sure they'll have cookies. for ya :D

#39 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: mmm just had some. Wipe the crumbs from my mouth, wench.

#40 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten Tomatoes says Man of Steel is bad? F*CK THEM! THEY ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT MOVIES!!!!!!!

Rotten Tomatoes has good reviews for The Dark Knight? HELL YEAH THEY ARE PROOF THAT NOLAN IS A FILM GOD!!!!!!!111!!!111!!!

#41 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten Tomatoes says Man of Steel is bad? F*CK THEM! THEY ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT MOVIES!!!!!!!

Rotten Tomatoes has good reviews for The Dark Knight? HELL YEAH THEY ARE PROOF THAT NOLAN IS A FILM GOD!!!!!!!111!!!111!!!

this is true. I enjoyed the movie, but im not going to call critics idiots for having a different opinion.

#42 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Edited by TDK_1997 (14693 posts) - - Show Bio

I never believed into RT's ratings.

#44 Posted by KezNonu (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Another reason why you should never trust rottentomatoes

#45 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: "professional"

Bloggers and freelance journalists =\= Professionals

#46 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw the Batman reboot., this has to happen in Man of Steel Sequel.

@flashknight: Some random fun

@extremis: "professional"

Bloggers and freelance journalists =\= Professionals

QFT!!!!

#47 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: I'm talking about professional fim critics. Not anyone who posts a review on RT.

#48 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by frogdog (3246 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't given a damn about professional critics, since watchmen.

#50 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@the_stegman: I trust a professional's review over fanboys. Hence why MoS is so lauded here. You'd actually think it was good. Thank God for professional critics!

I know!

Say...how was Iron Man 3 again?