Superman: Most Polarizing Superhero?

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Folks, since diving into the wonderful world of comics.

I find that Superman is one of those rare heroes you either love or "love" to hate

So here's my question,

Is Superman possibly the most polarized superhero of all time?

or is there someone else?

Tell me what you think?

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most older audiences loved him as the boy scout and don't like how he's been portrayed recently, younger audiences like the new "more realistic" colder Superman... Definitely up there IMO.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

@mitran said:

Only for the uninformed, I think. Once people realize he's not boring and OP (or as I like to think of it become informed), he gets more accepted as a valid character.

This was exactly what i was gonna say.

Also even the fans of the character don't have a same version of him in his head.
If you go to ask a Superman fan his view on the character will be very different than yours, unlike fans of other characters like Spiderman Batman etc. Same with Wonder Woman.
I think that is because of the constant reboots and revisions.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Uhm, there are plenty of people who just "like" Superman. I don't think he's polarizing at all. I would say Cyclops fits the bill much better.

You either love or hate Scott, you don't love him.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I think that there are so many versions of Superman, then yes just like his fellow DC hero Batman. But I don't think he's polarising. Batman can be more polarising I guess.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

I think that there are so many versions of Superman, then yes just like his fellow DC hero Batman. But I don't think he's polarising. Batman can be more polarising I guess.

Give an example how Batman's more polarizing than supes.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989: no i think that goes to jason todd now thats a character people love to hate

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He polarizing but not the most polarizing. And people don't try to act like superman isn't boring or OP sometimes. With the right writer he isn't but most times he is.

Snyder is one of those writers who makes him not OP but most Superman fans only complain about that

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..hmm, I think he is perhaps more polarising than many characters, as people seem to either be a fan or they think he is boring. I haven't met many people who don't fit into one of those two camps. Most bat haters are people who are wound up by how his fans think he is some sort of "bat god". I haven't met many people who dislike the character himself. I agree there are more polarising characters however and Cyclops is certainly one.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mitrageist: Yup! What Mitran said. I felt the way you described until I read All Star Superman and finally understood the character.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By reactor

@jayc1324 said:

He polarizing but not the most polarizing. And people don't try to act like superman isn't boring or OP sometimes. With the right writer he isn't but most times he is.

Snyder is one of those writers who makes him not OP but most Superman fans only complain about that

Your own, personal opinion. And in light of the point you attempted to make, you arguably just reinforced the OP's argument