#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

For too long, people, fans included, have gotten WAAAY too caught up in the iconography of the Superman character, namely a simplistic, outdated variant of him. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of either film, but the reason that it took so long for both Man of Steel and Superman Returns to come out is because of this. SR especially is hellbent on selling you your "pappy's" Superman. No, I don't want Superman to lose his hopeful, big brother-like presence, but I also want people to realize that he's more than that. He doesn't just use his heat vision to help an old lady bake a "wholesome All-American Methodist" Apple Pie, or save cats from trees, but he's also a...hate to say it, but a BADASS. A warrior, a dude sent from a doomed planet that will truly do whatever it takes to save the one he calls home. Fans CONSTANTLY complain about non-fans ignorance of the character, with many of the non-fans saying that Supes is just an outdated "grandpa" icon. How can fans dispute this if that is the only side of the character that they want seen?!!!

The general audience, and people of the past few decades, NEED to be shown a Superman that is more than just a flying cop from the 40s. This mindset is why some only think of Lex Luthor as a weak old man who hates
Superman because.......uh......he hates him.

Why do you think I prefer Jim Lee or Ed Benes Superman to Alex Ross Superman? Because Superman is more than just a Norman Rockwell Campbell's soup cover, and quite frankly, even I don't want to see that side of the character if that's all that you have to offer. It's not interesting, and at that point you ARE writing a corny character.

#2 Edited by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio

I once ate a piece of apple pie and it had a gigantic bolt in it. Almost broke my teeth.

Now I am very careful when I eat stuff like that.

#3 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

For too long, people, fans included, have gotten WAAAY too caught up in the iconography of the Superman character, namely a simplistic, outdated variant of him. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of either film, but the reason that it took so long for both Man of Steel and Superman Returns to come out is because of this. SR especially is hellbent on selling you your "pappy's" Superman. No, I don't want Superman to lose his hopeful, big brother-like presence, but I also want people to realize that he's more than that. He doesn't just use his heat vision to help an old lady bake a "wholesome All-American Methodist" Apple Pie, or save cats from trees, but he's also a...hate to say it, but a BADASS. A warrior, a dude sent from a doomed planet that will truly do whatever it takes to save the one he calls home. Fans CONSTANTLY complain about non-fans ignorance of the character, with many of the non-fans saying that Supes is just an outdated "grandpa" icon. How can fans dispute this if that is the only side of the character that they want seen?!!!

The general audience, and people of the past few decades, NEED to be shown a Superman that is more than just a flying cop from the 40s. This mindset is why some only think of Lex Luthor as a weak old man who hates

Superman because.......uh......he hates him.

Why do you think I prefer Jim Lee or Ed Benes Superman to Alex Ross Superman? Because Superman is more than just a Norman Rockwell Campbell's soup cover, and quite frankly, even I don't want to see that side of the character if that's all that you have to offer. It's not interesting, and at that point you ARE writing a corny character.

Superman, is not a warrior. Before you use a term like that, do know all of the connotations and definitions of a bold term like that.

For instance, Wonder Woman, is a Warrior.

Superman is a farm-boy with all of the tools of a Warrior and the drive, but is, at heart, not a warrior.

#4 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

I once ate a piece of apple pie and it had a gigantic bolt in it. Almost broke my teeth.

Now I am very careful when I eat stuff like that.

I once ate some Chutney with lots of Cinnamon, oregano, salt, adobo, and other spices.

I had the runs for weeks.

#5 Posted by MaccyD (4081 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@joygirl: @hewhosees: I once ate pasta raw...

It wasn't too bad.

I once ate liver raw.

I... actually didn't vomit.

But I won't go anywhere near the stuff anymore.

#7 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@maccyd said:

It wasn't too bad.

I once ate liver raw.

What? Too bland and not exotic enough for you? Or is the reason you don't like it is because you found the line of unblandness and exoticness you won't cross?

#8 Posted by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@maccyd said:

It wasn't too bad.

I once ate liver raw.

What? Too bland and not exotic enough for you? Or is the reason you don't like it is because you found the line of unblandness and exoticness you won't cross?

Honestly it was just bloody disgusting. O_O

#9 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees: well, brute or thug didn't fit. Like Golden age supes, for instance, is not a boy scout

And stay on topic plz

#10 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#11 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1266 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't mind superman acting lately especially sense this is a version where his ma and pa died so he pretty had to figure thing out for himself beside there no such as the real superman because the real superman golden age(fanboy logic say orginal is better right?) would have kill people or left them to die lie how he was intended to do from his creator

#12 Edited by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

(fanboy logic say orginal is better right?)

Not really. Just look at Daredevil's costume for instance.

#13 Edited by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@hewhosees said:

@joygirl said:

@maccyd said:

It wasn't too bad.

I once ate liver raw.

Honestly it was just bloody disgusting. O_O

Like you are to me? Oh no, wait. Apple pie isn't HALF as disgusting as I find you.

#14 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1266 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees: i know but you always hear fanoboy saying how the original is better which is not always true

#16 Edited by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@hewhosees: Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm glad you think so. Note that this has less to do with the "not liking apple" thing though.

#18 Edited by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees: I honestly don't actually know what you're saying. I only accept insults I understand.

#19 Posted by consolemaster001 (5608 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought we already established this.