#1 Posted by coolcat4 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

how much

#2 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really at all.

#3 Posted by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah everything he did was adequate, the only challenge he faced were beings as powerful as him....it's hard to say because anything that looked like a struggle was in flash backs.

Sorry if that is a spoiler, I tried not to give examples

#5 Posted by coolcat4 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

ok thanks saw it very goood movie

#6 Edited by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

No fix-the-great-wall-of-china-vision

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17965 posts) - - Show Bio

Not de-powered at all!

Moderator
#8 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

No fix-the-great-wall-of-china-vision

lol!!!

no he's pretty powerful in this towards the end ull find that out,when he's up against a certain strong force from above......ya,he's Powerful.

#9 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: No he's not, can new superman make a souffle with heat vision?

methinks not

#10 Edited by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

The only power i noticed that wasnt there was ice breath.

#11 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#12 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12514 posts) - - Show Bio

So he can see people souls, know the Kriptonian Martial Arts, move a planet with 0.01 % of his power?

No, they depowered him and show Superman dont need to be that strong to be awesome, it just need to be that strong his annoying fanbase find him awesome and the rest annoying.

#13 Posted by MB25 (337 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

No fix-the-great-wall-of-china-vision

lol!!!

no he's pretty powerful in this towards the end ull find that out,when he's up against a certain strong force from above......ya,he's Powerful.

QFT! Really powerful.

#14 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they depowered him at all, besides the removal of the freeze breath, which I thought was moronic from the start. And it's hardly even used anymore, anyways. I don't think he even used it in All-Star Superman. Hell, I'm pretty sure the N52 version hasn't used it once

#15 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@teamunitednerds:

Can't remember if he used freeze breath but he used super breath to send some guys to safety creating something like a mini tornado.

#16 Posted by The Stegman (25986 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...he did seem to have trouble lifting that oil tanker beam...

#17 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...he did seem to have trouble lifting that oil tanker beam...

looked like his power increased significantly after he got the suit... i think he couldn't even fly before that.. i remember him hitchhiking after crushing that guys truck( which was very much out of character by the way)

#18 Edited by Arinya (452 posts) - - Show Bio

He had trouble telling a good story. The movie was such a mess. Oh and he did get beat up by a gurl. =P

#19 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5293 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't noticeable, at no point did I go "THEY WATERED DOWN SUPERMAN!" or something like that.

#20 Edited by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio
@cloudzackvincent said:

@the_stegman said:

Well...he did seem to have trouble lifting that oil tanker beam...

looked like his power increased significantly after he got the suit... i think he couldn't even fly before that.. i remember him hitchhiking after crushing that guys truck( which was very much out of character by the way)

He seemed "okay" with it, but the beam under him was giving away at the same time so that kind of sucked for him lol.

I honestly don't think the suit had anything to do with it. He didn't fly before because no one told him he could, he wouldn't think to try it....it wasn't until Jor-el told him to go train and see what else he could do. His super leaps (like in the old comics) turned into him flying, then falling, then flying. Same way Zod got fed up with getting his butt kicked, shed his armor and then flew as well.

What was out of character? In smallville when those bullies picked on him he stacked their trucks on each other, In the first superman movie (which people claim is true to the character), didn't superman actually beat up a bully in a bar..that previously beat him up earlier? yet in this movie he walked away from confrontation. He didn't lay a finger on any human, but still he let his anger out. I have read comics where he did the same thing, took his anger out on inanimate objects instead of the jerks who make him mad.

#21 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Never use Smallville as an argument when discussing Superman. That show was stupid.

But honestly, this movie really wanted to take a serious look at Superman, and show him as a human before a saviour, and I think it did an excellent job.

#22 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

He was incredibly powerful and honestly was only at the beginnings of understanding his potential. I don't think he was depowered at all.

#23 Posted by The Stegman (25986 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:
@cloudzackvincent said:

@the_stegman said:

Well...he did seem to have trouble lifting that oil tanker beam...

looked like his power increased significantly after he got the suit... i think he couldn't even fly before that.. i remember him hitchhiking after crushing that guys truck( which was very much out of character by the way)

truck( which was very much out of character by the way) He seemed "okay" with it, but the beam under him was giving away at the same time so that kind of sucked for him lol

I honestly don't think the suit had anything to do with it. He didn't fly before because no one told him he could, he wouldn't think to try it....it wasn't until Jor-el told him to go train and see what else he could do. His super leaps (like in the old comics) turned into him flying, then falling, then flying. Same way Zod got fed up with getting his butt kicked, shed his armor and then flew as well.

What was out of character? In smallville when those bullies picked on him he stacked their trucks on each other, In the first superman movie (which people claim is true to the character), didn't superman actually beat up a bully in a bar..that previously beat him up earlier? yet in this movie he walked away from confrontation. He didn't lay a finger on any human, but still he let his anger out. I have read comics where he did the same thing, took his anger out on inanimate objects instead of the jerks who make him mad.

I agree with both points. The suit to me had nothing to do with increasing his power, and like you said, he didn't fly in the beginning cause he didn't think he could, thus, never tried it. I think with it comes down to is that maybe his lifting strength has been decreased but he is still a very powerful combatant, because after he becomes Superman, I don't recall him lifting anything else greater than the oil tanker, but his striking strength was very high.

Also, I like what Clark did with the trucks. It shows that he's morally superior to most of us (if a guy poured a drink on my head, I'd punch him through a wall) yet he isn't SO above us that he'd pass up the chance for a little payback.

#24 Posted by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

Never use Smallville as an argument when discussing Superman. That show was stupid.

But honestly, this movie really wanted to take a serious look at Superman, and show him as a human before a saviour, and I think it did an excellent job.

stupid as it may be it was another example of him taking things out on inanimate objects, but i don't even need to use smallville, the classic movies where superman was more "in character" and true to the comic book, had him seek out a previous bully and beat him up, while causing damage to the diner and the pinball machine, but when he smashes up a truck in this movie it's totally out of line!

#25 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he power was at low superman level, his speed was SUPER SLOW, many people only think of superman great strength many people forget how fast he is. Superman is so fast that he could have saved his dad and no one would have ever seen him. He also should have never been hit by a single bullet. Bullets are no where near fast enough to tag him. Also the only plot device I found stupid was when he didnt know lois was in the ship with him yet later he hears his mother in distress clearly miles away.

Over all superman should be even more powerful in the second movie.

on another note everything he did looked more powerful than anything thor or hulk did in avengers so I think they did just fine

#26 Edited by Bezza (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

de-powered and slow, really?? He doesn't need to dodge bullets because he is bullet proof. I don't think he was slow for a moment. Watch the fight scenes again, there's never been anything like it in a superman film before. He moves REALLY quickly and took some incredible punishment in his fights without shedding any blood or getting knocked out. I think in the next movie he will be even more powerful, as for his freezing breath, just because they didn't use it in this film, doesn't mean he still hasn't got it.

#27 Posted by Skyfire (760 posts) - - Show Bio

The Kryptonians were weaker. I suppose it was to make it a realistic as possible.

#28 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:
@cloudzackvincent said:

@the_stegman said:

Well...he did seem to have trouble lifting that oil tanker beam...

looked like his power increased significantly after he got the suit... i think he couldn't even fly before that.. i remember him hitchhiking after crushing that guys truck( which was very much out of character by the way)

He seemed "okay" with it, but the beam under him was giving away at the same time so that kind of sucked for him lol.

I honestly don't think the suit had anything to do with it. He didn't fly before because no one told him he could, he wouldn't think to try it....it wasn't until Jor-el told him to go train and see what else he could do. His super leaps (like in the old comics) turned into him flying, then falling, then flying. Same way Zod got fed up with getting his butt kicked, shed his armor and then flew as well.

What was out of character? In smallville when those bullies picked on him he stacked their trucks on each other, In the first superman movie (which people claim is true to the character), didn't superman actually beat up a bully in a bar..that previously beat him up earlier? yet in this movie he walked away from confrontation. He didn't lay a finger on any human, but still he let his anger out. I have read comics where he did the same thing, took his anger out on inanimate objects instead of the jerks who make him mad.

when i mentioned the suit i meant it as a event or a mark in the timeline of the movie... i didn't mean he got the powers from his suit.

and yes destroying a man's livelihood, no matter how much of a jerk he is.. is out of character for Superman.. and i m not talking about Smallville... it is non canon.. i am talking about the Superman from the comics... and please don't say he used to throw around people when he first appeared... i m talking about the modern superman.. the current canon... new 52 or even post crisis.

#29 Posted by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent:


ummmm he knocked gl the hell out before even asking what was going on, he punched him in the face through the building. Then he went after batman, he was punch first ask questions later.


When has new 52 actually encountered a jerk like that? He hasn't so he never needed to walk away from a fight and smash someones car, but if you are actually wanting to use new 52 superman as a character comparison? the guy was an asshole when he first appeared lol. He taunted the police and the stress caused by him was giving one an ulcer that he also mocked....what did this superman do in the movie ? surrendered with hand cuff's and was polite about it lol This movie one was quiet and respectful....the new 52 one didn't shut the hell up

A running gag in that comic is people saying "he's king of a jerk"

the new 52 one actually acts the way you didn't like in the movie but in the comic it's perfectly fine? So that actually baffles me

He slams batman into a wall, during their first meeting. When he first met zod, who he didn't even trust by the way, he got on a space ship with him and flew off just to keep his part of the bargain.


The original movie one went to the diner to beat someone up who previously hurt him. (not counting this)

Earth one he flat out burned a guy's hair off (which you aren't counting because it's earth one)

He threatened Dick Grayson when angered enough, yes he was upset about bruce's death but this is an example of him getting upset and instead of taking it out on an inanimate object he grabbed Dick and shook him around and threatened to strip him.

In DCAU he destroys a city battling captain marvel, a ploy to make him look bad (once again not counting because its the cartoon)

I will find a pc example soon enough they have been shown. Why did I include those versions like earth one and the animated ones? because more often then not in each universe if he is p.o.ed enough he will take it out on something not in a big way but he does.

#30 Posted by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

@speedlgt said:

i think he power was at low superman level, his speed was SUPER SLOW, many people only think of superman great strength many people forget how fast he is. Superman is so fast that he could have saved his dad and no one would have ever seen him. He also should have never been hit by a single bullet. Bullets are no where near fast enough to tag him. Also the only plot device I found stupid was when he didnt know lois was in the ship with him yet later he hears his mother in distress clearly miles away.

Over all superman should be even more powerful in the second movie.

on another note everything he did looked more powerful than anything thor or hulk did in avengers so I think they did just fine

he actually does avoid being shot by the helipcopters the first time, he stands there and looks at them then moves out of the way, did you see when he flew in and attacked zod? you think thats slow? did you see farora attack the soliders? by the time he runs up the stairs to the next floor shes already there.... and as for super speed...you've been watching too much smallville, and he knew he could save his dad, he was GOING to until his dad told him not to, imagine, a guy is about to be sucked up by a tornado then a blink of an eye later he is suddenly safe? Yeah try explaining that one, after the school bus incident people were looking for ANY reason to find on clark to call him different and his dad knew that.

So are you telling me in the cartoon and comics you haven't seen him hit by bullets ?

He is always hit by bullets just to show off how amazingly bullet proof he is. In the same scene you complain about him not moving fast enough to dodge bullets, he DODGED bullets, and then they probably had scenes of him getting shot to show how durable he was. He was shot in the head and it nudged him back but he was perfectly fine. How else would they display that he is bullet proof if not getting shot. Every movie, every comic, every show to DATE has superman being shot at some point.


Did you see when he was fighting in the IHOP, that was insanely fast and you know it. It just wasn't a cheap blured down slow motion effect in Smallville. I'm sorry but I actually want to see the fight, not a bunch of blurs on the screen, then one bulletime effect where everything stops for a second and rotates before they hit each other..

they slowed it down for your benefit. She took out like 5 soldiers in a blink of an eye.

As for the mother thing.

"I am sorry they went into my mind and got information" lois basically said they read her mind, he was happy to see her and then clued in, oh shit lois knows where I live, now they must too, and he flew off. Usually super hearing scene have the faint sound of a siren or someone calling, that scene had lois saying her mind was read, and then him getting scared and flying off, so I'm just going to assume he clued in.

And of course he knew she was on the ship........they BOTH went up there together....why wouldn't he know that? Why do you think he doesn't know shes up there with him....they held hands up there :s

#31 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@cloudzackvincent

:

ummmm he knocked gl the hell out before even asking what was going on, he punched him in the face through the building. Then he went after batman, he was punch first ask questions later.

When has new 52 actually encountered a jerk like that? He hasn't so he never needed to walk away from a fight and smash someones car, but if you are actually wanting to use new 52 superman as a character comparison? the guy was an asshole when he first appeared lol. He taunted the police and the stress caused by him was giving one an ulcer that he also mocked....what did this superman do in the movie ? surrendered with hand cuff's and was polite about it lol This movie one was quiet and respectful....the new 52 one didn't shut the hell up

A running gag in that comic is people saying "he's king of a jerk"

the new 52 one actually acts the way you didn't like in the movie but in the comic it's perfectly fine? So that actually baffles me

He slams batman into a wall, during their first meeting. When he first met zod, who he didn't even trust by the way, he got on a space ship with him and flew off just to keep his part of the bargain.

The original movie one went to the diner to beat someone up who previously hurt him. (not counting this)

Earth one he flat out burned a guy's hair off (which you aren't counting because it's earth one)

He threatened Dick Grayson when angered enough, yes he was upset about bruce's death but this is an example of him getting upset and instead of taking it out on an inanimate object he grabbed Dick and shook him around and threatened to strip him.

In DCAU he destroys a city battling captain marvel, a ploy to make him look bad (once again not counting because its the cartoon)

I will find a pc example soon enough they have been shown. Why did I include those versions like earth one and the animated ones? because more often then not in each universe if he is p.o.ed enough he will take it out on something not in a big way but he does.

I don't know what u r trying to get on here.. i never said he was depicted badly in the whole movie.. in fact i defended his killing of Zod in a couple of other thr

eads... and i m very much aware of his behaviour i have been reading each and every issue of justice league, superman, action comics, superboy and supergirl. Did i say it was a bad depiction of him when he killed Zod or crashed that drone? No! and did I comment on him destroying the city? No! I have defended MOS in these threads concerning these topics. When he slammed batman, he was just attacked by an apokoliptian and besides slamming batman is nothing compared to destroying a person's livelihood... admittedly, that person was a jerk but he was not a evil villain... and THAT is the ONLY instance in the whole movie that i am talking about. Also this is my opinion and i was not imposing it on anybody.. in fact that was not even the point of my original post..it was just a tidbit i mentioned in the side, hence the brackets.. so if u don't agree fine, move on.. don't call me out

#32 Edited by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

No fix-the-great-wall-of-china-vision

Booooo! That was supposed to be Superman's definitive power! What makes a man Superman? Fix-the-great-wall-of-china-vision! Simple as that!

#33 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Sadly No fix-the-world-trade-center-vision :(

#34 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@ssejllenrad: Sadly No fix-the-world-trade-center-vision :(

Well duuuuhh... Superman is not American. The S shield itself is Yellow and Red. Yellow and Red!!!!

#35 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: no wonder lead affects his power, the chinese must put bad things inside their toys >.>

#36 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@ssejllenrad: no wonder lead affects his power, the chinese must put bad things inside their toys >.>

Nyahahahahahahaha! I can't stop laughing!

#37 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: -_-

man of steel to watch over american gwai lo

#38 Posted by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent: what i was getting at is you saying it was out of character for him, when he is shown to have done stuff like that in the past, so I don't get how it is out of character, that's all. Even in the stories you consider cannon. If the writer makes him do something like that, then he's done it, it is in his character, they would know his character better than the reader, but it seems like you are picking and choosing what to accept and what not to which is fine, but you can't say it's out of character if in the comics he has done the same kind of stuff. You asked for current stories where superman would do stuff like that. I gave example of him being a jerk in current stories

#39 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@cloudzackvincent: what i was getting at is you saying it was out of character for him, when he is shown to have done stuff like that in the past, so I don't get how it is out of character, that's all. Even in the stories you consider cannon. If the writer makes him do something like that, then he's done it, it is in his character, they would know his character better than the reader, but it seems like you are picking and choosing what to accept and what not to which is fine, but you can't say it's out of character if in the comics he has done the same kind of stuff. You asked for current stories where superman would do stuff like that. I gave example of him being a jerk in current stories

yes i think it was out of character, and it was not even the crux of my post..this thread is about his powers.... it was just something i mentioned in the side, .... it's called having an opinion.. and i m allowed to have one.

PS: i don't decide what is canon.. i consider canon the same things DC does

#40 Edited by w0nd (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

@w0nd said:

@cloudzackvincent: what i was getting at is you saying it was out of character for him, when he is shown to have done stuff like that in the past, so I don't get how it is out of character, that's all. Even in the stories you consider cannon. If the writer makes him do something like that, then he's done it, it is in his character, they would know his character better than the reader, but it seems like you are picking and choosing what to accept and what not to which is fine, but you can't say it's out of character if in the comics he has done the same kind of stuff. You asked for current stories where superman would do stuff like that. I gave example of him being a jerk in current stories

yes i think it was out of character, and it was not even the crux of my post..this thread is about his powers.... it was just something i mentioned in the side, .... it's called having an opinion.. and i m allowed to have one.

PS: i don't decide what is canon.. i consider canon the same things DC does

of course you are allowed to have an opinion, but this is comic vine people will debate with you, that's one of the best things about this place. I honestly wouldn't know why a person would want to share an opinion if not to at times have debates and discussions, otherwise you might as well just make topics like "so who agrees with me on this! who ever doesn't need not reply"

and I am glad you accept what DC considers cannon, you just chose to ignore things in the main continuity or don't notice them, then when you see it in the movie say he is acting out of character.

yes you were right the topic was about powers, I went off topic and that is entirely my fault.

#41 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@cloudzackvincent said:

@w0nd said:

@cloudzackvincent: what i was getting at is you saying it was out of character for him, when he is shown to have done stuff like that in the past, so I don't get how it is out of character, that's all. Even in the stories you consider cannon. If the writer makes him do something like that, then he's done it, it is in his character, they would know his character better than the reader, but it seems like you are picking and choosing what to accept and what not to which is fine, but you can't say it's out of character if in the comics he has done the same kind of stuff. You asked for current stories where superman would do stuff like that. I gave example of him being a jerk in current stories

yes i think it was out of character, and it was not even the crux of my post..this thread is about his powers.... it was just something i mentioned in the side, .... it's called having an opinion.. and i m allowed to have one.

PS: i don't decide what is canon.. i consider canon the same things DC does

of course you are allowed to have an opinion, but this is comic vine people will debate with you, that's one of the best things about this place. I honestly wouldn't know why a person would want to share an opinion if not to at times have debates and discussions, otherwise you might as well just make topics like "so who agrees with me on this! who ever doesn't need not reply"

and I am glad you accept what DC considers cannon, you just chose to ignore things in the main continuity or don't notice them, then when you see it in the movie say he is acting out of character.

yes you were right the topic was about powers, I went off topic and that is entirely my fault.

u don't need to tell me what is comicvine.. i have been here for 4 years. the point is, i m not debating about his character here, its bout his powers.. what i found uncharacteristic was something i mentioned in the side to the_stegmen.. was not even talking to u...

i would not have stopped after the last post if not fr the uderlined part. since bring u up the main continuity, when did he destroy ever destroy someone's livelihood.. someone who is not a villain.. just a normal person albeit kind of a jerk. don't give me that "he pushed batman" or "he threatened someone" .. those are not equal to destroying some person's livelihood. i m not talking about his act of aggression.. i m talking about the consequences of what he did... it was not something he did in the spur of the moment .. it was an act of retaliation.

#42 Posted by coolcat4 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

do you guys think he will be much more powerful in the second film

i hope so but the only reason i thought he was depowered was the oil rig but he couldn't fly and the ground was giving way which made it harder to hold up

#43 Posted by Bogey (970 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an origin story, Superman is not meant to be the powerhouse he is in the comics. Even Jor-El tells him that he needs to continue to push his limits cause this is all new to him.