Superman being Grounded

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This has been bothering me for some time. In the midst of the arguments people do for Lois Lane's place in Superma's life, some fans state that Lois is the character that grounds Superman as a person and makes him human, more of a man.

Now, I like Lois. But this argument is simply stupid. At least to me. The things that grounded Superman in reality isn't just one person specifically, it's his entire supporting cast as a whole. People like Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, Ron Troupe, Lana Lang and Ma' & Pa' Kent are what ground him. It's not Lois. Lois complements him and challenges him, she doesn't ground him.

What do you guys think? Think Lois does ground him.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Shippers aside,I guess they mean that with WW Superman doesn't have a person close to him that sees the small picture. And remember when Sm/Ww started Clark didn't have parents,he was a blogger and he didn't have any prominent human supporting cast.

I personally do think Lois does help Clark remember being Clark sometimes, its not her main reason to be with him but still a valid one. Like when she says to WW to remind Clark to eat, in Rucka's run. Its a great detail, that Superman sometimes is so focused on the big picture that he forgets the small one, like how @rideaspacecowboy put it, he needs the humiliation along with the exaltation, hence all the stories that Superman loses him way after he stops being Clark.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already said all I have to say about this topic.

To me it's exactly the opposite. Lois was the most grounding character in Superman life.

That's why I'm happy where she's now. Away from him.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By suemorphplus209

@jogga: people need to man up and take responsibility for their own morality. Lois Lane is fine and can be okay if written well, but the whole idea that Superman has no morals without her being his wife is rediculous in a number of ways. Heck, it has been written to death the idea that he needs to have a woman as his wife or he goes evil so many times it's just plain silly and boring, and makes him look rediculous at this point (Injustice, Earth-22, etc.). Superman needs to evolve as a character to stay interesting. It's great to know that we are living in the days where Superman will actually fight back against Metallo or some other villain with Kryptonite as opposed to hopelessly collapse and cry when someone in the room pulls a tiny Kryptonite pebble out of his or her pocket. Is Lois Lane potentially good? Maybe. But if anything, she needs to show some serious contrast from how she was in post crisis continuity. As for the reasons, the whole idea of grounding or needing Lois for connection to humanity is weak, it's not a good one, even better reasons are there, plus it doesn't make Superman or Lois look very strong as characters either if that's the main reason: it's on the bottom of what I see as good reasons.

I could say more, but I have said it a couple of times already, especially on the Lois Lane thread.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suemorphplus209: Well, there is the fact that Clark should honestly think ahead about Lois right? He is going to both outlive her and he won't age as fast as she will, so in all likelihood, he will simply either have to marry someone else, or have a connection to humanity that simply doesn't lean on Lois Lane, whether she dies if old age, car crash, getting murdered, etc, there's no reason why Superman cannot think ahead of the situation where Lois would die and leave him. Aside from PIS. I also agree with the OP on the idea that it's not just Lois, but the supporting cast as a whole, plus she can still be a support as a friend too.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darthdeadpool

Honestly, you will see. The fall and bankruptcy of DC Will be directly related to the "truth" series and the c*nt actions of lois in that series

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, you will see. The fall and bankruptcy of DC Will be directly related to the "truth" series and the c*nt actions of lois in that series

How? Superman is not really the main cornerstone of DC anymore, Batman is. Truth is a terrible story I agree with that, and what the writers had Lois due was stupid and an attempt to ruin her.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suemorphplus209

@darkman61288: I don't think they will be totally ruined, the real train wreck is going to be the "truth" story. Not Lois Lane, of all the ways that Superman gets his SID back, well, all would pretty much erase a lot of information from people (mass mind wipe, Mr. Mxyzptlk, etc.). Plus, Lois Lane has done some despicable things in comics and other media ( whining and wanting a potential rival to die in Our Worlds at War, being pretty awful in Superman Returns as a character, etc.). But who will remember it in say, a year if she does not re-expose Clark's SID?

I would say a decent chunk of dislike would be down by that point.

I would say that she would still be fine as a character if the SID is back because even within continuity, few will remember what happened, maybe just Clark and a few others, maybe Lois will not remember. I am still optimistic about Lois Lane as a character especially with her being in the movies and with the likely resolution to the loss of Superman's SID, that I just mentioned.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

@jogga: As someone who misses the Clark and Lois marriage being the status quo as well as the relationship between these 2 characters, I completely agree with you. The Clois shippers and diehard Lois Lane fans really demean their own points when they, in your words, "state that Lois is the character that grounds Superman as a person and makes him human, more of a man." Not only does that diminish Superman's own humanity, it spits in the face of what the Kents did to raise Clark, teach him good values and a strong work ethic and to shape him into the person who would eventually choose to become Superman not through personal tragedy or vengeance but because he simply wanted to use his powers to help other people. They're far more important cornerstones in connecting Superman to humanity IMO. A better term would be that Lois helps to 'complement Clark' and reflect what Clark loves about humanity. I think that makes Lois important without it sounding like her presence has to be there for Clark to truly be Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

@jogga: As someone who misses the Clark and Lois marriage being the status quo as well as the relationship between these 2 characters, I completely agree with you. The Clois shippers and diehard Lois Lane fans really demean their own points when they, in your words, "state that Lois is the character that grounds Superman as a person and makes him human, more of a man." Not only does that diminish Superman's own humanity, it spits in the face of what the Kents did to raise Clark, teach him good values and a strong work ethic and to shape him into the person who would eventually choose to become Superman not through personal tragedy or vengeance but because he simply wanted to use his powers to help other people. They're far more important cornerstones in connecting Superman to humanity IMO. A better term would be that Lois helps to 'complement Clark' and reflect what Clark loves about humanity. I think that makes Lois important without it sounding like her presence has to be there for Clark to truly be Superman.

I think it is born from the idea that without Clark, Superman loses his way. Usually the Kents die and the DP cast was hugely ignored, so Lois is the only "real human" left in Superman's cast. As many stories from various ages have pointed out, Superman forgets to be Clark and because he treads that delicate balance between Super-hero and man,without humans around him and surrounded more and more by Super-humans, he puts more emphasis on the Super.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm a Jimmy Olsen fanboy so of course I'll say no.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the first time I have heard about one!

But I am glad you exist :P

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah everybody seem to hate\laugh at him but I've always thought he was cool.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

I like him too. He was heavily ignored until Johns put him in the spotlight again, at least now he is Co-starring in Bizarro.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@squalleon said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Up top bro

No Caption Provided

Feelings are mutual about the character.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: That idea really bugs me. So if Superman hangs out too much with other superheroes, he becomes less human? So other superheroes are less human than non-superheroes now? What's up with that? Neither Wally, nor Hal are less of a person because of their powers, so why would Superman be?

They are Superheroes, they've experienced fighting clones and dark supernatural forces, something no other human has, of course they are going to be a little diffrent than before they started. That doesn't mean that they are less of a person because of it, and no amount of hanging out with your "normal" friends is going to change you back into the person you were before you had powers or went on your first grand adventure.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Squalleon

@jogga said:

@squalleon: That idea really bugs me. So if Superman hangs out too much with other superheroes, he becomes less human? So other superheroes are less human than non-superheroes now? What's up with that? Neither Wally, nor Hal are less of a person because of their powers, so why would Superman be?

They are Superheroes, they've experienced fighting clones and dark supernatural forces, something no other human has, of course they are going to be a little diffrent than before they started. That doesn't mean that they are less of a person because of it, and no amount of hanging out with your "normal" friends is going to change you back into the person you were before you had powers or went on your first grand adventure.

It may bug you, but it is part and an element of Super-humans since the 70s if not before. And when you see the big picture all the time and you are self-righteous you can easily become a tyrant or lose your way. So you need people to remind you what are you fighting for and to see the small picture.

Squadron Supreme, Moore's Twilight, kingdom Come, Red Son, Miracle-Man, Justice Lords etc.

No one from those stories thought they were evil or lost their way. But seclusion took them away from their roots. Hell, in KC Superman is literally "saved" by remembering that he put the Super above than the man, he lost his balance. And it is more important for Superman than GL because Superman is the champion of the earth and unofficial leader of the Super-heroes.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Half of the stories you mentioned aren't even because he's been hanging out with the wrong crowd. Red Son's plot happened due to Superman's communist beliefs, Kingdom Come happened because of both the the loss of his loved ones and the loss of his faith in people MADE him seclude himself from the outside world entirely and NOT just the people, Justice Lords happened because of the Flash's death made them tyrannical overlords that lobotomized people on the spot (and I don't know about you, but that seems very much inaccurate of what Supes would really do). None of those stories involving Superman made him into a tyrant devoid of humanity just because he hangs out with other heroes too much.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

@squalleon: Half of the stories you mentioned aren't even because he's been hanging out with the wrong crowd. Red Son's plot happened due to Superman's communist beliefs, Kingdom Come happened because of both the the loss of his loved ones and the loss of his faith in people MADE him seclude himself from the outside world entirely and NOT just the people, Justice Lords happened because of the Flash's death made them tyrannical overlords that lobotomized people on the spot (and I don't know about you, but that seems very much inaccurate of what Supes would really do). None of those stories involving Superman made him into a tyrant devoid of humanity just because he hangs out with other heroes too much.

• Not really. Red Son became a tyrant because he wanted to protect and he was top authority without a civilian identity to remind him of the small picture, he was never Clark. Luthor actually "saved" him in the end.
  • Kingdom Come had Superman losing his way after everyone of his human cast died, including his civilian identity. Clark was dead and Superman lost his way, which he found again when a human pointed him in the right direction and he adopted Clark again.
  • The Justice Lords parallel's the idea that the JL became more and more self-righteous and secluded, broken into military instalations, hidden mass destruction weapons etc. The Justice Lord incident actually reminded them what could happen. Its one of the main themes in the whole series.
  • Twillight had Superman be full time Superman, no more Clark Kent, married to Wonder Woman as the head of the five tyrannical houses of Super-heroes.

All of them have Superman becoming more Superman and putting Kent in the sidelines.

Superman like any other Super-hero are authority figures and every authority figure to not be corrupted must remember who they fight for. For Superman to be that, he must be Clark, but with no human cast, Clark has no reason of existence, hence Superman is always Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Αt the end of the day its not the human cast, but Clark that keeps Superman grounded.The champion of the oppressed can very easily lose his way if he doesn't stop to see what humans fear, hope, like and dream about. And it is very easy to lose that when you soar high in the air.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By suemorphplus209

@lvenger: This is one of my pet peeves. Lois Lane and going for her was the personal decision of post-crisis Superman. It was his decision, and the whole idea of mandated destiny doesn't fly with me, does she have her perks and positive attributes? Sure she does, but his and her actions in that continuity and in say, Smallville, All-Star Superman, and other stories, proved and confirmed that they were willing to make it work out, and made the relationship what it was.

Probably just my taste, but I see it as less of mandated, forced destiny, and more of something that was tried and proven by the characters themselves. Also, a lot of the time I hear this argument it doesn't really rule out the idea that Lois can't be a positive influence in the form of a coworker, friend, or even big sister type of figure either.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jogga

@squalleon said:
@jogga said:

• Not really. Red Son became a tyrant because he wanted to protect and he was top authority without a civilian identity to remind him of the small picture, he was never Clark. Luthor actually "saved" him in the end.

He became a tyrant because of his misguidedness, which was attributed by his upbringing in communist Russia.

• Kingdom Come had Superman losing his way after everyone of his human cast died, including his civilian identity. Clark was dead and Superman lost his way, which he found again when a human pointed him in the right direction and he adopted Clark again.

KC lost his way because the people started choosing Magog's ways instead of him right AFTER the death of his loved ones. It was a culmination of many things that lead to Superman losing his faith in humanity. Kingdom Come is a dystopia, a lighter one compared to DKR but a Dystopia nonetheless, with Wonder Woman killing n' stuff. This is a story of ALL Superheroes losing their way after Superman stops being Superman.

• The Justice Lords parallel's the idea that the JL became more and more self-righteous and secluded, broken into military instalations, hidden mass destruction weapons etc. The Justice Lord incident actually reminded them what could happen. Its one of the main themes in the whole series.

Yes, Justice Lords made them reflect their decisions in doing shady things instead of cooperating. But that really doesn't do anything for the argument that Superman being around Superpowered people is a bad thing.

• Twillight had Superman be full time Superman, no more Clark Kent, married to Wonder Woman as the head of the five tyrannical houses of Super-heroes.

Moore also made several superheroes be Perverts, Murderers, and Tyrants and then had them die in the end of the story. I'd hardly call that an accurate point of view as to what would happen if Supes started hanging out with Superpowered people more than his human friends.

All of them have Superman becoming more Superman and putting Kent in the sidelines.

You know who what OTHER stories had Superman be more Superman than Clark? All-Star Superman, Superman the Movie, and Superman II, all of which are considered to be the best Superman stories to date. Even in the Superman NOW story we both morn we never come to pass, Morrison, Waid, and Millar all had made Clark a disguise and Superman the real guy, only the values the Kents had bestowed upon him still strongly etched at his center.

Superman like any other Super-hero are authority figures and every authority figure to not be corrupted must remember who they fight for. For Superman to be that, he must be Clark, but with no human cast, Clark has no reason of existence, hence Superman is always Superman.

It's never been Clark that was important to Supes' humanity. It's actually the values that were attributed to Clark by the Kents. Half of the Superman stories we have had Clark be the wimpy nerd with a different appearance and demeanour to throw off suspicion, while the REAL Clark was alive inside Superman.

It's not like I'm saying Clark should ditch the glasses and more than half of his supporting cast, I'm not DC, I'm just saying that Superman hanging out with other superpowered people doesn't lessen him as a character.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Squalleon

@jogga: Ι am just gonna end it here because I am not interested into getting into an internet debate, especially now considering that it is escalating. A debate brings up the thinking of "I have to be right" rather than understand where the other is coming from.

So I am gonna say this, for the element to exist more than 40 years into the character's history and to be part of many of his most interesting and popular stories, part of the homage characters, the rip-offs etc. means something.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jogga

@squalleon said:

@jogga: Ι am just gonna end it here because I am not interested into getting into an internet debate, especially now considering that it is escalating. A debate brings up the thinking of "I have to be right" rather than understand where the other is coming from.

So I am gonna say this, for the element to exist more than 40 years into the character's history and to be part of many of his most interesting and popular stories, part of the homage characters, the rip-offs etc. means something.

Yes, it shows our utter facination on the idea of absolute power corrupting absolutely, or atleast breaking those with great power. But that's just one form of interpretationon on the character's wide history.

You are right. We shouldn't debate when it is escalating like this, we might as well have gotten off topic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
@squalleon said:

Yes, it shows our utter facination on the idea of absolute power corrupting absolutely, or atleast breaking those with great power. But that's just one form of interpretationon on the character's wide history.

You are right. We shouldn't debate when it is escalating like this, we might as well have gotten off topic.

I don't see it like this to be honest.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
@squalleon said:

I see it in Twilight of Superheroes, Injustice, and Red Son. Superheroes become tyrants and it's up to the non-powered heroes to rebel against them.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Squalleon

@jogga said:
@squalleon said:
@jogga said:
@squalleon said:

I see it in Twilight of Superheroes, Injustice, and Red Son. Superheroes become tyrants and it's up to the non-powered heroes to rebel against them.

For injustice I agree. But in Twilight, Superman is described as knowing he is in the wrong but he has to regrettable keep a delicate balance and in Red Son he was misguided because he didn't see the small picture (the lack of Clark I meant), Red Son was a character who thought he created a Utopia because he saw his world from up high and Luthor showed him he was wrong, when he understood what he did, he gave it all up and became an observer.

But what I meant is that Superman isn't corrupted. Its not the point. Its that it is so easy to lose your touch with the world if you don't interact with it. Hell, you can see it with the older generations. They lose their connection to the world and are left behind. Superman must be Clark to see clearly how the world works and how his actions affect it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I think it is born from the idea that without Clark, Superman loses his way. Usually the Kents die and the DP cast was hugely ignored, so Lois is the only "real human" left in Superman's cast. As many stories from various ages have pointed out, Superman forgets to be Clark and because he treads that delicate balance between Super-hero and man,without humans around him and surrounded more and more by Super-humans, he puts more emphasis on the Super.

Yeah you're probably right, I'm not the biggest fan of Lois being the sole focus of Superman's supporting cast. Superman does need to be Clark to keep his perspective in line but previous iterations of Superman mixed fine with both ordinary people and fellow superhumans without a drastic change in focus or values.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@squalleon said:

Yeah you're probably right, I'm not the biggest fan of Lois being the sole focus of Superman's supporting cast. Superman does need to be Clark to keep his perspective in line but previous iterations of Superman mixed fine with both ordinary people and fellow superhumans without a drastic change in focus or values.

It adds to the storytelling to have a variety of cast. New 52 Superman had for example no cast at all. I really think they should build Ulysses and the Daily Planet. Supes needs a strong cast.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@squalleon said:

It adds to the storytelling to have a variety of cast. New 52 Superman had for example no cast at all. I really think they should build Ulysses and the Daily Planet. Supes needs a strong cast.

Agreed.

Most of all, It needs a memorable cast as well. There is a reason why people still remember Superboy Prime and H'El despite the terrible writing.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I dont think she is the only one that grounds him as Ma and Pa Kent do a great deal of that as does Jimmy Olsen, but I think Lois does play a large role in grounding him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@squalleon said:

Daily Planet really does need to be built up and rewritten from the ground up. Ulysses does have potential as another superhuman side character in the Superman line up but Steel or Guardian would be just as welcome at this point. Maybe Alpha Centurion if Lobdell weren't butchering him.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: It's also plausible that they could do a flashback story or mini-series in canon of him as a younger Superman to show what he learned or what he did with the Kents as opposed to simply just having them be dead. I mean, it is plausible that he actually learned something from the Kents via his own experiences with them as a child before they died. I am sick of how many origin stories for Superman that they keep throwing forward, and wondering which one is canon? How many times are they seriously going to rewrite his story. I feel the urge to check out the old school "Superboy" series at this point. (Where it actually talks about Superman as a child/teenager).

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kiba

I personally think Lois works best when she's the one telling the world about Superman and how there isn't anything to fear from him. I think there's something special there about him finally having to open up and be, mostly truthful, about who he is, what he can do and where he's from after a lifetime of hiding and of her accepting him. I think secret origins really nailed it as Clark struggled with his fear of rejection but the support from Lois and Jimmy really helped him come around. I think she provides a great connection to humanity in that way not because she is/was his wife. When the romance between them comes from there I think is when it works the best but now that they aren't together and the rest of his supporting cast isn't there anymore he seems so adrift. Dating the god of war who openly admits she kills her most dangerous foes, or at least implies she does, and being super best friends with a guy in a bat suit who's obsessed with hurting criminals seems to me to be the way you get an injustice like Superman especially when he has no support from his own cast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always thought both Lois and the Kents were a good form of grounding. But I think the notion that he needs grounding is a bit silly really. He's been raised with these ideals since he was young and I don't think he needs to be reminded every ten seconds that he needs to stay with them. Of course there will be times when he falters but I always thought that him being able to visit his parents and sharing a coffee or a piece of apple pie would help with that. Obviously, in the New 52 he doesn't have that but Jimmy [or is it James now] is there for him as well. While I do enjoy the Wonder Woman paring, I did love the Lois Lane relationship as I've been a fan of classic Superman for years. However there were times when she was badly written and it caused a detriment to the character causing some to be disgruntled with her. I like the fiery spark she has but I also like that Clark could banter with her. Him being a doormat was infuriating to say the least. All in all, they shouldn't have killed off the Kents if they were getting rid of Lois. Or they could bring back Lana for longer.