Superman #46 - Review

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How to define this comic.... I guess the more simpler and truer words would be to say, it shows everything that's currently wrong with Superman.

The story starts off pretty much where it left off, with Clark impersonation of a WWE fighter. John Cena would be proud of this Clark. Heck, I'd even bet he'd love reading this comic.

So we get Clark saying weird stuff like, he never felt so alive, that the roar of the crowd fills him with energy... and I was like "WTF!" And can anyone blame me. Either way Jimmy is still on the hunt for his not so best friend anymore. With a chick that talks to machines. Seen weirder powers so I'm not even gonna waste time with her.

So once again we get Superman facing HORDR and we actually get a interesting development in the end. And I'm not refering to Jimmy dying. That dust Superman took me back to Future's End. And the talk Future Superman and dust Superman had, and that DC most likely is planning to use Mr. Mxyzptlk to fix Clark secret identity problem.

Lets go to the scans...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

To conclude this review I just got to say this. One knows something is very, very wrong with a comic book publisher, when they let newcomers trash on other people work. That person being Yang trashing Morrison's work. How exactly does he do that!? Simple. Anyone that's been following up on Superman ever since the New 52 reboot, knows that Clark first worked at the Daily Star and only later on went to the Daily Planet, where Lois and Jimmy already worked there. But now we get Yang writing a scene were it pretty much trashes what Morrison wrote and says that Clark was first at the planet and Jimmy was the newcomer, that was having trouble fitting in.

When writers don't even bother to study on what the previous ones did before them, it's no wonder we get such a poor example of a comic.

My advice... Don't buy this comic. I'm already pretty much telling you all you fellow Viners need to know about it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I should be happier that Yang is drawing from the Bronze age with that Sand Superman clone but it just reminds of much better written Superman comics referenced in a bad one. Plus, this issue totally didn't contain an oh so subtle jab at online bloggers, reviewers or forum posters and their/our criticism of Truth.

No Caption Provided

Likewise I felt the same with what this issue had. Mythbrawl was not executed very well and Jimmy's reaction to it sums up the Superman fan's response more than Yang would care to admit. I also forgot who that HORDR woman with claws was, I had to go and find her name on the wikis to remind myself what her name was. For an event that was marketed as each comic telling its own story, it doesn't read very well co-dependently of each other. And I'm so not looking forward to Superman's response to HORDR Root's challenge about taking retribution on anyone who harms his loved ones, even if it was just a bluff. It summarises the heart of what's gone wrong with Superman comics currently, the genuinely good person substituted for a meaner and angrier redo to 'fit the times.'

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Squalleon

I hate that attacks to the fans have become the got to way of dealing with criticism.

Yeah, lets not go into deep meditation to see what mistakes we might have made here and why all these people are moving away from our product,no lets jab at them, to show how right we are.I can understand artistic integrity but when you are part of a crossover, in a clear cash-grab stunt, you shouldn't expect people to support said "integrity".

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks stupid.

I FEEL stupid.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimmy died?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well, this is pretty much what I thought about the preview. This entire debacle reminds me of a certain JLU episode, except that was pretty good. Also I love the fact that Yang thinks he's being attacked when in actual fact we're only upset because we're passionate. We haven't had a good Superman title for a long time now and the only one that I'm personally enjoying is the Lois and Clark series. It really says something when an old writer can write a Superman everyone can get back into. It's even worse to believe that we might not get a good Superman title for a long time.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000:

Yes. Sand Superman blasts some heat vision at Jimmy and he pretty much dies, looking at Clark desperate face, saying "I knew you were still in there Clark."

Normally I'd say, that it was clearly not Jimmy, but some clone made by HORDR. But seeing that DC just keeps pushing the rope to see when it will snap, I believe it was the real Jimmy. So James Olsen is dead, for now.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@heavenlydarkdragon: to each their own tastes, but I think Mxyzptlk is good, and gives a little comedy when you need it. However, I am not sure I can trust the writers to either pull of some good comical superman, or make it so bad that I can LMAO.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suemorphplus209:

The elements are all there. Just like they were on Future's End.

-The sand Superman.

-Superman in Future's End did say that the sand Superman had to have been a side effect of his last fight with Mxyzptlk.

Maybe once he gets his powers fixed he's gonna search for one of the few beings that could fix his identity problem. And knowing Mxyzptlk, he never does anything without a catch. So maybe Superman is gonna have to face some challenges, Hercules style, to gain that favor from the little Imp.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I'm generally exhausted with Truth for it (surprise, surprise) running too long, the Mythbrawler concept is cool. I hope to get to know these other fighters, which seems like a possibility since they seem to join his fight in Savage Dawn. It looks like its going to be another case of Clark's ability to make friends everywhere he goes. A very Superman-like trait that of course will be ignored in all the continued whining over him being just so MEAN.However this issue was an improvement over Yang's previous issues, just as last month' s issue was. There's some forced drama because you know how things are going to go down, but overall still a good issue.....still can't wait for his powers and his costume to come back.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read any of the post truth stuff (I have 45 sitting on my table) so I'm going to wait and see what it's like. I can say this though, I'm very sad that Geoff John's awesome cliffhanger is going to be left in the wind.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mythbrawler concept is just stupid

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That dust Superman took me back to Future's End. And the talk Future Superman and dust Superman had, and that DC most likely is planning to use Mr. Mxyzptlk to fix Clark secret identity problem.

@suemorphplus209:

The elements are all there. Just like they were on Future's End.

-The sand Superman.

-Superman in Future's End did say that the sand Superman had to have been a side effect of his last fight with Mxyzptlk.

Maybe once he gets his powers fixed he's gonna search for one of the few beings that could fix his identity problem. And knowing Mxyzptlk, he never does anything without a catch. So maybe Superman is gonna have to face some challenges, Hercules style, to gain that favor from the little Imp.

I very much hope you are right. For me at least, that would kill two birds with one stone, namely a second major appearance for Mxyzpltk and an end to this slow-motion car-crash of truth.

It would be something of a cop out, but I'd like the status quo to be restored ASAP.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By VickBat

Root reminded Deathstroke with this mask... Superman clone ... Well there's another man who goes ahead.. Superman clone ... Well there's another man who goes ahead with this BIZARRO army.. and he had more difficulties than Root, who took his power to SUPERMAN.

The Truth Conspiration would not be so bad if it were not for Superman change his attitude and appearance too, definitely it looks like another character, I hope to finish before June, I prefer 1 whole year with Gordon as Batman to lengthen this...

For now the authentic Superman franchises are SM:Lois Clark, Justice League and JL America ..

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It still hasn't impressed me how Clark is a whiny prick about being reduced to Golden Age power status. I mean, plenty of times in Elseworlds and old canon, he had a worse loss of powers, and dealt with it better.