#1 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm bored and curious how many things in MoS is based on some form of Christ analogy.

1. Clark is 33 years old when he starts being Superman. Jesus is supposed to have been 33.

2. Clark being a fisherman. Christ is sometimes called the fisher of men and fishermen are commonly brought up

3. Clark having the DNA structure of all future Kryptonians on his cells he becomes like Christ taking on the sins and souls of the people and delivering them into a heaven.

4. Zod is trying to take over Krypton, not because he is "evil" but because he believes it is the right thing to do, despite what "the father" tell him places Zod in the role of Satan.

5. When Zod brings Clark to the ship he cuts Superman off from nutrients in the air and tries to convince Clark of his plan... This is the Temptation of Christ.

6. When Zod is imprisoned the phantom zone this is the fall of the angels.

7. When Lois falls out of the ship and Clark must save her by going into the terraformed area and then race out... This is Christ going into hell after the crucifixion and returning.

8. When Clark blows up the terraformer this event is representative of the crucifixion

Ok that's enough from me... and I think I'm possibly calling out things that don't particularly work completely now, but meh... What other things can you guys see.

#2 Posted by PowerWoman (3325 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a GOD or Jesus not a news,I remember in the last century,there some people call superman is Jesus

#3 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure Superman was supposed to be more of a Moses figure.

#4 Posted by PowerWoman (3325 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Clark flying to save Lois is the same as going to hell so save a soul? One is ascending the other is desending? I think that on is pushing it...

8? The only person who got crusified was Zod! (Had to)

#6 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman: He was sent from his planet to Earth. Kind of like how Moses was set to the water in a basket. God granted Moses powers in order to deliver the Jews. Superman has powers and was sent to save mankind.

Then again, he was sent by his father to save mankind which makes his story similar to the story of Jesus.

Complicated, really. I guess he's a bit of both.

#7 Edited by PowerWoman (3325 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

Clark flying to save Lois is the same as going to hell so save a soul? One is ascending the other is desending? I think that on is pushing it...

Not in this case. If we relate the Phantom Zone as Hell and the Phantom Zone is a black hole then when he goes to save Lois he'd be "descending into Hell" to save a soul and then flying out would be the Resurrection. It's a stretch but it's the type of thing that I think MoS's creators would have done.

#9 Posted by ccraft (5015 posts) - - Show Bio

So I guess every evil villain in comics can be somehow be Satan related thing.

Only way for MoS to be related to anything Christianity is for the director to admit in trying to do so, but if he doesn't then your 1-8 are incorrect or just coincidence. Most of your reasoning is a bit of a stretch anyways.

#10 Posted by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe WB actually released a sermon guide of some sort to promote the 'Christian aspects' of the movie to pastors. Probably just a marketing ploy.

As a Christian, I try to keep Jesus and Superman separate. There are analogies to be drawn sure, both are messianic figures, saviors of their respective worlds. Beyond that, one is my God and the other my 2nd favorite superhero.

#11 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken said:

@drgnx said:

Not in this case. If we relate the Phantom Zone as Hell and the Phantom Zone is a black hole then when he goes to save Lois he'd be "descending into Hell" to save a soul and then flying out would be the Resurrection. It's a stretch but it's the type of thing that I think MoS's creators would have done.

Except Lois was blown clear of the ship when he saved her, I'm tempted to say the ship was already gone by the time he caught her. And, at the time, it seemed he was generally flying towards Metropolis, and not specifically her. By the time we notice him notice Lois, the phantom zone wasn't even in the picture, we just see him see Lois Falling. Regardless, and most importantly, Lois was never in danger of being sucked into the phantom zone if Superman didn't save her, she would have been a spot on the ground. Which is why I said you're pushing it ...

#12 Posted by consolemaster001 (4893 posts) - - Show Bio

There was plenty of that

#13 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9296 posts) - - Show Bio

How about the whole scene in the church where Clark was juxtaposed in front of the mural of Christ

#14 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000:

Every angle change in that entire scene had a mural of Jesus or Crucifixion cross in the background !

#15 Edited by DocStrange (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken: forgive my saying so but all this seems a bit of a stretch. There are myriad myths and legends that could fit, many presaging Christianity, and it could be argued that the superman mythology was inspired by a long convention of heroes, gods and legends. Do you really think that Jesus was the first and only dying-and-resurrecting god, or the only savior? What it really comes down to, though, is that we could read into it anything we want; like images (divine or otherwise) in the clouds, music played backwards or the Christian bible.

#16 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@docstrange: While that is true and I could just as easily change all my points to fits other gods it would be wrong to in this case as the intent of the writers were specifically to write a Jesus analogy, which is pretty much a copy paste of Moses mythology, which is thematically common among many, if not all religion which means it likely evolved from the same source. The hardest part about mythology is trying to figure out the source of the myth or the sources of the various parts of the myth. Whether they are based on people, for example Hercules or a lot of Warrior gods, or based on nature explanations such as, Nyx, Echo, or Pandora. Or metaphorical such as the story of Adam and Even and Cain and Abel likely is.

I'd bet if a serious study was done you could find a mythological lineage that follows many of the same patterns of language which follows many of the same patterns of human expansion out of Africa. But yeah, just because all that is true, it'd be wrong to look at it in that way simply because the movie's creators purposefully made it to be a Jesus Analogy rather than a basic Mythos analogy.

You can see this in something like Clark reading Plato for some sort of moral guidance. This is nutty. Plato's morality is highly questionable and is in direct contradiction to what Superman ultimately is doing. The reason it is included I'd figure is the link being Plato to Aquinas to Christianity. If they were trying to be more accurate to Superman they'd have John Stuart Mill "On Liberty" or Kant, or Socrates's Euthyphro (although written by Plato it is always attributed to Socrates), or Hume, or Sartre. These would be much better and much more in line with Clark's ultimate choices.

#17 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

- Neighbor's mom saying clark's actions were an "ACT OF GOD"

- Christ pose when father said he can save all of them.

- His face SIDE BY SIDE a face of jesus himself, in the church. (Just in case you still haven't gotten it)

Lol oh so subtle.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32107 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

So I guess every evil villain in comics can be somehow be Satan related thing.

Only way for MoS to be related to anything Christianity is for the director to admit in trying to do so, but if he doesn't then your 1-8 are incorrect or just coincidence. Most of your reasoning is a bit of a stretch anyways.

they did