Deathwish2120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathwish2120

Hi guys.

I've been in to the idea of comics for a fairly long time, but getting them isn't really the easiest thing to do considering they are not really big in the UK. So when I started I mainly stuck to ebay and just bought whatever I thought I'd be interested in.

I got a load of random new 52 single comics and a few TPB's inc Birthright, Red Son and All-Star Superman Vol. 1 ( I also have Green Arrow Y1, Batman Y1, Long Halloween and DKR) and I think I need to scale back what I want to read and start small as to not overwhelm myself.

So I decided to just focus on Superman for the time being, and I was wondering which Superman comics/ graphic novels should I read? I am not to keen on the Superman who is near god like status and stories which are massively important in saving the world ect.

I was a big fan of Smallville, and I think I'd like to read stories about a more grounded version of Superman, perhaps less powered or just centered around small time villains, such as the first half(ish) of Birthright.

Are there any stories like that out there or are they pretty much all in line with, say, Red Son or DKR, where Superman's action have world wide consequences?

Thanks for reading.

*EDIT* Or even just stories featuring a younger Superman/ Clark Kent in Smallville, where he is still on that journey to becoming the typical world saviour.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

• Smallville Season 11
  • Superman: For All Seasons
  • Superman: Secret Identity

Are the first that comes to mind.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your curiosity lasts until November and you're up to collecting single issues (physical or digital), you'll have the Superman: American Alien limited series comic up then. Seems like it'll be right up your alley.

You might also consider the three volumes of Superman: Earth One, even though he's already pretty powerful there. It's a reasonably grounded take, and his actions do have worldwide consequences

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathwish2120:

Outside of the New 52, I'd recommend these comics:

• Superman: For Tomorrow
  • Superman: Last Son Of Earth
  • Superman: Origins
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Reign Of Doomsday

While in the New 52, I'd recommend this runs:

• Morrison (Action Comics)
  • Greg Pak (Batman-Superman)
  • Lobdell (Superman)
  • Greg Pak (Action Comics)

And maybe, just maybe. Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder. It wasn't all it could've been, but it wasn't a total waste.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Smallville Season 11
  • Superman: For All Seasons
  • Superman: Secret Identity

Are the first that comes to mind.

I don't know about Smallville, but this dude is spot on with For All Seasons and Secret Identity. There is one scene in FOS with a dog that brings a tear to my eye every time. It's brilliant. Also, make sure to read ALL of All-Star Superman because that story is just fantastic. Superman: Grounded is pretty good in my opinion, but I know that people aren't huge fans of it. However, you HAVE TO READ It's a Bird... It's a story about Superman but not in the actual comic universe. Trust me. You'll pick it up and start reading and be all "What the hell?" But it pays off, I promise.

Deathwish2120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the info guys.

I've been looking at getting Earth One and finishing All-Star Superman. I had heard about s11 of Smallville but never really looked into so I should probably do some more research.

For All Seasons and Grounded sound very interesting to me, as does Secret Identity.

@self-dceit Thanks for mentioning Superman: American Alien, it sounds exactly what I'm looking for and will certainly look into getting t when its released.

I guess I have about 80+ years of catching up to do with Superman!

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FuzzyLittleRodent
Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathwish2120: No problem, man. It might seem daunting at first, but you're in for quite a ride. Just take your time, pick and choose your titles, and enjoy the wonderful world of Superman in all it has to offer.