Rumoured Superman Titles for DC Rebirth: The Super Man & Man of Steel

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

As part of their rumour articles on DC Rebirth today, the next two Superman titles in DC's rebirth line up include comics titled The Super Man and Man of Steel. The former sounds very similar to Jerry Siegel and Jim Shuster's original super villain take on their Super Man character in a Science Fiction magazine called "The Reign of the Super-Man" a bald headed villain with psychic powers who swore to take over the world. More like an early Ultra Humanite. The latter shares its name with a movie that will undoubtedly live on in infamy in the comic book world. If true, it'll be the third Superman comic after Action Comics and Superman.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

As part of their rumour articles on DC Rebirth today, the next two Superman titles in DC's rebirth line up include comics titled The Super Man and Man of Steel. The former sounds very similar to Jerry Siegel and Jim Shuster's original super villain take on their Super Man character in a Science Fiction magazine called "The Reign of the Super-Man" a bald headed villain with psychic powers who swore to take over the world. More like an early Ultra Humanite. The latter shares its name with a movie that will undoubtedly live on in infamy in the comic book world. If true, it'll be the third Superman comic after Action Comics and Superman.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Ah, if you are talking about the Pre-Flashpoint Superman series called Man of Steel, I actually liked that one. I liked Man of Steel as a movie as well, even though it wasn't perfect.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lvenger

@suemorphplus209: The former was a decent read depending on who the writer was. For the ongoing series called Man of Steel that is, Bryne's Man of Steel is not wholly to my liking. I've said enough on the latter movie at this point.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@lvenger: I liked the Origin story from the 1986 Man of Steel series.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Have no idea what The Super Man could be. To me all i can think of when hearing that is some kind of origin story, it'd be kind of weird if it was a superman ongoing, sounds like an idea, oddly impersonal.

Man of steel, come on Byrne's original run went under the title 'The Man Of Steel'. No matter people's views on a movie, nothing changes what it means, its a tag for Superman.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A title based off the original "Reign of the Super Man" short story could be interesting...though it's, again, another "twisted superman" story and we've been pretty drained by that over the years through various interpretations.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: I know but the reason the Man of Steel tag is being used is because of the movie for obvious reasons. Obviously though that doesn't mean it will be influenced by the movie.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

BC is usually correct on the Superman front but Rich doesn't vouch for these rumors so it is probably not true.

But just so discussion can keep going I say this is a bad idea. Another new direction, after another new direction, which came immediately after another new direction. Directions that either had nothing to say, or didn't have the time to say it properly.

Its another repeat of the already vicious circle Superman is in since the days of New Krypton.And as long as the editorial is the same, the same inane cycle will keep continuing.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Rich says Tomasi is the new writer of the Bi-monthly Superman book.

That's probably true too. Since Tomasi is getting Superman where he wants with the filler. And is capable of producing multiple scripts.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@squalleon: His source is new but he said it has been right in the past

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: His source is new but he said it has been right in the past

Okay.

D@mn though. That pains me. I hope it isn't another rehash of the "evil Superman" cliche.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Oh yay, another evil Superman. Not like we don't have a ton of those

/sarcasm

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger: Rich says Tomasi is the new writer of the Bi-monthly Superman book.

That's probably true too. Since Tomasi is getting Superman where he wants with the filler. And is capable of producing multiple scripts.

Why I think Tomasi is a good choice:

Tomasi has shown he is a capable writer. But mostly he is an editor and a loyal DC writer which means he will try to write "meat and potatoes" stories.

Now you will say why is that good? Because Superman needs world-building. He is plagued by constant deconstruction and unstable status quo. When the writer is forced to work with a certain set of boundaries he has to build new toys to say something new and exciting inside said boundaries. Sometimes restriction releases more creativity than freedom since complete freedom makes writers exhaust the same 5 cliches. And Tomasi thrives through restriction since he always played second fiddle to another writer's story but sometimes stole the spotlight (like with INC and B&R).

Tomasi may just as well do what Superman needs. Meat and potatoes, introduction and evolution of teams,agencies,characters, heroes and villains to the point that they can become strong enough to last on their own and the world feels complete, rich and organic.

He has shown he can do exactly that in GLC and B&R.

As for the more out there stories or the A-talent. The other titles will be there to fill the gap. New voices can enter Superman and tale their tale through the monthly titles that will published along side the Bi-weekly. And for the better.

Still I would like a strong new voice on Superman. Yang was one I was excited about but he had to play with Truth. Which was un-salvageable. I hope we get an all age title from him.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hm if it's Tomasi righting the main book I will probably check out one of these others instead.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Eh Tomasi's recent work has taken a downward turn. I dont follow SM/WW but his first arc on Tec was very mediocre however the last issue of the new arc was good.

Squalleon is right about one thing,Tomasi does work better with restriction. His last issue (which was good) completely ignored the Robo Bat suit and went straight to detective work. He'll treat the supporting characters and villains with respect and try to involve them as much as possible but the stories may be inconsistent in quality. Relationships are his strong points so if he focuses on those primarily and doesn't try to go too big and out there then the book should be good.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bomb.

They all need to bomb

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh Tomasi's recent work has taken a downward turn. I dont follow SM/WW but his first arc on Tec was very mediocre however the last issue of the new arc was good.

Squalleon is right about one thing,Tomasi does work better with restriction. His last issue (which was good) completely ignored the Robo Bat suit and went straight to detective work. He'll treat the supporting characters and villains with respect and try to involve them as much as possible but the stories may be inconsistent in quality. Relationships are his strong points so if he focuses on those primarily and doesn't try to go too big and out there then the book should be good.

Exactly.

If DC wants a bi-weekly for their events etc. At least Tomasi will be able to make the most out of it. I didn't like his Sm/Ww too. But Sm/ww was never good to begin with. I hope in Super League he will show the kind of talent that will make his Bi-weekly title appealing.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The Super Man" could just be a Superman series set during World War 2, the 1950s, or some other bygone era. You know, complete with Clark Kent wearing the fedora, changing in a phone booth, etc.. And a real paper newspaper that was important. That sounds like a series I'd enjoy. Sort of Superman meets Mad Men. :) That's how a lot of us think of Superman anyhow, right? More the guy rescuing Lois at the Daily Planet in a 50-60 years old type setting than Clark uploading a story on his cell phone to his blog. :) Of course, we'd still want a modern-day Superman title or two as well. :) This should be an extra Superman and not a replacement Superman IMO.

The only reason I'm thinking that a throwback Superman could be a possibility, though, is because the name makes it sound kind of old-timey. I don't have any inside information. Hopefully, it's not some sort of steampunk 19th century Superman, which I'd probably pass on it (Not a big fan of the 19th century as a setting for superheroes), but if it's a 20th century Superman that gets back to his roots but with more adult story telling given that the current audience is more adult than what it was when the books were being written in the 50s, I'd buy it.

The name itself only works well if it's a throwback, I think. People might expect a name like that for something like that- it sort of fits. If "The Super Man" is just Superman in 2016 doing Superman in 2016 stuff in the same continuity as Superman and Action Comics, they'd have been better off calling it "The Adventures of Superman" or whatever- "The Super Man" in the context of it being set in 2016 sounds weird and like they're somehow trying to channel "The Bat Man". If it's set in the first half of the 20th century, you can kind of picture people calling him "The Super Man", just because that's how I imagine some people talking back then.

"Man of Steel" is fine as a title. It's one of Superman's most iconic nicknames. I'm not that familiar with the first comic of that name, and didn't much care for the movie, but the nickname is a good one, so it makes a reasonable series name as long as it's not drawing too much from the movie. :) I like it, and could see it lining up with Action Comics and Superman just fine.

With two new title launches plus Trinity being biweekly, and possibly Superman going to a bi-weekly format, it would make sense for them to cancel Batman-Superman and Superman-Wonder Woman, which would be highly redundant since you get 2 comics a month of trinity with the three of them together, 1 comic of the justice league with the three of them together, possibly 1 comic a month of justice league of america with the three of them together if they keep that in it's current or a similar format, plus all the other individual titles related to each character where the other character could show up. :)

In a sense, the new "Trinity" comic that's rumored to be twice a month would drop in and replace Batman-Superman and Superman-Wonder Woman, each once a month, exactly. You still get 2 comics a month, with the same three characters, just all as a trio in each of the 2 comics instead of one each of Superman teaming with each person.

I love Superman, but I can only afford so many comics a month. :) It doesn't make sense to flood the market with like a dozen Superman titles if people can't afford to buy them all. So adding new ones one would think would mean some cuts, which I'm fine with within reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great, more trades to wait a year for.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lvenger
deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: 4 ongoing titles. Triangle era is back huh? Expect line wide crossover within 3 months of relaunch.