• 59 results
#1 Edited by Squalleon (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

The article :http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/11/john-romita-jr-on-leaving-marvel-for-superman-and-working-with-neil-gaiman-mark-waid-jonathan-ross-and-more-mark-millar/

At San Diego Comic Con, Bleeding Cool broke the rumour that John Romita Jr, dissatisfied with contractual arrangements with Marvel, was considering not renewing his Marvel contract, and taking up DC Comics’ offer of Superman.

ComicBook.com: What are the odds we’ll see you outside Marvel?

John Romita, Jr.: Yeah, there’s a good chance I’ll do some work for DC. There’s a better-than-good chance now. It really just came up because we couldn’t agree on a contract with Marvel. And there wasn’t any kind of nastiness or anything like that, just a disagreement here or there. DC is anxious to do something and I actually had a story idea they really liked that applies to Superman.

All the creator-owned projects that I have lined up with writers that I have been absolutely enthralled to work with, are all about a year down the road before they’re prepared. Neil Gaiman, Mark Millar, Mark Waid and so on–so those guys won’t be ready until a year hence. Which means I can do one of two things–just go freelance and play around or I can just sign a one-year contract with somebody to do a storyline that I want, which is a good possibility because I have a couple of plots lined up that I’m really fascinated. One of them applies to a couple of characters, one of which is Superman, and I’m excited about the storyline. It would apply to Superman very well. It would apply to Silver Surfer, it would apply to Doctor Strange, but I’m fascinated at the thought of doing something like applying this to Superman. So there’s a good chance. And I’m excited by any kind of challenge and any kind of change.

#2 Posted by Saren (25903 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty bad news. Does anyone really want Rectangle Man drawing Supes?

#3 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

No...It looks like a downgrade from Rocaforth...Well...It is a downgrade.

#4 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1441 posts) - - Show Bio

Has he ever written anything before? in terms of art it would be a downgrade but im afraid hes gonna be writting as well.

#5 Edited by SoA (4946 posts) - - Show Bio

exactly .

#6 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Where did I put that...

It's around here somewhere...

Ah, there it is.

*Picks up and drinks a bottle of bleach*

#7 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

oh sh*T....

#8 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't stand his art.

#9 Posted by CheeseSticks (2537 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, poor New 52 Superman. He's getting such a bad treatment since the reboot. I'm glad i'm not a Supes fan.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33974 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when did JRJ start plotting comics?

#11 Posted by Black Lantern Mar-vell (2040 posts) - - Show Bio

Wether it's Marvel or DC I guess he has to ruin the look of SOMEONE'S comics? After all you wouldn't want the untalented hack to be homeless & starve...or would you?

#12 Posted by Squalleon (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I don't know, what makes worry is that he said that the plot line could apply to many characters.
So it must be pretty generic...

#13 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (944 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he's not on unchained, then i'm fine... i know Jim lee is not going to do an entire 50 issues worth or something close to that, (if unchained is an ongoing i'm assuming) but having Romita Jr. as a replacement will definitely be a step down. On the other hand, if he does jump on Lobdell's Superman... then i don't really give a hoot and it actually adds more incentive for me NOT TO FOLLOW that superman anymore, since the only reason i really follow that series is because of Rocafort's beautiful art.

If that does happen and Rocafort leaves Lobdell, i hope he'll do art for Superman Unchained or a team book like Justice League of America.... =O

Just my 2 cents ^_^

#14 Posted by Cap10nate (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just so happy that he is leaving my favorite character (Captain America) that I can't feel bad yet for Supes fans.

In all honesty though, his action scenes are done very well but faces are rough and everything is very rigid.

#15 Edited by Lvenger (20782 posts) - - Show Bio

Bugger it. I hate the guy's artwork. If he's coming to DC, at least let him be the artist for Lobdell's Superman. Then I'll have twice the reasons not to follow that title.

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14991 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like I am the only guy on the site that still liked Romita Jr.'s artwork and maybe the only one that is happy to see him outside Marvel and in DC.I really want to see what is the project he is talking about and I really want to see his take on Superman and other DC related characters.I also hope that he gets a nice colorist and inker like in ASM when his style was enjoyable not like his work in Captain America currently when it hurts the eyes.

#17 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

JRJR at his best isn't really that bad. So im hoping that h's at his best on this comic. I really enjoyed his Daredevil work

#18 Posted by Squalleon (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: I loved his Spiderman run.
It really depends on the staff he is working with and the story.
His style could fit perfectly in stories like New Gods because he could imitate the Kirby cosmic style.
So if has a good inker with him and goes cosmic i think his work will be really good.

#19 Posted by Riot_Sqrrl (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed his work until the new Captain America book. That really is a squalid comic all around.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

Unchained,bet on it,Lee cant do an ongoing,he just cant.

#21 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

JRJR is amazing when it comes to certain characters...like Spider-man or Daredevil but then there's characters that he just sucks at....I'm thinking that Superman would be one of them....I think he does his best stuff with street level characters....he would probably be a good fit on a Batman book

#22 Posted by SOG7dc (7530 posts) - - Show Bio

Well.....at least it's not Humberto Ramos.

#23 Posted by w0nd (3729 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

Well.....at least it's not Humberto Ramos.

I would have preferred that, since he doesn't draw heads like boxes...Romita's heads look robotic

#24 Posted by EmperorJosh (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you guys are being too tough on poor JRJR. His art style is different, yeah, but that's the beauty and glory of comic books. Tim Sales Superman is drastically different from Ed McGuinness' but that's the fun. They're all good in their own way. I really enjoy Rocaforts art on Superman, but we need a change every now and again. I for one would love to see JRJR on a completely new characters especially someone as iconic as Big Blue himself

#25 Posted by Doctorholmes241 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like his art though

#26 Edited by heroesgold (608 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by The_Tree (7738 posts) - - Show Bio

Gross.

#28 Posted by noj (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow you people are freaking ridiculous. JRJR is aa great artist! Its not shitty just because it doesnt appeal to you. Chill out! I for one would love to see some of his work at DC. I would be very interested to see his take on Superman, maybe a 4th World story since his work can have such a Kirbyesque appeal. I would really love to see him on Nightwing though. Im not 100% sure why but I think his art would be a great fit there.

But my dream project for him at DC would be on a Robin solo featuring Damian Wayne. He's proven he can draw crazy violent kids with Hit Girl and I would LOVE to see a Robin solo. Give Damian his sword back and watch him kick ass!

#29 Edited by w0nd (3729 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: people aren't ridiculous because they hate something. It's liked by some loved bye some and disliked by others. If this was a fan page dedicated to how awesome he is then sure complaining about him would be kind of stupid, but since it's not, both opinions are justified! If people call it shitty they think it's shitty doesn't make it fact just opinion.

#30 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2009 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh I like his art most of the time

#31 Posted by Night Thrasher (3699 posts) - - Show Bio

romita-superman-surfer

Preview of what's to come! Hehe....

I do like JRJr on certain characters though. He's one of the best ever on Spider-Man and Daredevil. His Cap and new Iron Man stuff sucks though. His Thor was AMAZING!

#32 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1329 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj:agree his art can totally work for a 4th world book omg now i really want it to happen lol

#33 Posted by Z3RO180 (6623 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his art but I have seen his superman and I'm not looking forward to super square head-man :/

#34 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

This

#35 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: Rocaforth should stay with Superman...all he needs is a better writer.

#36 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, poor New 52 Superman. He's getting such a bad treatment since the reboot. I'm glad i'm not a Supes fan.

I'm glad I'm not you.

#37 Edited by CheeseSticks (2537 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

First off, Tim Sale Superman sucks.

Secondly, if anyone's gonna be on a Fourth World book, it's Cliff Chiang.

Thirdly, JRJR. Sucks so much ass that his breath smells of rectum.

#39 Posted by gregroyj42 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his art. He's not the best but better than a lot I like his stuff better than Jim lees

#40 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

#41 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1858 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Superman can't catch a break. This makes me love Superman Unchained even more

#44 Posted by CheeseSticks (2537 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Marvel can send DC Dan Slott next.

They can kill Super Man and have Luthor take over his body, then have Luthor kill him again in his mind.

photo sw2524475.gif

#46 Edited by toptom (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

i've never liked his art...except from his Immortals run. But we can easily compare it with an oasis in the desert.

c'mon supes..c'mon..

#47 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

photo original-2.gif

#48 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12025 posts) - - Show Bio

Unchained,bet on it,Lee cant do an ongoing,he just cant.

Why not?

#49 Edited by Deranged Midget (17723 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I don't know. Romita Jr is one of my all time favourite Spider-Man artists but it doesn't really work that well for much else. His art is acceptable for Captain America (which I thought he was locked into).

#50 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him on Spider-Man, but I hated his work on Cap.