#1 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1084 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (25281 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone would be shocked at the alarming display of incompetence they in their jobs. And I am not saying that just because of MoS... I am referring to their overblown negativity towards anything.

#3 Posted by Veshark (9292 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more worried that all this (largely undeserved) overwhelmingly-negative reaction will affect the box office numbers of the movie....

#4 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (15482 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

You either die a hero.....Or you live long enough to see yourself become a douchebag

#5 Edited by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Loading Video...

You either die a hero.....Or you live long enough to see yourself become a douchebag

Ha!

#6 Posted by The Stegman (28772 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly didn't know anyone cared about RT..until about 20 threads were made about their opinions on here...

#7 Posted by Black_Claw (3272 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares? Your opinion alone should be the only one that matters.

#8 Posted by Eternal19 (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly didn't know anyone cared about RT..until about 20 threads were made about their opinions on here...

this, people keep whining because not everyone liked the movie

and this

#9 Edited by Bezza (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

55% is a joke! Even lower than Wolverine Origins or Last Stand. Its a great film. Not to everyone's tastes maybe, but at least 70% would be nearer the truth.

#10 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

This.

#11 Edited by Z3RO180 (7710 posts) - - Show Bio

People rotten tomatoes are not a good source for movie reviews

#12 Edited by Farkam (5780 posts) - - Show Bio

Critics rarely enjoy films made for the masses. While I haven't seen the movie yet, I only care about my opinion. Anyone elses is irrelevant. : - )

#13 Edited by Extremis (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone's shocked at the low score? What else is new. The people who claim critics don't matter are the exact same people whining about a stupid tomatometer. I actually happen to agree with the tomato meter in this case, but at least I don't let critics make my decision for me.

#14 Posted by SandMan_ (4581 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't listen to critics. Gladiator is like 70% in RT.

But I would like this to be rectify since a lot of 'rotten' reviews are supposed to be 'fresh'.

#15 Edited by Ciriel (414 posts) - - Show Bio
@extremis said:

Someone's shocked at the low score? What else is new. The people who claim critics don't matter are the exact same people whining about a stupid tomatometer. I actually happen to agree with the tomato meter in this case, but at least I don't let critics make my decision for me.

Well said, I needn't argue on this topic.

#16 Posted by novi_homines (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@ciriel said:
@extremis said:

Well said, I needn't argue on this topic.

This. Also, WB ( Man of Steel producer) owns rottentomatoes. So i'm not in the least bit surprised. They themselves know the affect Rottentomatoes can have on the average movie goer. So financially, this was a smart move for them.

#17 Edited by Extremis (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: haha wow that's rich. So they basically have people paid at RT who then claim the whole "it's better than its rated, really!" bit. Shame shame.

#18 Posted by sinestro_GL (3511 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question, would you trust the review of a movie based on one magazine? No.

Same thing applies to a website.

If you REALLY cared about the opinions of critics, wouldn't it make sense to consider other sources, such as IMDB? Or even reviews from NYT? Yes.

I don't understand what the big deal is. I haven't seen MoS yet. Naturally, there are bound to be loads of MoS threads for the foreseeable future, which is why I haven't been around the forums lately, but I am really surprised to see that a lot of Viners have made a big commotion about RT alone.

#19 Posted by Extremis (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_: why do you care to rectify it? The whole 3/5 being a rotten and 'should' be a fresh review has been around and debated for a long time by other people. But It's up to the reviewer what they want to give it ultimately. Also, why should you even care as you "don't listen to critics"?

You won't rectify this as you CAN'T. The reviews are in. Just move on. If you like it don't let a stupid review meter that counts 'fresh' and freaking 'rotten' tomatoes as a basis of review ruin it for you. Take it with a grain of salt man.

I've said all I need to say. *drops mic, walks off stage*

#20 Posted by Outside_85 (11614 posts) - - Show Bio

Think it mostly down to most movie critics not also being comicbook fans, they can get well and truly behind Nolans Batman because it's not really a comicbook movie, MOS however is and I think thats what bothers them.

#21 Edited by dbatdog (549 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie reviews are all subjective. All that matters is if you enjoy the movie or not. :)

#22 Edited by SandMan_ (4581 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: I don't care about what some idiot critic said. I was just pointing it out.

#23 Edited by Extremis (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: they're both comic book movies. If anything MoS is done more in the style of Nolan's Batman films considering its his production.

You could say if everyone was comic book fans they'd like it, but what does that really mean? If everyone was fans of teenage vampire love stories critics would have been friendlier to Twilight. Lets stop making excuses and just accept that critics didn't like it as much as audiences.

#24 Posted by inferiorego (22641 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#26 Posted by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't like anything...

#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29814 posts) - - Show Bio

They like Superman Returns more than Man of Steel.

:P

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

@vance_astro said:

They like Superman Returns more than Man of Steel.

:P

-_- Damnit.....

#29 Edited by Outside_85 (11614 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@outside_85: they're both comic book movies. If anything MoS is done more in the style of Nolan's Batman films considering its his production.

You could say if everyone was comic book fans they'd like it, but what does that really mean? If everyone was fans of teenage vampire love stories critics would have been friendlier to Twilight. Lets stop making excuses and just accept that critics didn't like it as much as audiences.

Thats where you're wrong, MoS is a straight-faced superhero movie because it is a visual spectacle, it starts off with one, there's a whole bunch of smaller ones along the way and the last 30 min or so it is one massive one. The Batman movies are not spectacles, they are thrillers with 'capes' in them.

Comicbook fans are much more willing to embrace the spectacles of something like MoS, because thats pretty much what we are used to from the comics. Movie critics on the other hand are in a way more hardened and they need something other than a visual spectacle to earn their A stamp.

#30 Edited by Extremis (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: there are plenty of comics without spectacle. Its all about the scale of the hero. And a Superman movie is bound to have more than a Batman film, him being a super powerful alien with fights that level buildings and all. You say the spectacle is what comic fans enjoyed, but there are lots of comic readers who aren't in it just for action. Some of us like good solid character development to further invest us into the characters. That's something MoS lacked, and many reviewers have pointed this out. Also, the amount of spectacle in the movie being its weakness it's own fault. If the film showed a little more restraint in this aspect, the film could have set up more impactful action sequences instead of drowning the viewer in minutes of explosions and general destruction.

Once again, Nolan's Batman films are superhero films. Just because they're smart an well directed doesn't mean they're not. They just transcend what movies like MoS TRY to do.

#31 Posted by DigbyKong (306 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

i personally don't care about critics opinions and i liked the film... but some superman fans care about it because this might affect the films subsequent performances, especially with monsters university and world war z. coming up soon..and those acting all "holier than thou" if u are so carefree and don't care about what others think.. why do u care enough to get riled up when u see someone caring about the rating on RT. Again, i care about it.. not as a measure of quality, but as a measure of its performance past the opening weekend, especially with big rivals coming up. admittedly there has been instances when critics and audiences have widely disagreed.. maybe MOS could pull a Transformers or a Pirates of the Caribbean.... but its not a given yet. And the future of the entire DC cinematic unierse hinges upon it.. also i would really like to see MOS 2.

#33 Posted by Durakken (1930 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say the critics are right.

The reason so many people think it's a good movie is because they think Snyder is a good director, Nolan is a good director, Goyer is a good writer, Superman is their favorite character, the studio spent such a large amount of money, there were "Super" things that a lot of people have wanted to see in a Superman film... and then you further pile on that a lot of people want more Superman Movies and a Justice League movie... It all together comes together to create this psychological block for most people which disallows them to see the flaws and accentuate the good parts. Not to mention that a lot of people simply love it for the Superman as Analogy for Jesus nonsense in it.

I would also point out that it's sad, because what they got wasn't a very good movie if you strip away the Superman name, and they didn't get Superman. In fact that is what most people who try to defend it say "It's not the superman from the comics or from..." Well then it's not superman. Stop talking cuz you are wrong when you say that. Another thing I've heard multiple times is that the fight scenes were like you'd imagine DBZ would look like if they did it right... Well here's the thing, no. It's like certain fighting games, how they look. I swear I've seen some of those movements before in fighting games. The CGI was rather bad in those places and the flow of the fights were like watching 2 bad players playing a fighting game just throwing super combos at each other to see what they looked like and the idea they were going for realistic and then throw that in there was really quite jarring.

Some of these problems can be overlooked, but when you bring all the problems with the movie together it just isn't good, but the common person who only really cares about the fight scenes which is what a lot of what people liked and ignored the things around the fight scenes in multiple senses... and then are also ignoring the problems with the fight scenes themselves.

I personally felt there was something just off about every thing in the movie... I'm curious how many of you laughed in the scene with Lois and Jor-El. That should have been a funny scene, but wasn't. I felt they were going for funny, but something wasn't quite right. Same thing with the first flight scene. I know that they were trying to make me feel exhilarated and feel the wonder of flight, but that scene just didn't work. The cut between Clark's landing and the next scene... It felt like the landing scene should have been longer or something more added before switching over. The Zod/Jor-el fight at the beginning felt like it should have had more gravitas, but it didn't... and on and on scene after scene there were just things that were wrong or just didn't work that I'm pretty sure could be fixed with either a slightly different writing or with slight alterations... or in some cases just care to details that were hidden away by "OMG COOL! FIGHTING!" A lot of it suffers from the same thing that Nolan's Batman series does, you get tricked into thinking a certain way, but upon a slight bit care to the details most of it falls apart on one level or another.

#34 Edited by k4tzm4n (39441 posts) - - Show Bio

The funny thing is the film should technically be fresh.

6.3/10 =...rotten? O RLY?

Staff
#35 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

The funny thing is the film should technically be fresh.

6.3/10 =...rotten? O RLY?

this post owns

#36 Posted by leych (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Returns is at 75%.

Spiderman 3 is at 63%.

I don't care about RT and I don't think anyone should.

#37 Posted by Vaeternus (9558 posts) - - Show Bio

RT= Horrible reviews