#1 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

The nocebo effect is the negative reaction experienced by a patient who receives a nocebo. Conversely, a placebo is an inert substance that creates either a positive response or no response in a subject who takes it. The phenomenon in which a placebo creates a positive response in the subject to which it is administered is called the placebo effect.

Both nocebo and placebo effects are entirely psychogenic. Rather than being caused by a biologically active compound in the nocebo or placebo itself, these reactions result from a subject's expectations about how the substance will affect him or her. Though they originate exclusively from psychological sources, nocebo effects can be either psychological or physiological.

Superman in other words, cause most of the Krypnonite effect, this explain how Batman could use a ring against him, why he the red sun light takes his powers.

Clark fears kryptonite and the red sun to the point, he loses his power faster that he should.

1. Superman gets his powers from the yellow sun rays, still if you use anything that make him belive the Sun is Red or you use Red Light Superman start losing his powers, even when is not real red sun rays.

2. Kyptonite work because it poisons Superman with his radiation faster that humans, still you notice that when he is around kryptonite he loses is power not in seconds, in the exact moment he gets expose to this, if this was the truth, human would had the same problem, still it looks the radiation would take years to actually poison a normal human, even when radiation can hurt Superman, you notice this radiation hurts him faster that any other type or radiation.

Clark fears this thing because nothing can hurt him, heck he could be immortal for all we know, since this are the only few things that can kill him or hurt him, his mind and body reacts to them faster that they should, this is based on the fact he fears them, that explain why he dont have to see it, just the fact he feels the radiation or the rays, it makes his subconscious act again himself.

This explain why Batman keeps using the ring and not a body armour made of Kryptonite, as long as Clark is afraid of this, dont matter how much Kryptonite he uses, Clark is his own worst enemy.

#2 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

So your point is that Superman's weakness in psychosomatic inducing physiological symptoms?

#3 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

So your point is that Superman's weakness in psychosomatic inducing physiological symptoms?

Yes and no, there is real physiological problem, but Superman fear make this reaction more powerfull and faster, the Kryptonite and Red Sun does weak him and poison him, but not as fast and strong as he belives.

In other word, if you tell him the kyptonite will cause him hallucinations, he will have hallucinations, just because he belive te kryptonite will cause them.

#4 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, but is there any textual support for this? I mean, when you're faced with any arbitrary magical limit on powers (e.g., Green Lanterns and the color yellow) it's easy to step in and argue that it's psychosomatic because the limit is clearly arbitrary outside the realm of fantasy.

#5 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just theory. The Fact is that story elements will dictate different, often inconsistent, results to suit the plot needs.

#6 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Well its a comic book and the amount of time it takes for kryptonite to effect him and how much of it he needs to effect him all depends on the writer, not superman's state of mind

#7 Posted by w0nd (3265 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, but what about the people who have either stolen/borrowed, or have the same powers, experiencing the same weakness' without being told the effects of them? Plus like everyone else has said depends on the writers.

#8 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: @eternal19: @eternal19: @press_oblivion:This explains everything, but this would mean that a lizard can beat Superman with the right writter.

Also, it could be the fear to get sick or death, Superman mind work like the human one for what we have seen, if Superman have this problem even with his mind being trained , it would make more sense with people that dont have any defense.

@fodigg: Isnt the yellow impurity the thing that actually takes the power from the green lantern power, also it would explain all this lantern color insanity.

#9 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Isnt the yellow impurity the thing that actually takes the power from the green lantern power, also it would explain all this lantern color insanity.

That explanation is no more grounded in reality than "kryptonite" or "red sunlight". It's just as susceptible to this type of analysis.

#10 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

That explanation is no more grounded in reality than "kryptonite" or "red sunlight". It's just as susceptible to this type of analysis.

I am saying is a real problem, but Superman is overreacting to this things.

#11 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Why is it a real issue for one and an overreaction for the other? What text-based evidence do you have for the latter?

#12 Edited by w0nd (3265 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

I don't know, I don't think so in my opinion anyway, because I have read stories where other people got his powers and kryptonite was used on them and they fell to the floor in the same dramatic way.

There is nothing written to suggest he is over reacting or it's subconcious, heck in some stories he handles it just fine, like throwing an island of it into space haha, or holding a piece of it in his hand to weaken himself so he could join the football team.

#13 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10228 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Why is it a real issue for one and an overreaction for the other? What text-based evidence do you have for the latter?

Is an overreaction to both of his weakness, people overreacts to many thing, big example terrorism, climate change and sexual slavery, real problem that peopl see out of proportion.

@w0nd said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

I don't know, I don't think so in my opinion anyway, because I have read stories where other people got his powers and kryptonite was used on them and they fell to the floor in the same dramatic way.

There is nothing written to suggest he is over reacting or it's subconcious, heck in some stories he handles it just fine, like throwing an island of it into space haha, or holding a piece of it in his hand to weaken himself so he could join the football team.

The amazing thing, an small ring makes Batman punch Superman to the next monday, but an island made of Kryptonite dont kill him in 3 second, even when the more radiactvie material there is, the more radiation you get.

I am just trying to find the reason why he react exactly the same to small radiation and a hell lot of radiation.

#14 Edited by w0nd (3265 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000:

Because of bad writing, that's literally all it is. Kara had kryptonite poisoning and Crystal spike powers shot out of her body which actually made her more of a threat.

#15 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@fodigg said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Is an overreaction to both of his weakness, people overreacts to many thing, big example terrorism, climate change and sexual slavery, real problem that peopl see out of proportion.

I'm not asking you to explain your theory, I'm asking you to support it using examples from the text of the comics.