#1 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

So IGN posted an interview with Snyder on the upcoming film. Link is:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/zack-snyder-says-theres-no-kryptonite-in-man-of-steel?abthid=51674318abd6baa50f00001f

As the title says, there will be no kryptonite present in the Man of Steel movie.

Personally, I think this is a very good thing. For starters, Superman's opponents are Zod and Faora, so there is no need to have kryptonite present to bring Superman down in power so that someone like Lex Luthor can get the better of him. Second, I think the previous films focused far too much on the use of kryptonite and even most writers are unable to properly use the weakness in an effective manner (though I did think its use in Superman Returns made for a nice dark twist when Supes was getting kicked around by Luthor's thugs).

Though of course successive films could bring kryptonite back into the fold, it could be nice if it never came up in the new movie universe and instead the focus of weakening Superman followed the creation of red solar radiation as is the case in the second issue of Superman - Earth One. Trying to make weapons that simulate a red sun would be the perfect reason to bring Lex Luthor fully into the new movie universe as the man the government turns to to head the project (wouldn't even mind if they did the mr. and mrs. luthor thing from Earth One and Lex at first has no quarrel with Superman and is simply fulfilling a contract but the death of his wife as a result of a battle or action taken by/against Superman is what creates their legendary hatred) and thus bring Lex's character in-line with the comics rather than the "criminal mastermind" Hackman and Spacey played (of which both gave superb performances but in the end the over-the-top schemes are far too juvenile for the type of superhero films that audiences demand today).

I mean, do we want to see successive Superman films where he's brought down by a kryptonite necklace and simply writhes on the ground/passes out or do we want to see awesome action scenes of Superman getting surrounded by opponents with red solar guns and slowly having his powers drained as he struggles against superior numbers? My money is on the second being far more exciting and also a far better way to show Superman having to adapt and survive a situation rather than what we've gotten in the past of Superman either being at full power and invincible or crippled and incapacitated by kryptonite.

#2 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how to feel

#3 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad. It may be part of the lore, but whoever came up with it had no understanding of how radiation works (and why it's dangerous). Just a lazy plot device.

#4 Posted by BillzTheGodOfDestruction (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy about it. Make it appear in the sequel.

#5 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always wanted the comics to reboot out all the silly weaknesses like kryptonite, fire, etc. I am glad the movies are taking the lead to get rid of kryptonite. Denny tried to get rid of kryptonite in the beginning of the bronze age but kryptonite came back fast. I watched all 10 seasons of Smallville and Clark always looked stupid on his knees or looking constipated bec. of stepping on some green rock. The justice league cartoons depowered Superman so the cartoons had no need for kryptonite also. If the Justice League movies use Kalibak, Steppenwolf, Devilance, Despero, Ultraman, Starbreaker, white martians, anti monitor, etc. there should be no need for kryptonite. I prefer to see Superman get beaten up by Faora rather than falling down bec. of a green rock. Superman was beaten up by Faora in the bronze age when Faora was first invented. If the subsequent movies use Eradicator, Lobo, Mongul, Doomsday, Brainiac, Imperiex, etc. there should be no need for Kryptonite. Here is my favorite cover from the bronze age bec. it was very sexy and it has part 2 of the first Faora story :

http://www.comics.org/issue/31085/cover/4/

#6 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

He's facing kryptonian soldiers and ppl are worried abt there not bein kryptonite?? Do ull want him to die?!! Lol m not that worried about it, if he's facing a more human threat like Lex,kryptonite is plausible,remember there wasn't any kryptonite in superman 2.

#7 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Good, Kryptonite is generally a cop out and is always used incorrectly in the movies. It would surprise people, I think, to hear that Superman struggling, but giving it his all and lifting the Kryptonite island at the end of Returns is more like Superman in the comics then in the middle when a little exposure immediately depowers him.

Next time I see a Superman movie with Kryptonite, say because Lex Luthor needs something to do, put Lex into a power suit that makes him comparable to Supes, and have its main weapons be K-nite and red sun canons. OR, have Lex and John Corben in a movie together, leading to Metallo. No more Deus Ex Machina Kryptonite.

#8 Posted by Dernman (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

Good.

The Kryptonite angle is tired and definitely doesn't need to be used in a movie where the enemies like Zod.

#9 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. I'd like to explain but the others before me have already worded my sentiments.

#10 Posted by Teerack (6331 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be nice to see something different in at least one Superman film so i'm glad.

#11 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Good.

The Kryptonite angle is tired and definitely doesn't need to be used in a movie where the enemies like Zod.

But it can. Radiation suit plus Superman holding the kryptonite in their presence...

#12 Posted by Black_Claw (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good that Kryptonite won't be in this film. Hell, I won't even mind if Kryptonite is held off till the 3rd film (should there be one). The public needs to know that Kryptonite isn't the only weakness of Superman.

#13 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good that Kryptonite won't be in this film. Hell, I won't even mind if Kryptonite is held off till the 3rd film (should there be one). The public needs to know that Kryptonite isn't the only weakness of Superman.

That too is a sentiment I share.

#14 Posted by MikeHezekiah (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's an interesting take on the new film...and I love it. This rules out the theory I had of how superman was actually going to defeat zod/faora ect.; with kryptonite. And it also means this movie will be more action based to find Clark's vulnerabilities instead of the obvious Kryptonite.

#15 Posted by Dernman (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Good.

But it can. Radiation suit plus Superman holding the kryptonite in their presence...

That's why I said doesn't need and not can't. It's also why I said tired. They've went to that pool too many times. I think it's time for more creativity and after the last Superman movie more action.

#16 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

While I don't want them to strike Kryptonite from the lore, I AM glad they won't be using it in 'Man of Steel'. Lex Luthor and kryptonite have been done in previous movies, and while I DO want to see what this new franchise can do with them later; I want a fresher start for this first movie.

True, Zod's been done as well, but this is Hollywood. You can't expect them to be too original.

#17 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonite isn't essential to a good Superman story and, contrary to popular belief, Superman is vulnerable to plenty.

#18 Posted by consolemaster001 (5595 posts) - - Show Bio

good

#19 Posted by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!

#20 Edited by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! I'd like to think that Superman's ability to refrain from killing and his love for Earth's people are the only things that hold him back.

#21 Edited by Bruxae (13871 posts) - - Show Bio

This is GREAT news, its rediculous how everyone and their mother has kryptonite in their back pocket, it always stops Superman from going full out slugfest until death.

#22 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad it's being done this way. It makes the villains more interesting because then they actually have to think of ways to stop Superman instead of relying on the kryptonite that happens to be sitting at their feet.

#23 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

If the movies depower Superman a little like in the JL cartoons, Iron Man Lex and cyborg Metallo should be able to beat up Superman even without kryptonite.

#24 Posted by consolemaster001 (5595 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it's not following the "Beat supes with kryptonite cliche"

#25 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8761 posts) - - Show Bio