New 52 Superman's Actual Strength?

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I found a calculation that puts New 52 Superman's max bench as being 1 decillion during Superman #13: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/superman-165/i-calculated-how-strong-superman-is-new-52-751618/

Superman is very intelligent and experienced, so I'm sure he knows how to throw a punch. I applied this logic the difference between human's punching/benching and came up with Superman's hardest punch (at that point in time) could be something like 5,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (5.8 Septillion) megatons of force. 53,000,000,000,000,000 megatons is needed to destroy Earth. His punch would be over 100,000,000x greater.

In summary, we've had pros being capable of punching over 10x as much as they bench. That gave me over 10 decillion. That divided by 2000 gave me my result in tons, then divided by 1,000,000 gave me my result in megatons.

I just love doing math for feats and I thought this was pretty cool.

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

He benched the planet for 5 days no more no less

I applied this logic the difference between human's punching/benching and came up with Superman's hardest punch (at that point in time) could be something like 5,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (5.8 Septillion) megatons of force

No Caption Provided

Clearly Superman punches nowhere close to what you are wanking it to be

lol

also found something of note

Actually... Given Superman Unchained #2... I can give you an exact amount of power that Superman could possibly have.

Every 90 seconds (that's what a moment is and what Batman would likely have meant exactly rather than colloquially) Superman takes in 140 gigawatts of solar energy. That's 140,000,000,000 watts or converted to joules which you should when converting to other forms of energy usage, that is...12,600,000,000,000 joules or 12.6 terajoules. That's roughly equivalent to getting hit with the International Space Station...

We know in the new52 Superman is 28 and spent 27.5 years on Earth. So we can say that Clark has the potential of having absorbed the above number of joules for 27.5 years and so with a little calculating... That's 31,556,952 seconds a year and 350,632.8 moments a year...9,642,402 moments over 27.5 years... and now that times 12.6 and you get...121,494,265.2 terajoules.

I found the following informat... and again using a little math we can figure out how much Superman can lift

"10 lbs = 4.536 kilograms

3 feet = 0.914 meters

Work done = m*g*h

= 4.536 * 9.8 * 0.914 = 40.63 J"

1,000,000,000,000 lbs = 4.036 terajoules

(121,494,265.2 / 4.036) * 1,000,000,000,000 lbs =

30,102,642,517,343,900,000 lbs OR 13,654,558,645,867,200,000 kilograms

In other words, benching the Earth is nonsense based on Superman Unchained #2 given what we know. Even if we take moment to mean 1 second that only makes it 2,700,000,000,000,000,000,000 lbs... So the question then comes down to the character speaking and the context in which they were speaking. I'd say I believe Batman over the woman who said he Benched the Earth for 5 days... Keep in minds that the number of Joules calculated here is the maximum clark could gain in a lifetime which is (sidenote, the 90x should not apply directly to the poundage like i did earlier this paragraph...i'm not going to calculate out what the actual number, but it should be similar) at best 1 billion terajoules. This isn't a number he maintains but rather the number he could have possibly gone through by this point in his life. This isn't an exact number however given that we don't know if he can absorb at a faster rate, if it's been the same all his life, and this doesn't account for day/night cycle which would cut down on how much light there is to absorb.

But for him to bench the Earth ONCE it would take him absorbing 100,000 times more energy than what we know he'd have and according to the 250,000 reps estimation he's need 25,000,000,000 times more energy than he could have and to be fine enough to continue on after that since we know he likely didn't fly till around 18 he'd still need to be reserving an about 50% of his energy that he have an exact number for...

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh god

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it's 9000

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@l3g3ndarypheonix: Way to blow it out of proportion. Taking it too seriously there, bud. I just did a decent calc of the feat based off of the information I have. I never said it was consistent with his other showings. A simple "I don't think he's actually that strong, given his displayed strength throughout the rest of his New 52 career" would have sufficed. Haha

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth:

It's all cool and I love science.

But trying to calculate anything about Superman or anyother super-powered being, is a good mental exercise at best and a total waste of time at worst.

There's so much about Superman and kryptonians alike we don't know or understand. Their powers are in a logic point of view, strange.

Not so much how they're supposedly powered, but more how they work and are limited. Take their heat vision for example. Even if I was to believe in that energy-in-their-cells-release theory (which I don't) truth be told, a person that has enough energy stored in their cells to physical move the mass of our planet for several days, if that energy was applied to the heat vision, then that ability should be powerful enough that nothing man-made could withstand it. It should be strong enough in a single attack to reduce our blue marble of a planet to dust. But we don't see that, do we?! No. The heat vision is too limited to be credible.

And this is just one example.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SodamYat

@l3g3ndarypheonix: that scan happened right after he benched the weight of the earth for 5 days without sunlight. He never completely replenished his power.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found a calculation that puts New 52 Superman's max bench as being 1 decillion during Superman #13: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/superman-165/i-calculated-how-strong-superman-is-new-52-751618/

Superman is very intelligent and experienced, so I'm sure he knows how to throw a punch. I applied this logic the difference between human's punching/benching and came up with Superman's hardest punch (at that point in time) could be something like 5,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (5.8 Septillion) megatons of force. 53,000,000,000,000,000 megatons is needed to destroy Earth. His punch would be over 100,000,000x greater.

In summary, we've had pros being capable of punching over 10x as much as they bench. That gave me over 10 decillion. That divided by 2000 gave me my result in tons, then divided by 1,000,000 gave me my result in megatons.

if you like doing this kind of math you will find tons of feat to analyze here :http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/new-52-superman-capability-thread-1628483/#104

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

@sodamyat: and when he didn't hold back and fought He'l he hit him so hard the earth shook

Which still isn't close to destroying the earth and it still isn't anywhere close to what OP is suggesting his strength to be

Besides this "calc" is copied and pasted and he's trying to play it off as his own lol

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one consider the earth bench feat as nonsense, just cause the doctor said it doesnt mean its true. What kind of material was the machine made of anyway to support that kind of weight.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: and when he didn't hold back and fought He'l he hit him so hard the earth shook

Which still isn't close to destroying the earth and it still isn't anywhere close to what OP is suggesting his strength to be

Besides this "calc" is copied and pasted and he's trying to play it off as his own lol

right...cause he was never fully replenished...

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l3g3ndarypheonix: but weren't they in the fortress which is much stronger. and he was punching hel instead of the earth

L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@l3g3ndarypheonix said:

The He'l fight was long after he should be have been fully charged by then

L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@l3g3ndarypheonix said:

@sodamyat said:

@l3g3ndarypheonix said:

not it wasnt. it was the same day IIRC

IIRC there was a quite a gap that happened over the span of a couple days

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:
@l3g3ndarypheonix said:
@sodamyat said:
@l3g3ndarypheonix said:

not it wasnt. it was the same day IIRC

IIRC there was a quite a gap that happened over the span of a couple days

not the way i remember it. went from the benching feat to the sun but wasnt repowered fully cause he had to go to work. then work got interrupted because of the dragon and shortly after that he met h'el. there was no mention of days in between

L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I concede on that point can't really find anything if it was the same day or in a span of days

But regardless Superman still was near full power even when he's on earth he's still taking in solar energy as shown in Superman Unchained he only needs a couple of seconds to get back to full power

Why would he need a full day to get back to full power even when he was really close to the sun which should make him at full power even faster

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l3g3ndarypheonix: How did I play it off as my own? The foundation for the calculation I made was the only thing copy/pasted. Everything else was all me. I don't think he is actually capable of this and I never said I believed so. If you read my reply to your first comment, I told you I never said it was consistent with is other showings. There's no need to be an obnoxious dick for no reason.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: Trying to apply sense to comics is never a good idea.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one consider the earth bench feat as nonsense, just cause the doctor said it doesnt mean its true. What kind of material was the machine made of anyway to support that kind of weight.

it's a comic book. the whole thing is nonsense. he can move many times faster than light. once u accept that then benching the earth isn't that big a stretch is it?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Actually the machine he used to train could actually do what it was said it did. Simulate the entire mass of the Earth.

This is comics for cry sakes. Is it so hard to imagine a machine that can generate concentrated artificial gravity. Because to me, it isn't. In a matter of fact if we're gonna talk about crazy stuff, how about the tech displayed in Unchained.

Black Hole missiles, lasers and whatever. That's insanely crazy stuff. They were talking about black holes like they were toys. The most destructive forces in the universe (that we know of) and they had them in missiles. And lasers!?.... That's just lunacy stuff right there. Black holes by their very nature would make that impossible. One can't make a laser out of black holes, if it was a white hole, then it would work. Of course putting off the fact that we're still dealing with forces that could obliterate our entire planet like it was nothing.

That my friends, is crazy.