Metropolis U Series?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

With the current success of the series Gotham Academy, do you think that DC could do a Metropolis version? While Gotham Academy is steeped in the world of mysticism, Metro U could be more in the world of sci fi. A real tribute to the silver age craziness.

Update

SOmeone is stealing my ideas! -

4th DC Streaming Service Show- Metropolis
Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

I wouldn't really care. The style of GA isn't of my liking. I would follow a daily planet or a Men of Steel title though.

I see Daily Planet being as good as Gotham Central was back in the day.

But I also don't see DC doing it. Superman's poor sales aren't motive enough to do such a risky move especially now that DC has to balance their risky titles and Blockbuster titles well.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see Daily Planet being as good as Gotham Central was back in the day.

Eh. The only cast member I even remotely would follow in that series is Lois, and that's by default. There really aren't any a characters on the DP cast that I like. Jimmy would have to get a complete makeover cus as he stands (especially as he is in the current Superman main title), I just don't like him. I think a Metro U title could have a character who aspires to work at the daily.

But I also don't see DC doing it. Superman's poor sales aren't motive enough to do such a risky move especially now that DC has to balance their risky titles and Blockbuster titles well.

They're different audiences though. I like reading different comics, not just ones aimed at me. Pretty sure the people that read series like Batgirl and Gotham Acadamy share a very small percentage in common customer sales with the Batman titles.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're different audiences though. I like reading different comics, not just ones aimed at me. Pretty sure the people that read series like Batgirl and Gotham Acadamy share a very small percentage in common customer sales with the Batman titles.

The reason titles like Batgirl and GA, Harley Quin even exist is that they build on Batman's popularity.

GA wouldn't even last 3 issues if it wasn't for the Gotham in the title and to boost GA's sales, Robin is entering the title as main cast.. Hell, Gotham Midnight a Spectre book, has Gotham in the title just to stay alive. And the reason people even gave it a shot was because of the "Gotham" part.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Squalleon

Btw, GA issue 5 sold only 20.000 copies.

Now take away the collectors that buy anything Batman and the people that buy it because it is of their liking and Batman related and you are left with...what 15-10k.

DC has no reason to take such a chance with MU since the audience isn't there.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@saintwildcard said:

The reason titles like Batgirl and GA, Harley Quin even exist is that they build on Batman's popularity.

GA wouldn't even last 3 issues if it wasn't for the Gotham in the title and to boost GA's sales, Robin is entering the title as main cast.. Hell, Gotham Midnight a Spectre book, has Gotham in the title just to stay alive. And the reason people even gave it a shot was because of the "Gotham" part.

Harley is pretty successful on her own; by average sales her book is the best selling female-led series on the market. She sells more than Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel combined and there were many months where she was selling more than either of the two Avengers books Hickman was writing. I don't think she needs Batman anymore. He hasn't appeared even once in her current series as far as I can remember (apart from the #0 issue where there was that joke about Bruce Timm and Hush). The only Bat-related character who's a part of the cast is Ivy.

Damian isn't joining GA, he joined the school in that one issue and was expelled in the same issue. It was a fun issue with an unexpected call-out to an old, old story about Batman's Scottish ancestry, but that's all it was.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Squalleon

@saren said:

Harley is pretty successful on her own; by average sales her book is the best selling female-led series on the market. She sells more than Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel combined and there were many months where she was selling more than either of the two Avengers books Hickman was writing. I don't think she needs Batman anymore. He hasn't appeared even once in her current series as far as I can remember (apart from the #0 issue where there was that joke about Bruce Timm and Hush). The only Bat-related character who's a part of the cast is Ivy.

Damian isn't joining GA, he joined the school in that one issue and was expelled in the same issue. It was a fun issue with an unexpected call-out to an old, old story about Batman's Scottish ancestry, but that's all it was.

That's why I said the reason those titles "exist" is because of Batman. I don't think DC would take that risk with a character not Batman related. Even the Starfire book is published as a series who will build on Harley's popularity.

Didn't the DCYou ad said "meet GA's Damian Wayne"?

EDIT: Oh you mean the current issue. Okay But I think it is clear it was done for a sales bump no?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

That's why I said the reason those titles "exist" is because of Batman. I don't think DC would take that risk with a character not Batman related. Even the Starfire book is published as a series who will build on Harley's popularity.

Doomed says hello

And he was expelled within that issue. None of the upcoming solicits hint at him

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomed says hello

And he was expelled within that issue. None of the upcoming solicits hint at him

Doomed is written by Lobdell. The guy has the best connections to the executives possible. Also Doomed is a straight forward super-hero title. Not a experimental one.

I didn't know that but it was clearly a sales boost since the title barely sells and in its fifth issue it dropped to 20k.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I just want a series that builds on Metropolis the same way Batman Eternal, Gates of Gotham and Gotham Central did for Gotham. I want to see the history, politics and districts all fleshed out. Give Metropolis it's personality back, it used to be this art deco near future smart city and now it's just a generic New York stand in.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@saren said:

EDIT: Oh you mean the current issue. Okay But I think it is clear it was done for a sales bump no?

I think DC takes those risks fairly often, they just rarely pan out because that's the nature of comics. They gave Vibe, Amethyst and Klarion their own books, and those are all D-list characters. Most attempts fail but you keep trying until something catches on. Kamala Khan, for instance, has caught on for Marvel right now, but before her there were several attempts at pushing old and new female characters that repeatedly failed (and still do, Captain Marvel's book sells like crap every month but Marvel keeps it alive because they've pushed her for so long they can't admit at this point that no one considers her either popular or iconic). Who even remembers that there was a female Ghost Rider?

I don't think Starfire is published as a series that builds on Harley's popularity but rather as one that builds on the popularity of the Conner/Palmiotti team. They've had a good deal of success writing DC's female characters; I'm pretty sure they were put on Harley in the first place because their Power Girl run is popular.

If they really wanted a sales bump they could simply make Damian a permanent member of the cast, especially since Didio has said continuity will take second place to story so there wouldn't be a clash with the Year of Blood in Damian's own book. You can't really do a story about kids in Gotham and ignore Robin.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

I think DC takes those risks fairly often, they just rarely pan out because that's the nature of comics. They gave Vibe, Amethyst and Klarion their own books, and those are all D-list characters. Most attempts fail but you keep trying until something catches on. Kamala Khan, for instance, has caught on for Marvel right now, but before her there were several attempts at pushing old and new female characters that repeatedly failed (and still do, Captain Marvel's book sells like crap every month but Marvel keeps it alive because they've pushed her for so long they can't admit at this point that no one considers her either popular or iconic). Who even remembers that there was a female Ghost Rider?

I don't think Starfire is published as a series that builds on Harley's popularity but rather as one that builds on the popularity of the Conner/Palmiotti team. They've had a good deal of success writing DC's female characters; I'm pretty sure they were put on Harley in the first place because their Power Girl run is popular.

If they really wanted a sales bump they could simply make Damian a permanent member of the cast, especially since Didio has said continuity will take second place to story so there wouldn't be a clash with the Year of Blood in Damian's own book. You can't really do a story about kids in Gotham and ignore Robin.

Ι think most times DC takes those risks is when they have a selling point for it. Vibe had Geoff Johns and the premise he will lead to the Darkseid War (unknown at the time). I see the risks they take but they are almost always smart risks. Klarion was one of the weird ones and I still don't know why. And in the New 52 they pretty much admitted they through everything on the wall to see what sticks.

I mean the same. Didio even said that if you liked HQ you will like Starfire. Indeed, so I believe too and the fact that PG made an appearance kinda confirms it.

Maybe the writers didn't want Damian in and DC tries to give them more freedom than usual.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SaintWildcard

@saren: I enjoyed Vibe more, but the art in Klarion was insane. So good

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a series that builds on Metropolis the same way Batman Eternal, Gates of Gotham and Gotham Central did for Gotham. I want to see the history, politics and districts all fleshed out. Give Metropolis it's personality back, it used to be this art deco near future smart city and now it's just a generic New York stand in.

Yeah, I agree in that. Lex before Superman. How he made Metropolis a well, metropolis :P, the golden age of Daily Planet. Lois' first years. "Tales of Metropolis"

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@squalleon: Tales of Metropolis is a fantastic title. I would like to know more about Metropolitan as a city and its various characters, Lex, DP, SCU, Strikers Prison ect.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon: Tales of Metropolis is a fantastic title. I would like to know more about Metropolitan as a city and its various characters, Lex, DP, SCU, Strikers Prison ect.

Thanks! Its the best way to tell a great amount of stories without being tied to a certain character. Its a story about a city not a person.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker said:

Thanks! Its the best way to tell a great amount of stories without being tied to a certain character. Its a story about a city not a person.

The problem with those time of series is you never know what you're gonna get. A writer can get to know his cast with every issue, but if the cast changes it might be a year or two before he gets full grap of everyone. Plus as said many times on the Podcast, a series with an alternating can be unappealing to some readers.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:
@titanbreaker said:

The problem with those time of series is you never know what you're gonna get. A writer can get to know his cast with every issue, but if the cast changes it might be a year or two before he gets full grap of everyone. Plus as said many times on the Podcast, a series with an alternating can be unappealing to some readers.

Τhe cast will be pretty much the same, the only change will be the focus, DP, Lex, Lois etc. Oh well, its a imaginary title, there is no reason to even discuss it, it won't happen :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

Τhe cast will be pretty much the same, the only change will be the focus, DP, Lex, Lois etc. Oh well, its a imaginary title, there is no reason to even discuss it, it won't happen :P

It's still an alternating cast. Those are a hard sale. Hey, you felt like dissecting and deflating my imaginary title, I just thought I'd return the favor

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:
@saintwildcard said:

It's still an alternating cast. Those are a hard sale. Hey, you felt like dissecting and deflating my imaginary title, I just thought I'd return the favor

Its hardly a big or difficult cast and I imagined it as more changing focus as alternating. And it is something that succeded greatly in the past with 52 and Batman Eternal. I don't see why it won't work now.

You asked for it, I didn't :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BOOM! I sorta called it 2.5 years ago!

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Eto

@saintwildcard: holy....lmao you indeed did.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if Bendis’ take on Action Comics would be like this just to have synergy with the Metropolis tv series.

Bendis said that Action Comics will be more grounded, a closer look at the Daily Planet.

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
ProteusXManRxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wow