• 103 results
#1 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read a great many things that make me uneasy about a film I've been drooling over for quite some time.

Superman is too violent.

The story is thin.

Clark's relationship with Lois is meaningless and stale.

Shannon's performance as Zod is lackluster.

It's too special effects driven.

On and on we go.

Will you be paying theater prices tonight to see Man of Steel or will you stay home?

I'll definitely be going regardless of all the conjecture but what about all of you?

#2 Edited by SOG7dc (6993 posts) - - Show Bio

ill watch the movie and form my own opinion thank you very much

#3 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

I already bought my ticket and will be going tomorrow, I skipped your OP when you said what critics had said because I never read reviews ever it just ruins it for me.

#4 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Im going. I got my prescreening tickets, and im going no matter what.

Ive seen strangely conflicting negative reviews, some saying its too shallow and action packed, and some saying that its dull and too tangled up in being serious/full of gravitas.

Its really strange that people are complaining about the action, imo, as that was always the biggest complaint against Returns, that it lacked action. Returns was essentially an arthouse film and it was considered a flop, this is more summer blockbustery, and still a bunch of critics are unhappy. I am beginning to feel disheartened and just think Superman's time of cinematic dominance is long over.

The whole DC universe rests on this movies shoulders, it is the chosen one. I hope it rocks, and if so, destroys the box office. :/

#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5637 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah it was worth the price of admission.

Superman is too violent.

BS, this was perfectly handled in the movie.

The story is thin.

Hardly, I thought it was an amazingly fun experience.

Clark's relationship with Lois is meaningless and stale.

Wouldn't call it "meaningless and stale", just a little forced

Shannon's performance as Zod is lackluster.

Not lackluster at all. I wouldn't say he stole the show but he was great nonetheless. Zod wasn't that much of a bad guy, he had his reasons for doing what he did.

It's too special effects driven.

The set-up is hardly "special effects driven" and the rest... well, it's Superman versus a bunch of evil Kryptonians, what did you expect? It's not like the movie gets dumb later on, it's still a plot-driven action sequence. Some may say the action scenes are a little too big but I didn't care, it was the perfect translation of comic book action into live action.

You should see the movie yourself and form your own opinion because to me the film was simply spectacular.

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (40826 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want to see it, go see it and make up your own mind. Don't go thinking you'll automatically agree with positives and negatives others have listed.

Staff
#7 Edited by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, those critics are all biased...

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole DC universe rests on this movies shoulders, it is the chosen one. I hope it rocks, and if so, destroys the box office. :/

I really agree. Outside of Nolan's Batman trilogy there have been a lot of disasters in DC movie universe. Green Lantern, Superman Returns, Catwoman, Steel. Ha!

It wasn't my intention to set a gloomy vibe honestly. Critics just piss me off.

#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: Well bro, like I said...they just wanted campy Superman...I read one where he wanted Superman to save cats...

#10 Edited by shakwinn (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to give this a chance. I think DC are a bunch of thieving creeps. They revamped the whole Superman canon just so the heirs of Siegel and Shuster couldn't win their lawsuit. If this movie fails, it will be because of karma. It's a damn shame too. Because I like the DC universe and, I would love to see a Justice League movie. However, fair is fair. Give the Siegel and Shuster's their due. Thanks for letting me post on here. This is a preview of my two web comic series Kasnian Star and Dunkin Skids. Check them out at www.shakwinn.wordpress.com.

#11 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

@glitch_spawn: Well bro, like I said...they just wanted campy Superman...I read one where he wanted Superman to save cats...

Haven't I told you to stop telling lies? smack

#12 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I just found out I can't go see it until tomorrow night. Bummer.

Guess I'll be avoiding The Superman boards in fear of spoilers.

#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

Yes, those critics are all biased...

Amen.

#15 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

@glitch_spawn: :P Its the truth papa Kent!

Haha you mentioning Superman saving cats reminded me of the mild child abuse scene in Superman the Movie.

#16 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: Huh? There was a mild child abuse in that movie?

#17 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GTVN5oP954

#18 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Seen it already. It's better than IM3 anyway, if that helps. Many people paid to see that so why not here?

#19 Posted by Superboy101 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL who listens to critics?

#20 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Seen it already. It's better than IM3 anyway, if that helps. Many people paid to see that so why not here?

Wow im surprised!!

#21 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read a great many things that make me uneasy about a film I've been drooling over for quite some time.

Superman is too violent.

putting it oh so mildly.

#22 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely going to go see it. Maybe twice or three times.

#23 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7737 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to go see it Sunday afternoon when ticket prices are only $5. ;)

#24 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: just so you know, I don't hold a very high opinion of IM3.

#26 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to go see it Sunday afternoon when ticket prices are only $5. ;)

That's a really good idea! I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon before people get off work. I can't stand crowds. Meh.

#27 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

I would pay $100 to watch it if I had to.

#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw it, it is now my favourite superhero movie ever. Seriously, best action, and a TON of heart.

#30 Posted by PopRock123 (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the movie was pretty good movie, I would give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. I only had a few problems like the pacing at times felt kind of rushed, I wished they'd spend more time on character development, and the action while amazing felt repetitive(the rest of my complaints are just personal and very minor quibbles like the romance between Clark and Lois it seemed forced ). Everything else was fine the cast was great, acting was good, cgi was great and the story was good. In the end the price was worth it.

#31 Edited by jer121 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Where do I begin...Let's start with the good: Cavill played a pretty good Superman and I couldn't think of a better actor for the part. The bad: Pretty much everything else. Anything you thought you knew about Superman from the comics were pretty much ignored and rewritten for the movie. Without giving any spoilers, this movie will make you say "WTF" in the baddest way possible at almost every turn. I think DC had a chance to really lay the ground for future Superman/JL movies and just blew it away with this movie. In short, no I don't believe it was worth the $13 I payed and the only way I believe someone will enjoy this movie is if that person came in knowing nothing about the comics or Superman's history

#32 Posted by The Stegman (23969 posts) - - Show Bio

in less than 24 hrs I will see it, and judge for myself. Although, it seems from all the nit picking going on, people are just looking for reasons to hate the movie.

#33 Posted by kamakazi152 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got done watching the movie and would give it 6 to 7 out of 10. I loved the movie definitely had some nit picky things to comment on, but I liked it. Thought it was a good movie to start a Superman series where we can develop with the character. I'm sure some people won't like it, but I enjoyed it. Zack Snyder did well for this one and I feel like it is a Superman movie done better than any of the ones recently and even some of the older ones.

#34 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw it at midnight. First impressions.

- I kind of agree with all the "too much action" part. But not completely. I found myself thinking in the first half of the movie, "man this is pretty boring". Then I found myself thinking in the second half of it, "wow, this is ALOT of action." The pacing was just bad in this film. Its very inconsistent throughout. It's wierd, i've never had these thoughts when watching a cbm before.

- I will say though that when there's action, it is overkill. I counted about 4 skyscrapers that tipped over in about the second half of the movie. I'm surprised the world is still functional. Superman and Zod destroyed everything. During the second half of the movie, wherever superman went, everything was completely destroyed. I've never seen anything like it in a cbm. Literally, metropolis looked like this when the film was over.

- I LOVED FAORA!!!!!! She was the perfect complimentary piece to Zod. I actually liked her and superman's fight better than Superman and zod's though. It was a little less dramatic, and thus better in my opinion. I also really liked Jonathan and Jor's role in this film.

- I feel that this film seems more of a sci - fi movie (not a con. kinda liked this route), than a superman film. Although I got a little superman feel towards the end there.

-Cinematography is BEAUTIFUL!

Overall : 8.5

#35 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

It was more than enough. Why? Cause our theatre only charges us the equivalent of two dollars and you can stay the whole day for replays! :D

#36 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

DEFINITELY worth a look.

#37 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but it was a very entertaining one nonetheless. I'd say it was definitely worth the price of admission.

#38 Edited by Supermansito (197 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw it, it is now my favourite superhero movie ever. Seriously, best action, and a TON of heart.

same here

#39 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: See and you were worried about what RT said. It did have its problems, and that will be rectify in the second movie. But for me the good outweighs the bad. You just can't let people dictate what you will like and not.

#40 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Its worth it. I have my issues with it (and will comment elsewhere), but as comic book fan and a huge Superman fan, its worth it.

#41 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by ItsDaveyJ (196 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw it and I totally think that it is worth paying to see! I've never been the biggest Superman fan but this movie really got me on board with him. Cavill as Superman was flawless!

That said, the movie does have it's issues but I think it is a solid first entry into the Superman cinematic universe and I left wanting to see a sequel and to see this version of Superman in the Justice League.

Overall... 7.5/10.

#43 Posted by toptom (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

can wait to see it!

i am reading of people who compare this film to Thor or Spiderman 3... i hope they are wrong!

#44 Posted by k4tzm4n (40826 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

@deaditegonzo said:

can wait to see it!

i am reading of people who compare this film to Thor or Spiderman 3... i hope they are wrong!

That individual is irrational. They've been spewing hilariously narrow-minded thoughts on the film and think their word is the final authority. "THIS is what comic fans will think. THIS is what regular moviegoers will think. ONLY fanboys will love it/give it 5/5." So yeah, don't be concerned with what some random person on the internet says. See it and judge for yourself.

Staff
#45 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

It is worth the price when not in 3D I think.
Not sure because I got to see it for free thanks to circumstances. (Good thing to because I was gonna avoid seeing it and it is quite good).

The 3D still felt pointless to me though.

#46 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@eternal19: just so you know, I don't hold a very high opinion of IM3.

That's putting it mildly.

in less than 24 hrs I will see it, and judge for myself. Although, it seems from all the nit picking going on, people are just looking for reasons to hate the movie.

Nitpicking?

Words of wisdom - as mentioned prior review scores only really apply to the person giving the review.

It is worth the price when not in 3D I think.

Not sure because I got to see it for free thanks to circumstances. (Good thing to because I was gonna avoid seeing it and it is quite good).

The 3D still felt pointless to me though.

I'm seeing it today if all goes well - somewhat hesitant to grab 3D tickets since I figured it wouldn't really add anything to the film - but then I figured its more than likely going to be showed only 3D and make me a sad panda.

#47 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1411 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw it in IMAX 3D, makes a difference and................

OH MY GOD!! this movie was amazing!! the human aspects were incredible, the super aspects,More so! i cant wait for the sequel,this is what we wanted,the pacing was alright,goes back and forth but makes an impact if u GET whats happening when. there wasnt a moment i felt uninterested,seriously money well spent and Boy did it have Heart!! im so happy!! Supermans back! and Damn!! Cinematography!! Mr.Snyder out did himself.

#48 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

just saw it... a very good superman movie... perhaps even the best, but hardly the greatest cbm ..

#49 Edited by buttersdaman000 (9601 posts) - - Show Bio

I think some people are judging this movie a bit too hard, and in the process are coming out little hypocritical. Too much action? Yet everyone whined over the severe lack of action in Returns. For non-comic book readers and some readers who dislike the more campy Superman? This movie gives you a more assertive, direct Superman. I really don't understand why people are complaining over these two points...Oh, and when I say more assertive, I don't just mean a$$hole-ish like Earth One. I mean a little along the lines of New 52 mixed with some pre-52. This is still pretty much the same Superman, just a new suit.....and no S-Curl!! (One of my nit-picks lol)

However, I do agree with some criticisms.

- The Lois/Superman relationship did seem a little forced. Like they met 3 times and were already in love. But, everyone and their mother knows they end up together. He's not like Batman....or even Spider-Man with their multiple relationships. So I guess the writers were just more concerned with getting to the relationship as opposed to the buildup.

- It annoyed me how easily his identity was discovered by Lois and how she constantly said his real name out in public. I was just thinking someone should be able to connect the dots by now.

- Zod, while a great villain, was, in my opinion, slightly overshadowed by Faora. She was one of my favorite characters int he movie! "A good death is its own reward"

- I can see some pacing issues, but not to the point where everone should be complaining. Yes, the third act is huge and filled with action....about 45 min straight but this is a 2.5 hour movie people.

- I personally thought Pa Kents' death was stupid

- Finally, this movie does smell of Nolan quite a bit. So if you hate Nolan don't watch this movie

Overall, I would give this an 8.5 out of 10. The good easily outweighed the bad.

Edit: Oh and no Ice Breath or Super breath.....

#50 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio