Man of Steel vs New-52 Superman

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Surprisingly, I've seen many say they prefer MOS as an origin to the New-52. Most likely due to good timing.

Both have tried to re-invent Superman, the question is - which did so better?

The Man of Steel

New-52

No Caption Provided

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why should I choose between those two? I like them both.

… But anyway, New-52 Superman comics – I have opportunity to read several new issues every month for years forward, while MOS Superman (if I lucky) will appear in 4-5 movies. Plus New-52 Supes equals Morrison and Pak’s Supes which by far my favorite ever take on Clark. So, New-52 gets a W from me.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frozen  Moderator

@sanohibiki: MOS Superman doesn't strike me as someone who would throw someone off a building and then catch him last second.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@sanohibiki: MOS Superman doesn't strike me as someone who would throw someone off a building and then catch him last second.

My first thought – what was that about? OP was “MOS and New-52 reinvented Superman origins. Which did that better?” My vote goes to New-52.

My second thought – too bad for MOS Supes, because sometimes that would be pretty useful.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

My first thought – what was that about? OP was “MOS and New-52 reinvented Superman origins. Which did that better?” My vote goes to New-52.

My second thought – too bad for MOS Supes, because sometimes that would be pretty useful.

I was just pointing it out - there was a sharp contrast, in some aspects MOS Superman seems more in tune with the post-crisis version but less experienced.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

I was just pointing it out - there was a sharp contrast, in some aspects MOS Superman seems more in tune with the post-crisis version but less experienced.

I think that pretty much every Superman version has his own method of scaring people.

Reeve’s Superman – in the first Superman movie he let that burglar fall and caught after the last one was sufficiently terrified;

In “Lois and Clark” Supes done exactly “throw someone off a building and then catch him last second” that.

In Pre-New-52 Superman scared the sh…t out of elements in the For Tomorrow storyline by implying that if they would kill humanity, he will destroy what remains of Earth and stop their existence – permanently. Also I remember, sometime after WW 3 Superman caught sniper and said something like “Talk to me or else”, while refused to talk – delivered that man to Batman to scare the daylights out of him. It seems to me that he wasn’t really opposed to intimidation tactics.

MOS – well, we didn’t see Supes in situation when something like that was required from him, so I wouldn’t know what he will do.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 frozen  Moderator

@sanohibiki: In the Golden Age, he shot someone but sped towards him, caught the bullet and moved back to his original position to make it look like he never moved. And in Kingdom Come, he nearly killed everyone in the U.N.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

In the Golden Age, he shot someone but sped towards him, caught the bullet and moved back to his original position to make it look like he never moved.

Yeah, forgot about that one.

And in Kingdom Come, he nearly killed everyone in the U.N.

I don’t think that this count as intimidation tactic; that was more like “I WILL KILL YOU ALL!!!”- rage mode.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard

I like the MoS origin more but I enjoyed New 52's rookie personality more.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 frozen  Moderator

Elaborate on both points.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Jphu8414

I loved the Man of Steel origin, reminded me alot of both the original Superman (1978) movie along with the Superman: Birthright comic.
I think I prefer it just a by a bit over the New 52 origin, but Grant Morrison's Action Comics runs was great.

No Caption Provided

Just love that costume...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Neither.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Elaborate on both points.

Not much to explain really. N52's personality was fun, he was cocky and brash. Greg Pak gave him great inner reflection moments in BM/SM and Zero Year. His attitude when fighting Batman in BM/SM had me rolling.

But the origin in MoS was more interesting, action packed and dramatic. It's also was a more fitting way of introducing him to the world by having him save it from a huge threat and not just beating up mob guys.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By 2cool4fun
No Caption Provided

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By EnigmaLantern
W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By W3BST3R

MOS because even after all this time, I still hate how Supes gets his suit in AC.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Bezza

MOS I think. The New 52 Superman is a bit of a jerk at times!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Greg Pak Action Comics wins for me, if that's allowed :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Wolverine008

Boom.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

New 52 Superman: a total jackass who treats his allies like sh*t and is wearing armor. Superman in armor is like those jerks who put eyelashes on their cars.

Man of Steel Superman: The shining example of heroism that Superman should be. Was helping people and inspiring them to be better since he was a kid.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@toplel said:

They both suck? They tried to do something that didn't need to be done. And failed.

The OP is referring to origins. Grant did a very good job imo in Action Comics.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..has anyone's views changed now Geoff Johns is back writing Superman with his more familiar old school Supes....?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By redwingx

@jphu8414 said:

I loved the Man of Steel origin, reminded me alot of both the original Superman (1978) movie along with the Superman: Birthright comic.

I think I prefer it just a by a bit over the New 52 origin, but Grant Morrison's Action Comics runs was great.

No Caption Provided

Just love that costume...

I don't understand why hes wearing an armor in new52 when he already had one. Not a single scratch on thoat costume!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like both. New 52 superman started off as brash but was always the hero protecting those around him even when they hated him. Man of steel superman saved countless lives even when it meant that he would be mocked or people would be afraid. Both are fine interpretations of the character.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@toplel said:

@squalleon: In general, though, the new 52 Superman has been pretty crappy for the most part. No one could really follow up Morrison.

Well the writers that came after Morrison weren't on his league though...for a brief time Superman had Lobdell and Tony Daniels as his main writers!
Pak and Johns seem to do a good job now. I think the New 52 Superman is starting to find his balance and stride.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52, no contest.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blackhawk000111

@squalleon said:

@toplel said:

@squalleon: In general, though, the new 52 Superman has been pretty crappy for the most part. No one could really follow up Morrison.

Well the writers that came after Morrison weren't on his league though...for a brief time Superman had Lobdell and Tony Daniels as his main writers!

Pak and Johns seem to do a good job now. I think the New 52 Superman is starting to find his balance and stride.

This

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myst1que

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the Superman in the movie Man of Steel based on the New 52 Supes?

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Of the two, New-52.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wasn't the original golden age superman a jerk.? didn't he kill people. i think a lot of u guys are looking at suped through rose colored glasses