• 78 results
Posted by brainstorm01 (688 posts) 6 months, 21 days ago

''like'' or ''hate'' superman? (68 votes)

like 85%
hate 15%
#1 Posted by Dratini1331 (6412 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a great heroic character, and can be just an excellent character in general if written correctly.

#2 Posted by green_skaar (4105 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle...and hating a made up character?

#3 Posted by Phoenixgeist (3667 posts) - - Show Bio

hate.

absorbing solar radiation from our puny sun shouldn't make anyone so strong, or FTL, or even increase durablity whatsoever. DC always has to have OP characters...

#4 Posted by Cgoodness (2290 posts) - - Show Bio

Like what he stands for, dislike how a green rock and magic knife could take him out

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a hard one. I'll have to do some research.

#6 Edited by Pr0metheus (3171 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7796 posts) - - Show Bio

F***ING LOVE HIM

#8 Posted by dondave (26706 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes said:

hate.

absorbing solar radiation from our puny sun shouldn't make anyone so strong, or FTL, or even increase durablity whatsoever. DC always has to have OP characters...

But being powered by Gamma radiation is better

#9 Posted by OreoAssassin (2798 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate him. Boring character

#10 Posted by Thanofleeze (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

Like what he stands for, dislike how a green rock and magic knife could take him out

What does he stand for, though? He's definitely not Captain America. His moral code is kryptonean and that sometimes gets in the way.

#11 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10341 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by JudgeNeptune (224 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the most Iconic Superhero ever made, some people might say, that he is an icon for the United States, (Like Cap America) but I'm from Chile, and I grew up reading his comics.

#13 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness said:

What does he stand for, though? He's definitely not Captain America. His moral code is kryptonean and that sometimes gets in the way.

honestly i don't mean to sound rude but you obviously don't know Superman if that's your answer, also the latter part of your statement makes no sense. And IMO in terms of morals and what the character stands for and the like, Captain America isn't at the same level as Superman. Truth, Justice and the American way, doesn't get any simpler than that.

Answering the OP- I love him, an icon,an ideal. There's alot more to Superman than people give him credit for.

#14 Edited by Thanofleeze (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

@thanofleeze said:

@cgoodness said:

honestly i don't mean to sound rude but you obviously don't know Superman if that's your answer, also the latter part of your statement makes no sense. And IMO in terms of morals and what the character stands for and the like, Captain America isn't at the same level as Superman. Truth, Justice and the American way, doesn't get any simpler than that.

Answering the OP- I love him, an icon,an ideal. There's alot more to Superman than people give him credit for.

My friend, I was commenting on what they stand for. Superman originally stood for all the American values (during WW2) but then he started morphing. His concept of justice became less blindly patriotic (like Cap America) and he started using his own reasoning, up to the point where he renounced his "American citizenship".

This is why I speak of "Kryptonean values", which really are what molds his concepts of justice. Poor choice of words maybe, but I hope I explain myself now.

#15 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely love Superman and I don't understand why 20 of these threads pop up every week

#16 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@thanofleeze: That makes sense :) I honestly wasn't a fan of 'the incident' story, at least now it's obsolete.

#17 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely love Superman and I don't understand why 20 of these threads pop up every week

Ain't it the truth?

#18 Posted by Mitrageist (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend, I was commenting on what they stand for. Superman originally stood for all the American values (during WW2) but then he started morphing. His concept of justice became less blindly patriotic (like Cap America) and he started using his own reasoning, up to the point where he renounced his "American citizenship".

This is why I speak of "Kryptonean values", which really are what molds his concepts of justice. Poor choice of words maybe, but I hope I explain myself now.

He renounced his citizenship because he couldn't act without being seen as a representative of the U.S. His only values are the ones he gained from his adoptive parents and (I think) travelling the world and learning from monks. There's no way for Kryptonian values to have influenced him as much as those other two. Besides that, Cap isn't really blindly patriotic, he has a huge love for the country but he has a bunch of reasons why rather than saying "America! F*** Yeah!" See: his "move" speech to Spider-man during the Civil War.

#19 Posted by Thanofleeze (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (9931 posts) - - Show Bio

Like. Some people find him boring but I view him as a great moral compass. He might be fictional but he's a great role model.

#21 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (5604 posts) - - Show Bio

Like.

Though like and hate seem like slightly biased options...like means to moderately enjoy, while hate means to completely despise.

#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15922 posts) - - Show Bio

If you hate superman. you haven't read much about it.

#23 Posted by Mitrageist (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: I stand corrected :)

Oh. Cool :). I definitely agree that Superman uses more of his own reasoning rather than just following the U.S, but it's because of different reasons.

Did you find that speech? I used to not really care for Cap, but when I read that I actually saw him as a real character for the first time.

#24 Edited by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes: it burns you that batman could do anything in that situation doesnt it?

#25 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4074 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that people who find Superman boring or OP simply don't know him (or any of the other crapload of heroes and villains that can eat him for breakfast). He's a great character and he has great stories. Great villains too, Lex is a great character for example.

And like others have said here, he's no less than an icon. He's an icon for everything that's good, basically. I can ask my grandma "Who is Superman?" and maybe she won't even know well enough. But if I ask her "What is a 'Superman'?", she'll know. A Superman is a strong man, not only physically. Superman is a symbol. Love him.

#26 Posted by Wolverine08 (26601 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to get into him as of now.

#27 Edited by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I can help with that if you want :P

Also I really like him in case you can't tell everyone else.

#28 Posted by Phoenixgeist (3667 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: hulk is powered by his rage and from my understanding gives off gama radiation. Gama radiation caused his initial transformation into the being he is today, but he isn't powered by it like a kryptonian under a yellow sun.

how could absorbing radiation form our little itty bitty sun, make you FTL, or strong enough to hold black holes? it makes no sense.

#29 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@thanofleeze said:

@mitran: I stand corrected :)

Oh. Cool :). I definitely agree that Superman uses more of his own reasoning rather than just following the U.S, but it's because of different reasons.

Did you find that speech? I used to not really care for Cap, but when I read that I actually saw him as a real character for the first time.

This one right? It's good stuff

#30 Posted by Mitrageist (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: Yeah, that. The first thing I read that made him likable for me, and I loved the inclusion of his inspirations - including Twain was a good move. Now I've got quite a bit more respect for him.

#31 Posted by Wolverine08 (26601 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

I can help with that if you want :P

Also I really like him in case you can't tell everyone else.

Oh, thanks man! I've heard stories like All Star Superman, Birthright, etc. thrown around so I was wondering which would be best for someone to start Superman.

I was also thinking about one of Superman's current New 52 series. I've heard good things about Scott Snyder and Superman Unchained, but I was frankly not too keen on his Batman series, and I am wondering if Unchained is just getting hype because of Snyder like his Batman series.

#32 Posted by Phoenixgeist (3667 posts) - - Show Bio

@turel_hash_ak_gik: what? i hate batman even more than i do superman... so lets not go there...

#33 Posted by Wolverine08 (26601 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by Phoenixgeist (3667 posts) - - Show Bio

@turel_hash_ak_gik:

in comics? Very long list.. but Cap, iron fist, pete, sentry, moonknight, bullseye, heralds, graviton, thor, tony, the cap U's, hawkeye, etc.

if manga counts it's an even longer list lol

Enel, Ganfall, Aizen, gohan, uryū, vegeta, kenishi, L, natoa, suigetsu, shino, sanji, marco, etc

#36 Posted by HumanRocket (4854 posts) - - Show Bio

Like him in JL and JLU and his animated series in the 90s. Really never read any of his comics so can't say anything about. Same for MOS ill get to it by the end of this week but nothing but likes from me to big blue.

#37 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a great character. It annoys me when someone acts like he's only a pile of feats and powers for the sake of their strawman argument.

#38 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Personally, I think Unchained has been a good series so far, but is very new still so they haven't given themselves much opportunity to screw it up. Action Comics has also been good, but I'd suggest hitting that from the very beginning.

A lot of readers on here haven't liked the Superman title as you may have noticed (Lodbell gets no love). Personally I don't think it's been THAT bad overall but there has been some lacklustre issues and the H'el story arc was a bit anti-climactic (one of those "great concept, not so great execution" type moments). I haven't really liked the psy-war arc though. Could skip that and be perfectly happy.

#39 Posted by Wolverine08 (26601 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by TheHipKid (7194 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish to name son Kal or daughter Lora, I buy 6 Superman comics a month, I changed my facebook name from Roger to Rog-El and I saw MoS twice, in other wordsI hate Superman Xb

#41 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, thanks man! I've heard stories like All Star Superman, Birthright, etc. thrown around so I was wondering which would be best for someone to start Superman.

I was also thinking about one of Superman's current New 52 series. I've heard good things about Scott Snyder and Superman Unchained, but I was frankly not too keen on his Batman series, and I am wondering if Unchained is just getting hype because of Snyder like his Batman series.

Well IMO you should start with some of the origin stories. Birthright and Bryne's Man of Steel mini series would be awesome places to look at well written Superman origins. Then you can get more into the bigger stories like All Star Superman, For The Man Who Has Everything, What's So Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way and more. The Vine did a top 100 Superman stories list which I'll link you to here http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the_poet/blog/comic-vines-top-100-superman-universe-stories/88897/

As for Unchained, if my word means anything as someone who thinks his Batman run is incredibly overrated, his Unchained work has been good so far. He's brought a much greater sense of Superman's core character into the New 52, dealt with the supporting cast of Metropolis excellently and is crafting an engaging, well written plot that looks set to expand new corners in the DCU and challenge Superman to his physical, emotional and moral core if Snyder's interviews are to be believed. His third issue comes a bit unstuck though as he writes the angry jerk Superman in that issue. Aside from that fallback, I do like Unchained's story and even moreso for my favourite artist doing the interiors. But if you're not a fan of Snyder's writing, it might not be for you.

#42 Posted by MatteoPG (1620 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes said:

@dondave: hulk is powered by his rage and from my understanding gives off gama radiation. Gama radiation caused his initial transformation into the being he is today, but he isn't powered by it like a kryptonian under a yellow sun.

how could absorbing radiation form our little itty bitty sun, make you FTL, or strong enough to hold black holes? it makes no sense.

That's a really poor argument. All superpowers don't make sense, even the ones of the people you later mentioned. Why would real world physics have any matter into how the physiology of a fictional alien work?

It's like saying: "Peter parker? He's stupid. Being bitten by a radioactive spider wouldn't give you powers, just an itchy spot. Magic? But magic doesn't exiiiiiist!"

#43 Posted by Wolverine08 (26601 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

Thanks for the info man! This will make getting into Superman a lot more easier!

#44 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Glad to help. Perhaps I can ask you about Wolverine stories in the future when I'm looking to properly get into him.

#45 Posted by DeathHero61 (3113 posts) - - Show Bio

#46 Posted by AllStarSuperman (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08:

read in this order:

• AllStarSuperman
  • Man of Steel
  • Birthright
  • Secret Origin
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • Action Comics 1-8, annual 1, 8-12, 0, 13-18.

For Tomorrow is okay, not great. I say jump in on Action Comics 25, New creative team (Greg Pak!)

#47 Edited by Wolverine08 (26601 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by AllStarSuperman (15763 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (8050 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him.

#50 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes said:

@turel_hash_ak_gik:

in comics? Very long list.. but Cap, iron fist, pete, sentry, moonknight, bullseye, heralds, graviton, thor, tony, the cap U's, hawkeye, etc.

if manga counts it's an even longer list lol

Enel, Ganfall, Aizen, gohan, uryū, vegeta, kenishi, L, natoa, suigetsu, shino, sanji, marco, etc

so becoming a super human from a shot, being so good at martial arts you can split air craft carriers in half with your hand, getting bitten by a radioactive spider and not dying but rather getting super powers, becoming a defacto superman from a syringe, getting super powers from the moon, being able to hit anything with anything, getting powers from a giant space dude who eats planets, having control over gravity, being a thunder "god" and having a hammer that can fly ftl, being so smart you can build any armor for any occasion and accounting for someone who is intangible, and being so skilled with a bow and arrow you never miss are all more believable then superman because..........why?